IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 12

Coconut Flan

Eh...first thing I thought is that she mistakenly thinks Tiny Dancer is a David Bowie song.  Yes she could have checked in 2 seconds, but remember how they were raised.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:45 AM, Elegant Mess said:

Wow!  Doug is really touchy-feely, isn't he?

Maybe extremely touchy-feely with guys? Although I seem to remember him making Michelle Duggar uncomfortable when presenting her that mother of the year award, and wasn’t there something about singing with his daughter, or standing with her as she sang? Anyhow, I encountered him at the Vision Forum booth at a long-ago Oregon homeschooling state convention and tried to talk to him, and he was incredibly standoffish. Barely acknowledged my existence and made me feel as if I was being inappropriate by just saying a few words. Of course, the VF fanatics at our church had a similar thing; a friend who went to the super-conservative state homeschooling event in WA state reported that she tried to ask one of our church elders (a VF fanatic-of-fanatics whose sons went on to be VF interns) a question, and he ignored her almost completely (gave her just enough attention to make it clear that it was inappropriate for a woman to talk to a man who wasn’t her relative).

I thought she was exaggerating. I should have believed her.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:50 AM, Howl said:

That was my thought. One of the FM stations I listen to in the car was playing a Bowie song, and noted it was the anniversary of his death -- Jan 10, 2016.  Does that match  up with the date of her post?

The time stamp inbegr. Image seems to be

“14 1 ‘21”

Oh my. 

• Upvote 1

In the late-ish 1990s I worked with some much younger folks who had just re-discovered the Grateful Dead and played them throughout the workday.  I liked the Dead during the original iteration, but Round 2 was a bit much. 

Which is to say, there's no telling which past music icon will be rediscovered and much adored by a subsequent generation. 

• Upvote 3

Only in the last year have I discovered that I actually like Elton John. Turns out I like his stuff that isn’t the same 5 songs EVERY radio station plays. Personally hate “Rocket Man” and “Candle In The Wind” and am meh about “Tiny Dancer”, “Yellow Brick Road” and “Daniel”

Afaik I have never heard any of his rocky and upbeat stuff and I absolutely love it. 24 years after I first heard a song of his I became a fan. 
(Still need to watch Rocket Man) 

• Upvote 5

I would say that about a lot of musicians/bands, that I like more than the 5 songs that corporate owned radio stations play all the time. I still plan to see Rocket Man when it's on HBO or other cable channel, as I never got around to seeing it in the theater.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:14 AM, Mrs Ms said:

Trying not to be too cynical, but was it posted the day or shortly after the anniversary of his death? Going for hashtags that are trending....

Oh my gosh, yes! I hadn't thought of that, but it's gotta be it.

My knee-jerk reaction was to wonder if she just somehow confused Bowie and Elton, but I think she mostly listens to music via streaming (she shows the screens a lot on her IG stories) and of course the artist's name is right there. It just seemed a little too basic for someone who can give a rundown on Annette Hanshaw's songbook.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading back through an old thread and saw that apparently there was at one time a picture of DP and Doug Wilson together, but it wasn't posted on that thread.  Anybody happen to have that anywhere or know where it might be?  That's a treasure and I want it if it's still out there.  ?

@Gothard is a perv posted a snark-out to Doug Phillips' Raising the Allosaur: The True Story of a Rare Dinosaur and the Home Schoolers Who Found It.   For those not familiar, this is a scandal-ridden episode where homeschoolers paid Vision Forum big bucks to attend a dinosaur fossil dig and Doug Phillips made a fraudumentary about it.  

The situation was covered in a New Yorker article in 2019.  It's a good overview of Young Earth Creationism, Doug Phillips' fraudulent version of events passed off as a documentary, and the Mark Meadows (ex!-President Trump's Chief of Staff) tie-in. 

This article is not behind a paywall:  Mark Meadows and the Undisclosed Dinosaur Property  A fight among fossil hunters, a dubious documentary, and the conservative congressman from North Carolina.

A wonderfully snarky take on the revelations in the New Yorker article: This Homeschool Creationist Paleontology Political Scandal Has Everything

...and God help you if  you want to fall down the "Jen's Gems: Doug Phillips' Ecclesiastical Tyranny and Abuse"  web site rabbit hole and read T.W. Eston's version of events:  Raising The Allosaur, A Doug Phillips Fraudumentary, which does have a lot of detail. 

I skimmed the Eston article and this caught my eye -- according to Eston, Vision Forum, Inc was a million bucks in the hole when Raising the Allosaur was released.  Selling the film and all the associated VF merch put them back in the black: 

Spoiler

Doug Phillips had big financial problems at the time that he set out to produce his “first feature documentary film”. Just prior to the release of Raising The Allosaur, Dunn and Bradstreet’s fiscal rating of Vision Forum Inc showed that they were over a million dollars in the red. The many thousands of copies of Raising The Allosaur that were sold, along with all the associated dino dig merchandise, including Indiana Jones fedoras, rock hammers, fossils, and dinosaur toys, quickly put Vision Forum in the black. There was no other product line that had ever made Vision Forum so much money so quickly.

I don't recall knowing that VF, Inc was a total money sink for part of its existence, but maybe I knew and had forgotten; I'm terrible w/ recall on details. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 12

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I don't recall knowing that VF, Inc was a total money sink for part of its existence

Don't think that information was very public. Neither VFI nor VFM were very transparent when it came to finances. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

At this point it has been nearly 2 years since the last activity in the AmEx suit against DPIAT, and the case is still listed as “pending.”

I have lost all faith in American Express.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

This Allosaurus/Doug/Mark Meadows stuff is new to me— thank you thank you! I now live in Meadows’ old district, what a scammy scummy man he appears to be. 

Unfortunately we now have Madison Cawthorn who was homeschooled, lies, and appears to be just as bad. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Unfortunately we now have Madison Cawthorn who was homeschooled, lies, and appears to be just as bad. 

I'm not sure there is anyone worse than Cawthorn. He's a compulsive liar about so many things: stolen valor (he was NEVER admitted to the Naval Academy), he never trained for the Paralympics, he's an epic scumbag.  

That North Carolinans chose him over a stand-up guy like Morris Davis is still shocking. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm not sure there is anyone worse than Cawthorn. He's a compulsive liar about so many things: stolen valor (he was NEVER admitted to the Naval Academy), he never trained for the Paralympics, he's an epic scumbag.  

Add sexual predator to that list, according the linked article in World Magazine, of all places.

Is Cawthorn the great representative of family values his campaign indicates? Several women, citing his behavior toward them, say no. The women say Cawthorn exhibited sexually or verbally aggressive behavior toward them when they were teenagers. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

That North Carolinans chose him over a stand-up guy like Morris Davis is still shocking. 

I only moved to NC two months before the election and I was SHOCKED when Cawthorn won; oh how I misjudged thing. I really thought with the size/progressiveness of Asheville, that he couldn’t and wouldn’t take it. And he did. And he’s continued to be awful. His arms outstretched at Hitler’s vacation home are so telling— and his use of his wheelchair and disability is disgusting. When he stood at the RNC, as if that’s a sign of strength, if one is confined to a chair. His bragging about the paralympics— which he was never associated with. It’s disgusting. He’s on able-ism’s side, from the view of his wheelchair. One brewery I really like gave him a bunch of money and I’m still not sure I can go there, post-COVID. 

Coming back to add that the man-child wore a racist dog whistle hunting jacket to speak at Trump’s Stop the Steal rally, and then later bragged to the media that he was armed, so he could have been, you know, GI Joe in a wheelchair, when they breached the capitol. He was armed on the floor. He’s getting way too little attention for how utterly horrific he as. And he’s 25. 

Edited by fundiewatch
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

(Carrying this over from the Botkin thread where DPIAT came up)

Inquiring minds want to know how tall ( how short?) is super midget DPIAT

And if he is height challenged why on earth do the manly man super wide stance which would make him even shorter?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, VVV said:

At this point it has been nearly 2 years since the last activity in the AmEx suit against DPIAT, and the case is still listed as “pending.”

I have lost all faith in American Express.

Damn.  Does this mean I can get an amex and go all charge happy without repercussions?   </sarcasm>

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

And if he is height challenged why on earth do the manly man super wide stance which would make him even shorter?

Wild guess, but he wants to give the impression that he has to air out his massive, sperm-swollen testicles, because he's THAT MANLY. 

He's also a drama queen ("Moar cellos!") so he overdoes everything. 

Edited by Howl
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

I only moved to NC two months before the election and I was SHOCKED when Cawthorn won; oh how I misjudged thing. I really thought with the size/progressiveness of Asheville, that he couldn’t and wouldn’t take it. And he did. And he’s continued to be awful. His arms outstretched at Hitler’s vacation home are so telling— and his use of his wheelchair and disability is disgusting. When he stood at the RNC, as if that’s a sign of strength, if one is confined to a chair. His bragging about the paralympics— which he was never associated with. It’s disgusting. He’s on able-ism’s side, from the view of his wheelchair. One brewery I really like gave him a bunch of money and I’m still not sure I can go there, post-COVID. 

Coming back to add that the man-child wore a racist dog whistle hunting jacket to speak at Trump’s Stop the Steal rally, and then later bragged to the media that he was armed, so he could have been, you know, GI Joe in a wheelchair, when they breached the capitol. He was armed on the floor. He’s getting way too little attention for how utterly horrific he as. And he’s 25. 

I have lots of dem voting family who also live around Asheville.  My mom also does volunteer voter calling for the dems.  I know they were really disappointed in the election outcome.   Regarding what I bolded, where is that home?   Also, since I visit Asheville alot, do you mind saying which brewery that was?  I don't want to give them my business, and I will let my family know not to visit them either.  

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 3

On 10/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, hoipolloi said:

Think it stands for "voice overs."

The Cinema of Wonder website had a section with examples of Dougie's fine work in voice overs. 

ETA: Thank you, Dougie! He has a sample VO video on his Vimeo channel.

Voiceovers lol.  Someone should ask him to do a VO of his favorite poem that he quoted constantly back in his VF days.  Kipling's Gods of the Copybook Headings...

....On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "The Wages of Sin is Death."...

...And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!"

I wonder how his "brave new world" is working out? I'll bet he's finding out that water will still wet us, especially with the FJ community following his every malformed turn. 

• Thank You 3

On 1/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, Howl said:

Not getting a "respecter of personal space" vibe from this photo!  Also unmanly.  

Having interacted with him quite a bit back in the 1997 - 2004 timeframe I would say that invading personal space was one of the ways he made people feel uncomfortable. I'm sure it was an intimidation tactic to enforce a feeling of domination.  Fortunately I don't have any memories of touching, just uncomfortable closeness and creepy worship of my sister every time we interacted.  "She is so graceful" I believe that he told me her grace was angelic at one point, but that was a long time ago.  

Fortunately we lived a long distance away.

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

I have lots of dem voting family who also live around Asheville.  My mom also does volunteer voter calling for the dems.  I know they were really disappointed in the election outcome.   Regarding what I bolded, where is that home?   Also, since I visit Asheville alot, do you mind saying which brewery that was?  I don't want to give them my business, and I will let my family know not to visit them either.  

He went to Eagles Nest, which is in Germany. 

image.jpeg.428b62144822490f80218841d8a5cd25.jpeg

I am bad at images, tech illiterate haha. And it’s Wicked Weed! They have three wonderful locations. ? I recently sent an email saying, hey, you gave like $6000 to this guy and he seems worse and worse as time goes on. I said I’m hesitant to support them and asked if there’s some additional context, that it was an employee match, or tell me all the good you do, or that you also gave to dems. I haven’t heard anything back yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

THE AUDACITY OF DOUG PHILLIPS. To introduce his child to one of the women he was gallivanting around Europe with when his wife was sitting in disgrace in a crappy rental in Colorado or Texas or wherever. SO THEY COULD BE PALS. 

Also, why does Faith look like she's 40 already? Hate really does age you, I guess.

Edited by Jencendiary
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic