IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Okay I just need to talk about Derick's mom for a moment, first did anyone else notice how she was commenting all over Jill's post about Derick graduating. I was lady not your post dang. 

okay but really why I came here is because of this picture she just posted, at first I thought it was like a little free library or something and I was thinking cool. then I looked closer and read it's a community pantry. first of all her post sounds condescending but secondly who has a food pantry out in the open in the middle of their community. that seems like a deterrent to people getting help. who would want to walk up to that to get food out in the open. I can see it pushing more people away then helping. 

I think it honestly depends on the community you live in. I've lived in places that are on both sides - in the other you're sneered at, whereas the other is extremely open and caring. If you drop to someone that you had to visit the breadline, they're not condescending. And here in Finland Facebook groups that are specifically dedicated for local free stuff to go around are super popular, and food waste groups are on the rise. There's been one unfortunate incident in a food waste group whre someone started to comment that people here aren't poor enough, some are very rich, and they shouldn't be allowed to participate. Oh, son of a know it all bitch, sod off.

• Upvote 12

14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I actually like spray cheese. 

7 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

My mom loved Cheez Whiz on saltine crackers. It wasn't even a guilty pleasure, she would have that as a snack when there was a kitchen full of other, better things. 

Me too. Spray cheese is like my crack. I love that stuff. I don't count it as a guilty pleasure since there's a long list of food and snacks I can't eat anymore because of my stomach issue. Its one of my favorite snacks I can still eat. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Mmmm halloumi! We cut it in really small pieces and fry it until it’s crunchy and then we use it instead of bacon in dishes. It’s also really good barbercued. 

How did I not know this was a thing. I must try it, like today. It sounds delicious.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, finnlassie said:

I think it honestly depends on the community you live in. I've lived in places that are on both sides - in the other you're sneered at, whereas the other is extremely open and caring. If you drop to someone that you had to visit the breadline, they're not condescending. And here in Finland Facebook groups that are specifically dedicated for local free stuff to go around are super popular, and food waste groups are on the rise. There's been one unfortunate incident in a food waste group whre someone started to comment that people here aren't poor enough, some are very rich, and they shouldn't be allowed to participate. Oh, son of a know it all bitch, sod off.

So the rich should not participate in food waste groups then? By what logic (not directed at you @finnlassie, of course) if I may ask?

So, let's assume a person on that group is giving away half a bag of lentils for free as they hate them but don't want to waste food. A "rich" person asks if they could pick the bag up, they live just down the street, and they really just need that one cup of lentils that day and they don't want to waste more food by buying a whole bag and have it (minus the one cup) go stale in their cupboards. It's called being resourceful. Somehow people assume that because people are "rich", they should always buy whatever they need, and are never entitled to share or be happy about freebies etc. because someone else is poorer and deserves it more. But what if that "someone else" hates lentils? Wouldn't that defy the purpose of a food waste group, which is primarily to avoid food being wasted at all? Different example: someone is growing tons of zucchini in their garden and they can barely get people to take them. "Rich" person on food waste group sees it and is excited. "We love zucchini! And it's home grown!". But according to some people's logic rich people shouldn't participate because they could also buy them at the store?! Am I getting this wrong?

How rich is rich? Is someone who lives pay check to pay check in a 1-bedroom-apartment better off, compared to a homeless person? Probably. But are they rich?! Is a family with a double income and single family home rich? Well off, yes, but rich? Are people who are comparably well off not entitled to enjoy freebies, or live frugally, or make sure food doesn't go to waste? 

• Upvote 9

Or you go shopping for dinner and forget to pick up the one bag of lentils you need. (I did that with spaghetti sauce not to long ago). Instead of going all the way back to the store you get it from the community share site. There’s nothing wrong with that at all even though you can afford the lentils. 

• Upvote 5

So I thought the spray cheese was called Easy Cheese?  Do some people say Cheese Whiz in place of Easy Cheese?  I thought Cheese Whiz came in a jar (sort of like a softer Velveeta)?   I had both of these as a kid and probably wouldn't buy them now, but also wouldn't turn them down if offered.  

Found a pic:  Now what is Beqa?

CheeseFaceoff.thumb.jpg.606bc7667f64cfebd5acd081c1d84139.jpgt

Edited by freshlemonade
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

So the rich should not participate in food waste groups then? By what logic (not directed at you @finnlassie, of course) if I may ask? 

So, let's assume a person on that group is giving away half a bag of lentils for free as they hate them but don't want to waste food. A "rich" person asks if they could pick the bag up, they live just down the street, and they really just need that one cup of lentils that day and they don't want to waste more food by buying a whole bag and have it (minus the one cup) go stale in their cupboards. It's called being resourceful. Somehow people assume that because people are "rich", they should always buy whatever they need, and are never entitled to share or be happy about freebies etc. because someone else is poorer and deserves it more. But what if that "someone else" hates lentils? Wouldn't that defy the purpose of a food waste group, which is primarily to avoid food being wasted at all? Different example: someone is growing tons of zucchini in their garden and they can barely get people to take them. "Rich" person on food waste group sees it and is excited. "We love zucchini! And it's home grown!". But according to some people's logic rich people shouldn't participate because they could also buy them at the store?! Am I getting this wrong? 

How rich is rich? Is someone who lives pay check to pay check in a 1-bedroom-apartment better off, compared to a homeless person? Probably. But are they rich?! Is a family with a double income and single family home rich? Well off, yes, but rich? Are people who are comparably well off not entitled to enjoy freebies, or live frugally, or make sure food doesn't go to waste? 

That's the dumb thing. Who's gonna define rich and poor in this situation, and why should it even be defined? And for crying out loud, this woman even sent me a bunch of PMs after I went ham at her, of her singling out people from the group that are more fortunate than other people and are just greedy and stealing from the poor (?? ?? ?? ??). "This is a small city, and believe me, I know people!!!!" The funny part was, I knew a couple of those people, and knew that their families are definitely at least grazing the poverty line. Not that it matters at all. Because that exactly isn't the point in food waste culture. The point is to not waste shit. So many people asked her if she even gets what the fucking point of this group is, if she's even bothered to read the description... And before she left the group for good she went out with what she probably thought was a mic drop (I mean it was, but to a room full of people that don't care), which was basically her going on about us others not understanding how we should take care of those that are doing worse. Bless her heart...

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Lemon and salt? Those Duggars eat some odd things.

honestly when I heard lemon and salt I kept thinking of tequila shots ???

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 22

24 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

When wychling was a baby, we'd frequent a local seafood place.  Lemon slices were served with the fish and chips.  Kiddo would grab a slice, suck on it, make a most puckered-up face, and do it again and again.  Couldn't get her to eat tater tots, though.

14 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Okay I just need to talk about Derick's mom for a moment, first did anyone else notice how she was commenting all over Jill's post about Derick graduating. I was lady not your post dang. 

okay but really why I came here is because of this picture she just posted, at first I thought it was like a little free library or something and I was thinking cool. then I looked closer and read it's a community pantry. first of all her post sounds condescending but secondly who has a food pantry out in the open in the middle of their community. that seems like a deterrent to people getting help. who would want to walk up to that to get food out in the open. I can see it pushing more people away then helping. 

There's a small place like that here.  It usually just has day-old bread, and veggies during garden season.  I don't recall actually seeing people stop and take any, though.

• Upvote 3

We have those pantries around here!  They look like the Little Free Libraries (at least here) because they are the food version of the same thing.  We call them "Little Free Pantries".  And the reason they exist is to allow people to access food with no questions asked.  I didn't know this until recently, but there can actually be a LOT of barriers to accessing food pantries sometimes.  And this can cause people to be without food and without a way to obtain it.  LFPs aren't meant to deter people from seeking aid, but they are meant to fill the gaps for people who don't qualify for many assistance programs, may not generally require assistance, but still may need a short term solution to feed themselves and their families.  So, for example, a family who makes too much to qualify for aid, but still lives paycheck to paycheck and has had their grocery budget slashed due to an unexpected bill.  They don't need food stamps, they don't need regular access to a food pantry, and they don't even need a full cart of food...but they may need a few things to help them fill bellies until the next paycheck.  

And that's another way in which they work: because many of the people accessing them do not have an ongoing need, it's something the community can keep stocked without much of a burden (or large-scale donors).  Also, many of the people using the LFP will restock it themselves when they have the means to do so, which again, generally isn't too far out.  

So they don't replace other, larger food aid services.  They're just a different flavor that is designed to respond to a different problem for the community.  If access to food in this country were as easy as most people think it is, we wouldn't have an issue with dumpster diving.  And anyone who has worked at a place where there is a lot of likely still edible food taken to the dumpster regularly can tell you there WILL be an issue with people trying to get it out.  When a dumpster is your best option for food, that means there is an issue with food access.  Human beings should not be forced to eat scraps from the trashcan in a country that has the means to feed them on a plate.  

34 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I like just straight lemons, but my mom only allowed me to eat them sparingly as a kid because they are a nightmare for your teeth.  Even now my dentist has to discuss my love of acidic foods with me!  Now, it's not like we see Izzy eating these all the time, so I'm not concerned, but I do hope Jill knows that while this is a "healthy" snack in many respects, it's still something to eat sparingly for other reasons.  Sometimes Jill's view of what is "healthy" isn't as nuanced as it could be thanks to that SODRT education, but she does seem to be improving!

• Upvote 10
  • Love 14

11 minutes ago, Granwych said:

ake a most puckered-up face, and do it again and again

Mine did, too and in his twenties he still loves to eat raw lemon straight.

• Haha 3

You'd think with all of Derick's massive dental problems they'd be careful with their kids.  Lemons are terrible for your teeth and mouth tissues (and I say that as someone who really likes eating them).  Hopefully it's an occasional treat, because that poor child already looks a lot like his father.  He doesn't need matching dental work.  

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Me too. Spray cheese is like my crack. I love that stuff. I don't count it as a guilty pleasure since there's a long list of food and snacks I can't eat anymore because of my stomach issue. Its one of my favorite snacks I can still eat. 

I also have a very long list of foods I cant eat due to stomach issues, so any tasty treats that I can have I no longer consider guilty pleasures. I'm working hard enough to keep myself healthy that as long as my weight doesn't go crazy I'm not going to watch calorie counts! I do need to pay some attention to eating balanced and healthy even within my restrictions though or I'll get very lethargic. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

from cheese to lemons. 

Looks like preparation for tequila shots! Teaching them young? ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5

Didn’t Erin just post something about her kids eating strawberries with sugar with a cutesy “who can relate” thing? Why are these women suddenly acting like consuming fruit is an obscure subculture that only the in-crowd gets?

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

actually when I had pneumonia in 2013 i had lemons with pepper 

it actually helped with the coughing 

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Didn’t Erin just post something about her kids eating strawberries with sugar with a cutesy “who can relate” thing? Why are these women suddenly acting like consuming fruit is an obscure subculture that only the in-crowd gets?

Eating fruit, growing/using fresh herbs...all things that are very common, but probably not that common to these women.  I don't think the Duggars or the Bates kids had much access to fresh/perishable snacks when they were growing up.  Those families relied on food they could buy in bulk and store, so that means shelf-stable snacks and canned produce.  And a lot of their friends were probably in a similar situation.  The fruit they had was probably frozen, and they never ate it straight for snacks, but used it to prepare pies and such. Even now, many of their friends may not have the means to buy fruit regularly just for snacks for the kids.  It might be something they buy only when they're planning to make something.  

Kids preferring to eat fresh fruit is super normal, but they may not actually realize just how normal it is.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9

3 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

So I thought the spray cheese was called Easy Cheese?  Do some people say Cheese Whiz in place of Easy Cheese?  I thought Cheese Whiz came in a jar (sort of like a softer Velveeta)?   I

The stuff in a jar, Cheez Whiz, was what my mom liked. Personally I was fonder of the spray kind, but only certain brands. Yes, I am a spray cheese snob. lol

The discussions about food waste and who is poor enough to be involved reminds me of a heated squabble I got into with some people over Goodwill shopping. Seems some ladies got Big BIG Mad over "the rich" shopping there and cherry picking the items before "the poor" could get there. Um. It's a thrift shop. A retail company. The items cost the price on the tag, regardless of your bank balance. 

I like lemons and salt too but I've never felt the need to beg for validation from the internet about it. Can anyone else relate to this? 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

The Duggars’ first book said that the kids liked to eat lemons and limes. They made them brush their teeth afterwards, so Jill should be aware of the enamel issue.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The Duggars’ first book said that the kids liked to eat lemons and limes. They made them brush their teeth afterwards, so Jill should be aware of the enamel issue.

PSA: This is the last thing you should do. If you brush your teeth shortly after eating acidic foods like lemons and limes (and other citrus fruits), you actually weaken your enamel. The best thing to do is to just drink a glass of water.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 12

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Eating fruit, growing/using fresh herbs...all things that are very common, but probably not that common to these women.  I don't think the Duggars or the Bates kids had much access to fresh/perishable snacks when they were growing up.  Those families relied on food they could buy in bulk and store, so that means shelf-stable snacks and canned produce.  And a lot of their friends were probably in a similar situation.  The fruit they had was probably frozen, and they never ate it straight for snacks, but used it to prepare pies and such. Even now, many of their friends may not have the means to buy fruit regularly just for snacks for the kids.  It might be something they buy only when they're planning to make something.  

Kids preferring to eat fresh fruit is super normal, but they may not actually realize just how normal it is.  

I grew up only eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Most of our produce was home grown, in a city yard sized garden (+ 2 grandparents city sized gardens) picked off backyard fruit trees and supplemented by occasional trips to the Farmer’s Market. If it couldn’t be grown in our CA yard, like banana, we rarely ate it. Why? Because my parents were thrifty. We ate what we had. In the summer when we had fresh peaches, apricots and plums coming out of our ears, we dehydrated them in a garden room under screens. While the Bates might have been dirt poor, the Duggars were just poor money managers and lazy. Now maybe you can’t grow anything in NWA, but I doubt it. Perhaps fresh is what more affluent people eat NOW, but back in the day, it’s how thrifty people fed their families.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On fundie tumblr they are thinking Jill is pregnant because a poster found an old post from 2014 where Jill was craving lemons with salt during her pregnancy with Israel 

• Thank You 3

• Georgiana locked this topic