Jump to content
IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 12


Coconut Flan

Recommended Posts

Time to check in on DPIART's social media activity.

Looks like Doug has slowed the frenetic posting on the VF FB page, and the Cinema of Wonders website has gone private

He has updated his Vimeo profile, however: "he/him" -- it's all about the manliness, isn't it Dougie?

Woke Doug.png

Edited by hoipolloi
Added link
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

He has updated his Vimeo profile, however: "he/him" -- it's all about the manliness, isn't it Dougie?

LOL! Good Lord, now I've truly seen everything... 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Howl said:

What's the VO (on his bio list)?

Think it stands for "voice overs."

The Cinema of Wonder website had a section with examples of Dougie's fine work in voice overs. 

ETA: Thank you, Dougie! He has a sample VO video on his Vimeo channel.

Edited by hoipolloi
Adding info
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming the Cinema of Wonders site's purpose is to advertise his business/services, whats the point of making it private. ?‍♀️ Unless he's doing it temporarily while making updates, but good web/business practice would be to leave a page up saying so.

  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Time to check in on DPIART's social media activity.

Looks like Doug has slowed the frenetic posting on the VF FB page, and the Cinema of Wonders website has gone private

He has updated his Vimeo profile, however: "he/him" -- it's all about the manliness, isn't it Dougie?

Woke Doug.png

Wow! That's a really progressive move from someone was so conservative and probably hateful towards trangender individuals. 

Putting pronouns on everything profiles/nametags, etc. is the new way so people can be refered to as their gender identity. Even if the gender is obvious, people put their pronouns on their profiles, etc. so that other people feel comfortable in using the pronouns that person prefers. 

Doug has been working burlesque shows, so it wouldn't surprise me if he met transgender folks and/or nonbinary people. And just people whose worldview includes being sensitive to gender identity.

Rather than mocking him for a need to show the world he's an ubermale, I applaud him on this issue (nothing else) for showing a willingness to change with the times.  It wasn't that long ago, two cisgender women left a conference in disgust, because they had to put their pronouns on their nametags. I don't remember who they were, but I believe they had some connection to Ken Hamm, of ArkEncounters fame. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Think it stands for "voice overs."  The Cinema of Wonder website had a section with examples of Dougie's fine work in voice overs. 

ETA: Thank you, Dougie! He has a sample VO video on his Vimeo channel.

thanks. I have no way to evaluate his voice overs from a professional standpoint. They weren't awful.  If I had no way of knowing who was speaking, my response would be neutral, which is the point of voice overs, I suppose  -- unobtrusively guiding the listener through the visual content.  

Also, more to the point of the thread title: WHERE IS DOUG? 

 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Wow! That's a really progressive move from someone was so conservative and probably hateful towards trangender individuals. 

While I understand the points you're raising, I respectfully suggest that you have been played, in exactly the cynical manner Doug Phillips intended. 

If you haven't done so, go read the VF FB page, which he clearly still runs. Not a lot of tolerance or growth there. Same old Doug Phillips, same old white supremacy and homophobia that VF always stood for. The alternative explanation is that Doug Phillips never really gave a shit about LGBTQ folks one way or the other -- a plausible idea, given his extensive cavorting at burlesque shows in the post-VF years. He just readily endorsed & fed the fundie Christian hate for the LGBTQ community because it was good for VF's business. 

tl;dr. He probably hasn't changed at all and can't because he's a narcissistic sociopath. Given that, his ultimate goal has always been to manipulate and control the people around him. Chances are that he thought adding his pronoun preferences would attract more business. I do agree with @The Mother Dust, though, that having his primary business website set to "private" would seem to be a poor marketing strategy. 

And, yes, where in the world *is* Doug Phillips?

 

 

  • Upvote 12
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

While I understand the points you're raising, I respectfully suggest that you have been played, in exactly the cynical manner Doug Phillips intended. 

If you haven't done so, go read the VF FB page, which he clearly still runs. Not a lot of tolerance or growth there. Same old Doug Phillips, same old white supremacy and homophobia that VF always stood for. The alternative explanation is that Doug Phillips never really gave a shit about LGBTQ folks one way or the other -- a plausible idea, given his extensive cavorting at burlesque shows in the post-VF years. He just readily endorsed & fed the fundie Christian hate for the LGBTQ community because it was good for VF's business. 

tl;dr. He probably hasn't changed at all and can't because he's a narcissistic sociopath. Given that, his ultimate goal has always been to manipulate and control the people around him. Chances are that he thought adding his pronoun preferences would attract more business. I do agree with @The Mother Dust, though, that having his primary business website set to "private" would seem to be a poor marketing strategy. 

And, yes, where in the world *is* Doug Phillips?

Thank you for explaining this to me. If he's trying to fool people, then he is being a complete jerk. It may be necessary if his business is still photographing burlesque dancers. People in entertainment tend to be more tolerant of gender identity.  It's nasty and deceptive to fool people. 

If he's not still in photography; what is he doing?

Old Doug probably doesn't believe much; just likes any system where people him (straight white men) come out on top. 

While I was fooled in his intentions, I still don't having the pronouns is silly. If he's sincere, then that's good. If he's deceptive, then he's a real jerk.

tl:dr-- Doug bad; pronouns good

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pronouns are a checkbox when you fill out a Vimeo profile.

Vimeo.jpg.21f40243c17c1f48f06f701e8cef5b0f.jpg

So while it's possible to sort of opt-out with "Rather not say", it's less of a deliberate thing than adding pronouns to say, a Twitter bio.

Once upon a time, I could imagine Doug railing against Vimeo for "pushing an agenda", so the mere fact that he's still on the site probably shows how quickly things change in Dougieland when Christian Reconstruction isn't paying the bills anymore, but I doubt it was a particularly deliberate attempt to feign allyship.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Old Doug probably doesn't believe much; just likes any system where people him (straight white men) come out on top. 

I've been watching him for over 15 years, since the VF heyday in the mid-2000s and his online masturbation posts at "Doug's Blog." I think that he is a narcissistic sociopath with no loyalty to anyone but to himself. Even his "wife" and children appear to be little more than shadow puppets in his life. 

 

  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home (or, at most, a family business), never mind accepting one of the most demanding positions there is?

Dougie doesn't either.

462779556_Screenshot_2020-10-26VisionForum.jpg.a2ee793612c8ce13bcc5dd05baf68cce.jpg

  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnnaSofia said:

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home (or, at most, a family business), never mind accepting one of the most demanding positions there is?

Dougie doesn't either.

462779556_Screenshot_2020-10-26VisionForum.jpg.a2ee793612c8ce13bcc5dd05baf68cce.jpg

And *of course* freaking Clarence Thomas swore her in, the douchebag.

  • Upvote 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home (or, at most, a family business), never mind accepting one of the most demanding positions there is?

You mean back when Doug Phillips Is a A Rapist Tool lectured on manliness?

Manliness!.thumb.jpg.3a212ea744c7b7b0c3e400b280ed6f07.jpg

  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't even fathom the deficits needed to induce that level of overcompensation.

 

Edited by AnnaSofia
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I can't even fathom the deficits needed to induce that level of overcompensation.

 

E’en as he penned the noble words, he was cumming on the modest coverings of the fair maidenly nanny - or planning to. What a despicable human [sic] being. 

I really can’t think of words low enough to describe him. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Angry 1
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home

They weren't too crazy about Roman Catholics, either-- no matter how conservative those Roman Catholics happened to be. 

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poor DPIART, there really seems to be no place for him from which to rise again. When VF imploded, he should have (had his ego allowed it) made a hail mary grandstand, a la Jimmy Swaggart, to save his "ministry". But in his midlife musings, sick of the responsibilty of job and family, he really thought (if he thought at all) he could run away and land on his feet. Probably no one is more shocked than him that he's neither rich nor famous.

  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, Doug was into patriarchal manliness, or at least his version of it, by keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the domestic sphere and taking wide-stance Manly Adventures.  He could wear outdoor clothes a costume! And pose for photos, Exhibit 1 for his masculinity. 

But, ya know, he was a poser. He wasn't really manly, like Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman's character on Parks and Recreation) manly. He was never, and never will be, a man's man.  The question has to be asked: did he meet the threshold for Toxic Masculinity?

 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Howl said:

So, Doug was into patriarchal manliness, or at least his version of it, by keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the domestic sphere and taking wide-stance Manly Adventures.  He could wear outdoor clothes a costume! And pose for photos, Exhibit 1 for his masculinity. 

But, ya know, he was a poser. He wasn't really manly, like Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman's character on Parks and Recreation) manly. He was never, and never will be, a man's man.  The question has to be asked: did he meet the threshold for Toxic Masculinity?

 

WTF is James MacDonald and do we have a thread on this guy? He sounds like a real nutjob. 

By nutjob, I mean jerk. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, DomWackTroll said:

They weren't too crazy about Roman Catholics, either-- no matter how conservative those Roman Catholics happened to be. 

That's one of the (many) things that irks me about this shitshow.

Republicans actually trying to pass off opposition to Barrett as "the Dems just hate Catholics!". Yes, nothing at all to do with Amy Coney Barrett being fucking bonkers, it's all because the party of Nancy Pelosi, Sonia Sotomayor, and freakin' Joe Biden just can't stand to see a Catholic in a position of power :pb_rollseyes:

Meanwhile, Pence and his Evangelical ilk are biting through their tongues trying to convince themselves that a pro-lifer on the bench is worth putting up with the kind of "heresy" they would openly denounce under just about any other circumstance.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Meanwhile, Pence and his Evangelical ilk are biting through their tongues trying to convince themselves that a pro-lifer on the bench is worth putting up with the kind of "heresy" they would openly denounce under just about any other circumstance.

Also people forget that Pence grew up Catholic before he was born again in college - I think he would like people to forget that. But hello Mike Pence I see you at Christmas Eve mass with your family at my Roman Catholic parish almost every year. He's just awful.

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t know he grew up Catholic.  Interesting.

(Incidentally, I attended a clerical-skills course with a former Catholic lady who attended an evangelical church, but still made her Easter duty(confession/Communion)every year.  She also said that she would never join the evangelical church because it required believers’ baptism by immersion, and “I believe in one baptism.”)

  • Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recent Status Updates

    • PinkGreyBrown

      PinkGreyBrown

      This first-name-prevalance tool is one of my favorite websites ever. Sadly US-specific but nonetheless fascinating for nerds like me.
      · 1 reply
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      I hate English class. That is all.
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Did whatever I had change my personality at all?  Maybe a good thing if it makes my asshole tolerance even lower than before.
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Hey LinkedIn, do yourself a favor and learn how to read the fucking room already. 
      · 0 replies
    • Smash!

      Smash!

      Just started with Couch 2 5k. How I missed running!
      · 3 replies
    • SillyDillys

      SillyDillys

      Now thats the cats out of the bag, it feels nice to finally talk about it.
      Mr. Dilly and I are excited, definitely alot of nerves during the first trimester. Had the worst morning sickness, finally getting appetite back and I've been craving spinach dip and refried beans.
       
      · 5 replies
    • Cartmann99

      Cartmann99

      Are you an I Love Lucy fan?
      My two favorite episodes are "The Freezer" and "Lucy Does a TV Commercial."

      · 1 reply
    • PinkGreyBrown

      PinkGreyBrown

      My mother's family's farm (in northern California) was the stable touchstone of my childhood, the place we went for many holidays & most summers, if only for a week or two at a time. My mother was a travel enthusiast, my father was in the military, my younger sister & I grew up in the back of a car. Been in every state in the union except maybe North Dakota, spent three months in Europe, three months in Mexico -- all before I was a teen. I realized, as an adult, I don't actually like traveling. It makes me anxious. My mother kept traveling up until shortly before she died.
      · 1 reply
    • Cartmann99

      Cartmann99  »  47of74

      Saw this and remembered that you are also an MST3K fan:
       
      · 1 reply
    • 47of74

      47of74

      This place is much nicer when there aren’t drunk douche nozzles trying to start WWIII with my sister. 

      Last time I was here I brought my sister. There was a drunk douche cannon holding court here. He and my sister took mutual exeception to each other. Well he first then my sister responded.
      We got out of there before he got even dumber since there’s another brewery across the street.  Drunk fucker didn’t follow us and I think some flashing lights a few minutes later were for him. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.