IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 12

Coconut Flan

Gah, that really is SUCH a creepy aspect of "purity" culture. Not for the first time, I find myself wishing Fetlife had been around back in the 90s. Maybe a few of these assholes would have realized they could indulge their sexual fetishes without making a religion out of it.

@Howl Yup, Jennie Chancey was big on the Jane Austin stuff, though she wasn't the only one by any means. Sarah Jane Meister was another (not as big as her Civil War cosplay, but she did a few beautiful regency era reproductions).

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

Sarah Jane Meister

Oh  my gosh, THAT WOMAN, Confederate re-enactor IIRC,  and that loser Russell guy.  What a rabbit hole that was.  

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

2 hours ago, Howl said:

And this thing of fathers in charge of a daughter's purity.  It seemed weird at the time and it's infinitely worse in retrospect.

A woman's entire identity literally revolved around a man.  When single, she existed to further her father's vision.  When married, she existed to further her husband's vision.  She was defined in relation to the men in her life, never as an independent being.  Her own vision never mattered.  "Vision" was a paramount virtue, but one that a woman could only attain by being absorbed into someone else's.  

The purity thing was just a subset of that.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

A woman's entire identity literally revolved around a man.  When single, she existed to further her father's vision.  When married, she existed to further her husband's vision.  She was defined in relation to the men in her life, never as an independent being.  Her own vision never mattered.  "Vision" was a paramount virtue, but one that a woman could only attain by being absorbed into someone else's.  

The purity thing was just a subset of that.  

And the Jane Austen obsession among many of these gals? They think Austen’s novels were all about pretty dresses and tea parties and balls and marrying a rich man for love. In actuality, they were barbed social satire about  the limitations in women’s lives. If you were upper class and damn lucky, you might be able to marry a man who had money and whom you could tolerate. If you weren’t, you would end up like poor Miss Bates, living in genteel poverty and facing a lifetime of condescension. Also, notice that the working classes, who far outnumbered the gentry and nobility, are barely a blip on Austen’s radar.

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Hane said:

They think Austen’s novels were all about pretty dresses and tea parties and balls and marrying a rich man for love. In actuality, they were barbed social satire about  the limitations in women’s lives.

Fundies generally have very poor reading comprehension, so it's not surprising there was a widespread ignorance about Jane Austen's work & its larger context.

Re: Jennie Chancey. She still runs her pattern business but reinvented herself during the time the Chanceys were living in S. Africa, before they moved back to the US 2-3 years ago. This has probably been infinitely better for her kids, who deserve to grow up without the sick & twisted theology their parents espoused for so long. Like many of their erstwhile VF buddies, Matt & Jennie Chancey have been radio silent about their former roles in the monstrous belief system pushed by Doug Phillips & others. 

From Kathryn Joyce's book Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement:

As Jennie Chancey tells the Botkin sisters in their book, So Much More: The Remarkable Influence of Visionary Daughters on the Kingdom of God, children of the movement should have “little to no association with peers outside of family and relatives” as insulation from a corrupting society. Daughters shouldn’t forgo education but should consider to what ends their education is intended and should place their efforts in “advanced homemaking” skills.

• Disgust 2
  • Thank You 7

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Fundies generally have very poor reading comprehension, so it's not surprising there was a widespread ignorance about Jane Austen's work & its larger context.

Re: Jennie Chancey. She still runs her pattern business but reinvented herself during the time the Chanceys were living in S. Africa, before they moved back to the US 2-3 years ago. This has probably been infinitely better for her kids, who deserve to grow up without the sick & twisted theology their parents espoused for so long. Like many of their erstwhile VF buddies, Matt & Jennie Chancey have been radio silent about their former roles in the monstrous belief system pushed by Doug Phillips & others. 

From Kathryn Joyce's book Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement:

I can’t imagine keeping my kids completely away from any and all peers. It was bad enough during the pandemic! That was horrible! Now they are able to go to school again and socialize. I actually talk to my kids about things that happen with their peers at school. I was just talking to my 8 year old about “boyfriends and girlfriends” in the second grade. He says he’s not interested but there are a few of his classmates who are boyfriend and girlfriend. I told him that I’m glad he’s not interested since I think he’s a bit too young to have a girlfriend. I told him he should just have lots of friends who are boys and girls and that’s all. He thinks so too. But I’m glad my kid is exposed to this kind of stuff so he can form his opinions on it as he goes. And then I can talk to him about it.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t imagine keeping my kids completely away from any and all peers. It was bad enough during the pandemic!

And the same people who railed against "government schools" and "negative peer influence" for years and years did a complete 180 during the pandemic: "tHeY woN'T oPEN thE sCHoOls aND iT's KiLLiNg oUR kIDs!!!" 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

17 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

blast from the past, and the comments are gold:

Thanks so much for introducing me to this Twitter account, it's my favourite rabbit hole to go down this month!

Especially the tweet about explaining homeschool conferences

I went to a few of those, and also to at least one conference that actual Ken Ham was at.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

And the same people who railed against "government schools" and "negative peer influence" for years and years did a complete 180 during the pandemic: "tHeY woN'T oPEN thE sCHoOls aND iT's KiLLiNg oUR kIDs!!!" 

It's seriously fucking hilarious.

The pandemic hits all the fundie sweet spots; lots of fearmongering, judgement, social isolation, homeschooling, people baking their own bread (at the beginning of lock-down, anyway), covering their lips (ok, not so much an actual fundie thing, but certainly could be sold as not inducing sinful thoughts), it should have been Fundiepolooza!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Never forget "the Chanceys of Africa"! And this almost unbelievable picture of some kind of imperialism cosplay: 

mattinsudan.jpg

Yours, Lurker of Europe

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Justice is back in Alaska for the fishing season.

https://www.thejusticephillips.com/blog/return

So...back to the question. Why would I be on a plane bound for Anchorage Alaska, after four years of telling myself I could never return? Practically there are several reasons. First and foremost being that I spent more than six months last year writing about the time I spent in Alaska four years ago. How I began that particular project is a much longer story and gets a little too meta for anyone who has a grounded sense of reality. But suffice it to say, after spending all that time meditating and analyzing what happened to me I don’t think I could have avoided the urge to return to the place where I felt I was a man for the first time. Another practical reason is that I could. Up to this point in my life I didn’t have the practical ability to go back. I had responsibilities, financial debt, opportunities I wanted to take advantage of, and less time than I felt I needed to accomplish all those things. But after some time and a lot of work I now have the freedom to do the adventures and try the ideas that have had to wait for so long.

I am seeing that history and time really do repeat themselves. Four years ago I was preparing to try my luck in commercial fishing for the first time. Yet again I am going back to the same profession unsure of what will happen. Four years ago a friend of mine got engaged and invited me to his wedding. My sister just got engaged and has started planning her wedding. She will probably be married around the time I plan on coming home, just like four years ago when I came home for my brother's wedding. I am planning on moving to a new city after this fishing season is over. Four years ago I moved to a new city after the season ended for the first time in my life.

• Thank You 8

“Where I felt I was a man for the first time.”

Im going to follow his blog! The candor is compelling! Thank you for the link. 

(I do wonder what debts he racked up. None of my business and I won’t board the bus. But again, his openness is ... very unlike his dad!)

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

(I do wonder what debts he racked up. None of my business and I won’t board the bus. But again, his openness is ... very unlike his dad!)

I wondered that, too, but I'm pretty sure he's got a truck and an motorcycle, so maybe just loan(s) for one or both of those? He also had an accident with the motorcycle a year and a half or so ago, so potentially some medical bills, if he wasn't insured (and honestly, I'd be a bit surprised if a 20 something dude working as a bartender had medical insurance, unless it was through a parent, and in Justice's case, that seems unlikely).

23 minutes ago, bea said:

Which sister got engaged?

Jubilee, the second oldest daughter. She's the one who attended the Sproul's unaccredited "college" in Florida. The dude she's marrying has some sort of administrative job there, IIRC.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, bea said:

Ugh, PRETENTIOUS.
Which sister got engaged?

I actually don’t think he is trying to be pompous (unlike some other members of his family) but OMG does the purple prose run thick in this family! 

• I Agree 6

On 5/20/2021 at 10:32 PM, AnnaSofia said:

Jubilee, the second oldest daughter. She's the one who attended the Sproul's unaccredited "college" in Florida. The dude she's marrying has some sort of administrative job there, IIRC.

Aha! Her college experience has earned a MRS. Degree. Surprising more sisters nit enrolled.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Four days ago, Beall posted to Instagram: "It’s been a ghost town here on my Insta… Just not sure what I want to put here right now”, and a friend replied, “Take your time! You’ll know when it’s right.” 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQINmZEBIgu/

Her last post before that was fourteen weeks before: "Just sitting here thinking through ahead of time what hill I’m prepared to die on. ?"

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

19 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Her last post before that was fourteen weeks before: "Just sitting here thinking through ahead of time what hill I’m prepared to die on. ?"

Do tell, Be-All.  Is that hill the one where your "husband" is running around with burlesque dancers in Europe while you work to support your kids?  Or did you finally decide the hill where he raped and sexually assaulted the nanny exists?  Enquiring minds want to know.  :popcorn2:

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

Tomorrow I am figuring out how to replace the idle air control valve and clean the throttle blade on my car and also continue emptying out a storage unit. Those are the micro masteries I’m working on right now (auto repair and cozy minimalism...except for books...)

Doing her own auto repairs and getting rid of stuff. Changes ahead...

Hasn't the youngest daughter graduated from homeschool highschool or is at least very close?

I read Justice's blog about working in a bar/restaurant. It was interesting and he had a good take on why he liked it and the skills he was learning. 

Going off to Alaska to fish and moving to a new city...too bad the relationship w/ the MLM EO princess fell through, but maybe Justice needs a lot of variety and wasn't ready to settle down.  He does seem to have a capacity for hard work, so that's good. There are a bazillion young people in the West and southwest who do seasonal work -- forest service, BLM, fire fighting, working for concessionaires in national parks,  tour guides very common, and Justice somewhat fits that mold.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

At least this family's homeschooling wasn't a wash (like some others) as the Philips children seem literate.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

At least this family's homeschooling wasn't a wash (like some others) as the Philips children seem literate.

Yup, this times a thousand per cent. Sad, though, that there was no emphasis on college attendance and for the younger kids, no money now to send them.  If Beall is doing her own car repairs, her financial situation is grim. 

If she's cleaning out a storage unit, it may be because she's downsizing and needs to save the monthly rental fee.  

As horrible as the Penningtons are, they also gave their kids a rigorous and structured home school experience. 

But again, all the parents have college degrees and the fathers have advanced degrees.  The Tool graduated law school, James Pennington is a CPA. Lisa Pennington and Beall both have undergrad degrees from secular institutions. 

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

She's stopped putting hashtags on her public instagram -- no #happilymarried or #marriedlife since January. 

Something's up.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Thanks to all who follow Be-all so I don’t have to! Being offset a step ( by FJ ) from them is fine with me! 

• Upvote 12

Props to B for fixin to do her own car-fixin. It was said years ago that when she attended law school classes with her Authoriteh, her grasp of the subject matter was superior to his own (not a direct quote).

So if anybody can figure out ,two relatively uncommon repairs, it might be she.

Can anyone refresh my overloaded memory with her Insta handle?  If PM is required, that would be fine, too. 

Thank you greatly! 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic