IGNORED

John Shrader 20: The Little Plane that Dared

samurai_sarah

I really wonder how much the kids speak. The reason I suspect the older kids don't speak much Chichewa is that I think if they were their parents would be using them to translate rather than locals. The younger kids may well be bilingual - but who really knows. I suspect they don't mix much with kids outside their own family, and it's not like they go to school with them and interact there. So it's church mostly, even if with John that is a lot of time, pretty much spent listening to their father blather in English and keeping quiet themselves.

• Upvote 7

It might also go to John’s feeling of superiority. Since he is gifting them with the correct Jesus the parishioners should learn English to emulate him. If any of the children are bilingual I wonder what they hear people saying about their father.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

John has posted videos of local ladies singing at the Mother’s Day service. His latest post makes me think he may have offended someone again or be in trouble again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

I don't see the mothers day videos anymore. Maybe he made them friends only. But yeah, his latest post is more "woe is me"

Oh how I would that I had learned this truth about meekness as a young man. Oh how deeply I long to truly know and live it now. May God help me so.

"Never allow yourself to answer again when you are blamed. Never defend yourself. Let them reprehend you, in private or in public, as much as they please. Let the righteous smite you, it shall be a kindness; and let him reprove you, it shall be an excellent oil which shall not break your head.

It is a mark of the deepest and truest humility,” says a great saint, “to see ourselves condemned without cause and to be silent under it. To be silent under insult and wrong is a very noble imitation of our Lord. O my Lord, when I remember in how many ways Thou didst suffer, Who in no way deserved it, I know not where my senses are when I am in such haste to defend and excuse myself.

Is it possible I should desire anyone to speak any good of me or to think it, when so many ill things were thought and spoken of Thee! What about being blamed by all men, if only we stand at last blameless before Thee!”

— Alexander Whyte (quoted in "Royal Insignia")

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

On 5/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

I am glad the Lockwood kids seem to be doing ok, even though they appear to still be in the fundie world. 

Oh, yes, they are very very much in the fundy world.  But to my point.  Daniel did whatever he did in Mexico, they all came back and settled where they were raised (Redding, CA area).  Daniel got a steady job and supports his family.

The family belongs to a church & the kids are socialized through church activities and extended family nearby. Oldest son went off to missionary college (far from home, IIRC).  Met his wife to be, graduated, got married, and now works at a regular job -- I think he works for a garage door installation company.  He's launched himself, started a family, can hold down a steady job.  The typical things that young people do in life to get established.  I think Son #2 is on a similar trajectory. 

And yes, Jaynee went to Bible college and may have an MA. There was a pic on facebook of her teaching at the local church school.  I think Daniel went to Bible college as well.  The kids really do seem to be following in their parents' footsteps, but carving out their own lives.  But yeah, crazy fundy conservative. 

I really do feel sorry for Tim Rodriguez and Bro. Shrader's oldest.  They just doesn't have it going on.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

John is celebrating 7 years in Africs. Hard to believe it's been that long. 

7 years ago on this day, June 6th, our family left the US to permanently move to Zambia, Africa.

We came with 8 dear children at that time, and now God has added four more amazing blessings to our happy, crazy, fun-loving, Jesus Following bunch!

It's been an unbelievable journey in many ways, and we are so very humbled at what God is doing both in and through our family here in Sub-Saharan Africa. I can't describe to you the blessing of seeing our children growing up Serving God and the people of Zambia.

Truly, no greater joy...

Thank you from the depths of our hearts to everyone who has and is supporting us, most of all with your faithful prayers. We are so humbled and grateful.

We amazingly had 150 people come to the Services here today, simply incredible to me, especially as our "winter" is upon us here. Usually many just don't come when it's this cold. There were 80 children and 70 adults and older Youth. It is truly wonderful to see God working in hearts.

Please keep praying with us and for us, and we will be sharing more in the days to come what God is doing here in Kafue, Zambia at Truth Biblical Baptist Church and beyond.

Blessings,

Bro. John Shrader for the Family

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 12

5 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Are they ever coming home?? Or is missionary work a lifelong thing?

Somehow I get the feeling that in John's case, it's an "until he gets forced to leave" thing. For Zambia's sake and for his kids' sake, I hope it's soon.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7

Agape turned 13 last Thursday and Isaiah turned 5 last Wednesday - any mention of them by John Boy? 

• Thank You 4

7 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Agape turned 13 last Thursday and Isaiah turned 5 last Wednesday - any mention of them by John Boy? 

Not a peep. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

22 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Are they ever coming home?? Or is missionary work a lifelong thing?

It seems there's a lot of fluctuation on being a missionary.  Some call a quick trip a mission, some go with a set time frame in mind (like long enough to help build a church), and a few plan to stay for decades before dying or retiring back to their country of origin.

Derick Dillard spent a year being a covert/faux missionary in Nepal, where by all accounts he enjoyed it immensley because he was leading hikes for tourists during the day and spending the rest of his time hanging out with the local population hoping one would ask him about his religion so he could tell them about God.  

When he married Jill Duggar, they tried becoming missionaries in Central America, where they lived in a house in a walled compound and shopped at the nearby Walmart.  They took Spanish lessons, but I don't think they learned much.  Mostly, Jill baked banana bread, bragged at the astonishment the locals expressed at their enormous white baby, and sometimes did arts and crafts with some of the local women.  Derick probably did similar things, but the only thing I really remember was his hilariously awkward interpretive dance he and other missionaries performed for some local people intended to lead them away from their so-called heathen beliefs and into whatever Dillard calls his own religion.

They took a couple of short vacations to some resorts in the area, and flew back to the States frequently for visits, staying away from their mission for increasing amounts of time until Jill had a breakdown when a shower caddy fell and it scared her so badly Derick had to call her parents to come help him calm her down.  They gave up the mission shortly after that and returned home for good.

Part of Jill's problem was the bizarre way she was raised and her idea that missionary work is a lot like a vacation where you show up and show off how great you have it because you're practicing the 'proper' religion.  During her childhood, she and her siblings followed their parents to an area, and listened to her father tell them how the people there were living in poverty because they had the wrong religion.  Then they'd do some useless activity, give the kids a lollypop, maybe get a few people to 'convert', and back home within a week.

John Shrader got to Zambia mostly because his father pulled strings to get him there, and he now lives a better lifestyle than he did when he and his poor wife were traveling around looking for funds from churches around the country.  He gets to play White Savior and Big Fish in a Small Pond when he's not impregnating his wife, whining about what he doesn't have until someone sends him stuff, and using an offensive fake accent.  He used to often film himself doing his latest stupid scheme to prove he's a dedicated missionary in a dangerous country.  Then he gets bouts of despondancy and takes to his bed for awhile while his wife and kids cater to him.

John also takes care of his physical health by using the best physicians he can find, no matter how many miles he has to fly to get there.  But his wife gives birth at home with a midwife and one of his sons has experienced some truely frightening sounding seizures.  For them, prayer and, if necessary, an in-country doctor will suffice.

John will stay in Zambia until forced to leave, or if a better grift comes along.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 8

John has been back on Facebook.  He posts about having so many people at church even though it's winter there and "so cold".  I looked up the temps in Zambia now and it can get down to the high 40's at night but it gets back up to the 70's during the day.  I'm sure that the Zambians feel that it is cold but John has certainly experienced real winter before this and shouldn't think it's that bad.

He's bragging that Enoch got 27 people into the truck.  That sounds risky -- particularly since Enoch has just gotten his license.

Spoiler

1966390967_Screenshot(4967).png.ee51b023b571613edc2a1458e7768869.png1158844308_Screenshot(4968).png.700444d544538cc79244b1426d40d17c.png

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 4

So much posting from him lately, he seems to be on an upswing. 

That filled truck definitely sounds risky. 

After so many years of not a huge attendance, his mantra now seems to be "we aren't in it for the numbers of course but JUST LOOK AT how many people we have now. Even though it's totally not about that of course. But LOOK. I'm a success"  

Edited by NoneIsEnough
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

That filled truck sounds horrifying. One accident could be a catastrophe.

I think he is also trying to tell his donors that it wasn’t a a complete waste of their money to support him and they should continue and perhaps increase how much they send him. 
I have real trouble believing that there was no other reason so many people came to that service-if in fact that many did. John enjoys shading the truth in his favour.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

John will over play his luck.  One accident in that truck will hopefully send folk braying for his removal from Zambia. 
“John enjoys shRading the truth”!!!!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:56 PM, Flossie said:

John will stay in Zambia until forced to leave, or if a better grift comes along.

The only "better" thing I could see possibly happening is pastorship of his father's church, and even that would only be if he's forced to leave Zambia.  Pretty sure Rick knows he'd drive it into the ground, and John at arm's length on the other side of the world is much easier to deal with than John in the same town.

27 and 39 people in vehicles not designed for that number even on local trips is not great. Yeah I know it's not uncommon in various places (including here...), but even at low speeds you can get some bad injuries and deaths.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Young people from the villages will go to church just for the chance to ride in a vehicle. Their families will not own cars. Young boys (and girls) will gladly hop onto a jalopy for the ride. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

John has been busy printing.  He's taking a bunch of future toilet paper printed material on a trip to the Western Province next week.  

The alliteration here just slays me.  I think John believes it makes him appear smarter.  It doesn't.

Spoiler

239133800_Screenshot(5050).png.509e1ca7096ea45704e60506432aa68e.png454968050_Screenshot(5051).png.8a99aaf77a3f0b94cc2d4fa1758ae32e.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

"The twelve?" He's comparing his kids to Jesus' disciples?

And I've lost track -- does this mean he's grifted even more printing equipment?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, turquoise said:

"The twelve?" He's comparing his kids to Jesus' disciples?

And I've lost track -- does this mean he's grifted even more printing equipment?

In the video, he has four large machines in a closet/library area.  He calls them "jogger, folder, printer, copier" as he's filming.  They look expensive.  There's also a smaller machine in the center back and I'm not sure what it is.

Spoiler

1339976886_Screenshot(5055).png.ffbcc2ad43a0e29c5d23fe0984b2b946.png1322275662_Screenshot(5054).png.dc893ad1f326f583ca8e15bcf25c545e.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

22 minutes ago, Xan said:

In the video, he has four large machines in a closet/library area.  He calls them "jogger, folder, printer, copier" as he's filming.  They look expensive.  There's also a smaller machine in the center back and I'm not sure what it is.

Reveal hidden contents

1339976886_Screenshot(5055).png.ffbcc2ad43a0e29c5d23fe0984b2b946.png1322275662_Screenshot(5054).png.dc893ad1f326f583ca8e15bcf25c545e.png

Good grief. What a waste of money.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic