IGNORED

Mrs. Midwest 3: Feminine Racism

AmericanRose

What are strawberry legs? Is this something else that women are supposed to be worried about, on top of the following: 

• Hair must be clean, thick, with a flattering cut that is both long and short at the same time. 
  • Weight must be neither fat nor thin, you'll get harassed either way
  • skin must be clear and free of "blemishes," if you have freckles spend less time in the sun. Be tan but don't be tan at the same time, being tan gives you cancer, and looking pale is bad but also so is being tan. 
  • Have a nice smile with straight teeth that is also not "too white." 
  • nails must be painted but not painted too often, don't pick a "whorish" color. 
  • Shave every hair off of your body from the neck down. But also don't because dudes don't want to "make love to a child down there" but also do because "eww hair." 
  • Boobs must be perky and large but not too large. 
  • Jawbone must be feminine but also not too pointy. 
  • Blonde hair means you are fun but also brown hair means you are smart, obviously you should die your hair to the opposite of whatever your natural hair color is. 
  • the shape of our feet must be feminine, with dainty ankles
  • shoulders can't bee too broad. 
  • don't work out too much
  • don't not work out 
  • Wear dresses but also don't wear dresses, dresses are too formal, guys want a girl who can look pretty but also ride a horse or something
  • eat a lot but stay really skinny without working out. 
  • be hot without being too hot. 
  • get a pedicure at the slightest hint of a callous on your foot, but don't be too expensive 
  • no wrinkles, but also look and dress your age. 
  • no scars but also don't be afraid to get dirty 
  • don't be physically dirty ever but don't be afraid to get down and dirty. 
  • Don't have "knobby knees" but also don't have "square knees" 
  • Don't be "all elbows" but don't let your arms "get fat." 

Women can not win. And the worst is when other women get down and dirty with the "oh, she's too thin. Oh she NEEDs to get a pedicure ASAP how dare she go out like that" ... "that dress requires that you shave" "Her arms are too fat for that style of dress." it's bad enough that we have men judging us constantly for every single thing. Do I really have to worry about some dumb bible thumper's opinion that my legs are too strawberry now? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 7

She just followed this anti vaccine/“food will cure all ills” page on insta ?. Place your bets now on whether she vaccinates her kid

586A508A-D000-4A9D-938C-17BA3773CC31.jpeg

Edited by kaluce
  • Angry 5
  • WTF 3

15 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

What are strawberry legs? Is this something else that women are supposed to be worried about, on top of the following: 

• Hair must be clean, thick, with a flattering cut that is both long and short at the same time. 
  • Weight must be neither fat nor thin, you'll get harassed either way
  • skin must be clear and free of "blemishes," if you have freckles spend less time in the sun. Be tan but don't be tan at the same time, being tan gives you cancer, and looking pale is bad but also so is being tan. 
  • Have a nice smile with straight teeth that is also not "too white." 
  • nails must be painted but not painted too often, don't pick a "whorish" color. 
  • Shave every hair off of your body from the neck down. But also don't because dudes don't want to "make love to a child down there" but also do because "eww hair." 
  • Boobs must be perky and large but not too large. 
  • Jawbone must be feminine but also not too pointy. 
  • Blonde hair means you are fun but also brown hair means you are smart, obviously you should die your hair to the opposite of whatever your natural hair color is. 
  • the shape of our feet must be feminine, with dainty ankles
  • shoulders can't bee too broad. 
  • don't work out too much
  • don't not work out 
  • Wear dresses but also don't wear dresses, dresses are too formal, guys want a girl who can look pretty but also ride a horse or something
  • eat a lot but stay really skinny without working out. 
  • be hot without being too hot. 
  • get a pedicure at the slightest hint of a callous on your foot, but don't be too expensive 
  • no wrinkles, but also look and dress your age. 
  • no scars but also don't be afraid to get dirty 
  • don't be physically dirty ever but don't be afraid to get down and dirty. 
  • Don't have "knobby knees" but also don't have "square knees" 
  • Don't be "all elbows" but don't let your arms "get fat." 

Women can not win. And the worst is when other women get down and dirty with the "oh, she's too thin. Oh she NEEDs to get a pedicure ASAP how dare she go out like that" ... "that dress requires that you shave" "Her arms are too fat for that style of dress." it's bad enough that we have men judging us constantly for every single thing. Do I really have to worry about some dumb bible thumper's opinion that my legs are too strawberry now? 

Reminds me of this fragment: 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Wow you didn't realize that it's your duty as a woman to make sure you resemble a photoshopped advertisement as closely as possible? 

Strawberry legs are the phenomenon that happens when you have clogged pores and irritated hair follicles on your legs that resemble the seeds on a strawberry. It's mainly caused by irritation from shaving by using old razors, irritating shaving cream etc. 

Click the link below to see the horror of strawberry legs for yourself! 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5af0a77674777031c1f073214e2923c6.png

I cured my strawberry legs myself by the secret method of....no longer thinking that my body has to be completely smooth and hairless at all times and thus not shaving my legs constantly. 

Edited by milkteeth
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 4

When I was younger we just called that "razor burn." The more you know. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

She really is a trad "cool girl" in that everything she does is so performative! I feel like she's the type of woman who turns on the shower when she uses the restroom when her man is home so he can't hear any unladylike noises ? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Now that I'm back in the city and can YouTube again...

5 Ways to Be Instantly More Elegant... || Easy Elegance Basics
She has a new logo! It reminds me of something I would have seen on TV in the 90s... not very 'elegant'.
MM does her disclaimer about her videos not being for everyone, and she doesn't think she's better than anyone because she's interested in elegance.

Yes, Caitlin, your Youtube is pretty innocent (outside of those earlier videos that dipped into 'feminists misleading young women'). But your Twitter and your Insta (though I understand she's untagged herself from those European accounts... is she still following them?)  tell a very different story, and I'm skeptical she's changed.

MM lists the things that people look down on her for, and I just wonder what she means by 'traditional marriage'. Man and woman, or does she mean something else?
MM talks about diversity being more than just skin color.

Spoiler

1. Be gracious. This means keeping a serene, peaceful, joyful attitude no matter the situation. MM says she has to be honest, and has only been able to 'grow in graciousness' since growing in her faith / reading Scripture.
2. Take care of your external world. 
3. Remove vulgarity. MM says it's hard to define, but she encourages us to 'clean things up' in our live - anything that makes us 'feel yucky' inside.
4. Enjoy the small things in life. MM says she thinks she's known for this, which makes it exciting. She had to get used to it when she became a SAHW. The best way to do this is to take more time. She also says she's no longer drinking coffee now that she's pregnant.
5. Tidy up your appearance. Glow-ups are a long journey, and MM still feels as though she's working on tidying up her appearance. For her this meant washing her hair a little more often, getting her skin 'up to par', exfoliating, and being consistent with her make-up and style. MM says it isn't the most important thing, even a little bit. It's about looking as though you value yourself. MM believes god made women beautiful and we can enjoy it and enhance it without being vain.

My thoughts: none of this is bad advice (though I do have to laugh that pretty much all her advice videos include something about taking care of your appearance), but when you paint it as elegant... it just seems strange. Kind of grasping, I suppose - being gracious and taking care of your appearance I can see as elegant, but everything else... not so much. Of course, 2 Ways to Be Instantly More Elegant probably wouldn't have the same effect.
Though if a 'glow up' is a lengthy process, I guess it's not that instant. :think:

Is it just me, or is she becoming more religious?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 8/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, kaluce said:

She just followed this anti vaccine/“food will cure all ills” page on insta ?. Place your bets now on whether she vaccinates her kid

586A508A-D000-4A9D-938C-17BA3773CC31.jpeg

My guess is no, because of the aborted baybeez. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, kaluce said:

She just bought a $700 crib. So much for a ~frugal lifestyle omg 

I bought our baby crib from target in 2012 for $110.00. It’s gotten a ton of use and I can probably sell it for about $15.00. If a person plans on having a ton of kids, then sure, buy an expensive high quality crib. But I don’t see her being quiverful. Therefore her $700.00 crib will likely be a waste of money. I’m sure she could have found another decent crib for much less. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:

I don't think Husband can afford a Quiver.

I doubt he can afford a $700 crib! I would be more likely to Spend $700 on a really nice rocker or a dresser for the nursery. But cribs are pretty basic. Plus you only use them for a few years. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

@JermajestyDuggar I have no kids, so I know nothing about cribs - just that $700 seems pretty steep ? And aren't there like, other things they have to buy?

Yes! Diapers add up over time. Plus she will likely have to buy other things like a dresser, rocking chair, clothing, car seat, stroller, and maybe a swing or bouncy chair. Of course you can try and do without a lot of these items. But I doubt she will be frugal after paying that much for a crib. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

That hasn't stopped fundies before.

No... but I don't think it would fit in the "image" MM wants to portray, and I don't think Husband would have the patience to deal with 23424234908 kids underfoot. 

@JermajestyDuggar Damn ?

• Upvote 3

Per her stories today, she got a shipment notification from “fawn&forest” which looks like a bougie af baby store. The only crib for sale on their site is over 700 bucks. 

IKEA sells a really popular (and tbh cute) crib for like 150ish. You can find 4-in-1 cribs (ones that concert into beds) for way less than she paid (we got one for like, 300 and that felt like a ton). Currently, the recommendation is also to have the baby sleep in your room for a while so most people will also need to buy a bassinet. 

i understand wanting the best but she spent a tonnnnn and I’m pretty sure it’s just for the aesthetics cause that’s just a box a baby sleeps and shits itself in. 

plus like is her family helping at all? I know his probably is and they seem wealthy. Maybe they bought the crib who knows but oof If they bought it i feel like that money could have been spent on so much more. 

Edited by kaluce
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, kaluce said:

IKEA sells a really popular (and tbh cute) crib for like 150ish. You can find 4-in-1 cribs (ones that concert into beds) for way less than she paid (we got one for like, 300 and that felt like a ton). Currently, the recommendation is also to have the baby sleep in your room for a while so most people will also need to buy a bassinet. 

While I don't want to defend this "person" i do have to say that the closest IKEA to her would probably be schaumburg, which would be a good 4+ hour drive, so IKEA might not be on her radar for choices. 

I personally pay 2X as much for ikea, because I have to order through a local service that buys and ships it up, but since every furniture company in my town is hideous it's worth it.

She's closer to Grand Rapids, which does have a fairly decent selection of furniture. (It used to be known as "the furniture city" or something similar) Why buy online from another state when you could buy local? Probably just more cognitive dissonance from a Trump supporter who doesn't understand economics. Dumb choice on her behalf. 

On 8/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, AmericanRose said:

1. Be gracious. This means keeping a serene, peaceful, joyful attitude no matter the situation

This advice is toxic, especially to women. It’s a way to get them to shut up and comply no matter what the situation. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

Okay, now that my giggling has subsided, I present:

6 Video Workouts I Enjoy

"Working out should be part of every modern woman's life now that we don't have as much manual labor burning the calories and keeping us trim."
But I thought you were a traditional woman, Caitlin??

Spoiler

Taylor R Leg Workout
This was my absolute favorite workout for getting more noticeable definition in my thighs and bottom. I noticed that even though I still have fat in those areas, the muscles underneath became more toned and helped me look better in general.
Why does this sound like bragging. "Yes, I have fat in my thighs and butt... but they're toned."

April Han Arm Workout

Pahla B Cardio
I prefer low impact workouts due to my scoliosis and large breasts (don't want to tug on those ligaments!) and Pahla B has just the right set.
What defines large breasts? I don't consider mine particularly small, but I just put them in a sports bra when working out and... it's fine. But I guess then we wouldn't get a note about the large breasts.

April Han Leg Workout
I like to pair this with the Taylor R leg workout for a really good leg pilates session, and have absolutely noticed my body getting toned when I stick to these workouts.
I could have sworn she said something about walking being her exercise, because it helps you lose weight without 'bulking up'. I guess becoming toned is okay now!
This also feels like a dog whistle to her followers: "Yes, I'm pregnant now, but I'm still hot! And in a few months, I'll be a MILF, because I'm not a feminist and I care about what I look like!"

Since I'm essentially a housewife for the foreseeable future (minus the wife part) I'm tempted to try out Caitlin's counter-culture lifestyle and see what happens.

Of course, I still have to have my work laptop on for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I have an apartment and not a house, but... MAYBE I'LL CONVERT. ?

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

Hide contents

I prefer low impact workouts due to my scoliosis and large breasts (don't want to tug on those ligaments!) and Pahla B has just the right set.

Nothing screams modest femininity like telling people about your large breasts.

Edited by Giraffe
Screwed up the quote
  • Upvote 8

19 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Nothing screams modest femininity like telling people about your large breasts.

I don’t think she can go more than a few days without mentioning her ~hefty bosom ?

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, kaluce said:

I don’t think she can go more than a few days without mentioning her ~hefty bosom ?

It’s so strange to me. If she would drop her faux modesty persona she could dress them in whatever way she wants and not seem so desperate for attention. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

It’s so strange to me. If she would drop her faux modesty persona she could dress them in whatever way she wants and not seem so desperate for attention. 

I honestly think it's part of her weird RedPill belief system clashing with her belief in Christianity. Like she has to be simultaneously modest and sexy in order to attract a husband and then _remain_ highly sexually attractive. But then she's also trying to get into a more hardcore Christian belief ~circle, which obviously promotes modesty in not only a "don't be a slut" way, but is also a "hide your sinful self" way. 

It seems the more fundamentalist she goes (I mean, she believes women's circles in churches are bad ffs), part of her is like, acting out and posting much more about her ~High Sexual Market Value body. The cognitive dissonance in her has gotta be real. I bet her body changing with pregnancy and the fear of post-pregnancy weight issues isn't helping either. 

She NEVER used to post this much about her boobs. Now it's in almost every single post and video. I know more about her tits than I do my own. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, Maggie Mae said:

While I don't want to defend this "person" i do have to say that the closest IKEA to her would probably be schaumburg, which would be a good 4+ hour drive, so IKEA might not be on her radar for choices. 

I personally pay 2X as much for ikea, because I have to order through a local service that buys and ships it up, but since every furniture company in my town is hideous it's worth it.

She's closer to Grand Rapids, which does have a fairly decent selection of furniture. (It used to be known as "the furniture city" or something similar) Why buy online from another state when you could buy local? Probably just more cognitive dissonance from a Trump supporter who doesn't understand economics. Dumb choice on her behalf. 

she lives closest to Muskegon. The bad thing is a lot of baby stores have gone out of business (babies r us was the biggest) and most regular furniture stores don't carry cribs. The BEDZ store in Muskegon (per the website) doesn't have cribs, Art Van is going out of business and Langlois also doesn't show cribs. 

But I know Walmart and Target have cribs (both near her). so she could have found a more economical choice than a $700 crib. 

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic