IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

Carry on being your best selves from here:

Coming with a soundtrack that tells us that we're all living in a world of fools. :)

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Btw - is dipping stuff in apple cider vinegar a thing in the South? At first I felt a bit weirded out, til I realised that I absolutely LOVE salt and vinegar crisps!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

My mom dappled with JW's, and her best friend became one for awhile (in a different town). My mom tricked me into the whole "studying" thing. I was a young teenager and she wasn't happy with the road I was going down so she asked one day if I'd like to study with Sue, the daughter of the woman my mom studied with.  I sincerely thought she meant study school stuff and said sure. I liked Sue, and I liked their family. So every Saturday for two years I ended up doing bible study with them. Went to church with them, spent the day at their house, even went to a conference of sorts once.  I have to say, the family I studied with were super sweet. The parents were kind to me, great with their own kids, loving towards each other. I enjoyed my time with them, but  just couldn't go along with their beliefs. I questioned them about everything, and eventually found my voice enough to say no more. My mom's best friend? Her daughter is now my best friend. She grew up in the religion and experienced terrible abuse from her step-father, who was an elder in the church. Her mom confronted the church about the situation and they said my friend was making it up. Her mom left the step-dad and the religion and thankfully took her kids out of the situation. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 9

12 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Btw - is dipping stuff in apple cider vinegar a thing in the South? At first I felt a bit weirded out, til I realised that I absolutely LOVE salt and vinegar crisps!

Nope. Not a "Southern thing."

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

My friend's neighbor is JW, and they both have kids and all the neighborhood kids play together. At first, whenever my friend would have a birthday party for one of her kids, the JW neighbors never came. But the last few years they've started coming to the party. I remember the first time the neighbor came my friend asked if her mom knew and if she was ok with it. Her reply was "Yes but she told me it was ok because even though we don't do birthdays it was a special day for Lilly". Like ummmmm so why is it ok to celebrate someone else's birthday?  

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

Nope. Not a "Southern thing."

Thanks! It's fun to learn what's cultural and what's just an individual thing... especially when it's about Southern stuff for some reason :my_angel:

4 minutes ago, LillyP said:

My friend's neighbor is JW, and they both have kids and all the neighborhood kids play together. At first, whenever my friend would have a birthday party for one of her kids, the JW neighbors never came. But the last few years they've started coming to the party. I remember the first time the neighbor came my friend asked if her mom knew and if she was ok with it. Her reply was "Yes but she told me it was ok because even though we don't do birthdays it was a special day for Lilly". Like ummmmm so why is it ok to celebrate someone else's birthday?  

Yeah, makes me wonder. Might be a case of "we are doubting and maybe want to be out, but aren't admitting it to ourselves yet, really." It starts from little things.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, LillyP said:

Growing up a friend of mine was JW and missed out on all the celebrations. I’d be curious if your neighbor grew up JW and didn’t want her daughter to miss out on the fun she may have. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

22 minutes ago, LillyP said:

That's totally breaking JW code because JWs aren't supposed to consciously socially interact with "worldly" people-i.e. people not JW.  My converted JW neighbor used to let her kids still play with the lapsed Catholic kids next door even after their conversion.  I wondered if it was because even though she brought the kids along with her for the JW ride, her husband did not join in and asked that his kids retain at least some normalcy from their past life. 

• Upvote 6

I’m surprised DavidnCil who used to like everything Jill posted had to unfollow Jill on Instagram but is still following Jinger and follows her siblings who left the cult. It seems Anna stopped liking Jill’s posts after they made the first Youtube Q&A video.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 9

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I’m surprised DavidnCil who used to like everything Jill posted had to unfollow Jill on Instagram but is still following Jinger and follows her siblings who left the cult. It seems Anna stopped liking Jill’s posts after they made the first Youtube Q&A video.

Who's DavidnCil?

On 1/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, finnlassie said:

Apple cider vinegar is a massive food trend in the states, because it was being praised for it's health benefits.  There's always some food people latch on to for it's health benefits. Usually the benefits are overly hyped.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

33 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Apple cider vinegar is a massive food trend in the states, because it was being praised for it's health benefits.  There's always some food people latch on to for it's health benefits. Usually the benefits are overly hyped.

I wouldn’t call it a trend, it’s been a staple in our pantry for 20+ years. 

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1

8 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

It was definitely a trend in the circles I run in. That and coconut oil blew up in my friend group at the same time.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I remember coconut oil becoming popular but I didn't really pay much attention to apple cider vinegar. We have always used in our house. My grandmother used it a lot, both topically and in cooking. My grandmother used to make her own apple cider vinegar occasionally. She made apple scrap vinegar often though and cooked with both.

• Upvote 5

I use vinegar if I make pickles or to clean lime deposits from some things. That's all.  I can't imagine dipping chips 8n vinegar. Yuck!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

It's one of the current food trends. I get that it is an older food that's been around for while, but it blew up a few years ago as a super food. There are trends in cooking and eating, just like anything else. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

10 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I use vinegar if I make pickles or to clean lime deposits from some things. That's all.  I can't imagine dipping chips 8n vinegar. Yuck!

I've never dipped chips in vinegar but salt and vinegar chips are my favorite. I also love fries with a healthy dose of malt vinegar. I'd try dipping chips in though I don't buy chips/crisps often. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

A lot of people here put vinegar on hot chips. Is that just an Aussie thing? Maybe we got it from the poms? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

It was definitely a trend in the circles I run in. That and coconut oil blew up in my friend group at the same time.

I've used a little bit of coconut oil mixed with dog food as a supplement for my dogs for years and was really surprised when it took off as like a health thing. The only thing I've ever noticed is my dogs coat looks better, but we have to watch it with one of them because it's fatty and causes pancreatitis flair ups in one.  

• Upvote 1

U.S. here. I typically eat my French fries (chips) without anything on them unless I'm someplace that has malt vinegar. Then my fries are always doused in malt vinegar.

• Upvote 5

Note for everyone commenting on salt and vinegar chips.  Jill showed Sam dipping tortilla chips in vinegar.  Not potato chips.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

U.S. here. I typically eat my French fries (chips) without anything on them unless I'm someplace that has malt vinegar. Then my fries are always doused in malt vinegar.

I need to start doing this again... Honestly, mayo and malt vinegar are my go to stuff with chips. I'm not that into ketchup, and I only like the mustard my gran makes. ?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, purple_summer said:

It's something I've always had in my pantry, but I can't say that I'd ever heard of people just straight up drinking it (or drinking it mixed with water) for "health benefits" until the last couple years. Just the thought of drinking multiple tablespoons of it turns my stomach.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic