IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

5 hours ago, mstee said:

Check out the comment ?

Hide contents

90996132-20DE-4D89-9F50-C5D9F729C68E.thumb.jpeg.b93234f88c2861fcd9687dafbd39c171.jpeg

Oh please for the love of little baby Jesus, I hope the poster comments again with the "corrected" grammar of "Why did you have" and a bible verse about lying.

• Haha 6
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Thorns said:

Oh please for the love of little baby Jesus, I hope the poster comments again with the "corrected" grammar of "Why did you have" and a bible verse about lying.

She would probably just ignore it, or say the room was not about the kkk but about the confederacy only and they had no idea that the man they had a framed picture of was in the kkk. I dont believe it for one second, maybe the children are ignorant people due to poor homeschooling, but Kelly and Gil are not, they knew exactly who he was.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, mstee said:

Check out the comment ?

Hide contents

90996132-20DE-4D89-9F50-C5D9F729C68E.thumb.jpeg.b93234f88c2861fcd9687dafbd39c171.jpeg

We have always been at war with Eastasia. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Casserole said:

Correction taken and also clarification that I am only talking about the one Jewish community I interact with, which is mostly Hasidic. The women I've interacted with in this particular community do not seem to continue with their educations and get married and start on their 8-10 children very quickly. 

Out in the mainstream world in higher education, I've met plenty of Jewish women, many of whom were highly, highly educated and bright. I did not mean all Jewish people, just fundies, and I apologize if it came across that way. 

I'm sorry I took it the wrong way. I definitely read your comment wrong. Most fundies in any religion oppress their women. The ultra hasidics don't look at us as Jews and we absolutely think they're off their rocker. 

• Upvote 3

Trust me. Every southerner knows who Nathan Bedford Forrest is. Kelly can't claim ignorance without lying.

• Upvote 15

5 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Trust me. Every southerner knows who Nathan Bedford Forrest is. Kelly can't claim ignorance without lying.

Oh, she is. You don't live in the in the south and have 2 African-American sisters and not know who that man is. She knew exactly who he was and that's why she tried to claim it was a "Patriot's Room" when people noticed the pictures she posted and pointed out they were all Confederates. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I know we all agree to “leave the kids out of it” (FJ guidelines), but I feel that this has more to do with Kelly than anyone else. 

On Evan’s Instagram story, there’s two videos of him and Warden. Warden is wearing a tank with the armholes slit all the way down to the hem. On one hand I’m glad he can wear whatever he wants to keep cool in the summer, but it makes me mad about Kelly’s double standards for modesty. I know she’s very strict about requiring the girls who are still at home to wear modest skirts and dresses, but she gives her sons who are still at home more freedom in terms of the way they dress. I know this is nothing new (and we’ve had similar conversations before like when she posted a picture of Nathan in a wet/muddy T-shirt), but it still is a product of their fundie beliefs toward women and girls. Anyway, I just thought it was worth noting here, and I was surprised that no one was discussing it (yet).

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

I know we all agree to “leave the kids out of it” (FJ guidelines), but I feel that this has more to do with Kelly than anyone else. 

On Evan’s Instagram story, there’s two videos of him and Warden. Warden is wearing a tank with the armholes slit all the way down to the hem. On one hand I’m glad he can wear whatever he wants to keep cool in the summer, but it makes me mad about Kelly’s double standards for modesty. I know she’s very strict about requiring the girls who are still at home to wear modest skirts and dresses, but she gives her sons who are still at home more freedom in terms of the way they dress. I know this is nothing new (and we’ve had similar conversations before like when she posted a picture of Nathan in a wet/muddy T-shirt), but it still is a product of their fundie beliefs toward women and girls. Anyway, I just thought it was worth noting here, and I was surprised that no one was discussing it (yet).

Posted about it in the Carlin thread with the pictures. Kelly is a hypocrite. 

• Upvote 7

On 8/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, RosyDaisy said:

I'm not even American and I know who he is (thanks, Forrest Gump!).

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sar4186 said:

I’m 33 and have lived in the south all of my life and have no idea who he is ??‍♀️

It is possible to live in the South and not know he was a big KKK leader, but I would think that if someone made a whole display for his picture they would know who he was. The Bates are shallow, but they aren't that shallow.  Gil and Kelly knew, but they lie when it is convenient. Like the Gothard birthday cake that suddenly became a groom's cake. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

On 8/6/2019 at 9:47 AM, OyToTheVey said:

Most fundies in any religion oppress their women. The ultra hasidics don't look at us as Jews and we absolutely think they're off their rocker. 

Thread drifting a bit---

Is there a section of FJ that is about hasidic Judaism?  I did a search and found an archived topic, but didn't really see anything active.  For some reason, it has always interested me (in the same way that Christian fundamentalism has.)  I've read a few fictional books about it---that and Ultra Orthodoxy, but would like to learn more.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

6 hours ago, Sar4186 said:

I’m 33 and have lived in the south all of my life and have no idea who he is ??‍♀️

But would you hang a framed portrait of him without knowledge of him?

• Upvote 14

17 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Thread drifting a bit---

Is there a section of FJ that is about hasidic Judaism?  I did a search and found an archived topic, but didn't really see anything active.  For some reason, it has always interested me (in the same way that Christian fundamentalism has.)  I've read a few fictional books about it---that and Ultra Orthodoxy, but would like to learn more.

I'm not sure. But the Ultra Orthodox and the really Hasidic Jews are just as bad as Fundies. Although I will say going to a Jewish school, a lot of those girls just get really good at hiding. I've had extensive conversations with them about Pretty Little Liars(when it was popular) and just random celebrity gossip. They watch all the shows just don't tell the rabbi lol 

Also, there's ways around all the shabbos rules. Like if you have a Christian neighbor and you kinda mention lights on a Friday night, that's ok because you're not actually asking them to turn your lights on and off. The self timing light bulbs are also a great invention. Self timing ovens too. As long as you don't ask someone to break the shabbos fast, everything else is ok. Kinda like the whole Mormon diet soda thing people were talking about. As long as no one knows, you can have that cup of coffee. I have a lot of friends that keep their kitchens kosher but eat shrimp at restaurants. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I have a lot of friends that keep their kitchens kosher but eat shrimp at restaurants.

I'm pretty sure that a Jewish person eating shrimp isn't a Hasid.

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

But the Ultra Orthodox and the really Hasidic Jews are just as bad as Fundies.

I disagree.  There are similarities and differences.  No evangelism, except to other Jewish people, for example.  I've seen some pretty peculiar stuff (depending on the sect of Hasidism), and am not a fan, but I've also seen them volunteering to cheer people up and provide free kosher meals to Jewish patients in hospitals.  I was once offered kosher meals when I was visiting a family member in the hospital.  I've also needed to ask questions in a Hasidic community and was completely stonewalled...until I found someone who wasn't a Hasid.  Many - OK most - of them are really insular and I certainly don't look the part.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

No evangelism, except to other Jewish people, for example.

That's because we don't believe in converting people. Even after conversion, most don't actually believe that person is Jewish. They've been instances where babies adopted didn't get approval from rabbis to be Jewish. Also if dad is Jewish mom isn't, then that child isn't considered Jewish. Linage is maternal. As you said very insular.

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

That's because we don't believe in converting people.

Right...which I was using for an example (IMO) of the Hasids not being as bad as most of the other fundies we discuss here.  At least they more or less mind their own business.  They aren't trying to impose their beliefs on people of other religions. 

OTOH, as I mentioned above, I've stepped into their territory and things got strange quickly.  I didn't approach any of the men, of course, but even the women wouldn't - or couldn't (not enough English?) - help me.  If I spoke/understood enough Yiddish to be useful though, even while wearing jeans, then I suspect I would have done better.

17 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Right...which I was using for an example (IMO) of the Hasids not being as bad as most of the other fundies we discuss here.  At least they more or less mind their own business.  They aren't trying to impose their beliefs on people of other religions. 

OTOH, as I mentioned above, I've stepped into their territory and things got strange quickly.  I didn't approach any of the men, of course, but even the women wouldn't - or couldn't (not enough English?) - help me.  If I spoke/understood enough Yiddish to be useful though, even while wearing jeans, then I suspect I would have done better.

I agree they don't seem as bad as Evangelicals that try to shove religion at anyone and everyone. I always forget the name but there's a sect upstate NY that is completely closed off. It's like the Jewish version of FLDS in Utah. No phones, no tvs, no books, nothing from the 'outside'. It's really hardcore up there.

Nah, I understand Yiddish (grandparents spoke it) they still won't really talk to me. Don't take it personal, they just don't really talk to outsiders. I work in a store, in a mostly Hasidic area, they almost never come in here because we're open on Saturdays. And when they do I tend to kinda drop change into the mens hands and only the young girls are talkative. The young boys do come in on Fridays to hand out shabbos candles. But I will say that as insular as they are, they're one of the first to help. They have their own EMT company and their ambulances are always super fast and for everyone. They are the first to hand out water during certain circumstances. 

PS: I do think because I've been so immersed in it since I was little that I don't even notice things anymore. This whole discussion has gotten me thinking. 

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

17 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I disagree.  There are similarities and differences.  No evangelism, except to other Jewish people, for example. 

They may not be as bad as some of the fundies we talk about here, but they are fundie. The definition of a fundamentalist is "a person who believes in strict, literal interpretation of scripture in religion." While your personal definition may include evangelizing, they fit the actual definition to a T. 

I do care about their beliefs when it comes to voting any of my potential rights away. During the last election, the Hasidic community in Rockland shared that they do whatever the kehilla decides and do one bloc vote. Surprisingly this bloc vote went to Hillary so it worked out, but it's a highly religious community of 15,000 people who will blindly do and vote for whoever they are told; that has the potential to be very dangerous, and while it wasn't this time around, it's still something I keep an eye on. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

17 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

That's because we don't believe in converting people. Even after conversion, most don't actually believe that person is Jewish. They've been instances where babies adopted didn't get approval from rabbis to be Jewish. Also if dad is Jewish mom isn't, then that child isn't considered Jewish. Linage is maternal. As you said very insular.

Except Reform Judaism does accept Judaism through the father, see the Resolution on Patrilineal Descent adopted by the Central Conference of American Rabbis in 1983.

Also I've always distinguished between Judaism and Jewishness, the religion vs the culture, and the existness of secular Jews. Which is basically my family, who were Soviet Jews who were not allowed to practice the religion but were nonetheless persecuted for it. My dad's Soviet birth certificate listed his nationality as "Jewish" while my mom's was "Russian". But the US accepted us and thousands of other Soviet Jews as refugees, at which point we came here and learned that our Christmas/New Year's trees and love of seafood were verboten by "real" Jews. 

Chabad loves us, we're the ones they focus on prosletyzing to to make "better" Jews. But in those situations I like to conveniently mention my mother is Russian Orthodox Christian and they leave me right alone!

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Casserole said:

They may not be as bad as some of the fundies we talk about here, but they are fundie. The definition of a fundamentalist is "a person who believes in strict, literal interpretation of scripture in religion." While your personal definition may include evangelizing, they fit the actual definition to a T. 

I do care about their beliefs when it comes to voting any of my potential rights away.

I agree - fundie, but not as bad as some we talk about here.  I feel the same way about the voting issue.

7 hours ago, freethemall said:

Chabad loves us, we're the ones they focus on prosletyzing to to make "better" Jews. But in those situations I like to conveniently mention my mother is Russian Orthodox Christian and they leave me right alone!

I'm sure they do.  Probably the last thing they want is to encourage someone they consider to not be Jewish to be a "better" Jew.

I've had dealings with them over the years and remain ambivalent.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, freethemall said:

Except Reform Judaism does accept Judaism through the father, see the Resolution on Patrilineal Descent adopted by the Central Conference of American Rabbis in 1983.

Also I've always distinguished between Judaism and Jewishness, the religion vs the culture, and the existness of secular Jews. Which is basically my family, who were Soviet Jews who were not allowed to practice the religion but were nonetheless persecuted for it. My dad's Soviet birth certificate listed his nationality as "Jewish" while my mom's was "Russian". But the US accepted us and thousands of other Soviet Jews as refugees, at which point we came here and learned that our Christmas/New Year's trees and love of seafood were verboten by "real" Jews. 

I do believe it depends on the family and traditions. My Soviet Jewish family doesn't think half of us are Jewish because a lot of my cousins have Russian Orthodox moms. I have no problem with dad being Jewish. I will admit tho it's also kinda not something I think about all the time. All 4 of my grandparents were Jewish. I have family in Israel that were accepted as refugees because my uncles were Jewish. My immediate family were refugees in the US. My family is mixed. Half of us are Azkenazi, some are Sephardi, some are Russian Orthodox. But I guess with the change of times they would be considered Ukrainian Orthodox now. 

BTW I was a snegurachka in daycare in Russia. Fucking cute as shit lol I should find those pictures. Haven't seen them in years. 

I hate to admit it but when they prosletyze to me I tell them I'm not. Yesterday at the grocery store, all I wanted was food not shabbos candles. Plus it's really awkward, I was wearing a see thru t shirt and shorts. It makes me uncomfortable standing next to me.

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic