IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

Most fundies are against formal education or training.

It's funny how the Bates don't seem to push their sons towards education but they did seem to be the driving force behind Evan doing trade school. The Bates women do seem to appreciate Education but we'll see if they encourage their sons to do the same... Who knows? I can see Whitney and Zach encouraging all of their kids to get higher education but I don't know if the others will do the same.

Nathan seems to be the most fundie Bates, I've a feeling the relationship with Ashley ended up because she didn't conform to his standards. He wants the Kendra Caldwell type of wife. He's also really preachy and arrogant just like Gil, not surprised if he looks down on men who get proper education.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

To be fair, Kelly did try to get Nathan and Trace to go to Crown. Zach attended a bit of college prior to marriage. 

Yes, she tried. If she was a better teacher for her daugthers than for her sons or the boys are naturally non-student type, I don't know. But out of 7 girls, 6 (all minus Alyssa) have some kind of degree or diploma, while none of the 4 oldest boys has. And Alyssa worked in a shop and cleaning, so she showed an effort. Is Nathan allowed to do commercial flights, so he can earn a salary? Or is the pilot thing just a hobbie? Only Zach seems to have a real job.

It seems that the boys were enslaved when they were teenagers and nowadays they have become lazy. But I can be wrong, maybe they are still working with the trees or whatever they do.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yes, she tried. If she was a better teacher for her daugthers than for her sons or the boys are naturally non-student type, I don't know. But out of 7 girls, 6 (all minus Alyssa) have some kind of degree or diploma, while none of the 4 oldest boys has. And Alyssa worked in a shop and cleaning, so she showed an effort. Is Nathan allowed to do commercial flights, so he can earn a salary? Or is the pilot thing just a hobbie? Only Zach seems to have a real job.

It seems that the boys were enslaved when they were teenagers and nowadays they have become lazy. But I can be wrong, maybe they are still working with the trees or whatever they do.

We have to realize that the boys had limited options where the girls were pretty much left with get married, go to Crown, or stay home and do the grunt work. In the episode where she talks to Trace about college, she tells him that he can send out resumes for a job, work for the tree business, or go to Crown (with her Gil paying for the first semester). While the girls have been allowed to have little jobs (working a flower shop, teaching music lessons, babysitting, etc.), the ultimate goal has always been to find a husband start having kids. Look at the message on the family Instagram for Callie. Gil talks about how she is going to make a good mommy. There is no mention of options for her, career paths, hobbies, etc. 

Now there has been no visible push to have any of the grown children move toward gainful employment or independence other than the boys before courtship and marriage. Even the boys acknowledge that Crown is essentially a good place to meet a possible wife. However, there is something disingenuous about the family's support of Lawson's "singing career" when there are other children (girls) in the family with as much if not more talent who are not permitted that freedom. Erin might have enjoyed performing and using her talents/skills before marriage left her to do vanity CD projects every year or so with no label and really no promotion. Carlin is a good enough singer (to some) to perform with Lawson, but was it an option for her to perform solo if she wanted? One also has to wonder how much of the "exploration" these older boys would be doing if they were having to pay for a place to live and not bringing in any money from UP at all. 

Zach (during a talking head) spoke about how Papa Bill encouraged Gil to learn a trade as well as go to school for higher education. Gil didn't. He seems to be pushing that now with the idea that his sons should learn something practical. Granted his idea of learning a trade is a bit like Jim Bob..."go watch someone from church who does X and then we can say you know how to do X."

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Kelsey said:

To be fair, Kelly did try to get Nathan and Trace to go to Crown. Zach attended a bit of college prior to marriage. 

Trace did attend Crown, but he did an usseless bible program.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

Is Nathan allowed to do commercial flights, so he can earn a salary? Or is the pilot thing just a hobbie?  Only Zach seems to have a real job.

Yes he can, he can also teach. He did work at least for a while as a pilot teacher in Texas, they did mention this when asked where he was last year. I would consider that a real job. But he seems to gravitate towards not paying jobs as a missionary. Thats fine while he is single but i do think he would need to find something more steady to marry like Zach did. Trace did give up his dreams at the Dixie Stampede and started to work in construction now that he is courting, i dont think its a coincidence.

Edited by llucie
edit: i am sorry for the double post i thought they would merge.
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Is Katie bates dating some Travis clark ? Just saw her story and she’s tagged him 

Yup for like 2 months now I think. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, llucie said:

He did work at least for a while as a pilot teacher in Texas,

Was he teaching at ALERT? 

On 9/5/2019 at 12:36 PM, squiddysquid said:

People are already teasing him about the airpod again, bless them :D

Lawson is so full of himself, even those inexperienced fundie maidens see through his bullshit...

sde.JPG.151fbc5f216ca7d7c952dc1584e9edd0.JPG

airpod.JPG

Maybe he lost the second air pod and is trying to make do? Lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Is Katie bates dating some Travis clark ? Just saw her story and she’s tagged him 

Yes. My opinion is that she won’t wait around for 4 years to get married after he finishes college. My predictions: 1) he will drop out and they will get married 2) or they will break it off before he graduates. I just don’t see them waiting that long. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes. My opinion is that she won’t wait around for 4 years to get married after he finishes college. My predictions: 1) he will drop out and they will get married 2) or they will break it off before he graduates. I just don’t see them waiting that long. 

They could also marry while he is in college. He would have to work and go to school. 

I wonder if they didn’t let Katie go to school for nursing because of how long it would take, causing her to prolong babies. 

Edited by Lgirlrocks
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Lgirlrocks said:

They could also marry while he is in college. He would have to work and go to school. 

Definitely a possibility. Ben Seewald is doing that and he already has 3 kids. 

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

But he married a Duggar. Gil Bates doesn’t seem the type to support a son in law.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But he married a Duggar. Gil Bates doesn’t seem the type to support a son in law.

Oh I agree. Just meant that he could work and finish school while being married. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

And in this case Katie could work too since she is about to graduate as an hairstylist. 

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Oh I agree. Just meant that he could work and finish school while being married. 

But Carlin just got pregnant on her honeymoon! I bet Gil will keep that in mind. I think he made Carlin wait longer than the other girls to get married (well besides Michael but that was Brandon’s idea) because he didn’t think she was ready. I really doubt Gil would allow a couple of 20 year olds to get married while he’s still in college knowing that they could have a baby to feed in 9 months. He lets the girls marry young if the fiancé is older and out of college. I don’t think he has let any of his daughters marry when their fiancé is still in college. 

• Upvote 4

Travis's family seem like they're not hurting for money.  If his parents are willing to help support him and Katie and any blessings while he's in college, I'm sure Gil would allow that.  But I expect Travis would also work part time. The college he's going to only has classes in the morning so students can work afternoons and evenings. 

• Upvote 4

I'm not sure how much Katie could work until Addallee and Ellie are fully trained to do a grown woman's job all day and all evening and all night long. I realize Michaela and Jana both did so at a young age, but the littles seem slower to develop into grown-woman work (thankfully.) Also... Ben works? Did he or Jessa mention it in passing or is there proof? Not that they owe us any proof... but they want our viewership and "follows" on social media.

• Upvote 5

On 9/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, Melissa1977 said:

This is an interesting point.  When I was teaching (I'm taking a break to be a SAHM for a while) we talked a lot about the gap in college attendance between men and women.  (see here: https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=98) One theory that was floating around was that some boys and men had internalized some aspect of toxic masculinity that tells them studying, reading, etc is "for girls." Since this family has so fully embraced toxic masculinity, I wonder if that is what is going on here.

• Upvote 8

On 9/12/2019 at 1:09 PM, ModestisHottest said:

This is an interesting point.  When I was teaching (I'm taking a break to be a SAHM for a while) we talked a lot about the gap in college attendance between men and women.  (see here: https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=98) One theory that was floating around was that some boys and men had internalized some aspect of toxic masculinity that tells them studying, reading, etc is "for girls." Since this family has so fully embraced toxic masculinity, I wonder if that is what is going on here.

Not just some males. I know women who have masters degrees that don’t/didn’t want their sons going to college because men work with their hands. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5

On 9/12/2019 at 7:28 PM, Bobology said:

I'm not sure how much Katie could work until Addallee and Ellie are fully trained to do a grown woman's job all day and all evening and all night long. I realize Michaela and Jana both did so at a young age, but the littles seem slower to develop into grown-woman work (thankfully.)

Not necessary. It's pretty clear that nobody is (really) cooking in that home and they don't mind having the house dirty (Josie said so). As long as Jeb and Judson are able to make themselves a sandwich and take a shower, daugtherslaves are needed no more. Ellie and Addie can clean a toilet or make laundry, but they are teenagers now, and although it's not fair that they are the only cleaning staff at home, it can't be compared to the amount of chores Michaela had.

I think Katie will marry soon in order to leave the messy nightmare that house is. All the sisters she is close to are married. I'm sure she also wants to have her own home and *freedom*.and be like them. It would be great if she would rebel and go to a real college to pursue the nursing career she wants to. But let's be realistic, a wedding and a honeymoon baby is more probable.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Just some random thinking but do you think the Bates and Duggar girls (or fundies in general) try to plan their wedding around ovulation in order to increase the chance they get pregnant sooner? We know you’re most fertile one week each month, it just amazes me how frequently these fundies get pregnant on their honeymoon.

I know we will never actually have an answer to this just random musing.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic