IGNORED

Seriously Steve 2: She Was a Woman, So She Probably F*cked Up Somewhere

HerNameIsBuffy

7 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Steve is still bitching about noisy kids in church and their parents solution to put them in the nursery.

And of course the "solution" is the all mighty bible time, and a schedule. 

And, he will continue next week!

Lucky "dads" reading his drivel - a third installment of "I judge you for not raising your spawn as we raised ours". 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Steve is still bitching about noisy kids in church and their parents solution to put them in the nursery.

I swear he’s just a crotchety old grouch of a man. It must suck to be around him for extended periods. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 13

I think it probably sucks to be around him for even short periods of time. Feeling constantly judged and found lacking doesn’t usually make people want to visit. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 14

I really wonder how long this going to an actual church will last?

You know Steve will have a "conversation" about the loud kids with their parents, assuming he hasn't already.  The parents won't take it well. 

How long before the congregation ostracizes the Maxwells?

• Upvote 13

I just read the last two Seriously Steve's. 

Personally I'd rather the parents deal with the screaming child elsewhere so I can focus. 

One priest I knew was against crying rooms. He felt the parents missed out on the mass and that as a congregation we needed to invite everyone in, even troublesome babies and toddlers. He wasn't worried the kids would miss things. 

We had a little booklet we could color while listening. It had the week's Gospel. 

The second one is called "How Embarrassing". Here's a snippet from the end.

Whatever the age of the child, you must start. Don’t blame anyone else (including your wife), but begin now. (Continued next week.)

This reminds of Abbie (misformama) being upset her almost 2 year old isn't mature enough. I'm glad he doesn't blame the wife. Unfortunately he'll continue this theme next week.

Shut Up, Steve. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

My niece by marriage, in her early 30s, believes her father (my BIL) is a god.  Not because she was raised fundie (far from it) but because he'd instilled that in her.  He's also been bitching since she was born that she wasn't a boy (she's an only child). He's still bitching about it.

She has spent her entire life tying to please him, to make up for not being a boy. She has followed in his career footsteps in order to please him, become a mini-him in thought, attitude, political leanings, interests, hobbies, etc. -- all to please him. She's still try to please him even though she's on her own, living across the country from him. (She's a resident doctor). 

One of the worst things he's done to her is to convince her that dating or any kind of relationship is stupid and she is not allowed to have one.. When she was in high school she had exactly one date.  When the boy came to pick her up for date #2 he ran the guy off and told him never to speak to Niece again. When another boy dared to call Niece for a date BIL stood by the phone and made Niece tell the guy never to call her again and to leave her alone.  I know this because BIL told us , very pleased with himself for having done that.

When Niece moved to be a resident she met someone and for the first time ever had a boyfriend,  I don't know how serious it was,  but she told her grandmother all about it during their weekly phone calls..  About 3 -4 months into the relationship, her parents fly out to see her. I don't know what happened but in lees than a week after the parents left Niece told her grandmother she was no longer seeing the boyfriend. In the 2 years since then she has not had another date.

I'd bet cash money either my BIL ran the young man off himself or forced Niece to do it while BIL stood and watched.

TL;DR   I'll make the same bet that Steve has done the exact same thing to his daughters.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 23
  • WTF 6

28 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

My niece by marriage, in her early 30s, believes her father (my BIL) is a god.  Not because she was raised fundie (far from it) but because he'd instilled that in her.  He's also been bitching since she was born that she wasn't a boy (she's an only child). He's still bitching about it.

She has spent her entire life tying to please him, to make up for not being a boy. She has followed in his career footsteps in order to please him, become a mini-him in thought, attitude, political leanings, interests, hobbies, etc. -- all to please him. She's still try to please him even though she's on her own, living across the country from him. (She's a resident doctor). 

One of the worst things he's done to her is to convince her that dating or any kind of relationship is stupid and she is not allowed to have one.. When she was in high school she had exactly one date.  When the boy came to pick her up for date #2 he ran the guy off and told him never to speak to Niece again. When another boy dared to call Niece for a date BIL stood by the phone and made Niece tell the guy never to call her again and to leave her alone.  I know this because BIL told us , very pleased with himself for having done that.

When Niece moved to be a resident she met someone and for the first time ever had a boyfriend,  I don't know how serious it was,  but she told her grandmother all about it during their weekly phone calls..  About 3 -4 months into the relationship, her parents fly out to see her. I don't know what happened but in lees than a week after the parents left Niece told her grandmother she was no longer seeing the boyfriend. In the 2 years since then she has not had another date.

I'd bet cash money either my BIL ran the young man off himself or forced Niece to do it while BIL stood and watched.

TL;DR   I'll make the same bet that Steve has done the exact same thing to his daughters.

I had distant female cousins with a father like that. They lived at home all their lives and the only boyfriend one of them had was run off by her father. After their parents died, they didn’t bother dating since they were already past middle age and figured it was too late. They both died without ever marrying. 

• Sad 14

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I can totally see Steve doing this. I’m not sure if any of the girls have/had guys interested in them. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/17/2020 at 9:14 AM, smittykins said:

I actually used to play DOOM(a favorite of my gamer husband)sometimes after a particularly trying day at the salt minesfast food joint with a creepy royal mascot.

But only on the lowest difficulty setting.  I’m kind of a fraidy cat. :pb_lol:

Quoting myself to say that I just got the DOOM Slayers Collection(DOOM 1/2/3 digital downloads and 2016) for the PS4.  Going to try it out after I get home from the laundromat.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 2

I just tried to read the Seriously Steve post.  The link appears to be broken.

I have ZERO patience for people who get hung up on anyone making noise in church.  One of the main reasons I walked away from church was because it stopped being a safe space for my son with significant disabilities.  As a person with ID he didn't understand the call to be quiet, and he responded with enthusiasm to church.  The God I look to would want my son in church, not being ostracized because he didn't understand social cues. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 12

On 12/23/2020 at 6:03 PM, allyisyourpally5 said:

Likewise I hardly “just” watch TV - I have something in my hands. 

Same! I have to be doing something - lately knitting, but sometimes drawing, painting, or jewelry making depending on whether I can be bothered to move to the studio or not. ("Studio" being what I'm calling my craft room, because it's a place to make art.)

I know some people knit in church. I've not done it yet (at my church anyway, I did take some knitting to an event I was pressured to attend at another church once). I do tend to doodle if I have something to write with, though. I'm more likely to pay attention that way. If I'm just sitting there listening chances are my mind is in another universe entirely.

22 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I have ZERO patience for people who get hung up on anyone making noise in church.  One of the main reasons I walked away from church was because it stopped being a safe space for my son with significant disabilities.  As a person with ID he didn't understand the call to be quiet, and he responded with enthusiasm to church.  The God I look to would want my son in church, not being ostracized because he didn't understand social cues. 

We have a man at our church who has an intellectually disability - he's a few years older than me, I think? He stayed in the youth sunday school class for a long time, I remember. He lives in a group home, I think, and is brought to church every Sunday (pre-pandemic). He always sits near the front, and while he's usually pretty quiet, he often calls out an enthusiastic "AMEN!" from time to time. Everyone knows and loves him, and he's an important part of the church family and has been since he was a child. All of his family members have moved away, over the years, but he still attends church and when they're in town they attend with him.

I personally think a very upset baby or young child should probably be taken out of the situation and soothed, but general baby or kid noises? No big deal. As my pastor says, the Bible says to make a joyful noise. We do have a nursery for parents who want to use it, and also the younger elementary age kids usually attend the service up until the children's sermon just before the main sermon, and afterward go to kids' church - that way they can participate in the singing and bible readings and be part of the announcements and greetings, but then have a change of scenery before the more difficult-to-sit-through part starts. There are also activity bags with quiet things to do for younger kids who prefer to stay in the service.

Steve is just a big nasty grinch. Church should be for everyone who wants to be there, no matter their ability or age. There are ways to make it work for everyone, and "love one another" should be the main thing. It's not loving to ostracize people, or blog-complain about noisy children. Jesus didn't say "Please take these noisy kids out of here or otherwise make them shut up!"

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I just tried to read the Seriously Steve post.  The link appears to be broken.

That's not what his post was about. He was mad parents sent their little ones to the crying room, versus forcing them to listen to God's word. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2

28 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That's not what his post was about. He was mad parents sent their little ones to the crying room, versus forcing them to listen to God's word. 

If he's mad about that, then he's probably just as mad about anyone making noise during the sermon rather than listening quietly. 

It's Steve. He'll be mad about whatever he can find to be mad about, and if there isn't something obvious he'll nitpick until he does find something. He's unpleasable. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

47 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Thanks.  I tried to go read the post but couldn't.  

• Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Thanks.  I tried to go read the post but couldn't.  

Their "expert" website is broken. If you hover over the link for Articles and get the drop down to  "view articles" and try to see them that way, you get an error. If you just click on the Articles link, you get there.

It's been like that for a really long time. Given they are a family of "IT experts" you'd think someone would fix it. But, it must not be on the schedule. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 8

When my daughter was little, our Catholic parish had a nursery during one of the masses; teen and parent volunteers took turns overseeing it. Our pastor was sympathetic to young children and their parents. During one sermon, he told us that forcing uninterested little kids to sit through a religious service was a recipe for teaching them to hate church. He said, “Jesus taught the adults—but he played with the kids.” (cf. “Suffer the little children to come into me”)

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 13

Steve can’t seem to get that some children may not enjoy going to church. His children & grandkids might enjoy going because I bet it’s the only time they get out of the house. 

• Upvote 11

I've unsubscribed from his email after the latest cruel 'training' instructions.  He is evil.  And incredibly uneducated.

Using every opportunity, once a baby can sit in a high chair to eat, meal prayer times are perfect for simple training. Teach your children these three basic rules for praying: hands folded, eyes down, sit still. Of course, it will be funnier than effective at first, but you’re committed, remember? 

Start with short prayers and over time, move to progressively longer ones. If you are implementing this with toddlers, tell them you will be praying with your eyes open so you can make sure theirs are closed. If they aren’t successful, they can practice longer while others are being served their meal first. 

Don’t underestimate your child’s ability to understand when his behavior is pleasing you. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 2

Steve is a shit human and I wouldn't let someone I love, particularly not a child, anywhere near him. 

I wonder how many people at their new church he has already managed to alienate?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

My whole career, I have been involved in Early Years education - activities / lessons for children 5 and under hardly last 15 minutes. I don’t expect them to sit on a carpet and stay focused for more than 10 when we do a story time. Steve’s expectations are way too high and just cruel.

I look at some of the ridiculously sweet, polite and lovely children I know, many showing strong academics, but they struggle to sit still. They have to fiddle. They can’t listen for more than a minute. They learn visually and by doing. I just think if they were a Maxwell......my word no wonder those boys want to escape. From Teri’s homeschooling corners I always understood the Reversal Boys to be much harder for her and less “accepting” of their situation than the older two.

• Upvote 11

I think Steve's disgruntlement is just his preparation for yanking his family out of the church(es) they attend and making them sit through his "ministry to the elderly" just as soon as the nursing home is willing to let them back in.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

37 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I think Steve's disgruntlement is just his preparation for yanking his family out of the church(es) they attend and making them sit through his "ministry to the elderly" just as soon as the nursing home is willing to let them back in.

I’m sure that is what he will do. He can control their nursing home church. He can’t where they are going now. He has to listen. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

34 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I doubt most of his sons will let him drag them back to the nursing home. Certainly I'd be surprised if the reversals left their churches. Maybe Nathan and Christopher will go back. Of course the daughters will be stuck if Steve decides to go back to the nursing home. 

Steve is training children like dogs.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Steve is a shit human and I wouldn't let someone I love, particularly not a child, anywhere near him. 

I wonder how many people at their new church he has already managed to alienate?

I wouldn't let any Maxwell adult or child anywhere near a loved one.  Here is Chris making Josh pray.  Notice how his cereal bowl is away from him so he can't reach it.  If they don't let him eat without praying beforehand that is child abuse right there.

DSC_8631.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 2

I know people use a short hand saying nursing home church, but I'm obliged to correct the record and say they have not met at a nursing home in YEARS.  It was a regular retirement community where they were last visiting and offering services.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic