IGNORED

Seriously Steve 2: She Was a Woman, So She Probably F*cked Up Somewhere

HerNameIsBuffy

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Black Aliss, the wild blackberries would have been enough for our English shepherd, Sandy.  She loved to go blackberry picking with us and, yep, she ate the blackberries she's pick off the bramble.  

So did my previous dog. She would sniff out the ripe blackberries closest to the ground and eat them. Likewise my strawberries. She'd get all the ripe ones while she was on her morning backyard romp. Current dog is not that much of a forager but she does like finding fresh fruit in her food bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

On 7/31/2020 at 12:59 AM, lilith said:

Wtf does Goats For Hire mean? And “it will be a sad day when they’re caught and locked up”? Is Steve rooting for the escapees? What an utterly bizarre piece of writing. 

I read the article too and until a poster clarified the escapees were actual goats, I honestly thought we were in Bizarro World; that Steve was 180ing on us and rooting for real human prisoners to escape, if only in the name of social justice.  

Or he somehow secretly watched the 1985 film classic "The Legend of Billie Jean".

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 8:42 AM, Flossie said:

The man's not right in the head.

"Goats for hire" likely is a reference to a niche business where the owner of goats will rent them out to property owners who want a more earth-friendly way to clear overgrown property.  We have at least one of those herds in our area.  The owner of the goats puts up a barrier to keep the goats from wandering away and puts a group of goats in there.  Water is supplied if it's not available from a pond or screen.  The goats will eat almost anything, weeds, brambles, small bushes, etc.  In return they poop all over which breaks down into fertilizer over time.  The goats are usually removed in the evening and either put back the next day, or if they've done a good job of clearing that area, the fences are moved to a new location and the goats have more eating to do.

I want to do this SO badly, but I want to go even more hipster and niche by having other ruminants for rent as well. Camels? Sure!

This would be in the part of Washington where Anna Marie is from and I think it would go over well.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/14/2020 at 8:05 AM, Joe Pukepail said:

I want to do this SO badly, but I want to go even more hipster and niche by having other ruminants for rent as well. Camels? Sure!

This would be in the part of Washington where Anna Marie is from and I think it would go over well.

If you use camels I will be your first customer! I learned that llamas and Alpacas do not work as well as sheep and goats for vegetation control because their metabolisms have evolved to let them survive on very little food. Young Boer goats are the best. They eat like teenage boys, and when vegetation management season is over there's a huge market for them as pasture-raised meat animals.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Back to the TV discussion which I'm sadly late for, a big weakness of Steve's argument comes when you apply it to anything else.  You shouldn't let your kids learn to read because there's so many bad books out there!  Actually given all the evil words they might hear you better not let then know how to understand words at all!  And given much of the content on the internet I'm *shocked* Steve would ever use it.  Unless... he uses some sort of discernment to find things he classifies as 'good' on the internet?  If only that worked for TV too!

Plus he's seriously behind the times since we don't need a TV to watch TV :P 

• Upvote 15

It reminds me of the section of the Duggars’ first book where JimBob talked about the brief period they had cable, then got rid of it because(paraphrasing)”We decided that we didn’t want to accept the bad just to enjoy some good.”

Well, you do have the choice to NOT WATCH IT...

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

On 8/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, CyborgKin said:

Back to the TV discussion which I'm sadly late for, a big weakness of Steve's argument comes when you apply it to anything else.  You shouldn't let your kids learn to read because there's so many bad books out there!  Actually given all the evil words they might hear you better not let then know how to understand words at all!  And given much of the content on the internet I'm *shocked* Steve would ever use it.  Unless... he uses some sort of discernment to find things he classifies as 'good' on the internet?  If only that worked for TV too!

Plus he's seriously behind the times since we don't need a TV to watch TV :P 

They do have some kind of Net Nanny on their home computer system and I believe only Teri has the password. Apparently they are unaware that they could program the V-chip in a TV to only allow the good stuff through.

Obligatory off-topic: I know someone who got so tired of Fox News blasting on all the TV sets at his fitness center that he asked if he could change the channel.  The person working at the front desk handed him the remotes and he programmed all the V-chips to block Fox.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 10

@freejugar , Stevehovah deserves a gold medal for crappy parenting for that alone. The boys got punished for something that was at the *very* worst annoying, and the snitch got rewarded.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, Hane said:

@freejugar , Stevehovah deserves a gold medal for crappy parenting for that alone. The boys got punished for something that was at the *very* worst annoying, and the snitch got rewarded.

I think he punished them a lot for stupid things. Where a typical parent might not have. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 7

On 8/21/2020 at 4:50 PM, Jana814 said:

I think he punished them a lot for stupid things. Where a typical parent might not have. 

A primary precept of patriarchal parenting is punitive punishments. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Apologies for my prior post that was removed. 
It said “precisely”, sticking with @Giraffe’s alliterative theme, but fell foul of the rule against one and two word responses (and earning me my first ever FJ warning). 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

Does anyone get Steve's latest corner? someone doesn't pray enough and doesn't have a christian profession? who could it be?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, freejugar said:

Does anyone get Steve's latest corner? someone doesn't pray enough and doesn't have a christian profession? who could it be?

Sometimes, I think Steve could have pretty much anybody in mind when he makes these posts. In addition to the litany of flaws he finds in the members of his family, I suspect he regularly experiences interactions with various insufficiently pious strangers in his daily life which provide fodder for his weekly philippic. These are almost certainly completely unremarkable and quickly forgotten by the other party, but Steve strikes me as the sort who devotes a lot of time to ruminating over all of the ways in which he's been wronged by everyone else. God, he's such a twat.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

Yes, remember the interaction he had with the bagger at the grocery store?  The kid had some kind of degree or diploma in computer graphics, or similar, but chose to work at the grocery store.

Steve offered to help him find a job in the graphics field, but the kid turned him down.

Steve wrote a Suddenly Steve post about it and said he was going to go back and talk to the kid further about it.  He couldn't believe the kid would choose to work at the grocery store instead of getting a Steve approved job!

God forbid this young man makes his own decisions about his life.  Poor kid, I hope he's been able to dodge Steve at the store.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, kpmom said:

Yes, remember the interaction he had with the bagger at the grocery store?  The kid had some kind of degree or diploma in computer graphics, or similar, but chose to work at the grocery store.

Steve offered to help him find a job in the graphics field, but the kid turned him down.

Steve wrote a Suddenly Steve post about it and said he was going to go back and talk to the kid further about it.  He couldn't believe the kid would choose to work at the grocery store instead of getting a Steve approved job!

God forbid this young man makes his own decisions about his life.  Poor kid, I hope he's been able to dodge Steve at the store.

During the heyday of their tours with Uriah, he asked some kid at a gas station if he knew where he was going when he died. The kid, who pretty obviously saw how to get a rise out of Steve, nonchalantly responded that he thought he'd go to hell. It was actually pretty funny and I expect that more than one snarky teen has fucked with Steve in a similar fashion. He deserves it, too. Guess whose business my afterlife isn't? ?

Edited by Joe Pukepail
  • Upvote 14
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

During the heyday of their tours with Uriah, he asked some kid at a gas station if he knew where he was going when he died. The kid, who pretty obviously saw how to get a rise out of Steve, nonchalantly responded that he thought he'd go to hell. It was actually pretty funny and I expect that more than one snarky teen has fucked with Steve in a similar fashion. He deserves it, too. Guess whose business my afterlife isn't? ?

No kidding. It always kind of makes me take a breath when any fundie mentions asking someone if they're saved/where they're going when they die/whatever they are being nosy about. Um, it's none of your business, dude!

I had one fundie uncle and when he was a freshly saved convert, he asked my grandmother why she wouldn't accept Christ and be saved or however it was phrased. My grandma answered that if she had to do this or that or whatever it was (again, I don't remember the exact phrasing) then she'd prefer to go to hell where her parents and siblings surely are so she can spend eternity with them. My uncle, of course, came back with a bunch of religious BS and my grandma just said if you want to go to heaven that's your choice, I made mine, this conversation is done. 

Although he played the "get saved" BS with just about everyone else for the rest of his life, he never dared bring it up to my grandma again.

I am proud to be her granddaughter. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

When my mom was in the hospital prior to her dying, my stepbrother and his 2nd wife were reading a book by John MacArthur and talking about marriage. He was a Catholic turned hard core fundie. I don't remember how the conversation turned into a discussion about being saved, but they asked me, and I said "I can't remember when I wasn't saved. I've been "walking wet" since baptism (infant) and never been apart from the Lord." They were appalled. I mean, you have to be saved! I said when I was confirmed I took the commitments that my parents and sponsors had made and said them for myself. I've always felt that most fundies aren't secure in their faith and have to make a big deal out of being saved in case their neighbors wondered.

Of course, this is the stepbrother who one afternoon at my moms house, that all women softball players were lesbians...because he just knew that.  Hypocrite and asshole much?

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Of course, this is the stepbrother who one afternoon at my moms house, that all women softball players were lesbians...because he just knew that.  Hypocrite and asshole much?

...this is what we said in junior high when we were insecure about being girls who played ice hockey. Is your stepbrother a junior high girl?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Count me among those heathen Catholics who kind of chuckle inside when fundies talk about being saved. I like to think that some of us got it right from the beginning,  it, just in case, we top it off with the Sacraments.  

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

Count me among those heathen Catholics who kind of chuckle inside when fundies talk about being saved. I like to think that some of us got it right from the beginning,  it, just in case, we top it off with the Sacraments.  

I always used to say I was a “born-once” Catholic. The biblical verse about being “born again” only made sense back in biblical times, when *no one* was a Christian until Jesus began his ministry. The concept makes no sense nowadays if someone’s been a believing Christian since childhood.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

One of my favorite verses from Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young":

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it's better but I say it ain't
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

59 minutes ago, Hane said:

I always used to say I was a “born-once” Catholic. The biblical verse about being “born again” only made sense back in biblical times, when *no one* was a Christian until Jesus began his ministry. The concept makes no sense nowadays if someone’s been a believing Christian since childhood.

As a lapsed Catholic we can't technically believe in anything until we reach the age of reason, but tbh most go through with confirmation even if they don't believe by that point to either finish the sacraments or because it's easier than fighting with parents.

Someone in my family,  whom I love dearly, went fundy-lite when I was a kid (but serious fundy lite in that no secular music, no movies, no fairy tales, Santa was satanic as was Disney, etc) and before they stopped God bothering the family (genuinely out of concern, but still so annoying) they would keep talking about how they were no longer Catholic and the born again thing.

I am going to sound like a total shit for this, but it amused me to remind them about the indelible nature of their infant baptism and how once a Catholic always a Catholic, unless ex-communicated, in the eyes of the RCC.  They would get SO annoyed...but it led to an agree to disagree truce on religion we've both honored to this day so it worked.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

@HerNameIsBuffy, re Confirmation: I’d always been a pretty religious Catholic kid, but I’ll never forget my Confirmation, at age 11 in sixth grade. I stood there in my cap and gown with my hundred or so fellow confirmands, waiting for some transcendent spiritual experience, and thinking, “This is no big deal.” (Our church had outgrown its original building, so the ceremony took place in the big gym of our parish center.) It didn’t hold a candle to what I felt as a seven-year-old in my white dress and veil, receiving my First Communion in our little original parish church with the angel murals.

• Love 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic