IGNORED

John Shrader 20: The Little Plane that Dared

samurai_sarah

There is no amount of anything including money that would make me put up with him. Plus I’m sure I would end up ruining it for everyone else because at some point I would start yelling at him to stop talking and end the service.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Apparently John has been living under a rock for the past few years. He “just saw a report today about a Muslim massacre of professing Christians in Mozambique, which is one of our neighboring countries! We are not concerned as far as Zambia, but our hearts break to think of the slaughter perpetuated by Isis just “next door”. Africa needs your prayers.”

This isn’t exactly new. The terrorist organization there has been indiscriminately killing the local population for more than a year. They’ve been beheading children while their parents hide in bushes, kidnapping, and otherwise terrorizing the local communities (the majority of which, btw, are Muslim themselves). Nearly 3,000 people have been killed and estimates are that 3/4 of a million people have been displaced  

I don’t understand how you can live “in the neighborhood” as John says and just be hearing about it. They’ve even raided across the border into Tanzania more than once.  And FWIW, the massacre I’m assuming he’s talking about (although I wouldn’t characterize it the same way he does) would be the assault on Palma two weeks ago. They seized a town where foreign contractors stay while working on the nearby oil project that the insurgents are trying to gain control of.  Officially 19 people died, but hundreds of people were holed up in a hotel and tried to evacuate by a 17 vehicle convoy. 10 of the vehicles, and the people who were on them, are still missing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

don’t understand how you can live “in the neighborhood” as John says and just be hearing about it

Me neither. I live far from Mozambique and knew about at least the Palma assault (although not how bad it was overall - news is not consistently covered, sigh). I would have expected that they would at least tune into the local English-speaking news services so as to know what the local/regional issues were though.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

More babble from John about the trials of Africa. 

Spoiler

Four years ago we were passing through what has probably been the second most challenging time we have experienced here in Zambia.

God indeed brought us through it. He worked it together for good in a far greater way than we could ever have imagined!

We had been threatened, including my wife and children, and lies told to the Government in an attempt to have us thrown out of the country.

It was a very stressful, difficult, heartbreaking and truly trying time.

But out of it, God gave us a relationship with a Government Official that has helped us time and time again.

The Lord, in His Greatness and Wisdom, has allowed every trial that has come into our lives.

Men of both our own country and from Africa have tried to slander us, destroy our testimony, and hinder the work. Actually, another has been doing the same even over the last year.

I don't say any of this to complain.

I rejoice in it all, because God has and will continue to keep His Word.

The words I wrote in the memory shared below, four years ago, still rings true.

After all we have passed though, and to see the Lord care so mightily for us, when we, in obedience to Matthew 6:6, are very careful now not to publish our needs to men.

To everyone that God has used to sustain us, encourage us, and hold us up before the Throne of Grace over the years,

Thank you.

God is radically changing lives here in Africa.

My heart's desire would be to see thousands giving their lives to Christ.

Hundreds of churches planted.

Men being trained by the dozens.

If the Lord tarries, this may one day be a reality.

But it will take faithful men who shall be able to teach others also, a II Timothy 2:2 model, which is my life's verse.

Please continue to pray with us for such Men.

Thank you dear friends,

Bro. John Shrader

Zambia

Esther Shrader

Rick-Jodi Shrader

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

Me thinks there is trouble in John’s little patch of paradise again.  He could be slipping into another manic phase too.

• Upvote 9

I think his donations may have dried up and he wants to encourage people to give more. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

John now has others littering Zambia with tracts. 

Spoiler

626541755_Screenshot_20210421-072018_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0724f039a74c1a19005be5fa55e41392.jpg

Amazing how many more contacts you can make when you speak the language and aren't a dick about it!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I'm intrigued by the reference to "the coming Judgement."  Does Bro. Shrader believe the Judgement is imminent or just at some vague point in the future?

• Upvote 4

On 4/16/2021 at 7:16 AM, Botkinetti said:

I think his donations may have dried up and he wants to encourage people to give more. 

Sounds like it (even though he insists he’s not looking for funds). He posted a picture of imported butter and pointed out that it’s $6 a pound. In the same post he mentions buying milk in a bag (so, local milk) why does the price of imported butter matter if you buy the cheaper locally produced stuff instead?

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

John posted an update on his hymnals a few days ago. It says he included some of the updated hymns but of course he doesn't say how many. Maybe he only completed 1 or 2 at the most. And of course the kids are doing all the labor. 

Spoiler

318780104_202104171Shrader.jpg.d3d2f784c0578f4f18aec506674218cb.jpg

297553153_202104172Shrader.jpg.cfdd9f93da9fd96d5d7791ac35e48d19.jpg

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 6

So no just "making a joyful noise unto the Lord" then John? Only Teaching and Admonishing. His ministry is so bereft of any joy, seriously.

And can I just say how much the "12 Arrows" part both irritates and squicks me out? Yes John, you and Esther are fertile and giving your children a sub-par education along with their indoctrination to try and keep them on board with your cult. I really hope they get out.

• Upvote 11

16 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

His ministry is so bereft of any joy, seriously.

John's entire weltanschauung lacks spontanaity, joy, self awareness, empathy, compassion.  He wants ONLY to share this extremely narrow aspect of Christianity -- the soul saved by grace alone.  The particulars of the people the soul inhabits seem of little interest to him. He has zero interest in works.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

22 hours ago, Howl said:

He has zero interest in works.

That's what Esther is for:  cook,clean, child care, spawning.....

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, gustava said:

That's what Esther is for:  cook,clean, child care, spawning.....

Oh my gosh, yes, this is an excellent point.

Your comment created a lightbulb moment for me:  these oldest sons of  patriarchal megafamilies with failed fathers: the Nauglers, the JRods, the Shraders. 

They sons are raised as incomplete men -- the mom is actually the strong person taking care of the physical and emotional needs of family life, but as a woman her work and being has no inherent value.  The weak father has inherent value and status because penis, but can't model strong emotional, practical or social skills for their sons.  

These Shrader and Rodriguez sons are taught that they have inherent status in patriarchy, but are simply unequipped to go into the world and thrive, they fail to launch and retreat back to the eccentric nuclear family with preacher/missionary as the only option.  The Naugler sons, sweet Rufus, the only thing those boys are good at is getting girlfriends pregnant -- and impregnating is the only thing their father is (was?) consistently good at. 

Other megafamilies launch their sons with no problems: The Lockwoods (remember Jaynee and Daniel?), the Duggars and lots of others. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 18
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Other megafamilies launch their sons with no problems: The Lockwoods (remember Jaynee and Daniel?), the Duggars and lots of others. 

I'm not sure how well the Duggar sons would have done without the money they have. I believe most of them are in real estate or something adjacent to that, because they can just buy and sell properties (or cars), and they are still under Jim Bob's thumb. Without the family money, that wouldn't be as possible. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

Again John posts

"Again...numbers mean nothing necessarily...

(yes, that's alliterative, just can't help myself!)"

then brags about how many people were at his service and in the ladies bible study. 

Sure John, you keep telling yourself that numbers don't matter to you. Post when you don't have any people at your service to prove numbers don't matter to you. We know the truth!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

On 4/24/2021 at 8:06 AM, Howl said:

Oh my gosh, yes, this is an excellent point.

Your comment created a lightbulb moment for me:  these oldest sons of  patriarchal megafamilies with failed fathers: the Nauglers, the JRods, the Shraders. 

They sons are raised as incomplete men -- the mom is actually the strong person taking care of the physical and emotional needs of family life, but as a woman her work and being has no inherent value.  The weak father has inherent value and status because penis, but can't model strong emotional, practical or social skills for their sons.  

These Shrader and Rodriguez sons are taught that they have inherent status in patriarchy, but are simply unequipped to go into the world and thrive, they fail to launch and retreat back to the eccentric nuclear family with preacher/missionary as the only option.  The Naugler sons, sweet Rufus, the only thing those boys are good at is getting girlfriends pregnant -- and impregnating is the only thing their father is (was?) consistently good at. 

I would say Josh Duggar is a spectacular example of failure to launch. And how many of his married brothers are self-supporting?  (I see @NoneIsEnough got there first. I should have read the whole thread.) The Duggars were able to take their freak show on TLC which skews the results. 

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 12

On 4/24/2021 at 10:06 AM, Howl said:

I think the Lockwoods have been able to launch their adult children because they let go of the reigns a bit. Maybe they would have if they stayed in Mexico or maybe they had to because of what happened to make them leave Mexico. I am glad the Lockwood kids seem to be doing ok, even though they appear to still be in the fundie world. 

Now where do the Arndt kids adults land? I think they have launched better than many since they have job skills but they still live at home. So weird; especially now that I know the oldest would be in my age range to date <shudder>. 

• Upvote 7

@Howl brought up the Lockwoods, had to go search how they are doing. Bekah (Beka; Jayne spells it both ways) just got back from college. Per a posting in the 9/4/2020, 3 of the kids are in college. Granted all bible colleges but none are in easy driving distant to CA. 

My kiddos off at the airport to fly to their perspective Bible colleges. Beka is in Hammond, Indiana at Hyles Anderson and Ben and Isaiah are in Longview, Texas at Texas Independence Baptist Seminary and Schools

The choices for girls at Hyles Anderson are horrible. I hope she is going to the media program. It teaches photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, HTML, CSS, video editing and production, photography and marketing. Yes, all on how to spread the gospel but those skills could translate into non-religious jobs and good money. . 

Texas independence baptist seminary isn't any better, all programs revolve around minister, church music, missions or general study. If they had gone to Hyles with their sister they could have at least had the media program. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

John managed three posts for mother's day - one was share from Esther, one a happy 40th birthday wish for Esther (featuring a photo of the two of them, even in a birthday post she doesn't get a solo photo?), and one a bit of a gloat fest about having 150 people at their Mother's Day service. 

Esther's post interested me:

Spoiler

1517561294_Screenshot_20210511-202207_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6a84cf7967bc91cd0e760af7ff5fceda.jpg

Two things - so you can sing a hymn in "one of the vernacular languages" (... seriously? "Vernacular"?!) but still require a translator to preach, and of course they are focusing on the importance of making sure they have been Born Again. Nothing like spreading your requirement that you constantly recite the magic words without relying on faith that you are, in fact, saved.

I'm glad Esther has a circle of women she talks to, although I wonder what it looks like from the other women's side given the potential power imbalance. 

Happy 40th Esther. I hope your friends and family sang happy birthday to you, in whatever vernacular language they chose.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

John managed three posts for mother's day - one was share from Esther, one a happy 40th birthday wish for Esther (featuring a photo of the two of them, even in a birthday post she doesn't get a solo photo?), and one a bit of a gloat fest about having 150 people at their Mother's Day service. 

Esther's post interested me:

Two things - so you can sing a hymn in "one of the vernacular languages" (... seriously? "Vernacular"?!) but still require a translator to preach, and of course they are focusing on the importance of making sure they have been Born Again. Nothing like spreading your requirement that you constantly recite the magic words without relying on faith that you are, in fact, saved.

I'm glad Esther has a circle of women she talks to, although I wonder what it looks like from the other women's side given the potential power imbalance. 

Happy 40th Esther. I hope your friends and family sang happy birthday to you, in whatever vernacular language they chose.

They've been there for about nine years.  Why aren't they speaking the language yet?  I bet the kids are fairly fluent in Chichewa.

I did watch the video and the song the women are singing is pretty.  You can occasionally hear John in the crowd video and he's still doing his annoying fake African accent.  I'm constantly amazed that the locals haven't run him off..  

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, Xan said:

I bet the kids are fairly fluent in Chichewa.

Are the kids still homeschooled? Do they have instruction in Chichewa? If they are isolated, chances are they aren’t really learning a lot of language.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Are the kids still homeschooled? Do they have instruction in Chichewa? If they are isolated, chances are they aren’t really learning a lot of language.

But the only children to play with are the local children.  Kids are so much better at picking up language than adults that I'd be surprised if they aren't able to communicate with their friends. 

Yes, they do homeschool but it isn't a large house and I bet they're outdoors a lot.

• Upvote 4

I wonder if she feels at all embarrassed at needing a translator after all this time. I certainly would if it were me!

eta I would understand having someone on standby to help if I got stuck but Esther makes it sound as though she doesn't know enough of the language to even do that!

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic