IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, llucie said:

Erin calls Everly Evy, Everly was just not cuting it in the cutesie department.

I have a cousin who named her daughter Everly— she also calls her Evie. I reeeaaally hate the name Everly— way more than Khloe. 

• Upvote 2

I wonder if she loses the accent now that people are pointing out it would technically be pronounced as Khlo-AY? I doubt it, but it's a thought. 

• Upvote 11

Ok I have resisted posting a picture of my fur baby on FJ but I can no longer. Here's why it's relevant - this cutie's former name was Kloe. Sorry, but no. We changed it immediately.   (Also so she could start a happier life with us)

She is now HRH, Princess Peach. And the absolute joy of my heart. 

IMG_6208.JPG.1037fa6b2eff31cfe8bf3cdc4a68e8ef.JPG

• Upvote 3
  • Love 33

11 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Ok I have resisted posting a picture of my fur baby on FJ but I can no longer. Here's why it's relevant - this cutie's former name was Kloe. Sorry, but no. We changed it immediately.   (Also so she could start a happier life with us)

She is now HRH, Princess Peach. And the absolute joy of my heart. 

IMG_6208.JPG.1037fa6b2eff31cfe8bf3cdc4a68e8ef.JPG

Look at that sweet little face!!!

We kept the name our dog was given at the shelter. It’s likely a “cutesy” name to some people because it ends in an “i”, but it’s also the name of one of the dwarves from “The Hobbit.” And it just fits her somehow. And our daughter sounds French when she says it angrily for some reason and that just makes me laugh. And it gave us multiple fantastic and weird nicknames we can use because she’s just OMG SO FUCKING CUTE that I can’t help myself!!! ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, neurogirl said:

We changed it immediately.   (Also so she could start a happier life with us)

My sweet boy was bounced from another home. He's an 80 pound linebacker. The previous family named him, Nouveau. When I was bringing him home, I said he needed a strong name, like Nicky, Louie, Sammy, or Benny. I renamed him and he answered to the new name immediately. Just for grins, I've called him Nouveau a few times, he doesn't react at all. I've also called him by the name they called him at the track: no reaction. My mom says that's because he was just waiting for me.

• Love 15

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Look at that sweet little face!!!

We kept the name our dog was given at the shelter. It’s likely a “cutesy” name to some people because it ends in an “i”, but it’s also the name of one of the dwarves from “The Hobbit.” And it just fits her somehow. And our daughter sounds French when she says it angrily for some reason and that just makes me laugh. And it gave us multiple fantastic and weird nicknames we can use because she’s just OMG SO FUCKING CUTE that I can’t help myself!!! ?

So did we. The woman at the shelter said we could change her name but she'd already been through so much and was 7 years old we weren't make her go through make her change her name. I don't think we ever would picked Lucky (except maybe during the height of my General Hospital obsession) but since I would have gone with Luke if we could name a boy dog for Luke Skywalker (Leia for a girl of course) its really amazingly close. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

So did we. The woman at the shelter said we could change her name but she'd already been through so much and was 7 years old we weren't make her go through make her change her name. I don't think we ever would picked Lucky (except maybe during the height of my General Hospital obsession) but since I would have gone with Luke if we could name a boy dog for Luke Skywalker (Leia for a girl of course) its really amazingly close. 

My cats are Luke & Leia. Our dogs were Yoda and Anakin. If I ever have another dog (gee I hope so) I'm going to have to think long and hard about names. 

PS...IF and when I get another doggo or two, they WILL be rescues. #adoptdontshop

Edited by feministxtian
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 4

If they would just spell the future girl baby's name the proper way:  Χλοη     [Chi-lambda-omicron-eta)

we'd have no issues.  : )

The name means "green shoot of a plant in spring" and is one of the nicknames of Demeter, goddess of fertility.

[obviously the Bates' favorite Greek goddess !]

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 17
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Chloe with a K and avec accent mark is as bad as Spurgeon and Axton Maxwell. Awful, just awful. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Veterinarian here and I have to jump in to speak out against the name Lucky. It is cursed.

Also speaking out against unnecessary punctuation, including accents. Boo hiss.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

On 7/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, princessmahina said:

I have a cousin who named her daughter Everly— she also calls her Evie. I reeeaaally hate the name Everly— way more than Khloe. 

My granddaughter is named Everly.  It grows on you unlike my other granddaughters name Agatha.  Yikes.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

On 7/25/2019 at 7:32 PM, habert said:

Not to derail snarking, or even to express my own opinions about Khloe as a name, but as for the spelling of K or C there’s a non-linear history here of the transliteration of Greek “k” into “c” in English. See Cassandra(my name :))/Kassandra. I would say it’s not more or less “correct” to spell either name one way or the other, but Chloe and Cassandra were adopted as “correct” in English. 

In any case, I seriously doubt Kris or Whitney cared about that when naming their daughters. The accent is also...so left field lol. 

Ahh, but Chloe has a Greek chi, not a kappa. It's actually a gutteral sound in modern Greek but never mind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_(letter)

Chloe means green - you see the root in words like chlorophyll and chlorine. Pretty much any Greek word with a ch to represent chi is pronounced as a K in English. (charisma, chasm, chaos...so many great words!)

/etymology nerd

Edited to add: I think the accents are attempts to indicate the vowels are pronounced separately, not as a dipthong. The traditional way to do this would be with the umlaut thing: Zoë, Chloë. As a Canadian, I have it drilled in me to pronounce é the French way and I can't change now, dammit!

Edited by PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea
forgot a thought!
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

In Dutch we do use the 'ch' sound a lot, it is the gutteral sound our language is known for but we indeed also use it for Greek words like charisma and chaos.

But Chloe we would pronounce with a K because it is a name that came to our country via American culture ?

• Upvote 4

I had a friend who named her daughter Kourtney.  And another who named their daughter Alivia.  Both names make me stabby.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

On 8/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, Nodaknorskie said:

My granddaughter is named Everly.  It grows on you unlike my other granddaughters name Agatha.  Yikes.

I personally like Agatha more but I'm pro old-lady names. Except Gladys, Ethel, and Mildred - I just can't wrap my head around anyone thinking those sound good.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

39 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I personally like Agatha more but I'm pro old-lady names. Except Gladys, Ethel, and Mildred - I just can't wrap my head around anyone thinking those sound good.

Same here. Agatha is a classic name. It may be never be “trendy” again, but it’s solid and everyone has heard of it. Everly is extremely dated and will just sound even more ridiculous in the future than it does now. 

Old people names ftw! 

• Upvote 4

Just now, princessmahina said:

Same here. Agatha is a classic name. It may be never be “trendy” again, but it’s solid and everyone has heard of it. Everly is extremely dated and will just sound even more ridiculous in the future than it does now. 

Old people names ftw! 

See I think of Everly as a very new trendy name instead of an old lady name. Probably because I had never heard of the name until Erin picked it. Beverly I would say is old lady, but not Everly. Agatha is not my taste but I would agree that it’s much better than Gladys and Mildred!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, LSUlover said:

I had a friend who named her daughter Kourtney.  And another who named their daughter Alivia.  Both names make me stabby.

See, I look at the name Alivia and think "Alive-ee-ah."

• Haha 3

Whoops! Wrong thread! 

I am so tired and out of it today! Blah...

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

On 8/8/2019 at 11:14 AM, JanasTattooParlor said:

See I think of Everly as a very new trendy name instead of an old lady name. Probably because I had never heard of the name until Erin picked it. Beverly I would say is old lady, but not Everly. Agatha is not my taste but I would agree that it’s much better than Gladys and Mildred!

Yes, that’s what I mean by “dated.” It’s very much a name of this time. Like Ashley and Jennifer were in the 80s/90s. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/8/2019 at 9:31 AM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

One of my grandmothers has one of those names. Should I ever be lucky enough to have a child, let's just say it will NOT be named for any of my relatives. My family tree is full of names that are similarly bad and do not fit my naming style at all.

• Love 1

Last night Up aired a 'new" special about the vow renewal. I'm scratching my head at this. First of all hasn't this been covered ad nauseam? Second, how the hell was this a new episode? It couldn't have been! Didn't this happen like a year ago? I think they are stealing a page out of the duggar method of re-hashing every damn thing and dragging it out for years. ?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Ethel is so cute to my ears. But this is another example how names are ingrained in one's culture. It is only through contact with English-speaking culture/tv show/forums/etc that I learned Ethel was a name from an older generation in the anglosphere. The same for Agnes, which I love in French. It is only thanks to Anglo TV shows that I learned that is was considered ''old'', not to mention that awful awful pronunciation in English. Ugh.

In French, both of these names are on the ''rarer'' side, but not necessarily labelled ''old''. Whereas I have seen young people in the US named Yvonne and here it would NEVER even be phantomable. Someone named Yvonne was at least borned in the 1930's in my mind.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic