IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10/11 4: Babies, Babies, Babies

Coconut Flan

(In my defense, I've been sitting at the same spot in my living room, working on scrapbooking stuff for the last 3+ hours, without getting up or moving. And I don't have the TV remote within reach. That being said...)

And there again is that effin Laura Damn DeMaisie. For. The. Love.  Girl needs to get a JOB.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, nst said:

oh boy thank you @llg1234

since I only got 4 hours of sleep last night (thank you menopause) this is good to know.....

Oh I feel for you! So many nights up at 2 or 3 in the morning standing in front of a fan, putting towels on the wet bed so I could try to get a little more sleep. It will get better, I promise you. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I ended up watching some variation of Counting On that was focused on weddings. I saw everyone announced after their wedding - and without fail it was "Mr and Mrs HisName His MiddleName Duggar!" and all the girls (and I can say that - because except for Abbie - they all WERE girls) were so excited to be Mrs. His Name. 
I know it's a stretch to have anyone keep their name - but why couldn't it be "Mr and Mrs Austin & Joy Forsyth!" Nope it was Mr. & Mrs. Austin Whatever his middle name is Forsyth. (also- why with the middle name? Aside from JD - no one goes by their middle names...) 

I'm a little sensitive maybe - I didn't take my husbands last name - and I'm not even sure how they announced us at our wedding (it's been 18 years). But to have her name completely GONE from that situation - and have her be totally giddy and over the moon about being usurped just struck a nerve. 

Also - I was thinking about this with Kendra - so she was SUPER young when she got married (19). Hadn't been alone with a guy - ever - like - even in a car. Had never lived on her own, wasn't likely to have been able to stay anywhere by herself - hadn't likely been able to pick a book, movie, tv show on her own. And suddenly - she's married and she's living on her own, in her own house and she's living with a husband she has NEVER been alone with or had any alone conversations with. It's just so baffling to me. Are you prepared - at 19 - to take on a spouse and the quick arrival of little humans, in addition to having a house to manage? Or are you just trained at this from birth? 
It's so weird...

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

My stars that was the most boring episode.  I didn't make it through the thing.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Meggo said:

I know it's a stretch to have anyone keep their name - but why couldn't it be "Mr and Mrs Austin & Joy Forsyth!" Nope it was Mr. & Mrs. Austin Whatever his middle name is Forsyth. 

I'm a little sensitive maybe - I didn't take my husbands last name - and I'm not even sure how they announced us at our wedding (it's been 18 years). But to have her name completely GONE from that situation - and have her be totally giddy and over the moon about being usurped just struck a nerve. 

Also - I was thinking about this with Kendra - .... Are you prepared - at 19 - to take on a spouse and the quick arrival of little humans, in addition to having a house to manage? Or are you just trained at this from birth? 

I agree with all of this.  I didn't take my husband's name either.  I made sure at the wedding that we were announced by our individual names.  I have been called Mrs X and usually I let it slide, one time my MIL straightened out a particularly persistent teacher who kept calling me by her name ( as in Mrs. X, lol).  But when I hear that Mr. and Mrs Husband's name it does bother me.  Why no throw her name in there too?  

And as for Kendra, not to mention the other young brides in this cult, I can't even imagine.  I think the lucky ones are used to being sister wives and are happy with this as their life's path and that helps them to adjust.  The rest probably struggle.  It's a huge adjustment.  And it must be so lonely to go from a full house of siblings and noise to being all by yourself all day, until 9-12 months later when you are joined by a newborn.  No wonder Jill used to stalk Derrick all the time.  She went from being one of the HBICs in the big house with constant responsibilities and helpers and siblings around to being by herself in a big quiet house all day.  After cleaning up the breakfast dishes in 5 mins, what else can you do?  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I agree with all of this.  I didn't take my husband's name either.  I made sure at the wedding that we were announced by our individual names.  I have been called Mrs X and usually I let it slide, one time my MIL straightened out a particularly persistent teacher who kept calling me by her name ( as in Mrs. X, lol).  But when I hear that Mr. and Mrs Husband's name it does bother me.  Why no throw her name in there too?  

And as for Kendra, not to mention the other young brides in this cult, I can't even imagine.  I think the lucky ones are used to being sister wives and are happy with this as their life's path and that helps them to adjust.  The rest probably struggle.  It's a huge adjustment.  And it must be so lonely to go from a full house of siblings and noise to being all by yourself all day, until 9-12 months later when you are joined by a newborn.  No wonder Jill used to stalk Derrick all the time.  She went from being one of the HBICs in the big house with constant responsibilities and helpers and siblings around to being by herself in a big quiet house all day.  After cleaning up the breakfast dishes in 5 mins, what else can you do?  

I had an argument about this with my wedding invites. My mom insisted that Mr. & Mrs. Dads' Name was proper and I said "But you're not list there!" She said "I am - I'm the Mrs. part of it" (We went with first names. Mom and Dad Lastname) 

I hadn't thought of that either - the being in a big house full of people to just being with ONE person. I know when Bert & Ernie (the Duggar boys who have the house together) were discussing, they were like "it's quiet". But one other brother pointed out that you didn't get to share the utilities with your wife. (um... I guess if she's not working because she's keeping house and havin' babies but... that's not how it works in my world.... do these women even get to build credit on their own??) 

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I had an argument about this with my wedding invites. My mom insisted that Mr. & Mrs. Dads' Name was proper and I said "But you're not list there!" She said "I am - I'm the Mrs. part of it" (We went with first names. Mom and Dad Lastname) 

I hadn't thought of that either - the being in a big house full of people to just being with ONE person. I know when Bert & Ernie (the Duggar boys who have the house together) were discussing, they were like "it's quiet". But one other brother pointed out that you didn't get to share the utilities with your wife. (um... I guess if she's not working because she's keeping house and havin' babies but... that's not how it works in my world.... do these women even get to build credit on their own??) 

In the case of the Duggars and Bateses, the women work on the family show, so in that regard, and especially for the worthless Duggar men who have no outside the show jobs (or any job at all, Josh), the women are equally employed to the men. If those women aren’t building any credit, neither are the men. But again, when you live your life only being indebted to JB, you don’t really need to build your credit score. JB giveth and he taketh away!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Jeez, Joy didn't know that x means times in math. That is...like shockingly bad. I'm not blaming her--I'm blaming Michelle and the school of the dining room table. My job is to work with young children who struggle, and every single child on my math caseload knows that x means times.  I knew their education was poor but that's disgraceful.  Poor Joy. 

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, BernRul said:

Jeez, Joy didn't know that x means times in math. That is...like shockingly bad. I'm not blaming her--I'm blaming Michelle and the school of the dining room table. My job is to work with young children who struggle, and every single child on my math caseload knows that x means times.  I knew their education was poor but that's disgraceful.  Poor Joy. 

Remember Joy is the one who answered the question of who is the Duggars’ 10th grandchild with the answer of Spurgeon. I swear she went Josh has 6, JD has one and Jill has 2. 6+1+2=9 so Jessa’s first kid would be the 10th. And what makes this 10xs worse,(which Joy apparently wouldn’t understand) is that her own kid, Gideon,is the 10th Duggar grandchild. Man oh man SOTDRT strikes again.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Joy also guessed/estimated that the Duggars consume hundreds of thousands of gallons of ice cream each year in last week’s episode. I wasn't sure if that meant she doesn’t know how much is in a gallon or how big 100,000 is (relative to 1,000).

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

Yet you would think with all the fixer upper work her and Austin do she would have some grasp of concepts like area. Unless its all Austin, which I suspect is the case. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Just think- in a few years Joy will be home schooling Gideon, then later the baby!

As I posted on the Rodrigues thread, how long will it be until the Fundies are functionally illiterate or have very basic reading and math skills?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, clueliss said:

My stars that was the most boring episode.  I didn't make it through the thing.  

I normally always can actually read the recaps, this week, I even skimmed them. Such a boring ep, don't think I can even watch it. 

I have actually found that when I have watched the occasional ep after reading the recaps, the recaps are actually way more interesting than the actual footage. So if I could not even make it through the recaps this week, I aint gunna make the ep!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

As I posted on the Rodrigues thread, how long will it be until the Fundies are functionally illiterate or have very basic reading and math skills?

I think the answer is now.  I'm not sure Joy could pass as functionally literate.  I have doubts about several of the Duggars younger than Joy also.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I very much doubt Joy has had any high school level math or science, possibly not even middle school. There are some subjects I could see her testing at a 5th grade level at. Joy sounded so sad and deflated  when she said she didn't need algebra because she wasn't going to be an engineer. Oh honey, algebra is the least of what engineers need. There is this mystical thing called....calculus. 

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I very much doubt Joy has had any high school level math or science, possibly not even middle school. There are some subjects I could see her testing at a 5th grade level at. Joy sounded so sad and deflated  when she said she didn't need algebra because she wasn't going to be an engineer. Oh honey, algebra is the least of what engineers need. There is this mystical thing called....calculus. 

When I read this I thought of the picture of Philip Rodrigues studying math late at night that was on the Rodrigues thread. Fundies like the talking point about what the potential lives of aborted fetuses might be like, but they refuse to give their children any life. If a Fundie family has 10 kids, with 5 being boys, well, the world only needs so many preachers and missionaries. What could the others really do? In a generation or so, they will even be too uneducated to run their own business.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

14 hours ago, Meggo said:

Also - I was thinking about this with Kendra - so she was SUPER young when she got married (19). Hadn't been alone with a guy - ever - like - even in a car. Had never lived on her own, wasn't likely to have been able to stay anywhere by herself - hadn't likely been able to pick a book, movie, tv show on her own. And suddenly - she's married and she's living on her own, in her own house and she's living with a husband she has NEVER been alone with or had any alone conversations with. It's just so baffling to me. Are you prepared - at 19 - to take on a spouse and the quick arrival of little humans, in addition to having a house to manage? Or are you just trained at this from birth? 
It's so weird...

I was thinking of something similar the other day. I was with my husband for about 4 years before our first daughter was born. Now we have a newborn and a 2 year old and we are in the thick of parenting. There's no time or energy or anything resembling romance and I'm feeling very wistful for it all and sad that that stage of love is over. I know they bring in upon themselves, but I feel bad for these girls that they never even have a date and probably don't have time to properly fall in love with their husband before they become mothers and life changes forever.

• Upvote 12

29 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I was thinking of something similar the other day. I was with my husband for about 4 years before our first daughter was born. Now we have a newborn and a 2 year old and we are in the thick of parenting. There's no time or energy or anything resembling romance and I'm feeling very wistful for it all and sad that that stage of love is over. I know they bring in upon themselves, but I feel bad for these girls that they never even have a date and probably don't have time to properly fall in love with their husband before they become mothers and life changes forever.

I feel bad for them also. If their husband’s turn out to be jerks because I think in a few cases they barely know them, they can’t get away. 

• I Agree 7

Did anyone catch Jorydyn standing up in the back of a moving car! Walking back and forth because she needed the bathroom. That is madness.

I wonder if Joy not recognising the x as times is just from the way it was layed out on the card? I can see myself doing something similar and I love maths and have always been pretty good at it. 

Though I don't doubt their maths skills are dodgy at best. Where did she say she didn't need algebra?

• Upvote 3

It was during her graduation party. She sounded so sad and deflated about just staying home to watch babies. I wasn't surprised she announced a courtship soon after. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

There is a difference between literacy and the ability to do math.  And I say this as an accountant.  Some people just struggle with math.  Period.  Granted they've been short changed with the Duggar homeschool methodology. 

I struggled with math in 5th through 7th grade.  (and by the way, we moved & my parents divorced between 4th/5th grades so there was a school system change etc etc).  When we moved again between 7th and 8th and changed school systems again - I landed in the class of a fantastic math teacher.  My math skills improved and I went from a struggling with math to general math with good grades to testing into Algebra for my 9th grade year (and when they tried to put me in elementary algebra I was adamant that I tested into regular Algebra and made my mother fight to change my schedule because I was danged proud of that accomplishment.  And 9th grade Algebra teacher was the same woman I'd had the year before.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

There is a difference between literacy and the ability to do math.  And I say this as an accountant.  Some people just struggle with math.  Period.  Granted they've been short changed with the Duggar homeschool methodology. 

I struggled with math in 5th through 7th grade.  (and by the way, we moved & my parents divorced between 4th/5th grades so there was a school system change etc etc).  When we moved again between 7th and 8th and changed school systems again - I landed in the class of a fantastic math teacher.  My math skills improved and I went from a struggling with math to general math with good grades to testing into Algebra for my 9th grade year (and when they tried to put me in elementary algebra I was adamant that I tested into regular Algebra and made my mother fight to change my schedule because I was danged proud of that accomplishment.  And 9th grade Algebra teacher was the same woman I'd had the year before.

I am completely literate - with a university degree in English lit. I can do geometry. I could maybe dabble in beginners algebra. Beyond that? Please don't... it won't be pretty. I struggled with math (and any math related sciences - like chemistry) my entire life. My mom who is the math person - couldn't understand why her kid couldn't do math... 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I am completely literate - with a university degree in English lit. I can do geometry. I could maybe dabble in beginners algebra. Beyond that? Please don't... it won't be pretty. I struggled with math (and any math related sciences - like chemistry) my entire life. My mom who is the math person - couldn't understand why her kid couldn't do math... 

People who find math comes easily to them are the absolute worst teachers for that very reason. "WHY can't you see this- it's so easy!" I'm one of those people that math comes to easily, my son just the opposite. It was a battle! Finally found a patient tutor who got him thru a math class for graduation. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

21 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Not long ago, a math teacher and member of FJ explained that the reason that so many people have trouble with Math is because the people that teach Math do not realize that they need to communicate how numbers work in language, much like the proofs in Geometry. Many (I’d say most) people teaching Math are excellent with numbers and how they work, but few have the skill of Translating the workings of numbers via communication by using language and words. As an example, in the addition problem 2+2, a good teacher would explain with words and maybe pictures how if you have 2 objects and you get 2 more objects, you now have a number of objects which is larger than what you started with, and further you can determine the exact number of objects you now have by counting the objects. Instead, most teachers say 2+2=4. It seems many Math teachers do all the steps in their head, and are able to articulate in words, the exact steps to solving the problem.

When I heard this, from a Math teacher no less, I said to myself, “Bingo.” I also struggled in Math, and only Math. I was also quite good in Geometry, because for the most part, concepts were explained with words vs pure numbers.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic