IGNORED

Seriously Steve 2: She Was a Woman, So She Probably F*cked Up Somewhere

HerNameIsBuffy

The news damages the soul? This from someone the reads the Bible multiple times a day? Dude, there are rapes and mass murders all over that thing, how is that not damaging to the soul? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Dear Steve,

I ain't worried. I am capable of separating fact from fiction. I am capable of determining what my soul can take being exposed to. I am capable of enjoying a good comedy or crying over a good drama, and still walking away knowing what is real, what is not and what it has done to my soul. Actually, if I'm honest here, watching Dan Levy in Schitt's Creek is really f*cking good for my soul. It always makes me feel good and cheerful. 

If you're too scared of the tv, fine, don't watch. But don't act like it's some godly action. It's your personal choice because you are too weak to think or risk seeing something that will make you melt. It's not about god, it's about you. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

Well Steve, I'd tell you that my husband and kids and I watched many football games together and we didn't squander times. We laughed, we high fived and generally have a great time. I can't see how watching Nova and Nature damaged our souls, or David Attenbouroughs BBC documentaries. I admit the husband and I search on Friday nights for the worst space sci-fis we can find so we can laugh about it. 

I am right there with you!  Some of our happiest times as a family have been football Sundays!  I try to make something good in the crock pot (I'm not a great cook), we set up the t.v. trays, and watch and eat, laugh and talk all afternoon.  I don't consider those days squandered at all.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

14 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I am right there with you!  Some of our happiest times as a family have been football Sundays!  I try to make something good in the crock pot (I'm not a great cook), we set up the t.v. trays, and watch and eat, laugh and talk all afternoon.  I don't consider those days squandered at all.  

One Christmas when I couldn't make it home to see family I went to a good friend's house, they had all their family and some other friends over.  After brunch we sat around the Beast,  watched a repeat of the Pats-Dolphins game on NFL Network and made fun of Tom Brady (Pats lost)  Then we had dinner.  Good times indeed.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Love 4

I'm about to start watching Auntie Mama on TCM (t's one of my favorites and they aired an old into by Robert Osborne) and I'm reminded of Auntie Mame's most famous line:

Live! Live!  Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Stvehovah and company are starving to death.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

The news wouldn't be soul-destroying if you and too many others hadn't put that soul- and life-destroyer into the White House. Not to mention your Kansas representatives in the House and the Senate.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 10

10 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Well Steve, I'd tell you that my husband and kids and I watched many football games together and we didn't squander times. We laughed, we high fived and generally have a great time. I can't see how watching Nova and Nature damaged our souls, or David Attenbouroughs BBC documentaries. I admit the husband and I search on Friday nights for the worst space sci-fis we can find so we can laugh about it. 

9 hours ago, kpmom said:

My family spent most of my childhood watching TV together. We bonded together watching TV. My mom, Dad and I spent so much time talking about LOST and our various theories. The four of us watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy together solving puzzles and clues although Steve probably would hate that since you can learn a lot from those shows. Watching the wonderful world of Disney every Sunday. Watching movies and cartoons together is one of the few times my brother and I spent together. Our parents loved watching the Flintstones and other cartoons they grew up on. Dad and I watched so many military documentaries together back when the History channel still showed history shows and spending hours talking about different wars, weapons and other things. Dad and I spent one week watching Star Wars together which was the first time I saw it and got me hooked. We went to the Special Editions and Prequels together we weren't able to go to the sequels together because of my medical problems. One of my mom's last gifts to me though was The Force Awaking on DVD. My mom and I spent so much time together watching movies, Gilmore Girls, Charmed, Psych, Leverage and so many other shows talking about the characters and storylines. It was hard watching the First Psych movie without her and it'll be hard to watch the second one without her. So often the three of us watched shows together in the last couple years of her life or when Mom and I were both up all night we'd watch TV together. The three of us watching the Olympics together every two years and cheering on team USA together watching 1996 USA gymnastics finally win the gold medal, Phelps many wins, and so many others. Still talking every Olympics about the 1980 USA hockey team Miracle on Ice and the arrow being shot to lie the cauldron at the Barcelona games. The coolest way ever to have light that. Sure we bonded and spent did a lot of other things together throughout my childhood and as an adult. Going on vacations, out to dinner and other things. TV was just another way we spent time together.

Sure the news is depressing a lot. Lately especially due to Covid-19 and idiot in the WH. But also a way to get information about what's going on in the country and the world. Being glued to the TV after the Columbine Massacre, 9/11, the Challenger Explosion and so many other terrible moments. But also the good. The many heart-warming stories on the news, people helping each other, watching the rescue of Baby Jessica or the boys stuck in a cave in Thailand. Or in November 1989 watching TV when it suddenly switched to the Berlin Wall and people crossing from East Berlin. Watching families reunite, people hugging, singing. Climbing up on the wall to sing and starting to tear it down. It was an amazing moment no one saw coming. Still one of my favorite moments ever.

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 16

Steve has a problem when people don’t spend hours a day reading the Bible like he does. He doesn’t get that people can enjoy many things and still be a good person. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

Like many here, we've had some pretty wonderful time as a family bonding over something on television.  TV programming has also been the foundation of some pretty important and amazing conversations (social justice, faith, politics, etc).  But then, I am am also thrilled that my kids have grown up to be thoughtful, intelligent adults rather than Stepford children.

But what I really want to know after reading that post is what son has a television.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Like many here, we've had some pretty wonderful time as a family bonding over something on television.  TV programming has also been the foundation of some pretty important and amazing conversations (social justice, faith, politics, etc).  But then, I am am also thrilled that my kids have grown up to be thoughtful, intelligent adults rather than Stepford children.

But what I really want to know after reading that post is what son has a television.

I really hope it's Jesse.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Those who are not Nathan and Christopher. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

I remember when “Schindler’s List” came out. After seeing it at a theater, I purposely rented it so I could watch it with my daughter (who was 14) at home and discuss the tragic historical events in it.

We had favorite shows we enjoyed together, and loved going out to plays, concerts, and movies. We also loved reading books together and comparing our opinions and insights.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 10

Wow. Even Billy Graham watched TV. But I'm guessing he wasn't a fan of  soap operas. My mom and grandmother still watch the, Young and the Restless. I think it's the last one left on CBS. Is there any movie or show that's Maxwell approved? All I can think of is the Andy Griffith Show. That was a total snooze fest when I was a kid.

• Upvote 6

@Tangy Bee, I'm not sure if the Maxwells can even watch The Andy Griffith Show.  There's Otis who visits the jail when he's got a snootful,  Barney calling Juanita at the diner when Thelma Lou is supposed to be his girl,  the various moonshiners (especially those Morrison sisters), Aunt Bee drinking the Indian elixir and getting tidily, and those Fun Girls from Mount Pilot.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • Love 4

On 7/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Tangy Bee said:

Wow. Even Billy Graham watched TV. But I'm guessing he wasn't a fan of  soap operas. My mom and grandmother still watch the, Young and the Restless. I think it's the last one left on CBS. Is there any movie or show that's Maxwell approved? All I can think of is the Andy Griffith Show. That was a total snooze fest when I was a kid.

Not according to Bro Gary - he tells us it had enough FORNICATION to send a lot of people to Hell (he generally blames Barney and Thelma Lou). Of course, he also thinks the star's name was "Griffin," not "Griffith."

Gary is not known for his attention to reality.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

I often hate Autocorrect.  Aunt Bee got tiddly* from drinking the Indian elixir and I was not watching Auntie Mama the other evening, but Auntie Mame.  This time Autocorrect wanted to correct to Made.  Nope, Mame, you idiot Autocorrect!

*In fact, Barney said that if she wasn't Aunt Bee, he'd think she was tiddly.  Btw, that's one of my favorite episodes because Aunt Bee gets tiddly.  I love that scene where she is playing Toot, Toot, Tootsie on the piano and bouncing on the piano stool.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

On 7/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, fundiefan said:

Dear Steve,

It's not about god, it's about you. 

This is what everything in Maxhell boils down to. It's all about Steve.

My sisters and I still throw in so many movie references that some others can't follow our conversations. We spent so much time as kids watching movies together - and more than that, playing while movies or TV were on in the background. If we were awake and in the house (we spent a LOT of time outside), the TV was probably on, though once MTV came around it was on that more often than not. It was just the soundtrack to our lives.

And you know what? We're all good, normal people. One sister is even a deacon at church. 

Steve thinks everyone is like him and has his same weaknesses. We're not all pervs like you, Steve. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

@PennySycamore, I hate autocorrect! I have a new laptop and I’m still trying to figure out how to disable it! Drives me up the wall! At least on my phone I’ve been able to disable it and only use the suggestions feature. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Hane said:

I remember when “Schindler’s List” came out. After seeing it at a theater, I purposely rented it so I could watch it with my daughter (who was 14) at home and discuss the tragic historical events in it.

We had favorite shows we enjoyed together, and loved going out to plays, concerts, and movies. We also loved reading books together and comparing our opinions and insights.

I watched the movie first in school my middle school had a six week long thing they did on the Holocaust spanned over history, English and math class (although I forget how they included math) and at the end we watched the movie. I bought the movie afterwards and my mom was a good sport and watched it with me a couple times even though she hated watching movies that had that level or close too horrible things happening in it. Its one of those movies everyone really needs watch. Its just so really hard to understand how anyone could be that horrible. Since then I've watched so many documentaries on the Holocaust and read so many books.  There's also a really great two part review on the movie by Brandon Likes Movies on Youtube.

18 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@JordynDarby5,  I just signed up with Peacock mainly so I can watch Psych 2: Lassie Come Home.  I wish you could watch it with your mom.  :hug:

Thanks. I hope you able to watch the movie real soon. I saw it and it was real good. I hope you like it.

17 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

My grandmother loved soaps. I got into them later but long after she passed. I was a huge General Hospital, All My Children, and Guiding Light and occasionally watching Days of our Lives, As the World Turns and One Life to Life. I tried to get into the Bold and Beautiful and Young and the Restless but never could. A huge Manny fan and still occasionally rewatch them on Youtube. Sometimes I still really miss some of the crazy storylines. I finally gave up on GH when I realized it was never going to stop being the Sonny-Jason-Carly show which I really hated. 

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 4

On 7/16/2020 at 6:40 AM, Jana814 said:

Steve has a problem when people don’t spend hours a day reading the Bible like he does. He doesn’t get that people can enjoy many things and still be a good person. 

I’ll go so far as to add “and be a good Christian.”  So there, Steve. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

My aunt was my babysitter when I was young and she and another aunt were die hard All My Children, Days of Our Lives & General Hospital fans. That means I started watching soaps when I was young. 

I was over them by my mid-20's though. General Hospital & Days of Our Lives were my choices. I gave up on General Hospital when Luke & Laura left the first time in the 80's. I kept up with Days of our Lives until Sami, Austin & Carrie were constantly swimming in a cesspool of absurdity. In the early 90's I think. 

I have fond memories of the Bo & Hope story line as it started while I was in high school, and we were all just getting VCR's and could record it & keep up rather than waiting for summer. At my 25th high school reunion a whole group of us got into discussions about them and the songs - particularly Holding Out For A Hero, which some remembered as being from Bo & Hope's wedding & some said it was from Bo & Larry's wedding. It was actually Bo & Hope riding away from Hope & Larry's wedding after he "kidnapped" her, so we were all wrong.

But, anyway. Soaps were fun. Then. I could never tolerate them now. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, Hane said:

This is similar to what our family did with “Saving Private Ryan.” Our son was probably 12 when he asked to rent it. My grandfather landed in Normandy on D-Day +2 and our son was very interested learning all he could about WWII.  I had him read letters my grandma had received from Grandpa while he was away. We talked about the real fear these young men felt, the real lives they left behind. Six years later, we were actually able to visit the beaches of Normandy and it was such a moving experience. 

• Love 9

On 7/16/2020 at 2:32 PM, Hane said:

In the early 90s, I took a couple of staycation days, and spent the day hours alone, while kids went to daycare and husband to work. I read one of Anne Rice’s  vampire books, rented Schindler’s List and made/consumed paella. Good times were had! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

My aunt was my babysitter when I was young and she and another aunt were die hard All My Children, Days of Our Lives & General Hospital fans. That means I started watching soaps when I was young. 

I was over them by my mid-20's though. General Hospital & Days of Our Lives were my choices. I gave up on General Hospital when Luke & Laura left the first time in the 80's. I kept up with Days of our Lives until Sami, Austin & Carrie were constantly swimming in a cesspool of absurdity. In the early 90's I think. 

I have fond memories of the Bo & Hope story line as it started while I was in high school, and we were all just getting VCR's and could record it & keep up rather than waiting for summer. At my 25th high school reunion a whole group of us got into discussions about them and the songs - particularly Holding Out For A Hero, which some remembered as being from Bo & Hope's wedding & some said it was from Bo & Larry's wedding. It was actually Bo & Hope riding away from Hope & Larry's wedding after he "kidnapped" her, so we were all wrong.

But, anyway. Soaps were fun. Then. I could never tolerate them now. 

I started at age 11 on Days of our Lives. Around the time Carly was buried alive by Vivian. Then when Marlena was possessed by the devil I realized how silly it was. But I still watched. Until I graduated high school. After that I might catch an episode here and there. But it had lost its appeal. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic