IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I think I’d be the kind of person who’d want hardly anyone present while I give birth (if I ever have kids, which is a big if). A midwife and my husband would be a big enough “crowd” for my taste. I can’t really imagine feeling at ease with so many people, especially a photographer and my husband’s family, watching. But that being said, the photos turned out lovely and everyone seems blissfully happy. That’s all that counts! Different women feel comfortable in different circumstances... 

I had one OB and one Nurse and that was enough for me. I’m one of those women that still cared about who saw me naked even while in intense pain. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, I would caption this pic "My in-laws have no boundaries."

Spoiler

Screenshot_2019-11-12-14-47-28.png.2ca15fbd875db5ce5ee34bd7d53ae807.png

I think that's Erin and maybe Carlin? peeking around the privacy curtain. Otherwise, I think that's actually a really lovely picture of the new (for the third time) parents. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

With my first labor, I was feeling self conscious. But I blame the old style tv in the room. It was directly opposite of me and turned off. So it was basically a fun house mirror of my spread eagle crotch. I don’t recommend it.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 23
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2019 at 8:08 AM, Bobology said:

*I have nothing against 'Michael' for a girl, but it's not what they intended, therefore stupid, and they were too cheap to pay to have it corrected to what they wanted. At least it still has a typical spelling.

What's the story behind her name?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mollysmom said:

What's the story behind her name?

IIRC, she was born Michal Christian. They heard the name Michal in the Bible and they liked the sound of it. I imagine this was near the beginning of their fundie life. After they named her, they realized they didn’t actually much like the person named Michal in the Bible and wanted to change it. They realized it would be cheaper just to change one letter of her name instead of her whole name. So they added the e to make it Michael Christian Bates. So her legal name is Michael, although they call her Michaela.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

On 11/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, FluffySnowball said:

I think I’d be the kind of person who’d want hardly anyone present while I give birth (if I ever have kids, which is a big if). A midwife and my husband would be a big enough “crowd” for my taste. I can’t really imagine feeling at ease with so many people, especially a photographer and my husband’s family, watching.

When my niece gave birth to her first child, my SIL talked about all the people in the room that were watching, like she was on display.  Niece gave birth in the same hospital floor her MIL worked and made it sound like everyone on the floor was in the room.   I sure hope niece was OK with that or it was just the way SIL talked about it, because it made me cringe a bit.

Will say, the picture, sans in-laws peeking behind the curtain, is a nice one of Zach and Whit.

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 4

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

IIRC, she was born Michal Christian. They heard the name Michal in the Bible and they liked the sound of it. I imagine this was near the beginning of their fundie life. After they named her, they realized they didn’t actually much like the person named Michal in the Bible and wanted to change it. They realized it would be cheaper just to change one letter of her name instead of her whole name. So they added the e to make it Michael Christian Bates. So her legal name is Michael, although they call her Michaela.

The sad thing is though that Michal from the bible did not get any children, assumed as a punishment from God.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 9
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

The sad thing is though that Michal from the bible did not get any children, assumed as a punishment from God.

They don’t believe in jinxs, do they? 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I hope not. But it is still sadly ironic.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I really don't have anything to say, but I just felt compelled to comment when I saw this because...jinx. "Those are the rules of jinx and they are unflinchingly rigid."

But, seriously, I hope that they don't believe they are being punished in some way.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

The name thing is why in Judaism, we don't name babies after people that have died tragically or prematurely. It's a bad omen. You would never name a baby Sarah if your grandmother, Sarah, died at 45 from cancer. It just wouldn't happen. That's a name burden. It's a superstition but it's one I like. I was named after someone and I can see a lot of parallels. Purely accidental ones too. Since I've never met that person. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

The name thing is why in Judaism, we don't name babies after people that have died tragically or prematurely. It's a bad omen. You would never name a baby Sarah if your grandmother, Sarah, died at 45 from cancer. It just wouldn't happen. That's a name burden. It's a superstition but it's one I like. I was named after someone and I can see a lot of parallels. Purely accidental ones too. Since I've never met that person. 

Oops, my parents must have not gotten that memo. My sister and I are both named after our grandfathers who died at 32 and 41 from Cancer. However no one is named after my grandmother’s 9 year old brother who drowned because that would be considered to be passing on the bad luck.

• Upvote 2

@OyToTheVey as a fellow Jew...I have never heard of this. I, my sister, and all of my cousins on my mom’s side are named after family members that were killed in the Holocaust. My grandmother had no problem with all of us being named for her family, and she was the daughter of a rabbi! Then again, she was always irreverently sneaking bread during Passover ❤️

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

8 hours ago, TheRadleyPorch said:

@OyToTheVey as a fellow Jew...I have never heard of this. I, my sister, and all of my cousins on my mom’s side are named after family members that were killed in the Holocaust. My grandmother had no problem with all of us being named for her family, and she was the daughter of a rabbi! Then again, she was always irreverently sneaking bread during Passover ❤️

As my dad always says, if no one sees, you still keep Kosher for Passover. But he's also very Ukrainian/Russian and has no problem with lard ??

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, TheRadleyPorch said:

That's different. A lot of people say that the "don't name after someone who died young" rule is suspended when someone dies "al kiddush Hashem", as a sanctification of G-d's name; i.e. because they were Jewish.

And you can get around it by using a slightly different name, too, or adding a name, so to use @OyToTheVey's example, if you wanted to name after Sarah who died young you might name your daughter Chaya Sarah; Chaya being a name that means "life".

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

My guess would be that they read some of the edited versions that would be church approved. I can think of quite a few things in even classic literature that would be inappropriate in the IBLP mind. 

Hey, I know that book. There was a Wishbone episode! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Angelface said:

Yes he is. 

Thank you. I thought he was a volunteer or something. Maybe I was confusing him with John David Duggar (and I still don't kmow exactly what John David does with the police department, lol).

Edited by KeepUnsweet
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KeepUnsweet said:

Thank you. I thought he was a volunteer or something. Maybe I was confusing him with John David Duggar (and I still don't kmow exactly what John David does with the police department, lol).

Several of the Bates boys and John David Duggar are constables, which is a volunteer job with some limited training.  In the US there no consistent use of the office of constable, as some jurisdictions use them as volunteer police, service processors, traffic detail, etc. 

Zach actually went through and graduated from the Blount County Police Academy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

Whit's story today has them taking Khloe to a chiropractor :pink-shock:

How is this shit legal?

• Upvote 2
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2

I'm still so confused what the heck a chiropractor is DOING with the baby????

Adults: physical therapy, stretching, back adjustments, posture lessons, usually as a result of headaches, back pain, physical injury rehabilitation, sleep apnea problems, posture or spine issues

How can this be applied to a baby?

I have a feeling this chiropractor is not really a chiropractor? More some kind of woo factory? 

• Upvote 3

The chiropractor discussion happened already with Willow. Some people say that chiropractors specialized in babies help newborns who suffered traumatic births or who cry a lot for no apparent reason (reasons are supposed to be poor postures or back pain etc). Other people say chiropractors can damage newborns. 

Taking newborns.to chiropractors is probably a trendy thing. Anyway, Whitney goes to real doctors for her pregnancies and her kids go to real pediatricians (seen in IG), so I'm not worried about Khloé's healthcare.

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic