IGNORED

2020 Presidential Election 5: Talk About An October Surprise

GreyhoundFan

5 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Oh hey! Did you see the Republican Party posted the priorities for trumps second term?

Not a parody. As best I can tell.

5D1F4CC4-7F75-43DE-A7EC-9E7DCCE001BE.thumb.jpeg.669027c78552f465f48896f152190e69.jpeg

I'd be cool with the moon idea if Trump and his minions were willing to become the permanent manned presence there.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I'd be cool with the moon idea if Trump and his minions were willing to become the permanent manned presence there.

Eh, moon's too close. Maybe the first manned deep space mission?

• Upvote 5

Remember when Republicans used to give speeches about the importance of personal responsibility?:character-oldtimer:

• Upvote 9
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Remember when Republicans used to give speeches about the importance of personal responsibility?:character-oldtimer:

So he's announcing that they're failures and are willing to infect you to get your vote.  If that isn't banking on stupidity, I don't know what is.

• I Agree 9

Posting this for those of you who go for this kind of thing and need a little encouragement in these anxious times:

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 4

While we can't get complacent since it's not a done deal, I am feeling optimistic that Biden will win.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 3

51 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

While we can't get complacent since it's not a done deal, I am feeling optimistic that Biden will win.

I'm not.  Still have nightmares from four years ago when I thought HRC had it in the bag.  And the Russians plus Iran and China are interfering and nothing is being done about it.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

Anyone following the Lou Dobbs/Lindsey Graham kerfuffle? Trump fellator Lou Dobbs is having a screaming melt down over Lindsey not announcing a major investigation "into whether then-President Barack Obama’s administration targeted Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign."  I mean, Dobbs is enraged and claiming the people of South Carolina have no reason to vote for Lindsey. 

The Hunter Biden laptop gambit failed miserably and Trump is absolutely desperate for an October surprise, like when Comey announced a further investigation into Clinton's emails.   And when I say desperate, the clock is ticking down. 

Also speculation on The Twitters: 

• something incriminating/scandalous was going to drop about Lindsey G but nothing did
  • someone was going to drop a Hunter Biden sex tape but that seems to be an unfounded rumor. 

Then Putin announced that he did not see anything illegal in the Biden's dealings with Ukraine, which sounds like he's getting ready to suck up to a prospective Biden administration...or maybe he's just providing cover for himself over huge Russian interference in the US election. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7

On 10/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, Alisamer said:

Oh hey! Did you see the Republican Party posted the priorities for trumps second term?

Not a parody. As best I can tell.

5D1F4CC4-7F75-43DE-A7EC-9E7DCCE001BE.thumb.jpeg.669027c78552f465f48896f152190e69.jpeg

I could point out that both Nazi Germany , and Soviet Russia beat them to it .  I mean I could if I were some delusional nutjob , who can't tell the difference between real life , and alternative facts presented in movies .   

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

I know a few pro-Trumpers and and they've gone oddly quiet lately on the subject of politics.  I had the same impression, though somewhat more in retrospect, in 2016.  Normally, they'd make at least a feeble attempt to sway me when we chatted.  Not sure if this is cause for celebration or concern or whether it's just coincidence.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.e003a81e61b04e44870f3dd1ad69c771.png

Why assume all these early voters are Dems? I don’t. I think there’ll be great turnout this election but I’m not at all confident it won’t include a whole lotta early-voting republicans and trumpers too :( I’m not even American and I’m so scared for you guys and wishing for it to hurry up and be over.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 4

4 hours ago, Smee said:

Why assume all these early voters are Dems? I don’t. I think there’ll be great turnout this election but I’m not at all confident it won’t include a whole lotta early-voting republicans and trumpers too :( I’m not even American and I’m so scared for you guys and wishing for it to hurry up and be over.

I agree.  This is really not the time for potentially erroneous assumptions.  The Trump voters, on the whole, have nothing to gain by announcing themselves.  Their candidate is behind.  If Biden voters expect a landslide they'll be more likely to stay home.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Posting this for those of you who go for this kind of thing and need a little encouragement in these anxious times:

Even if Biden wins, 45 and his minions will absolutely do everything to stay in power. He didn't agree to a peaceful transfer of power so everything can happen until Biden is in office.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 6

9 hours ago, Smee said:

I went to early vote this weekend and was surrounded by people who were very vocal Trump supporters. We cannot assume that only the democrats are fired up to vote. Republicans are too. High voter turnout isn't an indication that Biden will win. 

3 hours ago, Smash! said:

Even if Biden wins, 45 and his minions will absolutely do everything to stay in power. He didn't agree to a peaceful transfer of power so everything can happen until Biden is in office.

I will not feel better until someone else has been sworn in as president. It doesn't matter if Biden wins by a landslide, Trump and the GOP aren't going to easily give up power. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I agree that high early voter turnout is encouraging, but it's not indicative of how Democrats will fare. Yes, early voters tend to be Democrats on the whole, but Republicans make up for it on Election Day.  

I doubt Biden will take Texas, but then again, he doesn't need to.  

• Upvote 5

Point in case re early voting - I saw a photo over the weekend - probably over on Reddit - of The Boob and Meech early voting.

• Upvote 3

The voting turnout so far does seem to have far, far surpassed 2016.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's leaning toward Biden.

My hope is that Trump has his supporters, but those are the ones who came out to vote for him in 2016, and that the surge of people who don't normally vote are voting against him. I can't imagine Trump gaining huge amounts of new followers during his time in office, what with all the crazy.

But people as a whole seem to be pretty stupid, and I'm not taking anything for granted. I know there were plenty of Trump supporters in line when I went to early vote.

If Biden wins the election I'll untense a little, but I won't be letting out that breath I've been holding for four years until after the inauguration.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

George probably nullified his wife's vote there.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

A Fox News (yes, I know, I know) article says some states are reporting over 60% voter turnout in EARLY voting.

Some states have already reached more than 60% of their 2016 voter turnout as of Wednesday, including Texas (80.2%), Montana (69.6%). Georgia (64.9%), North Carolina (65%), Tennessee (65%), New Mexico (60.9%), and Hawaii (60.2%).

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2020-election-ballots-cast-so-far

• Upvote 5

North Carolina says as of early this morning they have had 3,171,218 votes come in.

This time in 2016 the total was 1,653,216.

Interestingly 35.67% of registered voters in NC are registered as Democratic. Republicans are 30.21%, and unaffiliated are 33.37%. Republicans think they are the majority, but they're not. Of course, some registered as unaffiliated are actually Republicans - but some (like me) are Democrats essentially. 

If you are registered as unaffiliated you can choose which primary to vote in. Some like to vote for the "least bad" of the opposite party rather than in their own primary, especially if there is an incumbent on the ticket. That might be partly how we ended up with Biden as the candidate.

In any case, it's going to be down to the unaffiliated voters, I think. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic