IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 12

Coconut Flan

Time to check in on DPIART's social media activity.

Looks like Doug has slowed the frenetic posting on the VF FB page, and the Cinema of Wonders website has gone private

He has updated his Vimeo profile, however: "he/him" -- it's all about the manliness, isn't it Dougie?

Woke Doug.png

Edited by hoipolloi
Added link
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

He has updated his Vimeo profile, however: "he/him" -- it's all about the manliness, isn't it Dougie?

LOL! Good Lord, now I've truly seen everything... 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Howl said:

What's the VO (on his bio list)?

Think it stands for "voice overs."

The Cinema of Wonder website had a section with examples of Dougie's fine work in voice overs. 

ETA: Thank you, Dougie! He has a sample VO video on his Vimeo channel.

Edited by hoipolloi
Adding info
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Assuming the Cinema of Wonders site's purpose is to advertise his business/services, whats the point of making it private. ?‍♀️ Unless he's doing it temporarily while making updates, but good web/business practice would be to leave a page up saying so.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Time to check in on DPIART's social media activity.

Looks like Doug has slowed the frenetic posting on the VF FB page, and the Cinema of Wonders website has gone private

Woke Doug.png

Wow! That's a really progressive move from someone was so conservative and probably hateful towards trangender individuals. 

Putting pronouns on everything profiles/nametags, etc. is the new way so people can be refered to as their gender identity. Even if the gender is obvious, people put their pronouns on their profiles, etc. so that other people feel comfortable in using the pronouns that person prefers. 

Doug has been working burlesque shows, so it wouldn't surprise me if he met transgender folks and/or nonbinary people. And just people whose worldview includes being sensitive to gender identity.

Rather than mocking him for a need to show the world he's an ubermale, I applaud him on this issue (nothing else) for showing a willingness to change with the times.  It wasn't that long ago, two cisgender women left a conference in disgust, because they had to put their pronouns on their nametags. I don't remember who they were, but I believe they had some connection to Ken Hamm, of ArkEncounters fame. 

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 3

20 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Think it stands for "voice overs."  The Cinema of Wonder website had a section with examples of Dougie's fine work in voice overs. 

ETA: Thank you, Dougie! He has a sample VO video on his Vimeo channel.

thanks. I have no way to evaluate his voice overs from a professional standpoint. They weren't awful.  If I had no way of knowing who was speaking, my response would be neutral, which is the point of voice overs, I suppose  -- unobtrusively guiding the listener through the visual content.  

Also, more to the point of the thread title: WHERE IS DOUG? 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Wow! That's a really progressive move from someone was so conservative and probably hateful towards trangender individuals. 

While I understand the points you're raising, I respectfully suggest that you have been played, in exactly the cynical manner Doug Phillips intended. 

If you haven't done so, go read the VF FB page, which he clearly still runs. Not a lot of tolerance or growth there. Same old Doug Phillips, same old white supremacy and homophobia that VF always stood for. The alternative explanation is that Doug Phillips never really gave a shit about LGBTQ folks one way or the other -- a plausible idea, given his extensive cavorting at burlesque shows in the post-VF years. He just readily endorsed & fed the fundie Christian hate for the LGBTQ community because it was good for VF's business. 

tl;dr. He probably hasn't changed at all and can't because he's a narcissistic sociopath. Given that, his ultimate goal has always been to manipulate and control the people around him. Chances are that he thought adding his pronoun preferences would attract more business. I do agree with @The Mother Dust, though, that having his primary business website set to "private" would seem to be a poor marketing strategy. 

And, yes, where in the world *is* Doug Phillips?

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

While I understand the points you're raising, I respectfully suggest that you have been played, in exactly the cynical manner Doug Phillips intended. 

If you haven't done so, go read the VF FB page, which he clearly still runs. Not a lot of tolerance or growth there. Same old Doug Phillips, same old white supremacy and homophobia that VF always stood for. The alternative explanation is that Doug Phillips never really gave a shit about LGBTQ folks one way or the other -- a plausible idea, given his extensive cavorting at burlesque shows in the post-VF years. He just readily endorsed & fed the fundie Christian hate for the LGBTQ community because it was good for VF's business. 

tl;dr. He probably hasn't changed at all and can't because he's a narcissistic sociopath. Given that, his ultimate goal has always been to manipulate and control the people around him. Chances are that he thought adding his pronoun preferences would attract more business. I do agree with @The Mother Dust, though, that having his primary business website set to "private" would seem to be a poor marketing strategy. 

And, yes, where in the world *is* Doug Phillips?

Thank you for explaining this to me. If he's trying to fool people, then he is being a complete jerk. It may be necessary if his business is still photographing burlesque dancers. People in entertainment tend to be more tolerant of gender identity.  It's nasty and deceptive to fool people. 

If he's not still in photography; what is he doing?

Old Doug probably doesn't believe much; just likes any system where people him (straight white men) come out on top. 

While I was fooled in his intentions, I still don't having the pronouns is silly. If he's sincere, then that's good. If he's deceptive, then he's a real jerk.

tl:dr-- Doug bad; pronouns good

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Pronouns are a checkbox when you fill out a Vimeo profile.

Vimeo.jpg.21f40243c17c1f48f06f701e8cef5b0f.jpg

So while it's possible to sort of opt-out with "Rather not say", it's less of a deliberate thing than adding pronouns to say, a Twitter bio.

Once upon a time, I could imagine Doug railing against Vimeo for "pushing an agenda", so the mere fact that he's still on the site probably shows how quickly things change in Dougieland when Christian Reconstruction isn't paying the bills anymore, but I doubt it was a particularly deliberate attempt to feign allyship.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 10

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Old Doug probably doesn't believe much; just likes any system where people him (straight white men) come out on top. 

I've been watching him for over 15 years, since the VF heyday in the mid-2000s and his online masturbation posts at "Doug's Blog." I think that he is a narcissistic sociopath with no loyalty to anyone but to himself. Even his "wife" and children appear to be little more than shadow puppets in his life. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home (or, at most, a family business), never mind accepting one of the most demanding positions there is?

Dougie doesn't either.

462779556_Screenshot_2020-10-26VisionForum.jpg.a2ee793612c8ce13bcc5dd05baf68cce.jpg

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AnnaSofia said:

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home (or, at most, a family business), never mind accepting one of the most demanding positions there is?

Dougie doesn't either.

462779556_Screenshot_2020-10-26VisionForum.jpg.a2ee793612c8ce13bcc5dd05baf68cce.jpg

And *of course* freaking Clarence Thomas swore her in, the douchebag.

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

You mean back when Doug Phillips Is a A Rapist Tool lectured on manliness?

Manliness!.thumb.jpg.3a212ea744c7b7b0c3e400b280ed6f07.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I can't even fathom the deficits needed to induce that level of overcompensation.

Edited by AnnaSofia
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I can't even fathom the deficits needed to induce that level of overcompensation.

E’en as he penned the noble words, he was cumming on the modest coverings of the fair maidenly nanny - or planning to. What a despicable human [sic] being. 

I really can’t think of words low enough to describe him. 

• Upvote 7
  • Angry 1
  • I Agree 5

18 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Hey, remember when VF-ers would have been completely disgusted by the idea that a mom with school age children had a job outside of the home

They weren't too crazy about Roman Catholics, either-- no matter how conservative those Roman Catholics happened to be. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Poor DPIART, there really seems to be no place for him from which to rise again. When VF imploded, he should have (had his ego allowed it) made a hail mary grandstand, a la Jimmy Swaggart, to save his "ministry". But in his midlife musings, sick of the responsibilty of job and family, he really thought (if he thought at all) he could run away and land on his feet. Probably no one is more shocked than him that he's neither rich nor famous.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

Well, he had the baseball project and then the wolf project, but neither is what you'd call a blockbuster. 

• Upvote 5

So, Doug was into patriarchal manliness, or at least his version of it, by keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the domestic sphere and taking wide-stance Manly Adventures.  He could wear outdoor clothes a costume! And pose for photos, Exhibit 1 for his masculinity. 

But, ya know, he was a poser. He wasn't really manly, like Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman's character on Parks and Recreation) manly. He was never, and never will be, a man's man.  The question has to be asked: did he meet the threshold for Toxic Masculinity?

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 9

17 hours ago, Howl said:

So, Doug was into patriarchal manliness, or at least his version of it, by keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the domestic sphere and taking wide-stance Manly Adventures.  He could wear outdoor clothes a costume! And pose for photos, Exhibit 1 for his masculinity. 

But, ya know, he was a poser. He wasn't really manly, like Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman's character on Parks and Recreation) manly. He was never, and never will be, a man's man.  The question has to be asked: did he meet the threshold for Toxic Masculinity?

WTF is James MacDonald and do we have a thread on this guy? He sounds like a real nutjob. 

By nutjob, I mean jerk. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 10/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, DomWackTroll said:

They weren't too crazy about Roman Catholics, either-- no matter how conservative those Roman Catholics happened to be. 

That's one of the (many) things that irks me about this shitshow.

Republicans actually trying to pass off opposition to Barrett as "the Dems just hate Catholics!". Yes, nothing at all to do with Amy Coney Barrett being fucking bonkers, it's all because the party of Nancy Pelosi, Sonia Sotomayor, and freakin' Joe Biden just can't stand to see a Catholic in a position of power :pb_rollseyes:

Meanwhile, Pence and his Evangelical ilk are biting through their tongues trying to convince themselves that a pro-lifer on the bench is worth putting up with the kind of "heresy" they would openly denounce under just about any other circumstance.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Meanwhile, Pence and his Evangelical ilk are biting through their tongues trying to convince themselves that a pro-lifer on the bench is worth putting up with the kind of "heresy" they would openly denounce under just about any other circumstance.

Also people forget that Pence grew up Catholic before he was born again in college - I think he would like people to forget that. But hello Mike Pence I see you at Christmas Eve mass with your family at my Roman Catholic parish almost every year. He's just awful.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I didn’t know he grew up Catholic.  Interesting.

(Incidentally, I attended a clerical-skills course with a former Catholic lady who attended an evangelical church, but still made her Easter duty(confession/Communion)every year.  She also said that she would never join the evangelical church because it required believers’ baptism by immersion, and “I believe in one baptism.”)

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic