IGNORED

Maxwell 30: Buying a Vest Debt Free

Coconut Flan

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a lot of Eula’s in my family tree. It’s just a weird sounding name so I doubt it will make a big comeback anytime soon. Pronounced you-la. I guess I associate it with Beulah and I’ve never thought that was a nice sounding name either. 

Other names that I don’t think will ever make a comeback: Hortense, Bertha, Myrtle, Cletus, Horace, Eunice, Claude. 

Names that will likely make a comeback at some point: Marilyn, Dorothy, Beatrice, Mabel,  Louisa, and there are lots of others I can’t think of right now. 

Bertha is popular in the Mexican community.  Everywhere I’ve worked there has been a Bertha between 25-40 year a old.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a lot of Eula’s in my family tree. It’s just a weird sounding name so I doubt it will make a big comeback anytime soon. Pronounced you-la. I guess I associate it with Beulah and I’ve never thought that was a nice sounding name either. 

Other names that I don’t think will ever make a comeback: Hortense, Bertha, Myrtle, Cletus, Horace, Eunice, Claude. 

Names that will likely make a comeback at some point: Marilyn, Dorothy, Beatrice, Mabel,  Louisa, and there are lots of others I can’t think of right now. 

I love the name Eula! Eula Biss is a young, fabulous author with that olds fashioned name. My grandmothers are Helen and Elfreda!! She went by Frida :) 

• Upvote 5

One of my grandmothers was Margarethe but went by Gretel.

when I was little I wanted to name a daughter after her and a son Hansel.  I really wanted boy-girl twins for this.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Bertha is popular in the Mexican community.  Everywhere I’ve worked there has been a Bertha between 25-40 year a old.

I think it’s how many English speaking Americans pronounce Bertha that makes it less desirable. I’ve heard it pronounced in other languages and I like how it sounds. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

What names would you like to see come back from the past?   My grandmother's were:  Frances, Cassandra (Cassie), and Millicent, nicknamed "Babe." for some unknown reason.  I haven't heard any of those used recently, and I have always liked Sandra which I think is more 50's era.  

I got talked out of naming my daughter Cassandra and I’m still bitter. ?

My dad and his contemporaries, born in the 1920s in a small industrial Connecticut city full of recent European immigrants, all had nicknames that mostly had nothing to do with their real names. One petite, elegant woman named Marguerite went by “Mugsie” her entire life. Dad got nicknamed “Kingo” as a baby because someone grandiosely proclaimed, “He’s not a prince—he’s a king!” (firstborn Italian son ?) His baptismal certificate (from the Italian Baptist Church—half the old neighborhood converted from Catholicism; long story)—says “Amerigo ‘Kingo’ Lastname.”

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Anna looks incredibly happy/joyful in the photo of her holding Deborah. That may be the happiest I have ever seen any Maxwell. Most of their photos look stilted but I feel like you could feel her love for her niece in that photo. Teri just looks like she was holding a random baby. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

I just read Teri’s addendum to Mother’s day post and started welling up.

from somethibg Teri wrote.

nope, no hormonal at all.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Swelling and welling are diff words
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

My grandma disliked her name which was a very male sounding name and went by a popular name that was related to it from as soon as she was able. Family legend has it that she was named by one of her older sisters after a book character - what amuses me is that I recently looked up her birth registration online and discovered that all of us including her had been spelling it wrongly according to what was on the registration! We made sure to put her preferred name on the plaque. 

My other grandmother was known by both her birth name, Anne, and as Janet after a character she played in a production some time in the 1930s (I think. Might have been later). Both names went on her plaque, as it turned out quite a lot of people had no idea that Janet was not in fact her legal name.

I was surprised when Ivy and Amelia came roaring back into fashion here recently - both seemed incredibly clunky to me growing up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I guess Sarah has been to busy to write this months moms corner. Guess I’m going to have to start reading dads corner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

I am reading the Hidden Library series by Genevieve Cogman at the moment, and I am warming to the name Irene. So I'd like to see that come back.

I actually gave my son two names that were very popular in the 1930s-70s, one of which is now uncommon (except surprisingly in Chinese background families) and the other of which is still ticking along in the top 50. A lot of very 1920s English sounding male names are popular with Chinese background families here I find - pretty much all the Kenneths, Edwins, Ruperts and Adams I know are either over 40 and Anglo or under 10 and Chinese. No idea why, although I occasionally blame Enid Blyton! (Speaking of names that don't seem to be coming back in favour and all.)

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I am reading the Hidden Library series by Genevieve Cogman at the moment, and I am warming to the name Irene. So I'd like to see that come back.

I actually gave my son two names that were very popular in the 1930s-70s, one of which is now uncommon (except surprisingly in Chinese background families) and the other which is still ticking along in the top 50. A lot of very 1920s English sounding male names are popular with Chinese background families here I find - pretty much all the Kenneths, Edwins, Ruperts and Adams I know are either over 40 and Anglo or under 10 and Chinese. No idea why, although I occasionally blame Enid Blyton! (Speaking of names that don't seem to be coming back in favour and all.)

I had a great aunt Irene who had no children. I considered her name for a girl but I had boys. But it’s a pretty name. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I have a preschool so I see all sorts of names. Recently I had a Hazel. I have also had an Alice and a Ruth and a Josephine in the past 3 years.  I love the older names. Josephine was on my short list for my daughter but I was talked out of it.

We ended up choosing a very 1970s name for my daughter, who is 6 years old. Think along the lines of Erin or Kelly. It is the feminized version of my paternal grandfather's name. It suits her very much and she is the only kid with her name in her entire school. 

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I guess Sarah has been to busy to write this months moms corner. Guess I’m going to have to start reading dads corner. 

Off to the pray closet Lgirlrocks, Seriously Dads is for men only which Stevie reminded us about a few emails ago. 

Edited by johnhugh
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

True tale: my folks gave me a middle name to honor BigDaddyJB’s sister. A cousin also had that name  as a  first name. 

I don’t recall why - maybe I already disliked my first name, or I liked hearing the name my aunt & cousin were called, or I just fancied a change -  but in 6th grade I told my teacher, who was new, that I was MiddleName JuneBug. 

All went well until parent-teacher conferences. 

The folks got home and instead of their usual, “Well done, keep up the good work,” they said, “MIDDLENAME? Since when do you go by MiddleName? The teacher started talking about how well MiddleName was doing, and we thought we were in the wrong place!” 

Aaaaaah, good times, good times. ??

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

Bertha / Berthe :

A lady (b. 1920) was named for her mom, Bertha. They were German-speaking so didn’t find the name unpleasant-sounding in the least. But the child went by the affectionate nickname Bunny.  As an adult, outside the fam, she was known as Bert. 

Her oldest sisters were close in age and known as “Pat and Mike” because they were always together in mischief. One kept her nickname her whole life; the other firmly rejected hers in favor of her given name. 

I’ve wondered why the name Beata (bee-AH-ta) hasn’t been more popular. To my ear, it’s simply beautiful. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

<snip>

I’ve wondered why the name Beata (bee-AH-ta) hasn’t been more popular. To my ear, it’s simply beautiful. 

Most people would probably read it as “beater”, to be honest. You’d get away with it in a German speaking country (or in any other country where Beata is common) but not in an English speaking country.

• Upvote 3

On 5/15/2019 at 7:37 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I have a time-traveler name that was big in the '50s. I'll probably fall over the first time I hear of someone naming their kiddo my name. I cannot think of anyone I've met who is younger than me with the same name.

I named my daughter Margaret. I love it. She hates it. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

My great-grandfather wanted to name his first born son, my grandpa, after himself. My great-grandmother hated the name. She said “it was too bad you had the name Milson, but our son doesn’t need to had that name.” Grandpa said his father often smiled when she told that story to friends and relatives. When Grandpa was in his 30’s he applied for birth certificate as he would be travelling out of country. Come to see that his name was registered as  Milson John Andrew. He thought his name was John Andrew. Great-Grandpa registered the baby and kept it his secret. Lol

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

I was in grad school with a guy with a very Italian name ... think Antonio Angelo Carmine ItalianLastName, known as "Tony."

His wife, who was Irish-American, was pregnant.  They had agreed if the baby was a boy to name it after the Italian grandfathers.  The baby's nickname would be Nic.  Wife was totally completely on board with this.

Baby boy is born. The next day "Tony" is at the hospital and asks the nurse about signing the birth certificate.  Nurse says your wife already did that.  Wife named the baby after her brother -- all Irish names, including the Irish last name -- think Patrick Sean Aiden O'Brien ItalianLastName.

Needless to say "Tony" was not happy. At. All.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

When I said that Jessica, Charlotte and Alice were popular I meant that there were three girls with those names in my year. In my tutor group in the first year (tutor group/form being similar to homeroom) there were two of the Jessicas, two of the Charlottes and two of the Alices. Both the Alices were Alice D, to be even more confusing! 

There aren’t very many boy names I like. So, with my luck, when I have kids I will only have boys! :pb_lol: Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care if I have boys, girls or a mix, just that I’d find it harder finding a boy’s name I like. I enjoy writing stories in my spare time and it is no surprise that most of the main characters are girls, and that they tend to have more than one sister :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I was in grad school with a guy with a very Italian name ... think Antonio Angelo Carmine ItalianLastName, known as "Tony."

His wife, who was Irish-American, was pregnant.  They had agreed if the baby was a boy to name it after the Italian grandfathers.  The baby's nickname would be Nic.  Wife was totally completely on board with this.

Baby boy is born. The next day "Tony" is at the hospital and asks the nurse about signing the birth certificate.  Nurse says your wife already did that.  Wife named the baby after her brother -- all Irish names, including the Irish last name -- think Patrick Sean Aiden O'Brien ItalianLastName.

Needless to say "Tony" was not happy. At. All.

As the Irish-American novelist Father Andrew Greeley wrote, “Irish mothers always win when it comes to naming.” He had a minor character named something like Deirdre Rodriguez. I had a super Irish-American colleague who named her kids something like Maureen and Sean DiGiandomenico.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Hane said:

As the Irish-American novelist Father Andrew Greeley wrote, “Irish mothers always win when it comes to naming.” He had a minor character named something like Deirdre Rodriguez. I had a super Irish-American colleague who named her kids something like Maureen and Sean DiGiandomenico.

I wish I could convey to you how personally attacked I feel by this post without doxxing myself. ?

I do have a relative who didn't realize she had given her daughters rhyming names until they were teenagers, because don't all girls' names just end in "-een"? God, my family is such a stereotype sometimes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, VVV said:

I named my daughter Margaret. I love it. She hates it. ?

I found I had to grow into it a little bit, but I love it now as an adult. ♥️

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I found I had to grow into it a little bit, but I love it now as an adult. ♥️

IIRC, we are about the same age? I grew up with several "Maggies" and never thought of it as an old lady name! 

I am in a (not very large) 20s and 30s group and we have two members named Margaret. I also know a 12 year old with the name!

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

IIRC, we are about the same age? I grew up with several "Maggies" and never thought of it as an old lady name! 

I am in a (not very large) 20s and 30s group and we have two members named Margaret. I also know a 12 year old with the name!

I wasn’t clear—I meant my name. I’m not a Margaret, though I do love the name. 

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic