IGNORED

Seriously Steve 2: She Was a Woman, So She Probably F*cked Up Somewhere

HerNameIsBuffy

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

The Guiding Light started out on the radio and I think that Charita Bauer was the only actress to ever play Bert Bauer.  The character Bert had uterine cancer in the early 60s although Charita herself did not.  When Charita had a leg amputated due to complications from a blood clot in 1983, so did Bert when Charita was able to resume work on the show a few months later.    Charita also originated the role of Little Mary in the Broadway production of The Women.

Memories! Charita Bauer was indeed the only actress to play Bert, first on the radio and then on TV (with an overlap from 1952-56).  I was in a community theater production of “The Women” a couple of years ago. The foreword of the script mentions the “brilliant child actress Charita Bauer” and how, before the play opened, she said something like, “I don’t know how the show will turn out, but everyone is going to look marvelous!” (re the costuming)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

@Hane, people note that Kelsey Grammar played Frazier for twenty years -and that is noteworthy- but that doesn't  hold a candle to the actors and actresses that played a particular role on a soap for 40 years or more, and were often the only person to ever play that role.  It's not just actors on American soaps either.  There were/are several actors on EastEnders that fit that bill.

Yesterday, I could find a Wikipedia list of actresses and actors who've have long tenures on various soaps, but can't seem to find it today.  

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@JordynDarby5 have you read Renia's diary? A young girls life in the shadow of the Holocaust by Renia Spiegel? My daughter bought it for me for christmas but Ive not been well enough to read it yet

No, but I'll add it to my list. I did read Sala's Gift by Ann Kirschner Sala's daughter about a Polish teenager who's older sister received an order to report to a work camp. But the older sister had some sort of mental or delayed problems and the family was scared to send her. So she took her older sister's spot for what she thought would be six weeks.  She ended up surviving seven different camps. It had it was very detailed on people being picked, how for awhile if you were married and/or pregnant you wouldn't be picked so many quickly married. Not that it mattered in the end of course. She and two of her sisters survived the rest of their extend family of fifty didn't.

• Upvote 3

I'll add that one to my list! Thank you

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

No, but I'll add it to my list. I did read Sala's Gift by Ann Kirschner Sala's daughter about a Polish teenager who's older sister received an order to report to a work camp. But the older sister had some sort of mental or delayed problems and the family was scared to send her. So she took her older sister's spot for what she thought would be six weeks.  She ended up surviving seven different camps. It had it was very detailed on people being picked, how for awhile if you were married and/or pregnant you wouldn't be picked so many quickly married. Not that it mattered in the end of course. She and two of her sisters survived the rest of their extend family of fifty didn't.

• Upvote 3

EastEnders has three current cast members who appeared in the first episode in 1985 - Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale), Letitia Dean (Sharon Watts) and Gillian Taylforth (Kathy Beale). Of those only Adam Woodyatt has been in it continuously for the whole 35 years.

In Coronation Street, William Roache has been playing Ken Barlow since it first aired in 1960.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Topaz said:

In Coronation Street, William Roache has been playing Ken Barlow since it first aired in 1960.

I was going to mention him. His son is also an actor and was on one of my favorite shows Law & Order. I couldn’t believe the actor was British because he did the American accent so well on the show. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I was just reading something on Wikipedia about William and Linus Roache last week.  I don't who was I looking up or why, but I was surprised as well about Linus being British @Jana814

• Upvote 4

I had a block of time off on Tues/Thursdays in college, so I'd do the ironing to Ryan's Hope and All My Children. I used to be able to name all of Erica's husbands. Watched mainly ABC  then. When I was little our babysitter watched Edge of Night-- Mike Carr was a great character. 

• Love 2

@anniebgood,  I remember watching the very first episode of Ryan's Hope.  I always wanted to name a daughter Maeve.  Or Siobhan although no-one would know how to pronounce it..  One of my daughters is named Mary.

I was watching a documentary on PBS this Sunday after Carrie Chapman Catt and Kate Mulgrew was the narrator.  I knew I recognized that voice.  I've known it since that first episode of Ryan's Hope.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I was well into my teens before I knew that “soap opera” was not synonymous with “on since the beginning of time.”.  For example, “The Best of Everything” ran for only six months in 1970, and A World Apart lasted just over a year in 1970-71.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@anniebgood,  I remember watching the very first episode of Ryan's Hope.  I always wanted to name a daughter Maeve.  Or Siobhan although no-one would know how to pronounce it..  One of my daughters is named Mary.

I was watching a documentary on PBS this Sunday after Carrie Chapman Catt and Kate Mulgrew was the narrator.  I knew I recognized that voice.  I've known it since that first episode of Ryan's Hope.

I had a Captain Katherine Janeway figurine/Christmas tree ornament in my cube at work, and a colleague dropped by and said, “Isn’t that Kate Mulgrew from ‘Ryan’s Hope’?”

I saw Kate play the part of Katharine Hepburn in the one-woman play “Tea at Five” in Hartford several years ago, and she was astounding.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

On 7/18/2020 at 9:43 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The buried alive storyline was a really good one. I don’t think there was a better storyline the entire time I watched. 

It was probably my favorite storyline on Days. I loved Carly and Bo together, more than Bo and Hope. I stopped watching Days in high school when it got silly and fell headfirst into the Brenda/Jax/Sonny storyline on General Hospital. I watched soaps religiously throughout college and would still snag an episode of the ABC lineup here and there when the Sporktwins were little. Now I don't even know what soaps are still airing.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Jana814 said:

My mother listened to Soap operas also. My cousin’s grandfather would watch soap operas every day after work. His work hours were 4am to 12pm so he would come home from work to a quiet empty house and watch them. 

My dad, a career Army man, came home every day for lunch for 20+ years just so he could catch the last half hour of The Young and the Restless. We couldn't interrupt him unless it was during a commercial break, but boy, did we have some fun discussions! I cherish those memories now that he's gone. Steve can suck it for thinking you can't positively bond over the Beast.

Edited by spork78
  • Upvote 10

Steve would love to have his prejudices confirmed - all us heathen ladies wasting the hours god gave us watching soaps instead of scheduling every moment for the LORD. 
I haven’t watched soaps since my young adulthood (unless you count shows like The Tudors and Versailles which are just soaps with more elaborate wardrobes) but I do remember my friends and I recording and watching Passions together in late high school/uni years.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, freejugar said:

https://articles.titus2.com/two-leavenworth-escapees/

Ok so two convicts are on the run. How does it relate to your teen son allowing access to his phone? what kind of mental gimnastics?

Wtf does Goats For Hire mean? And “it will be a sad day when they’re caught and locked up”? Is Steve rooting for the escapees? What an utterly bizarre piece of writing. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

The man's not right in the head.

"Goats for hire" likely is a reference to a niche business where the owner of goats will rent them out to property owners who want a more earth-friendly way to clear overgrown property.  We have at least one of those herds in our area.  The owner of the goats puts up a barrier to keep the goats from wandering away and puts a group of goats in there.  Water is supplied if it's not available from a pond or screen.  The goats will eat almost anything, weeds, brambles, small bushes, etc.  In return they poop all over which breaks down into fertilizer over time.  The goats are usually removed in the evening and either put back the next day, or if they've done a good job of clearing that area, the fences are moved to a new location and the goats have more eating to do.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

O.k., so, I'm confused. 

I assumed Steve meant the escapees were convicts.  But, does he mean goats?

I thought it was a little odd that people were getting a kick out of escaped convicts.

Good grief, this family and their crappy writing.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I could follow his writing and his reasoning, but that was seriously some tortured writing from Steve.  The prisoners were clearing grass and brush just as the Goats for Hire goats do thus his equating the prisoners to Goats for Hire.  Imprisoned for crimes or imprisoned by sin, either way men (or boys) are not free in the word according to Steve.

Cheering on the escapees does seem odd for Steve who I'd think would be in favor of people serving their full sentence.  That wouldn't go well with his freedom from sin theme so freedom for all!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

"Goats for hire" likely is a reference to a niche business where the owner of goats will rent them out to property owners who want a more earth-friendly way to clear overgrown property.  We have at least one of those herds in our area.  The owner of the goats puts up a barrier to keep the goats from wandering away and puts a group of goats in there.  Water is supplied if it's not available from a pond or screen.  The goats will eat almost anything, weeds, brambles, small bushes, etc.  In return they poop all over which breaks down into fertilizer over time.  The goats are usually removed in the evening and either put back the next day, or if they've done a good job of clearing that area, the fences are moved to a new location and the goats have more eating to do.

This is the most fabulous thing I've ever heard of and if this were available in my suburb I'd be the neighborhood goat lady, so often would I hire them.

Pure genius …. I have no experience raising animals because domestic pets but I've always dreamed of having a little farm with some goats and sheep.  But as I wouldn't eat them and cheese making is way too much work I was thinking more a goat farm-IT service.  

Because that's a combo people are clamoring for.

I so want this to be my new career.  Mommy to goats who go on field trips for money.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 4

Goats might be better for brush and bramble, but sheep are better lawnmowers.  Sheep will stick to eating grass, but goats will nibble on anything:  tree limbs, your rose bushes, your drawers you've hung out on the line.  James Herriot has a funny story about the last one.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Several of the cities around us lease goats to chow down on hillsides and big vacant lots. Cheap and easy. Keeps the land fire safe during this fire season. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

Off topic but I've been reading Mary L. Trump's book which is really good BTW.  Fred Trump Sr and Steve Maxwell are a lot a like.  They are both obsessed with their gods, Fred money and Steve Jesus.  Both of them think hobbies are a waste of time and Fred really gave Freddy a hard time over his boat and plane, Steve took Nate and Chris out of Little League.  Fred squashed Freddy's pilot career with TWA, Steve squashed Chris's dream of being an EMT.  Both of them were callous to their wives.  When #BunkerBitch's mother was in pain from osteoporosis Fred would say "everything's great right Toots", when Teri was suffering from depression Steve would get her professional help and impregnated her six more times.  Fred didn't approve of Freddy's wife, and I don't think Steve cares for Chelsy.  Both are also control freaks.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

20 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Goats might be better for brush and bramble, but sheep are better lawnmowers.  Sheep will stick to eating grass, but goats will nibble on anything:

• Haha 2
  • Love 2

On 7/31/2020 at 6:42 AM, Flossie said:

Thank you! It hadn't ocurred to me that Steve was talking about goats all along. I thought he was making a clever (to him) insult toward the convict work crew. We have prison work crews here that do a lot of brush clearing as well as fighting wildfires.

One local "rent a ruminant" biz doesn't hire the best goatherds, and the goats routinely escape if, while he's off grabbing a Frappuccino or something, someone comes along who thinks it'd be hilarious to pull up the fiberglass stakes that hold up the portable electric fencing. Chaos ensues as the goats abandon the wild blackberries for the far tastier landscaping in the neighboring subdivision and any unleashed dogs join the fun.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

@Black Aliss, the wild blackberries would have been enough for our English shepherd, Sandy.  She loved to go blackberry picking with us and, yep, she ate the blackberries she's pick off the bramble.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic