IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

I think people like Whit do more damage to the cult thinking of the younger kids compared to someone like Suze Keller. It’s easy to use her as a cautionary tale. But if you look at someone like Whit, who works in real estate and kissed Zach before marriage, you see that you can live a happy life without following every single rule the cult puts forth. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The courtship/engagement pressure on the guys does seem really distasteful coming from Kelly, particularly because HER OWN SONS are yet to want to take the leap into the responsibility that is marriage. I get that she wants them to, but they still haven't, which I think says a lot.

I find it interesting that the Bateseseses sons, with the exception of Zach have not taken the leap yet.   While I agree that Gil has the expectation that a potential son-in-law have the ability to support his daughter (as hypocritical as it is in Gil's case, it would be the responsible thing to do as a fundie father)  but it looks like that the same requirement for the sons-in-law is not happening with the sons.   The fact that none of them look ready to support a wife and family should be a point of concern for Kelly and Gil.  Maybe it is. 

9 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

There's no way Kelly's thrilled that her daughter-in-law now wears so much revealing clothes or got herself a job.

Honestly, I don't think Kelly was thrilled when some of her own daughters went straight to wearing pants once they left the house.  I know wearing pants doesn't mean a thing as far as actual beliefs but the fact that one wasted no time, like within days, in wearing different clothes and getting on the internet.  That says something.

Personally I thought Whit's "fundie phase" would be short lived.  I am not suprised she's back at work and wearing pants, short skirts, high heels, etc.   She may have gone along in order to be accepted and was genuine in her "skirts only" phase but it frankly got old for someone who didn't grow up that way.  And Zach didn't care, I still believe that the first failed courtship did more than just break his heart, he saw through the BS.  

• Upvote 19
  • Love 2

On 7/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, BeccaGrim said:

I just need to drop in to say I cannot believe how many professional photographs these people have. Josie has the professional photographer in the delivery room.  They have professional baby announcements with photographers.  Then the weddings. Every time I turn around they are posting pictures that are being taken by professional photographers.  I can't get my family to pose for ten minutes. 

I still don't uderstand why these folks feel they are worthy of all these pictures. Professional photographer in the delivery rom? Hell to the no. I suppose they can pay for all the pictures they want, but the appeal to others is puzzling. The second generation is 'famous' for being part of an unusually (freakish) number of offspring. They are nothing special, just fundie Kardashians like the Duggars. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/30/2019 at 9:20 AM, Seculardaisy said:

Katie’s possible boyfriend’s Instagram was private the day she posted that Instagram story and tagged him. I know because I clicked it to try and snoop, he made it briefly public afterward and clearly wasn’t a fan of it. Which I can’t blame him if he is at all a private person and suddenly is being inundated with Bates fan craziness.

Well, his instagram is public now.. if hes serious about his music, he should be usin the bates to get his name out ther.

Edited by Ms.Pickle
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Kelly just posted some info about homeschool. I’m glad that she realized Abeka sucks for science and history but I’m curious about what she uses for those subjects. 

040798AB-DE40-4F2A-B12B-11B8972D4D4A.jpeg

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Kelly just posted some info about homeschool. I’m glad that she realized Abeka sucks for science and history but I’m curious about what she uses for those subJects

The Bible, of course.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

The Bible, of course.

You could very easily be right, but that really irritates me. If I remember right, Kelly met Gil when she was his chemistry tutor. It really upsets me when the parents had college chemistry (the science class, at least, with Kelly probably having more high level science, based on the fact that she tutored Gil), yet they drastically limit the amount of real science their kids know, substitution fake fundy "science" for real science.

In a related thought, I wonder if the Bateses and the Duggars think that we really landed on the moon, or if they are in "The moon landing was faked" camp.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Oh my goodness. Did you guys notice the username of the woman who asked Kelly about her homeschool curriculum? I really hope it just means that she likes pearl earrings and necklaces, not child abusers Michael and Debbie. But with these people, I'm afraid the second option is more likely. :tw_rage:

• Upvote 6

Ocean City, New Jersey, huh? Wow, not to dox myself, but I was literally just there this past week. I can't imagine anyone from the Bates family having an enjoyable time there. Sure, it's dry, unlike Wildwood and Atlantic City, but still. "Defrauding" bathing suits aplenty, teenagers trying to have raves on the beach after sunset, crude t-shirts hanging out all the storefronts. It's my favorite place on earth, but I'm not a fundie lol so I find all of that stuff endearing. Then again, I did see a handful of Amish people on the boardwalk, so I guess anything is possible.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Ocean City, New Jersey, huh? Wow, not to dox myself, but I was literally just there this past week. I can't imagine anyone from the Bates family having an enjoyable time there. Sure, it's dry, unlike Wildwood and Atlantic City, but still. "Defrauding" bathing suits aplenty, teenagers trying to have raves on the beach after sunset, crude t-shirts hanging out all the storefronts. It's my favorite place on earth, but I'm not a fundie lol so I find all of that stuff endearing. Then again, I did see a handful of Amish people on the boardwalk, so I guess anything is possible.

Seriously. Born and raised in a (different) Jersey Shore beach town and the thought of any of the fundies we snark on spending time here is odd. Also, hate to think fundies of their variety are that close to me full time. We already have the exploding Hasidic and Orthodox Jewish populations, we have enough extreme religion here, thanks. Like literally, my parents' taxes are paying for double the school transportation fees because they don't allow the boys and girls to ride on the same school bus when they're going to Hebrew school... forget the impact on the environment ? Also, while I am no longer in that exact town, as a female doctor I feel a lot of it because the husbands will demand their wives see me the (college educated!! even thugh I won't allow my daughters to be educated) female, but then the men won't even shake my hand or make eye contact and they talk down to me the entire time.

Sorry, mini rant over. I hate religion, I am just kind to humans who are kind to me and they've been grinding my gears lately with that shit. Damn patriarchy. 

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 3

On 8/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, Audrey2 said:

You could very easily be right, but that really irritates me. If I remember right, Kelly met Gil when she was his chemistry tutor. It really upsets me when the parents had college chemistry (the science class, at least, with Kelly probably having more high level science, based on the fact that she tutored Gil), yet they drastically limit the amount of real science their kids know, substitution fake fundy "science" for real science.

In a related thought, I wonder if the Bateses and the Duggars think that we really landed on the moon, or if they are in "The moon landing was faked" camp.

She wasn't a tutor. A tutor at the college level is someone who has a degree in or at least completed the courses. As a human services major, she was unlikely to have even been required to take chemistry.

She had a work study job working in the school's chemistry lab. I have no science ability at all in chemistry or biology but had a similar position. Basically, I was assigned to remind people to sign-in on the computer and monitor that they were using the materials for assignments and not just stealing them or trying to blow things up. The most prestigious job was guarding the lab folders and handing assignments to students who asked for them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She wasn't a tutor. A tutor at the college level is someone who has a degree in or at least completed the courses. As a human services major, she was unlikely to have even been required to take chemistry.

She had a work study job working in the school's chemistry lab. I have no science ability at all in chemistry or biology but had a similar position. Basically, I was assigned to remind people to sign-in on the computer and monitor that they were using the materials for assignments and not just stealing them or trying to blow things up. The most prestigious job was guarding the lab folders and handing assignments to students who asked for them. 

I might be wrong but didn't Kelly graduate of a chemistry major or something like that? I might be confused about this.

18 hours ago, Casserole said:

Seriously. Born and raised in a (different) Jersey Shore beach town and the thought of any of the fundies we snark on spending time here is odd. Also, hate to think fundies of their variety are that close to me full time. We already have the exploding Hasidic and Orthodox Jewish populations, we have enough extreme religion here, thanks. Like literally, my parents' taxes are paying for double the school transportation fees because they don't allow the boys and girls to ride on the same school bus when they're going to Hebrew school... forget the impact on the environment ? Also, while I am no longer in that exact town, as a female doctor I feel a lot of it because the husbands will demand their wives see me the (college educated!! even thugh I won't allow my daughters to be educated) female, but then the men won't even shake my hand or make eye contact and they talk down to me the entire time.

Sorry, mini rant over. I hate religion, I am just kind to humans who are kind to me and they've been grinding my gears lately with that shit. Damn patriarchy. 

Ummmm one correction if I may, I'm Jewish and actually went to a very Jewish school here. A LOT of religious Jewish women have college degrees. We're a very matriarchal society. All their men do is pray and go to shul. The women are the ones in charge. Not mixing sexes isn't a clear sign that the women aren't educated. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

My husband worked as an Accounting tutor while completing his final year of undergrad. It wasn’t work study and it was an official part-time job through the School of Business. Maybe there’s a difference, but they were always referred to as tutors even though they were still students themselves.

ETA: This was at a public University in Connecticut back in 2008-2009. So maybe time and location matters?

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Ummmm one correction if I may, I'm Jewish and actually went to a very Jewish school here. A LOT of religious Jewish women have college degrees. We're a very matriarchal society. All their men do is pray and go to shul. The women are the ones in charge. Not mixing sexes isn't a clear sign that the women aren't educated. 

I'm not talking about your society, which I don't know, but lots of societies claim being a matriarchy because women are supposed to have power. If the big enonomy decisions are taken by men, the main white collar jobs are for men, the politic, religious and army bosses are mostly men, it's still a patriarchy. If women are expected to behave different than men, to be wifes and mothers, if homosexuality is seen as a sin or a problem, it's patriarchy no matter some women have careers or are the bosses at home.

• Upvote 5

On 8/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, Audrey2 said:

Most moon landing fakers tend to be of the anti-nationalist/libertarian ilk and I think the belief comes from a place of skepticism about American hegemony, so I doubt the Bateses and Duggars go along with that particular one. 

That's not to say they're super sharp. They just seem to be more the types to believe the U.S. single-handedly won both world wars and took down the Berlin Wall. 

• Upvote 8

I tutored a big name college quarterback in college.  I was taking many of the same classes he was.  But he missed so much class time, the university paid me to take notes for him and to go over all the class material and be available to help with assignments.  And yeah, they called it being a tutor.  I think the definition varies depending on school, location, and time period.  Gil and Kelly are closer in age to me than to current university students.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

Tutor and tutoring are often used colloquially and are not necessarily a specific position within a college or school, although colleges and schools can certainly have specific positions called tutor. Kelly could have helped Gil informally, thus she 'tutored' him.

• Upvote 8

I googled how Gil and Kelly Bates met, and this is what I found:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/bringing-up-bates-how-did-kelly-and-gil-bates-meet.html/

Kelly Jo attended Anderson College, where she met Gil Bates. According to a television interview, Gil was taken with Kelly right away, but she didn’t notice him. It was only once Gil needed science help, and Kelly as a lab assistant tutored him, that she began to notice him.

I think someone mentioned on here that the science class was a chemistry class.

I am guessing this was the Anderson College in South Carolina, which became a co-ed junior college in 1931, and wasn't a four year college until the 90's. The cheat sheet article also says they transferred to Carson-Neuman College together.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Correction taken and also clarification that I am only talking about the one Jewish community I interact with, which is mostly Hasidic. The women I've interacted with in this particular community do not seem to continue with their educations and get married and start on their 8-10 children very quickly. 

Out in the mainstream world in higher education, I've met plenty of Jewish women, many of whom were highly, highly educated and bright. I did not mean all Jewish people, just fundies, and I apologize if it came across that way. 

Edited by Casserole
  • Upvote 7

On 8/4/2019 at 2:37 PM, Casserole said:

Oh, I lived in that town for a year, 2006ish. It took some getting used to, not making eye contact with the men, not even speaking most times, at the grocery store, etc. It seemed like they were all rabbis and their wives supported them plus had the many children. Their parents in NY were on quite a different path.

The baseball team was fun. 

13 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I might be wrong but didn't Kelly graduate of a chemistry major or something like that? I might be confused about this.

She has said she earned a degree in human services with a minor in special education. Carson Newman basically describes this as a program for those who like people and want to give back. At many schools like CN, you'll find people who want to major in nursing or something similar choosing Human Services while they wait for acceptance to a more competitive program. When I worked in higher education, you would find that there were lots of HS majors but few graduated with it because they eventually got into the other programs. 

I would be very surprised if she took difficult math or science classes, as he doesn't strike me as the type to take harder classes that she didn't need just because they sounded fun. Granted, the core curriculum at Anderson and Carson don't sound that taxing. 

Maybe they (the Bates) referred to it as tutoring, but under the SACS umbrella for accreditation, tutors are upperclassmen and graduate students who have completed classes with an A and have been hired to teach one on one or in a very small group of less than five based on the professor(s) syllabus. Schools such as Anderson typically hire graduates as tutors within the labs while undergraduates have more menial tasks. That said, it is possible that they have spun the story that he asked her a question and she answered it, thus becoming his "tutor."

Either way, I am not seeing her as having some great scientific mind or experience. She seemed to have some aptitude for it based on what they showed of her visiting her old high school, but I have my doubts. If she did waste such skills and knowledge to go all fundy for some guy like Gil Bates, I am highly disappointed both in and for her. 

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic