IGNORED

2020 Presidential Election 5: Talk About An October Surprise

GreyhoundFan

I kinda like this version of Florida man.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

This is preaching to the choir, I know, but I still wanted to share.

• Upvote 11

Thoughts and prayers

Hackers have stolen $2.3 million from the Wisconsin Republican Party’s account that was being used to help reelect President Donald Trump in the key battleground state, the party’s chairman told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The party noticed the suspicious activity on Oct. 22 and contacted the FBI on Friday, said Republican Party Chairman Andrew Hitt.

The attack was discovered less than two weeks before Election Day, as both Trump and Democratic rival Joe Biden made their final push to win Wisconsin and its 10 electoral votes. Trump won the state by fewer than 23,000 votes in 2016 and planned his third visit in seven days on Friday. Biden also planned to campaign in Wisconsin on Friday. Polls have consistently shown a tight race in the state, usually with Biden ahead by single digits and within the margin of error.

Hitt said he was not aware of any other state GOP being targeted for a similar hack, but state parties were warned at the Republican National Convention this summer to be on the lookout for cyber attacks.

• Haha 9

You scared, Donnie? You sound scared.

• Upvote 8

13 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

You scared, Donnie? You sound scared.

Of course he thinks everyone else is dubious, because debauchery is his middle name,

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

Too many onions in this room....

Yeah I've got something in my eyes now.  (And no I do not want Barney's hanky)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smee said:

I wish people wouldn’t do this. This kind of thing is how the election result is going to end up in the Supreme Court and we all know how THAT will go.

If Biden wins in a landslide, and if Trump attempts to pull BS stunts, and not accept and move on (perhaps take a page from Clinton’s playbook), all hell is going to break loose from BOTH sides. There better be a person on his team, or on this planet, who is quick with the hook to his collar.

How many times in the last 6 years have we all hoped for him to rise to the occasion of the office Of the POTUS, and yet it hasn’t happened. What’s particularly frightening about this situation is Trump has so much to lose if he loses this election. 

• I Agree 5

Oh this would be the ultimate fuck you from Mrs. Clinton to Fuck Face to have her vote directly for Biden and Harris in the electoral college

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday she is one of the 538 electors in the Electoral College.

"I'm an elector in New York," the 2016 Democratic nominee told SiriusXM's "Signal Boost." "I'm sure I'll get to vote for Joe (Biden) and (Sen. Kamala Harris) in New York. So, that's pretty exciting."

Clinton has previously called for the abolition of the Electoral College, where electors directly vote on the president and vice president of the United States. She advocated for the president to be instead selected based on the US popular vote. Clinton won almost 2.9 million more votes than Donald Trump in 2016, but lost the election after Trump secured a majority of votes in the Electoral College.

• Upvote 12

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me in the least:

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 11

Does stuff get postmarked/stamped with the date it was SENT over there? I believe mail-in ballots here must be posted by Election Day, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will be received by Election Day. Surely it’s not that hard to check the date stamped on the envelope and see whether it was sent on time or not.

Also, fuck off with “the constitution doesn’t include a pandemic clause” like in what universe would anyone expect it to? These people are the Pharisees Jesus railed against, subscribing to the letter of the law while ignoring the spirit of the law.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Smee said:

Does stuff get postmarked/stamped with the date it was SENT over there? I believe mail-in ballots here must be posted by Election Day, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will be received by Election Day. Surely it’s not that hard to check the date stamped on the envelope and see whether it was sent on time or not.

The postmark is when the post office accepts it to send out. Each state has different rules about ballot acceptance. Some will take any ballot postmarked by x hour on election day; others don't care about the postmark, but require the ballot to be received on or before election day. In the latter case, even if it's postmarked a month before election day, if it's not received until the day after election day, you won't be counted. That's why there's been such an uproar about DeJoy's blatant work to slow down mail service, especially in swing states.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

Ah. Ours is must be postmarked by a certain date - we had local elections last weekend and due to the pandemic they were all by mail. The election was officially Sat 24th, but because the post office doesn't collect mail on Saturdays all ballots had to be postmarked Fri 23rd (which was a public holiday, but they still collected mail). They have said that the earliest results will be this weekend, as the ballots are coming in at different rates - I believe the official counting started on the 24th.

• Thank You 3

12 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Well it's a good thing that I took mine to my county drop-box...

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, obiwanfreak said:

Well it's a good thing that I took mine to my county drop-box...

That's what I did too.

• Upvote 4

That's a primary reason my sisters and I masked up and went to vote in person. The Republicans are trying so incredibly hard to make sure as few people as possible are able to vote, that I didn't like the idea of trusting my ballot to the post office, even if I'd given them tons of time to get it where it needed to go.

And I think we may see a complete turnaround after the election - if they even have the slightest thought that any Republican votes might be among those not yet counted, they'll suddenly be all for extending deadlines. For the red states and counties only, of course.

• Upvote 9

10 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

That's a primary reason my sisters and I masked up and went to vote in person. The Republicans are trying so incredibly hard to make sure as few people as possible are able to vote, that I didn't like the idea of trusting my ballot to the post office, even if I'd given them tons of time to get it where it needed to go.

Same. This is why I'm waiting until election day. 

Although I'm now panicked if my car doesn't start for some reason or I'm sick. I've come up with elaborate plans that involve walking along the side of the highway or having my friend drag me into the polls on a dolly if I'm so sick I can't even stand. (I'm perfectly healthy right now, I'm just a wee bit anxious...)

BTW, as of today 13% of registered Republicans who have voted went for Biden and 60% of independents. Only 4% of registered Dems voted Trump. Granted the diehard MAGAs are waiting until election day, but there is still a gap that is becoming nearly impossible for Trump to close. 

He still has a path, but it's so narrow. Trump basically has to have every single toss up state (and most have Biden in at least a narrow lead) go his way. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Same. This is why I'm waiting until election day. 

Although I'm now panicked if my car doesn't start for some reason or I'm sick. I've come up with elaborate plans that involve walking along the side of the highway or having my friend drag me into the polls on a dolly if I'm so sick I can't even stand. (I'm perfectly healthy right now, I'm just a wee bit anxious...)

I read an article earlier today about how many people have essentially no way to vote if they get sick (particularly with Covid) between now and election day. If they're not hospitalized, there's no real emergency system that works in most states. They could fill out an emergency absentee ballot and have a family member drop it off, but they would still normally need a witness. So they'd have to have somebody watch through a window as they filled it out, I guess, then hand it off to a (hopefully gloved) relative to drop it off in the ballot box for them. 

So if someone is diagnosed with Covid but is not sick enough to be hospitalized, their only practical way to vote is to go in person anyway. Which sucks massively. Partly because that's just wrong, but also because I suspect the majority of the people both likely to get infected and likely to shrug and go vote anyway on Election Day are probably Trump supporters who think the whole thing is overblown anyway. 

Voting should not be a death defying superspreader event.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Only 4% of registered Dems voted Trump.

The fact that it is not 0% still astonishes me.

15 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Voting should not be a death defying superspreader event.

Really.

• Upvote 15

Ugh.  Fuck Face is coming here for one of his super spreader klan rallies. 

The Trump campaign announced five more campaign stops on Sunday ahead of Election Day.

It includes a stop in Dubuque at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

• Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic