IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10/11 4: Babies, Babies, Babies

Coconut Flan

Three thoughts after watching the episode:

1) Gideon is adorable. He and Austin were the cutest/funniest dad/son pairing in the storyline

2) Why do Jeremy and Jinger keep saying they live in LA? Minor quibble, but they don’t. They live in Southern California and it’s a big place. I grew up in SoCal and didn’t move away until college and there are hundreds of amazing towns that are not LA (and arguably...much nicer) all over SoCal. No one really says they live in LA unless they do. In the many towns surrounding where I grew up we might generically say “45 minutes east of LA” to someone from out of state, but that’s it. Jinger and Jeremy are probably at least an hour away. They’re either doing it for privacy or they’re not really used to the area yet.

3) Kendra’s mom went to the ladies day and Lauren’s mom did not. Is Lauren’s family still in the area, or do they prefer to opt-out of the show with a few exceptions?

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

1) Gideon is adorable. He and Austin were the cutest/funniest dad/son pairing in the storyline

2) Why do Jeremy and Jinger keep saying they live in LA? Minor quibble, but they don’t. They live in Southern California and it’s a big place. I grew up in SoCal and didn’t move away until college and there are hundreds of amazing towns that are not LA (and arguably...much nicer) all over SoCal. No one really says they live in LA unless they do. In the many towns surrounding where I grew up we might generically say “45 minutes east of LA” to someone from out of state, but that’s it. Jinger and Jeremy are probably at least an hour away. They’re either doing it for privacy or they’re not really used to the area yet.

3) Kendra’s mom went to the ladies day and Lauren’s mom did not. Is Lauren’s family still in the area, or do they prefer to opt-out of the show with a few exceptions?

When we lived outside of LA, we just said SoCal, close enough. When we lived outside of San Francisco, it was the Bay Area. No one who lives in Marin, the East Bay or So. Bay says they live in. SF. Lauren’s mom likely had something else to do on that day, but I do get the impression that Lauren and hers think they are a bit higher on the ladder than the Duggars, which wouldn’t be a hard position to attain.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:Lauren’s mom likely had something else to do on that day, but I do get the impression that Lauren and hers think they are a bit higher on the ladder than the Duggars, which wouldn’t be a hard position to attain.

I’m waiting to see which daughter-in-law is the first to tell her husband that they’ll be spending Christmas Day with her family, not his. (Unless JD and Abbie went to her families...I can’t remember about them).

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Kendra’s mom went to the ladies day and Lauren’s mom did not. 

@llg1234‘s recap says that Lauren’s mom was there. I think she wasn’t on camera much, but Jessa listed who was there and mentioned her.

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

@llg1234‘s recap says that Lauren’s mom was there. I think she wasn’t on camera much, but Jessa listed who was there and mentioned her.

I went back to check, and I misheard Jessa. I thought she said Lauren and Lana, but she only mentions Lauren. It appears Lana wasn't there.

I apologize.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, DalmatianCat said:

I’m waiting to see which daughter-in-law is the first to tell her husband that they’ll be spending Christmas Day with her family, not his. (Unless JD and Abbie went to her families...I can’t remember about them).

Well we all know Jeremy has been the biggest Duggar Snubber of them all. Yes, geography does play a role, but have the Vuolos ever spent a holiday with the Duggars? Furthermore, the Vuolos do seem to get to Philly on the regular, even for holidays.

• Upvote 10

23 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Well we all know Jeremy has been the biggest Duggar Snubber of them all. Yes, geography does play a role, but have the Vuolos ever spent a holiday with the Duggars? Furthermore, the Vuolos do seem to get to Philly on the regular, even for holidays.

They have spent the last several Christmases with the Vuolos, I think, and go to Arkansas for New Years?

Just checked Insta and it looks like JD and Abbie were in AR for Christmas 2019 but that could be because it was close to her due date. She might want to spend Gracie’s first Christmas with her family. 

I guess Kendra and Lauren live close enough to do Christmas with both families on Christmas Day.

• Upvote 4

To me, Jana's attitude is a classic case of realizing that life has passed her by and she's stuck at home under her father's rule while all her siblings are out enjoying "freedom". I also think the longer she's stayed at home the more rigid she's become in her attitude and unwillingness to accept new things. As crazy as it seems for all the other girls to have married so young, they do have the bonus of getting out of the house and seeing that there is so much more out there than frumpers and making your own laundry soap. I sense a lot of jealousy from Jana, and more than anything I sense uncomfortableness - especially in the clothing store. Jinger has spent enough time away with a husband who enjoys the finer things in life...trying new restaurants, moving to a new place, nice clothes, etc. She wasn't fooling anyone in that episode - that definitely wasn't the first time she's gone and dropped $300 clothes in a store. Meanwhile, Jana has been a thrift store only shopper her WHOLE life and it's been engrained in her that if you stray from the plan at all...you're less than. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

@SassyPantsI get what you are saying about spending more holidays with Jeremy's family.  To play devil's advocate, there have been 4 family weddings since Jinger and Jeremy's. That's 4 family gatherings attended by them. Jeremy' siblings, so no gatherings on his side to balance that out.  I don't see Jeremy possibly negotiating to spend Christmas at the Vuolos as unfair. 

• Upvote 9

On 7/18/2020 at 7:04 AM, DalmatianCat said:

I thought it was really nice of the guys to set up the, the moms day, even if it was just for a story line.  I'm still amazing at how Ben can always look/sound like he's stoned. 

I agree about Austin & Gideon. The more we see Austin the more I like him, or should I say his personality, the things he says, often have me laughing, he's got some snark in him, as does Joy, these 2 really do seem to be the best paired and have from the beginning.  It was refreshing to see a male in that world acknowledge how much work being a SAHM is, & he was NOT wrong in saying you have to watch toddlers like a hawk, they really will eat anything, moving or not. :laughing-jumpingpurple: 

This weeks TH had Joy sounding almost intelligent, for as young as she is, her handling the loss of Annabel is very mature/healthy. Wanting to be happy for her SIL's and them to not have to walk on eggshells around her, but still giving space to be sad and acknowledging the loss. You could see at the moms day she was having a hard time, trying to be happy & relaxed, but she looked stressed/sad. I noticed a couple times, she kind of tuned everyone out, was either in her phone or off to the side.  I also noticed she stuck to Abbie's side, Abbie was due enough after she was that it was probably easier for her to focus on her rather than Kendra, Lauren & Anna.  

• Upvote 16

So on the show, the November girls aren't yet born, do we already know till when this season will cover? I mean after this season we will have another for the current pregnancy (Jinger and Joy) and then maybe a wedding, between one of the howlers and a young bride, but after? Rinse and repeat? How boring!

• Upvote 4

TLC are launching another large family show - the Derricos- in August. I don’t know anything about them but maybe TLC are bored with the Duggars too! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

That sound interesting, since now many of them have a youtube channel and social account, probably TLC has given them a warning that the show is about to end, and it will be just special here and there 

• Upvote 3

TLC has a bunch of shows - both still on and off-air - about large families. I don't think a new show necessarily means anything for the future of the Duggar brand on the channel.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

TLC are launching another large family show - the Derricos- in August. I don’t know anything about them but maybe TLC are bored with the Duggars too! 

I did some research and it looks like it’s a family with 11 kids at the time of filming but the mom is pregnant with triplets. The mom has had multiple multiple births, quintuplets, twins, and triplets all conceived naturally. The kids names all start with the letter D and they only live about two hours from me. They seem more interesting than the Duggars, but I doubt this will mean the Duggars are going off the air. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

I wouldn't write the Duggars off.   Not until this airs and we see what the ratings are.  If they ratings are good and they renew the contract with this new family, maybe.  But how many high order multiples shows or large families have we seen that are one and done?  Because the Bates crashed and burned on TLC after one season then popped up over on Up.  

• Upvote 8

Season 11 Episode 3 "A Duggar Bachelor Pad" Part 1

Spoiler

We start off with footage of category 5 Hurricane Dorian hitting the Bahamas. John says that since the Duggars have experience with helping with disaster relief, they're flying down there to help out. Jeremiah talks about level of destruction. They brought in supplies and are helping in the Marsh Harbour area. Jason talks about how supplies were the most needed, especially water since "their water was pretty messed up." They claim to be working with approval of the local government/NEMA and helped transport people who need medical care. Jana, Laura, and Abbie are there to "help assist the guys that working hard out on the ground." John says that doing relief work shows him how this can happen to anyone.

At Jessa & Ben's, they're preparing to visit some friends in Kansas City. It will be their first road trip with 3 kids. The drive is 3 and a half hours, so they're hoping the kids nap through the trip. Some of the important tips for a road trip is to bring snacks and have the kids stay in their PJs, in case they make a mess. They'll change into their regular outfits when they get to their destination. They sing Amazing Grace together and their car has one of those stick figure family decals on the back window. Michelle talks about how she used to have a survival kit in the car, which was a plastic tub with stuff like diapers and perfume or cologne, in case one of her kids had a blow out and she needed to make them smell better (is it safe to put perfume on a baby???). Jinger recommends stopping every 3 hours to let the kid get some energy out. Jessa wrapped up some of their toys up in 4 layers of paper and plastic wrap to give them something to do and make it seem new. Spurgeon liked it, Henry not so much, since he couldn't figure out the plastic wrap. 

The Seewalds arrive at Johnson Farms Plants and Pumpkins in Belton. They meet up with their friends the Brandon and Jenna Chapman. They met at church and also have three kids (Isla, Judah, Zion) that are similar ages. Ben is a germaphobe (germ conscious) and isn't sure about picking apples from the ground. Ben noticed some really good looking apples near the top of the trees, so he tries to jump up and grab them. They use the wagon the kids were riding in to try and reach higher up. Jessa tells Ben to not a break a limb, his or the tree's. They got around 4-5 dozen apples.

In LA, they're taking Felicity to a Bye Bye Tears swim class. She's 15 months old and they think it's a good time to be introduced to the pool. There's a lot of pools in CA, so they think it would be safer for her to learn to swim early on. Jinger didn't go swimming much as a kid, but her younger siblings go often on one of her parents properties. JB said that the older kids went to swimming lessons, but the middle kids 'didn't have the opportunity' (aka they were too busy). Jessa, Joy and Joe all say they aren't good swimmers. Jinger's friend has been teaching her. Jeremy is going to get into the water. Jinger watches from the sidelines. Felicity kicks the water when they float her on her stomach. Once she's comfortable with that, the instructor puts her face under water (not fully submerged) and she starts crying. Felicity sees Jinger and starts crying for her, so Jinger hides behind a post. It's hard for her to not go and comfort Lissy, but she knows that this important for her to learn how to hold her breath under water. They'll keep going to lessons.

Back in AR, Jedidiah and Jeremiah have moved into their own place. The living room only has a ping pong table in it. They're going to get some couches soon. They share a room, since they always had beds right next to each other a the TTH. The other bedrooms are an office and a guest(?) room with a bunk bed. They're not the first kids to move out before getting married, as John moved out for awhile when he was doing 'pilot stuff.' Joseph went to Clown for while. Jed says everyone has to option to move out whenever they want, but a lot of them love being at home. For him, this is the best step for where he is in life rn (no mention of him running for office, since I don't think that's technically allowed). JB says that the kids usually stay at home until they're married because they can save up a lot of money that way. While they only have 10 kids at home still, it's exciting having all of the grand kids and in laws. 

TL;DR - John David provides us with a sanitized version of the Duggars 'helping' in the Bahamas, the Seewalds take a trip to Kansas City, MO, Felicity has her first swim class, Jed and Jer are renting a house together. 

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 15

So we're supposed to believe that Jed and Jer share a room because they want to? Sure Jan.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 5

Season 11 Episode 3 "A Duggar Bachelor Pad" Part 2

Spoiler

Josiah and Joseph go over to see the new place and bring some nasty looking patio chairs (Joe says he got them on the side of the road, but I think he's joking), so that they have a place to sit and a corn hole game set up. Joe guesses this house is about the size of the boys room at the TTH. The producers ask what the Duggars would give as a housewarming gift for a bachelor pad.
 - Michelle: trash cans
 - JB: air freshener
 - Abbie: home cooked meal
 - John David: microwave
 - Jessa: cookbook
 - Lauren: restaurant gift card

Since they've only been there a week and a half, they haven't cooked anything yet. Jed says they're making burgers, since that's a manly meal. They try to figure the oven out, but Josiah and Joe end up taking over the cooking since they're married and their wives have taught them how to cook a little. They've gone over to the TTH to eat a couple of times. Jed says they're going to have to learn to be better cooks, or they're just going to have to get married. Jed says be misses seeing his brothers every day and his mom's cooking, he doesn't have anyone he's interested in right now. Jeremiah doesn't say anything, but considering Jed is constantly running his mouth, he probably just couldn't get a word in. 

Jessa, Ben & co. are at the Kansas City Zoo. Jessa is breast feeding Ivy and walking at the same time. She doesn't want to slow anyone down. They go visit the lorikeets. You can go inside and feed the birds. The producers ask everyone what a lorikeet is. Most of them don't know, Jana guesses it's a bird and Jeremy of course knows that its a type of parakeet. Ben was pooped on by a bird recently, so he's a bit nervous. A bird lands on Ivy's head and she's pretty chill about it. It started raining, so they went inside to the stingray exhibit, where they can pet the stingrays. Henry ends up running off outside, but Ben quickly found him. Next is the Tropics building and Henry tries to run off again. They had a great time at the zoo and seeing their friends.

It's time for the weekly family fun night, but this time they're having it during the day at a corn maze in Farmland Adventures. They're breaking up into teams and will be going in at separate times. They're responsible for timing how long it takes them on their phones. The teams are:
 - John, Abbie, Tyler, Josie (11 min 37 secs)
 - Jason, Johannah, Anna, the M kids (8 min 38 secs)
 - Joseph, Kendra, Garrett (10 min 32 secs)
 - Joy, Austin, Gideon (15 min 30 secs)
 - Jessa, Ben, their kids, Jordyn (6 min 25 secs)
 - JB & M, Jeremiah, Justin, Jackson, Jennifer (7 min 48 secs)

John's team goes first, Abbie hopes being pregnant won't slow her down. The maze is huge. Jason's team had the stroller, so that slowed them down. Kendra is 36 weeks pregnant, so she can't go very fast. Joe took a picture of the maze on his phone and used that as a guide. He was 'very strategic in [his] strategy.' Joy's team is just going to try and run through the maze. Jessa's team also took a picture of map. John and Joy were much more spontaneous, which goes along with their personalities. Kendra says it's funny how your personality comes out in every aspect of your life (not shit). Austin jokingly says the biggest challenge of the corn maze was all of the corn stalks. He's never been in a corn maze before and says he wasted 15 minutes of his life. Jessa's team won and they're surprised since they had so many little kids in tow. JB says they all made it through, so they're all winners.

People missing/not mentioned from family night: the Dillards, Josh, Jana, the Vuolos (obviously), Josiah's family, Jedidiah, James 

Next week: they're having a family race called the Duggar Dash. This better not be the entire episode, omfg.

TL;DR - Josiah and Joe visit the twins at their new house, Jed and Jer remind us cooking is women's work, the Seewalds go to the zoo, family fun night is had at a corn maze. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

So we're supposed to believe that Jed and Jer share a room because they want to? Sure Jan.

I’m picturing them having conversations in their pyjamas like Bert and Ernie.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 36

I'm watching it on YouTube now and I'm really interested to see that the mediccorps name/logo on all of their shirts is blurred out. I appreciate the lack of free advertising for their sham charity. 

• Upvote 16

I cannot believe Jed and Jer are sharing a bedroom ..... in a two bedroom house. If it's a one bedroom house, I still think it's  weird, but not as weird as that whole empty bedroom with bunkbeds in it. Just.....what.

Does anyone know if there's somewhere with a summary of all the shady stuff they did in the Bahamas?

• Upvote 11

I wonder about Jed and Jer— maybe they actually do want to share a room. If they’ve never slept in a room alone, it might feel weirdly lonely and quiet.

I doubt they had the option to try sleeping alone though tbh. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Kinda thought a Jer courtship announcement would come with tonight’s episode. ? Guess not. The whole hiding relationships until engagement just in case they don’t work out is annoying. I know they’re not real on the show but give us A LITTLE reality. 

• Upvote 7

Jessa posted a picture of the women to advertise for tonight's show, and I just...

I don't usually BEC, but for some reason I was just stunned. So... spoilers for BEC!

Spoiler

Jessa: Looks like a polished professional. She might not want to be there, she might love being there... you'll never be able to tell.
Abbie: Looks a bit confused like she can't understand what she's done to be on TV.
Lauren: Looks uncomfortable.
Kendra: Looks happy and natural.
Jinger: Looks like her mother. It might be the hair, it might be the face, but I have to say... in comparison to everyone else's long(ish) curls/waves, Jinger has aged herself with that cut & colour. You're still in your mid-20s, Jinger. You don't need to look like a stereotypical soccer mom right now. I'm so confused; I actually liked the blonde look! What changed??
Jana: Looks like she'd rather be anywhere else, but is keeping sweet.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic