IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

On 1/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, Maggie Mae said:

https://www.skhoop.us/ is where most people in my area get them from.

They are ridiculously popular in my area. Some other brands jumped on board.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-corbet-120-skirt-sw0sp246

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-smartloft-60-skirt-sw019266?variationId=B48

Canada Goose had one for a bit but I can't find it on their website.

Costco has a shitty one that sheds feathers and is super thin, too long, and useless.

Yep, I see them all winter. They’re not my stride, but I get it. Add an extra layer of warmth that goes on easily right over your jeans and boots. 

• Upvote 1

@Maggie Mae

SmartWool isn't a socially acceptable brand?

Those are my most favoritest socks. And expensive. I just bought a few new discounted pairs at Nordstrom Rack and may have yelped with glee. I have to go back for a return and am hitting a different store, in the hopes of finding more socks ?

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Maggie Mae

Those are my most favoritest socks. And expensive. I just bought a few new discounted pairs at Nordstrom Rack and may have yelped with glee. I have to go back for a return and am hitting a different store, in the hopes of finding more socks ?

I used to be all SmartWool socks but they only lasted 2-3 years for me before wearing out. Then I switched to Darn Tough, which are made in the US and have a lifetime warranty (and a similar price point to SmartWool).  More than 7 years in only one pair is starting to show wear, and I'm looking forward to exchanging it for my free new pair soon! 

ETA: I still love SmartWool for my long underwear, though, although that doesn't last as long as I'd like either (4 years or so for bottoms). 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I used to be all SmartWool socks but they only lasted 2-3 years for me before wearing out. Then I switched to Darn Tough, which are made in the US and have a lifetime warranty (and a similar price point to SmartWool).  More than 7 years in only one pair is starting to show wear, and I'm looking forward to exchanging it for my free new pair soon! 

ETA: I still love SmartWool for my long underwear, though, although that doesn't last as long as I'd like either (4 years or so for bottoms). 

Socks with a lifetime warranty!

I'm going to have to investigate.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I was going to say basically this same thing! I also love Farm to Feet.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:31 AM, AliceInFundyland said:

@Maggie Mae

For the "snow skirts" locals around here seem to want "the real thing" even if they think Smartwool/Mountain Hardwear's are cuter. I don't get it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I've been scouting socks all day. I'm convinced. I know where to look in Portland and I'm likely going to get a sale pair or two from the web.

It's like Jansport. My backpack is a rather boring navy blue model. At some point mid high school my father became frustrated with constant replacement of backpacks. I've had that one ever since. Sure enough, you send it to them, they'll fix it up.

I have done it twice now. Zipper repairs. And it's due for another.

It's my workhorse.

• Upvote 4

Fun fact! Jansport is owned by the same corporation that owns smartwool! (They also own North Face, Eastpak, vans, Timberland, and a few other things I can't remember. AFAIK, NF also has life time guarantee on their backpacks. 

• Upvote 7

26 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Fun fact! Jansport is owned by the same corporation that owns smartwool! (They also own North Face, Eastpak, vans, Timberland, and a few other things I can't remember. AFAIK, NF also has life time guarantee on their backpacks. 

My company has these incredible NF backpacks but they are only for the sales team.  First time I've ever been jealous of another department.

and Vans are my favorite shoes...for everyone who was wondering.   

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My company has these incredible NF backpacks but they are only for the sales team.  First time I've ever been jealous of another department.

and Vans are my favorite shoes...for everyone who was wondering.   

I think there's an REI near LIncoln Park if you want to go buy your own shiny NF back pack. They USED to have a "we'll take anything back" policy but they decided that they were losing money by taking back hiking books from the 70s and changed it to just one year. For pretty much any reason under the sun. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think there's an REI near LIncoln Park if you want to go buy your own shiny NF back pack. They USED to have a "we'll take anything back" policy but they decided that they were losing money by taking back hiking books from the 70s and changed it to just one year. For pretty much any reason under the sun. 

LL Bean does this too. 

• Upvote 2

I keep on getting ads for a Nordace backback (Siena) and it looks really convenient.

Does anyone have experience with it? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

LL Bean does this too. 

Yes. I love LL Bean backpacks! Mine has been through hell and back- long hikes, multiple flights, and still looks as good as new. It's almost 10 years old!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

VF Corporation - they also own Vanity Fair lingerie, Lee Jeans and Wranglers.  (my mom worked for Lee - ergo immediate recognition)

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, clueliss said:

VF Corporation - they also own Vanity Fair lingerie, Lee Jeans and Wranglers.  (my mom worked for Lee - ergo immediate recognition)

I work a few hours a week at a local outdoor boutique and at some point I started to notice that BoJack Horseman was right - in a few years there will be like 6 corporations. Even in the "outdoor" industry. It's this illusion of choice - plus they all steal designs and technologies from each other. Maybe this is something that everyone has known for ever and i'm stupid for being concerned. ?‍♂️ It's frustrating for the consumer, it's irritating for retailers, and the corporation/shareholders make money. Anyone who isn't a standard size is left out in pursuit of shareholder "value." I could go on and on about capitalism.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2020 at 6:52 AM, SorenaJ said:

Does anyone know where Ellie's middle name Bridget is from? I had a look to see if it was any of Kelly's relatives, but I couldn't find one called Bridget. Bridget seems like a very Catholic name to me, so I thought it was interesting that (presumably, Idk, the Duggars are) anti-Catholic parents would give their daughter such a Catholic name, but maybe it's from a relative. 

They named her Ellie Bridget because the name, according to them, means "strong light".  

A quick Google search revealed that Bridget does mean "strong" and the name "Eleanor", the formal name for "Ellie" does mean "shining light" (depending where you look; other sites state Eleanor means "other" and "foreign").     

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic