IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

40 minutes ago, Smash! said:

Ohhh the Bontragers are VERY snarkworthy! If it's still online somewhere watch the wedding between Chelsy Bontrager and John Maxwell. That one was a snarkfest!

Unfortunately it’s long gone. 

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

Any tip on where to start? Is there a topic somewhere to start? 

Ready to dive in some new rabbit hole

Apart from what @JermajestyDuggar mentioned, the blogs of Allison Bontrager (https://www.fromallison.com/) and Joshua Bontrager (https://joshuabontrager.com/) are very good in a snarky way. Oh and here's the family blog https://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/?m=1 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Trace has posted a story with Charney Grace dressed up really nicely with flowers. I'm guessing courtship proposal but could be engagement I guess. The courtship stage seems like a formality because the Bates parents don't want to look even more hypocritical than they do already! 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, purplepeony said:

Trace has posted a story with Charney Grace dressed up really nicely with flowers. I'm guessing courtship proposal but could be engagement I guess. The courtship stage seems like a formality because the Bates parents don't want to look even more hypocritical than they do already! 

I thought it looked more like a wedding where Chaney was a bridesmaid.

But the cryptic ‘great ending to a great day’ makes me think you might be right.

edit: never mind, I was right ? if you check her story you see the bridal party. Looks like her sisters wedding.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

15 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I thought it looked more like a wedding where Chaney was a bridesmaid.

But the cryptic ‘great ending to a great day’ makes me think you might be right.

I think he would have tagged it with something like the location of the wedding/ names of people who got married rather than the date if it was a wedding. The flowers also looked more like a gift bouquet to me rather than bridesmaids flowers but it could have been a wedding I agree. Anyway, they do look like heart pieces are at risk of being lost whatever the occasion is, which is a big concern as how will they get those lost heart pieces back if they don't get married!

Edit: I was wrong it was a wedding! 

Edited by purplepeony
Being wrong!
  • Upvote 1

A picture with all the bridesmaids show a pretty dress, flowers, and wedding location. I can imagine Chaney would pic a similar style wedding. 

• Upvote 1

Travis made his insta public again, in his last post he mentions his visit to Tennessee. No mention to courtship or anything like that but you can see him next to Katie in all the photos.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Travis made his insta public again, in his last post he mentions his visit to Tennessee. No mention to courtship or anything like that but you can see him next to Katie in all the photos.

Yeah, it really seems like they are “getting to know” one another. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, llucie said:

He has such a baby face. It's hard to believe he and Katie could be married anytime in the next two years. He looks like a thirteen year old.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Does anyone know how fundie Travis's family is? Is his mom skirts only? The reality is most young, mainstream guys probably notice how quickly these Bates girls marry and give birth. I mean do the Bates actually know any regular, "normal" Christians?

• Upvote 3

Following on the Katie in a skirt on a roller coaster....

how to keep women down (a simple method) make them so dam uncomfortable from their clothing when they try to do things. Tori looks ridiculous here. 

Especially because she is married and has a “choice”. 

Carlin wore practical pants. 

4654DF1E-FD3E-4D51-9612-BAF9EFC01009.png

F49ED739-ED3C-4737-83AF-3063FF37E592.png

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

But does she? Her husband has a choice.

No idea if in reality it was her or Bobby that decided she was going to keep being skirts only (as far as we know) but... yeah, might not actually be a choice.

She does look like a muppet sat like that though.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, victoriasponge said:

No idea if in reality it was her or Bobby that decided she was going to keep being skirts only (as far as we know) but... yeah, might not actually be a choice.

It is easy to forget since so many of them jump right into pants, but the Bates daughters "choices" all are really things they are permitted to do by their husbands. If Alyssa's husband suddenly said skirts only I doubt she would launch a rebellion and leave. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Does anyone know how fundie Travis's family is? Is his mom skirts only? The reality is most young, mainstream guys probably notice how quickly these Bates girls marry and give birth. I mean do the Bates actually know any regular, "normal" Christians?

Similar to the Bateses. Mother and sister seem to be skirts only, at least i didnt see any photos wearing pants . His sister went to college, but it was a christian bible college in the same vein of the Crown college. She studied education and now works in a private christian elementary school. The same Tori planned to do before she become pregnant.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Following on the Katie in a skirt on a roller coaster....

how to keep women down (a simple method) make them so dam uncomfortable from their clothing when they try to do things. Tori looks ridiculous here. 

Carlin wore practical pants. 

4654DF1E-FD3E-4D51-9612-BAF9EFC01009.png

F49ED739-ED3C-4737-83AF-3063FF37E592.png

I totally agree about skirts keeping women down. I’ve always thought that was part of it. Especially the little girls who want to play with the boys. 

• Upvote 14

I think that of the married ladies- Tori, Jessa, and Lauren Duggar are making a choice to stay in skirts because I can't see their husband's caring about skirts only.

I don't think Michaela or Erin want to wear pants but I think their husband's may be more against it than Bobby or Ben (or Josiah).

Kendra and Joe just seem to do as trained so they've probably never even thought about it.

Anna and Lauren I can't see wearing pants because they seem to be the type who like to feel "better than" to me. I can't decide what I think about Josh's opinion of Anna wearing pants (if he'd be okay with it or not). It seems absurd for someone with his issues to be focusing on what someone else wears (well that seems absurd for anyone to be so focused on but we're talking about fundies so when in Rome).

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

I think that of the married ladies- Tori, Jessa, and Lauren Duggar are making a choice to stay in skirts because I can't see their husband's caring about skirts only.

I don't think Michaela or Erin want to wear pants but I think their husband's may be more against it than Bobby or Ben (or Josiah).

Kendra and Joe just seem to do as trained so they've probably never even thought about it.

Anna and Lauren I can't see wearing pants because they seem to be the type who like to feel "better than" to me. I can't decide what I think about Josh's opinion of Anna wearing pants (if he'd be okay with it or not). It seems absurd for someone with his issues to be focusing on what someone else wears (well that seems absurd for anyone to be so focused on but we're talking about fundies so when in Rome).

Any amount of choice these women have, is an illusion.  If they wanted to ware pants or be skirts only, they would still have to filter it through their husband.   

• Upvote 6

I just assumed Michael(a), Erin and Tori remain skirts only because they are the oldest, most devout and grew up with very little pop culture or outside influences than their younger sisters. Alyssa didn’t share a room with her sisters and Carlin’s personality probably also played into *some* independent vs. group thinking.

I can’t imagine Chad or Bobby saying no to Erin and Tori if they wanted to wear pants.  Erin and Tori both appear to have a lot of control (minus birth control) in their lives. 

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Charliemae said:

Any amount of choice these women have, is an illusion.  If they wanted to ware pants or be skirts only, they would still have to filter it through their husband.   

Exactly. Does anyone see these ladies rebelling and telling their husbands they won't submit and will do whatever the hell they want to do? There is no real choice in this lifestyle for women, they just get to find men who hopefully will allow them to make decisions but always knowing that that can also be taken away from them. 

The Bates really are an illusion. All the pants and normal behavior can lull people into forgetting how oppressive an environment it really is. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

I just assumed Michael(a), Erin and Tori remain skirts only because they are the oldest, most devout and grew up with very little pop culture or outside influences than their younger sisters. Alyssa didn’t share a room with her sisters and Carlin’s personality probably also played into *some* independent vs. group thinking.

I can’t imagine Chad or Bobby saying no to Erin and Tori if they wanted to wear pants.  Erin and Tori both appear to have a lot of control (minus birth control) in their lives. 

The problem isn't wither they would allow it or not.  The problem is that grown women have to ask their husbands about what they are allowed to wear at all.  

It's not helpful to try and assign them more autonomy than they themselves tell us they have. No matter how much control Erin may have in some areas of her life, nearly every man she has contact with believes he is superior to her in every way. 

I see this a lot in the Jrod threads too, because Jill is controlling.  But even if she's in control of her husband in some ways, every church they step foot into, every pastor they meet and have "sweet fellowship with"  looks down on her, because she's a woman.

Every single male these woman interact with regularly has moral superiority.  Erin only has control over the parts of her life that he men in her life allow. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I mean do the Bates actually know any regular, "normal" Christians?

I quoted so I could call "normal" Christians -- heathens! -- but now I'm wondering what the fundies really believe about so-called normal christians. Do they recognize they are christians at all? Do they think of them as half-heathens? Surely they don't see normal christians as equal to them or in the eyes of god, do they?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Charliemae said:

The problem isn't wither they would allow it or not.  The problem is that grown women have to ask their husbands about what they are allowed to wear at all.  

I agree, it’s a horrible misogynistic belief system. I wasn’t defending any of them, I was just speculating on why and who wears skirts.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

I quoted so I could call "normal" Christians -- heathens! -- but now I'm wondering what the fundies really believe about so-called normal christians. Do they recognize they are christians at all? Do they think of them as half-heathens? Surely they don't see normal christians as equal to them or in the eyes of god, do they?

If the "normal" Christians were Trump loving, gay hating, Confederate adoring evangelicals, who wear bikinis and go to public school? Yeah, I think the Bates would not have that huge of a problem with them. If they were people who homeschooled but happened to be liberal? I think the Bates would cut them off. Those people could spend their days helping the poor and needy and the Bates would view them as heathens while the gay haters were "good, godly" folks. 

• Upvote 7

I get the impression that all the Bates sons-in-law are supportive of their wives’ various changing convictions about clothing, but that it would only take one serious conversation about how “the lord placed it on my heart for us to pray together about your clothes” for the distressed jeans to go bye bye.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic