IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

My personal issue with spicy food is often not so much that it's spicy, it's that the food that is spicy around here (e.g. food from Indian restaurants) often have tree nuts in them and I can't tell the difference between the spicy reaction and an allergic reaction.  I have other issues with Indian food that I have had, but the spice and nut issue is definately one of them.

Also while I don't mind a bit of spice, there is a certain point where it just overwhelms the food for me.

• Upvote 3

I know I am late to the thread, but I saw a few snark posts about Jill's portions (the two pizzas and the big potato dish earlier this week).

I swear... you should see how me and Mr. Music cook. We live just the two of us and always cook recipes (main dish and sides) for at least 4 people and sometimes even 6. We actually plan for the leftovers. Neither of us have a cafeteria where we work, only microwaves. Which means we have to bring our own lunch. The lunch is often what we ate the night before. So much simpler than putting together a sandwich or salad before going to bed.

I could easily see Jill making big portions and prepare a lunch if Derick's spending the next day on campus. I used to bring my own lunch when in college, because the cafeteria was expensive. And even if it is not for Derick (has we saw he has now finished his semester), leftovers are WONDERFUL. How many times have just re-eated some stuff for a fast and easy saturday lunch?

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

I know I am late to the thread, but I saw a few snark posts about Jill's portions (the two pizzas and the big potato dish earlier this week).

I swear... you should see how me and Mr. Music cook. We live just the two of us and always cook recipes (main dish and sides) for at least 4 people and sometimes even 6. We actually plan for the leftovers. Neither of us have a cafeteria where we work, only microwaves. Which means we have to bring our own lunch. The lunch is often what we ate the night before. So much simpler than putting together a sandwich or salad before going to bed.

I could easily see Jill making big portions and prepare a lunch if Derick's spending the next day on campus. I used to bring my own lunch when in college, because the cafeteria was expensive. And even if it is not for Derick (has we saw he has now finished his semester), leftovers are WONDERFUL. How many times have just re-eated some stuff for a fast and easy saturday lunch?

I'd like to add that with little kids left-overs are a life-saver. Even if they refuse to eat what's left from dinner the night before (because they want cheese strings or chicken nuggets...), you at least don't have to cook yet another meal for yourself. If you have left-overs, it's so easy to create new meals with less effort than it would take if you had to cook everything again. Some left-over chicken? Stir-fry some bell peppers, add fresh herbs and make Fajitas. Some rice left? dice veggies, stir fry, add rice, curry, paprika, spices and you have a delicious veggie pilaf. Left over pasta? Use some milk, cream, fresh herbs, spices, tomato paste, add cheese and throw it in the oven to bake. Left-over oven vegetables? Roast some garlic, onion, throw the veggies in, add water and stock, blend and you have roasted veg soup. Add some garlic bread and you have a nice filling meal and no food needs to go to waste. 

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I'd like to add that with little kids left-overs are a life-saver. Even if they refuse to eat what's left from dinner the night before (because they want cheese strings or chicken nuggets...), you at least don't have to cook yet another meal for yourself. If you have left-overs, it's so easy to create new meals with less effort than it would take if you had to cook everything again. Some left-over chicken? Stir-fry some bell peppers, add fresh herbs and make Fajitas. Some rice left? dice veggies, stir fry, add rice, curry, paprika, spices and you have a delicious veggie pilaf. Left over pasta? Use some milk, cream, fresh herbs, spices, tomato paste, add cheese and throw it in the oven to bake. Left-over oven vegetables? Roast some garlic, onion, throw the veggies in, add water and stock, blend and you have roasted veg soup. Add some garlic bread and you have a nice filling meal and no food needs to go to waste. 

Yes!!!! This was my life during tax season. I’d cook a full recipe dinner - like stew or chili or homemade Mac and cheese with roasted veggies in it - early in the week and it’d give my daughter and I leftovers for lunch or dinner most of the week. We do that the rest of the year too, but it’s easier to cook more often when my husband is actually around to help cook or entertain the toddler. I can’t emphasize enough just how big a help it is to just reach into the fridge and heat some home cooked leftovers up when you have a tiny tyrant screaming at you. ?

If this is what Jill does with their meals then I’m not going to fault her. I might actually high five her because it’s a wicked smart move when you have small kids and want to save a bit of time.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Speaking of eating Play-Doh, that reminds me of how when we were in first and second grade we'd eat school paste.    Do they even make school paste anymore?

Yes!! I used to eat it too!! It smelled SO good!!! I still remember my kindergarten teacher telling me to "stop eating the paste!"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Izzy went to campus with Derick. 

Aw! Look at that smile! He has such a great little smile - it really lights his whole face up in the best way. 

I really hope his parents eventually decide to send him and Sam to an actual school. I could see Jill being able to teach them the basics of reading, math, and writing. And I think someone here confirmed Jill was using decent enough materials (I think she posted the materials on her stories a while back.) I doubt he’ll ever be a #futurelawhog like his dad appears to hope if his entire education is at the SOTDRT

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

School paste in the fifties had a peppermint smell/flavoring. Tempting, but I didn’t eat it. Today, it’s all about the glue sticks. Nothing yummy about them at all.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

We have a community food pantry here. Usually someone will post on the FB community group if it gets empty. In my case it doesn’t concern me who takes from it, as they obviously needed it or wanted it when I didn’t. I’ve donated there a few times. I was actually just looking in my pantry the other day and noticed some things I’ve bought I’m apparently never going to use and should take over there before they expire. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yes!!!! This was my life during tax season. I’d cook a full recipe dinner - like stew or chili or homemade Mac and cheese with roasted veggies in it - early in the week and it’d give my daughter and I leftovers for lunch or dinner most of the week. We do that the rest of the year too, but it’s easier to cook more often when my husband is actually around to help cook or entertain the toddler. I can’t emphasize enough just how big a help it is to just reach into the fridge and heat some home cooked leftovers up when you have a tiny tyrant screaming at you. ?

If this is what Jill does with their meals then I’m not going to fault her. I might actually high five her because it’s a wicked smart move when you have small kids and want to save a bit of time.

Yes! I do this often too. I also love doubling or even tripling a recipe (that freezes well) and splitting it into foil casserole dishes for our deep freezer. My husband's schedule is very random and demanding, and it helps SO much having meals already made for my toddlers and I when he's working out of town or late nights. I hope that is what Jill does too with all of her leftovers. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

If you make it at home it's generally edible, especially the stuff with the kool aid, though it basically tastes like salt. 

But... but then I'd digest the kool aid! Oh no!

• Haha 6

On 5/9/2019 at 12:19 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Okay I just need to talk about Derick's mom for a moment, first did anyone else notice how she was commenting all over Jill's post about Derick graduating. I was lady not your post dang. 

okay but really why I came here is because of this picture she just posted, at first I thought it was like a little free library or something and I was thinking cool. then I looked closer and read it's a community pantry. first of all her post sounds condescending but secondly who has a food pantry out in the open in the middle of their community. that seems like a deterrent to people getting help. who would want to walk up to that to get food out in the open. I can see it pushing more people away then helping. 

We have those here,too.But,here,they're called "Blessing Boxes".Take what you need,leave what you can.

I have donated to the local blessing boxes.Sure,they are people who take advantage.We have people that take advantage of PIF sites ,here,too.It's going to happen,unfortunately.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, melon said:

We have those here,too.But,here,they're called "Blessing Boxes".Take what you need,leave what you can.

I have donated to the local blessing boxes.Sure,they are people who take advantage.We have people that take advantage of PIF sites ,here,too.It's going to happen,unfortunately.

it wasn't so much the boxs that got me. it was more the way she worded that post in the oh look at us way and the fact that she even felt the need to post it. it just came of so upper handed and snobby. 

I Honestly didn't realize these things were so prevelent and I see nothing wrong with them I just don't like Derick's mom lol

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 5/10/2019 at 7:49 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

I hate it when people have that attitude about their children's dental health. Giving children too many sugary treats early on, helps them develop bad habits later on. Where I live has been voted the worst place for dental health in Europe and it's common for children to have all their baby teeth pulled due to decay as their parents and other adults think it's acceptable to give them endless amounts of sugary sweets and fizzy drinks. When I worked in KFC I used to see customers put pepsi in a bottle for their toddler.

My dentist informed me last week that we (NI) have beat you all (Scotland) for worst teeth in the UK. I think he was being serious too. My FB baby group includes women from all over the UK and in addition to things you have described, most of our babies have just turned one and are having their first dentist visits, they are up in arms at the dentist saying that they really should not be feeding milk anymore after the last teeth brush and instead offer water. Night feeds are their own mommy war argument, but what got me is the women saying "I didn't know a dentist was qualified to tell me about feeding my child" and "I wouldn't listen to them, they don't know what they are talking about anyway, my other child was fine" and of course "Even if, it is just baby teeth". I get that they may think their babies are still hungry and need the food, but uhm...a dentist is more than qualified to say that "you should not feed milk at night because it is major source of cavities". It is kind of what they do. It was really all I could do to not say anything.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

My dentist informed me last week that we (NI) have beat you all (Scotland) for worst teeth in the UK. I think he was being serious too. My FB baby group includes women from all over the UK and in addition to things you have described, most of our babies have just turned one and are having their first dentist visits, they are up in arms at the dentist saying that they really should not be feeding milk anymore after the last teeth brush and instead offer water. Night feeds are their own mommy war argument, but what got me is the women saying "I didn't know a dentist was qualified to tell me about feeding my child" and "I wouldn't listen to them, they don't know what they are talking about anyway, my other child was fine" and of course "Even if, it is just baby teeth". I get that they may think their babies are still hungry and need the food, but uhm...a dentist is more than qualified to say that "you should not feed milk at night because it is major source of cavities". It is kind of what they do. It was really all I could do to not say anything.

That attitude annoys me dentist's are trained medical professionals and obviously know about food and drinks and the damage it does to teeth. If it's not children been given bottles at night to fall asleep with it's often juice in bottles, even sugar free juice can cause tooth rot. I think with some parents they were raised that way and the see other people around them doing it and think it's ok.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I actually like spray cheese. 

Spray cheese on chicken on a biscuit crackers brings me back to my childhood.
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, lizzybee said:

We have a community food pantry here. Usually someone will post on the FB community group if it gets empty. In my case it doesn’t concern me who takes from it, as they obviously needed it or wanted it when I didn’t. I’ve donated there a few times. I was actually just looking in my pantry the other day and noticed some things I’ve bought I’m apparently never going to use and should take over there before they expire. 

This is how I feel about it too. If I donate something it doesn't matter to me who takes it, as long as it is getting used and not going to waste. We are currently donating a lot of non perishable food items since we are preparing to move and can't ship it. In a perfect world it will go to people that need it the most but as long as someone uses it and it doesn't get thrown out I am happy. 

Edited by nvmbr02
typo
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

His follow-ups are less than encouraging, but I was still surprised to see him post so directly about sending girls to college. 
(Not a fan of Derrick. Just wasn't what I expected to see when I looked at his twitter.) 944819773_Capture2019-05-12105131.thumb.png.93caed896e4392543c995233e6c1e5f3.png

Spoiler

Capture 2019-05-12 105332.png

Capture 2019-05-12 105359.png

Capture 2019-05-12 105423.png

Edited by pippi
trying to put images under spoiler so the post isn't giant!! sorry, never done before.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, pippi said:

His follow-ups are less than encouraging, but I was still surprised to see him post so directly about sending girls to college. 
(Not a fan of Derrick. Just wasn't what I expected to see when I looked at his twitter.) 944819773_Capture2019-05-12105131.thumb.png.93caed896e4392543c995233e6c1e5f3.png

Hide contents

Capture 2019-05-12 105332.png

Capture 2019-05-12 105359.png

Capture 2019-05-12 105423.png

Derick is such a fucking little twat, what Jill did can not be considered schooling by any stretch of the imagination.  and the Duggars never would have allowed any daughter, to go to a university. hell I'm still surprised they let Joe go to crown for that short period of time. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Derick is such a fucking little twat, what Jill did can not be considered schooling by any stretch of the imagination.  and the Duggars never would have allowed any daughter, to go to a university. hell I'm still surprised they let Joe go to crown for that short period of time. 

Do you think he really believes they would, or is just being self-righteous/in denial? Especially considering that he's talking about Oklahoma State as his mother's/his alma mater, which is a far cry from Crown...surely he can't think the Duggars would have let a daughter go there!

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, pippi said:

Do you think he really believes they would, or is just being self-righteous/in denial? Especially considering that he's talking about Oklahoma State as his mother's/his alma mater, which is a far cry from Crown...surely he can't think the Duggars would have let a daughter go there!

honestly with Derick I don't know, we know he doesn't care about pissing off JB as seen by previous comments so either he really does believe that the Duggar's would let their daughters go to college, or JB is paying him off to toe the line. 

• Upvote 6

I do think Jim Bob and Michelle, did at least nudge Jill towards the qualification she got and not better midwife qualification. Only one child has went to college so far, Joe and his college is not accredited.

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Michelle's smile isn't even close to reaching her eyes.

I was about to make the same comment...Michelle only rarely appears joyful, and in this case she looks very far from it. OTOH, Jill genuinely looks happy.

I’ve noticed that no one younger than Jinger is into the over-the-top public Michelle adoration. That’s about when she starting outsourcing motherhood.

• Upvote 10

• Georgiana locked this topic