IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

3 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

oh did you catch the part where JB was talking about the young man he was talking to as a teen and he asked him if he had any homosexual tendency's and the guy said his older brothers had molested him. I was thinking. hmm considering your own son you probably shouldn't have brought up that subject. 

Why would he even ask someone if they have homosexual tendencies? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 17

11 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Derick had two genuinely nice posts.  We're all saying positive things about him.  I'm scared.  Someone hold me*.

*But only from the side, of course.

Between Derick’s Mother’s Day posts and Jill’s decent Instagram posts lately, it would appear the Apocalypse is imminent. If Felicity Vuolo starts being pictured without gigantic headbands on a regular basis then I’ll take that as official confirmation. We should all start preparing our filthy little heathen souls to be safe though. May the Rapture odds be ever in your favor!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 26

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?,  I noticed that Christopher Kimball seems to tolerate spicy food better now that he's on Milk Street rather than America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country.  He even seems to like them now.   Maybe he has geographic tongue, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Why would he even ask someone if they have homosexual tendencies? 

Because he’s a creep.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 16
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

So... gelatine vomit, basically?

Some of them are much less disgusting. Here’s the Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jello_salad. They often turn up at our church potlucks because they’re a Lutheran tradition (said somewhat jokingly), but I doubt anyone is eating them in other contexts.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

So... gelatine vomit, basically?

Pretty much. Sometimes they put cool whip on top to make it extra disgusting. 

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Some of them are much less disgusting. Here’s the Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jello_salad. They often turn up at our church potlucks because they’re a Lutheran tradition (said somewhat jokingly), but I doubt anyone is eating them in other contexts.

Being Lutheran, I am offended! No one brings jelly vomit on MY table!

Only wine and bread allowed.

49 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Pretty much. Sometimes they put cool whip on top to make it extra disgusting. 

Thanks to Family Guy, I always mispronounce cool whip as cool hwip...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, finnlassie said:

Being Lutheran, I am offended! No one brings jelly vomit on MY table!

Only wine and bread allowed.

Well, it’s not like we put it on the altar.

• Haha 20

I find it so interesting that people here find gelatin salad gross. I'm Mexican and we have it at parties all the time for dessert. To each their own I guess :)

Edited by anaandrade
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

17 minutes ago, anaandrade said:

I find it so interesting that people here find gelatin salad gross. I'm Mexican and we have it at parties all the time for dessert. To each their own I guess :)

I absolutely love jelly with fruit through it or yoghurt whipped into it, I don't see anything at all weird about it in dessert form - bring on the cool whip ? 

But that picture above looks like it has spring onions and/or peppers chopped into it...I mean...WHY???????

That's a hard pass from Irish Carrie ?‍♀️

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Well, it’s not like we put it on the altar.

My wine and bread rarely goes there as well! :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

Edited by finnlassie
  • Haha 9

Yeah, I am with @IrishCarrie and @anaandrade, I like desert jello salads occasionaly. Bannas or mandarin oranges are quite lovely in jello salad. Meat/meat broth/vegetables in my jello salad? Oh hell, no. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

25 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Yeah, I am with @IrishCarrie and @anaandrade, I like desert jello salads occasionaly. Bannas or mandarin oranges are quite lovely in jello salad. Meat/meat broth/vegetables in my jello salad? Oh hell, no. 

I love fruited jellos too! Yummy! I remember growing up they had some kind of make your own jello that you could shake and get the frothy kind. It was so good. 

• Upvote 4

Y'all ain't from the midwest Jello salad is a mainstay at any and all gatherings.  You ever have Orange jello/creamsicle fluff salad is TO DIE FOR.  Raspberry fluff is yummy and Ambrosia salad with the marshmallows and cool whip. :sleeping-drool: Summer needs to hurry up I'm HUNGRY. 

• Upvote 10
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

31 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Y'all ain't from the midwest Jello salad is a mainstay at any and all gatherings.  You ever have Orange jello/creamsicle fluff salad is TO DIE FOR.  Raspberry fluff is yummy and Ambrosia salad with the marshmallows and cool whip. :sleeping-drool: Summer needs to hurry up I'm HUNGRY. 

Where I live, fluff is either (a) little balls on your jumper or (b) the threads that accumulate in your belly button.

I DON'T WANT EITHER OF THOSE IN MY JELLY DESSERT!!!!!! ?????

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 11

25 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

off to the farm they went. 

Look at them out in the world looking like an ordinary nice family that’s teaching their adorable boys about life and nature. 

Now if they could just quit it with all the hate and dangerous crap they believe and buy their kids a puppy instead, that would be great and apprecited by all.

Also great: if they could try to not aim for the puppy when they go sledding. 

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 5

I wonder if Derick will be starting a summer internship soon. Surprised neither Jill nor Derick have bragged about it yet if so. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I wonder if Derick will be starting a summer internship soon. Surprised neither Jill nor Derick have bragged about it yet if so. 

Wait, work? I’m thinking probably not. That would cut into ...I don’t know. What do the Dillards do ?

• Upvote 10

My most dreaded dish of local cuisine (which I probably tried once and never again): aspic. It's made with the grossest parts of meat (pig legs, skin..) and some vegetables, preserved in gelatin in a most disgusting way imaginable. Google at your own risk.

• Disgust 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

Check out this beauty. ?

Ingredients

2 pork legs

1 pork tail

1 dry pork knuckle

garlic (to taste)

salt and pepper (to taste)

1 pork ear

Spoiler

hladetina.jpg

Edited by zcccrv
Picture put under spoiler.
  • Upvote 1
  • Disgust 16
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, zcccrv said:

Check out this beauty. ?

Do we have to? ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

All this talk about jello salads makes me think of Bruno the Fishing Dog.  

I've not heard the story in years, but this is the gist of it:  Bruno is a Lab or Golden Retriever who spends his summers with his mater's widowed mom in Lake Wobegon.  One day when Bruno was fairly young he accidentally caught a fish.  After that experience, you could not keep him away from the lake as he hoped he catch another.  (Sometimes he did..)  His grandmother had to go to the Twin Cities both to deliver Bruno back to her son and attend the christening of her newest grandchild.  I think the daughter-in-law was Merlene, but I'm not sure.)  The old lady made a jello salad, covered with aluminum foil, loaded the old dog into the car and set of for the suburbs of Minneapolis.  Bruno got car sick on the way and she had to clean things up, but fortunately the jello salad was not affected.   Merlene had done everything up fancy: fancy decor, fancy guests and fancy food (catered!) including this glorious salmon in the middle of the dining room table.  Merlene was not interested in her mother-in-law's jello salad and just put it in the kitchen.  Her mother-in -law and Bruno were in the kitchen so they might not be underfoot.  The mother-in-law knew how much Bruno loved fishing and how he'd likely not have many more chances to catch a fish so she let him loose.  He flew out of the kitchen, jumped on the dining room table, snatched the salmon into his mouth and took off.  Everything was a wreck.  Mother-in-law came out of the kitchen bearing her jello salad and asking 

"Does anyone care for dessert?"

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Love 3

• Georgiana locked this topic