IGNORED

Seriously Steve 2: She Was a Woman, So She Probably F*cked Up Somewhere

HerNameIsBuffy

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I started at age 11 on Days of our Lives. Around the time Carly was buried alive by Vivian. Then when Marlena was possessed by the devil I realized how silly it was. But I still watched. Until I graduated high school. After that I might catch an episode here and there. But it had lost its appeal. 

And you could always pick it right back up, no matter the time lapse. ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

My summers through high school were all about All My Children and General Hospital - occasionally One Life to Live. That was before DVR or even our own VCR (not that we would have know how to record, anyway). So, you completely lost the story when you went back to school but started in again the following May. 

In college, we didn’t watch standard daytime soaps. My roommate and I had to catch the reruns of Dallas and Knots Landing. Every day, from 3 to 5, we were in front of her tiny black and white TV, drinking Diet Coke and watching Val & Gary, Pam and Bobby. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

In college everyone I knew watched Days of Our Lives.  A bunch of us would get together in the rec room and watch it.  Post college I really got into Dallas when it was rerunning on TNT.  I was working 3rd shift for a while wake up mid afternoon and watch it.  Saw all the classic cliffhangers...Who shot JR, who shot Bobby, Kristin in the pool, Bobby in the shower.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Random question. Did anyone here use or know someone who uses the Maxwell's scheduling programs?

Also... I know there are a lot of intricacies in how the Maxwells think ppl should schedule their time. Did they ever compile all their practices? A book perhaps?

The first soap I regularly watched was Dark Shadows although I'd occasionally seen others.  I think we saw the very first episode ever of Dark Shadows.  From Dark Shadows, we got into General Hospital since it came one before Dark Shadows.  Eventually, we got into All My Children, but I never was into The Young and Restless although I did know who some of the characters were (Snapper, Mrs Chancellor).  Lots of the girls in my dorm at UGA were into Days so it was easy to start watching it.  I never got into any of the CBS soaps, except I wish that I'd gotten into The Edge of Night.  I didn't know that it was a spin-off of Perry Mason and I love Perry Mason.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I started at age 11 on Days of our Lives. Around the time Carly was buried alive by Vivian. Then when Marlena was possessed by the devil I realized how silly it was. But I still watched. Until I graduated high school. After that I might catch an episode here and there. But it had lost its appeal. 

We must be around the same age as those are my early stand out memories, too. I haven't watched since the real Stefano died. Without Stefano (the real one, not some copy cat) the show lost all appeal.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

We must be around the same age as those are my early stand out memories, too. I haven't watched since the real Stefano died. Without Stefano (the real one, not some copy cat) the show lost all appeal.

The buried alive storyline was a really good one. I don’t think there was a better storyline the entire time I watched. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

The first soap I regularly watched was Dark Shadows although I'd occasionally seen others.  I think we saw the very first episode ever of Dark Shadows.  From Dark Shadows, we got into General Hospital since it came one before Dark Shadows.  Eventually, we got into All My Children, but I never was into The Young and Restless although I did know who some of the characters were (Snapper, Mrs Chancellor).  Lots of the girls in my dorm at UGA were into Days so it was easy to start watching it.  I never got into any of the CBS soaps, except I wish that I'd gotten into The Edge of Night.  I didn't know that it was a spin-off of Perry Mason and I love Perry Mason.

This was pretty much my trajectory too. Loved me some B Collins. Funny story, my mom’s youngest sister, far closer in age to me than to my mom, and her husband loved DS so much they named their daughter Angelique- Angie, as she now goes by, is in her early 40s. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:08 PM, PennySycamore said:

I'm about to start watching Auntie Mama on TCM (t's one of my favorites and they aired an old into by Robert Osborne) and I'm reminded of Auntie Mame's most famous line:

Stvehovah and company are starving to death.

That movie is great.  I have TCM and I am going to check later on to see if it's on On Demand.  I haven't seen it in years!    

@SassyPants, my late aunt used to hang out a lot at the old Dennis Wholey show which was produced at a station in Cincinnati.  (I suppose she was in the audience so regularly that she got to know Dennis.)  Anyway, her friendship with Dennis led to her meeting some interesting people like Jonathon Frid who I don't have to tell you played Barnabas.

@HeartsAFundie, it is available On Demand through the 24th.  (I just checked.)  It should also be available  on Watch TCM.  I hope both those options have the Robert Osborne intro.  I know I should be able to watch the intro on Backlot.  

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Love 3

PASSIONS who can forget Timmy.  I watched General Hospital back in the late 60's with my Mom, when there was Nurse Jessie and Dr. Steve Hardy.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The buried alive storyline was a really good one. I don’t think there was a better storyline the entire time I watched. 

Agreed. Vivian was always one of my favorite characters (after the wonderful Stefano, of course). The evil characters were always more interesting and likeable than the goody goody fake ones like Marlena. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Agreed. Vivian was always one of my favorite characters (after the wonderful Stefano, of course). The evil characters were always more interesting and likeable than the goody goody fake ones like Marlena. 

Except for Susan and her fake teeth and awful southern accent. I can remember doing my best Susan impression as a teen. It was so ridiculous it was pretty easy to mimic her.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Shaquillle Oatmeal said:

Random question. Did anyone here use or know someone who uses the Maxwell's scheduling programs?

Also... I know there are a lot of intricacies in how the Maxwells think ppl should schedule their time. Did they ever compile all their practices? A book perhaps?

Their scheduling book is called Managers of Their Home. 
Check out the reviews for it on Amazon for some interesting reading. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kpmom said:

Their scheduling book is called Managers of Their Home. 
Check out the reviews for it on Amazon for some interesting reading. 

Are we talking interesting entertaining like the reviews on the bic pens made for women and sugar free gummy bears?

Guess I'm fixing to find out. Please send a search party if I'm not back soonish.

And thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

PASSIONS who can forget Timmy.  I watched General Hospital back in the late 60's with my Mom, when there was Nurse Jessie and Dr. Steve Hardy.  

There was that one afternoon when I suppose my brothers and sisters were at band practice so I watched General  Hospital by myself.  Yep, that was the day we saw  Audrey stick a gun in the toilet tank and then see a dead babysitter,  with a gunshot wound to the forehead, on the floor of the babysitter's apartment.  That freaked me out so much that I could not talk about it. And yep, my siblings asked.  Audrey was not the kind of person to go around shooting people. Which she didn't.  I think, if memory serves, it was the babysitter's ex.  

Btw, actress Rachel Ames, who played Audrey from 1964 -2007 is still living.  43 years is a nice long run.  

• Upvote 3

On 7/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, SassyPants said:

And you could always pick it right back up, no matter the time lapse. ?

Wasn’t it, “watch on Thursday and have the whole week recapped?”

When I went away to college nobody had tv’s in their rooms. My mom would update me on soaps in her letters. Sometimes she’d end a paragraph about my siblings and start the next with, “Luke was accused of murder —“ and I’d jump, wondering who had died! Within a second or two I’d realize she’d gone to The Topic Of Our Soaps. 

Gosh, sweet memories of Big Mama JB in the Maxwell thread. Wonders never cease.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

On 7/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, Alisamer said:

My sisters and I still throw in so many movie references that some others can't follow our conversations.

Remember when Chelsy and Gigi bonded over a couple lines from (I think) The Princess Bride, and no one else knew what they were talking about?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1

@JordynDarby5 have you read Renia's diary? A young girls life in the shadow of the Holocaust by Renia Spiegel? My daughter bought it for me for christmas but Ive not been well enough to read it yet

• Thank You 2

On 7/18/2020 at 12:20 AM, PennySycamore said:

We are  clearly of the same generation! My mother watched a lot of the CBS soaps back then. Love Of Life, Search For Tomorrow, Guiding Light, and The Edge of Night. Edge of Night was on just before Dark Shadows in my area, and I never missed those two in the summer. I got home from school in time to watch all of DS, and would call my best friend afterwards to discuss the latest shenanigans Quentin, Barnabas, or Willie Loomis had got up to. 

Snapper! He was first played by someone else, but was replaced by David Hasselhoff after a couple of years. That credit isn't listed on his IMDb chart, though; either whoever wrote all that didn't know about it, or Hasselhoff has quietly expunged it from the record. LOL. Y&R was another show my best friend and I would endlessly discuss every summer. I couldn't watch any of the soaps after high school, though, and could not understand the mass hysteria over Luke and Laura in the 80s! 

• Love 2

@Loveday, those were my mom’s go-to’s! I remember when I was a kid in the ‘50s and some of those soaps were only 15 minutes long. They were simulcast on the radio and our local CBS affiliate. Mom used to listen to them on the radio while she ironed.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Loveday, those were my mom’s go-to’s! I remember when I was a kid in the ‘50s and some of those soaps were only 15 minutes long. They were simulcast on the radio and our local CBS affiliate. Mom used to listen to them on the radio while she ironed.

My mother listened to Soap operas also. My cousin’s grandfather would watch soap operas every day after work. His work hours were 4am to 12pm so he would come home from work to a quiet empty house and watch them. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Hane said:

Mom used to listen to them on the radio while she ironed.

I used to watch Another World with my mom when she ironed. She hated doing it and soaps got her through. Now that she is closer to 90 I'd like her to quite ironing...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Hane said:

I don't remember when they were still on the radio, but that was only a very few short years before my time. And Mom always seemed to be ironing while watching, I remember her constantly ironing my dad's Navy uniforms! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

The Guiding Light started out on the radio and I think that Charita Bauer was the only actress to ever play Bert Bauer.  The character Bert had uterine cancer in the early 60s although Charita herself did not.  When Charita had a leg amputated due to complications from a blood clot in 1983, so did Bert when Charita was able to resume work on the show a few months later.    Charita also originated the role of Little Mary in the Broadway production of The Women.

If any of you remember Kate Collins as Natalie on All My Children, her dad IRL is Michael Collins who commanded the Command Module that orbited the moon while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin went down to the moon.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic