IGNORED

Maxwell 30: Buying a Vest Debt Free

Coconut Flan

My paternal grandfather wanted my parents to name my brother after my dad; he would have been a "IV".  My parents were like - um, NO.  (It's not an attractive name).  Then when they did name him, grandfather wanted them to switch the first and middle so at least the initials would be the same as grandpa - no dice.  I always admired my parents a bit for sticking up for what they wanted with that.

The "Beata" gave me a happy memory - in my high school German class, the teacher had everyone pick a German name and that was our name from the minute we walked in her door.  One of my best friends was Beata.  I was Angelika (pronounced ahn-GHE-lik-a).  I loved it.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, nausicaa said:

IIRC, we are about the same age? I grew up with several "Maggies" and never thought of it as an old lady name! 

I am in a (not very large) 20s and 30s group and we have two members named Margaret. I also know a 12 year old with the name!

My sister Margaret was born in 1957, and her name was big that year. There were three Margarets in her kindergarten class, so the teacher asked, “Who wants to be Maggie, who wants to be Margie, and who wants to be Peggy?” My sister chose Maggie, after our grandma, and Peggy is still Peggy.  (From what I hear, this clever solution probably wouldn’t go over too well in most cases these days.?)

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, Hane said:

My sister Margaret was born in 1957, and her name was big that year. There were three Margarets in her kindergarten class, so the teacher asked, “Who wants to be Maggie, who wants to be Margie, and who wants to be Peggy?” My sister chose Maggie, after our grandma, and Peggy is still Peggy.  (From what I hear, this clever solution probably wouldn’t go over too well in most cases these days.?)

One of my clients her late sister was named Margret but she went by Peggy.  Her sister’s daughter now has a child & her middle name is Margret. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hane said:

I’ve heard similar stories about Patricias choosing between “Pat, Patty, and Tricia.”

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Hane said:

I have a common name and was forced to do the same thing in one of my classes. I wasn’t all that pleased with this solution. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a common name and was forced to do the same thing in one of my classes. I wasn’t all that pleased with this solution. 

These kids were enthusiastic, though. 

• Upvote 4

We have a several Virginias in our family, several Patricias, a Myrtle*, a Theresa, and a Louisa in our family.  Louisa is not a family name, but was chosen because that was the name of John Quincy Adams' wife.  (We had a dog named Abigail after John Adams' wife.  Yes, that's weird.)  Theresa was after a family friend.  She died about 3 months after our Theresa was born so I'm glad we named our daughter Theresa.  My oldest daughter has a name that was one of the most common female names earlier in the 20th Century.  In her high school, she and a classmate friend  were the only two girls in the school with that name.

I was watching The Awful Truth this afternoon and Lucy Warriner, played by Irene Dunne, calls her aunt Aunt Patsy in one scene and Aunt Patty in another.  

@Ozlsn, is the "e' in Irene pronounced in Australia or silent as it is in the US?

*Our Myrtle did nor want any of her granddaughters or great-granddaughters to bear her given name.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Ozlsn, is the "e' in Irene pronounced in Australia or silent as it is in the US?

Any Irene's I've come across in Australia have been called 'Ireen', rather than 'Irenie'.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Another baby girl comes into the world who will have a poor education, who will be told what she is allowed to wear, and who won't be allowed to do what she was meant to do in life.  So depressing and so wrong.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, courtlylove said:

Any Irene's I've come across in Australia have been called 'Ireen', rather than 'Irenie'.

I have never heard it pronounce Irenie!* But, in that vein I remember an MFK Fisher essay where she mentions talking to a young man from <somewhere, not in the US> who said if he ever had a daughter, he wanted to to have the most beautiful name he'd ever seen--Iodine. Except he pronounced it yo-DEEN.

*obligatory earworm:
Sometimes Irene wears pajamas,
Sometimes she wears a nightgown,
But when they are both in the laundry,
Irene is the talk of the town.
Irene, good night, Irene good night,
Good night Irene, Good night Irene,
I'll see you in my dreams

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Usually silent - I have met one person who pronounced it "Irina", I think from a German-speaking background. 

• Upvote 3

I have to admit, I'm partial to old-fashioned names, though there are some that, to me, are far too associated in my head with aged folks to work for a baby.  Though Deborah is way better in my opinion than some modern trends in baby names, as seen here: http://mommyslittlesunshine.blogspot.com/2012/01/29-weeks.html

Spoiler

Sorry, figuring out how to post pics under spoilers. ?

Edited by knitwit
First time trying to post a pic and trying to get it under spoilers
  • Haha 1

The Maxwell's Mother's Day recap is up today.

One of the things that struck me was Sarah's comment about taking a Sunday evening walk.  She said they used to do it every Sunday until  "we switched our schedules around.". 

To each her/his own, but seriously, if one day of the week cries out for letting go of that silly schedule it seems like Sunday is it.  Even God took a day of rest, Maxwells!

The other thing, Jesse was on a trip.  Maybe a courting situation?  But, Joseph and Elisa were gone too, so maybe an IT conference.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

The names I like tend to lean to the classic side rather than old fashioned.  My sons are William John and James Thomas.  My choices for a girl were Charlotte, Margaret, Madeleine and Laura.  Maybe it's because I'm a teacher and I've already had enough -adens in my life but I'm not a fan of trendy names.  And one Brendan ruined every name that started with Br for me.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

*obligatory earworm:
Sometimes Irene wears pajamas,
Sometimes she wears a nightgown,
But when they are both in the laundry,
Irene is the talk of the town.
Irene, good night, Irene good night,
Good night Irene, Good night Irene,
I'll see you in my dreams

OT:  When my grandson was about 2.5, he heard that song and told us, “Irene is a hippo.” We wondered where he’d gotten that idea—then we heard the Raffi kids’ version that lists places where various animals, including hippos, sleep.

• Upvote 2

ok, so since my parents are not godly, i don't have to be grateful or express love/honor to them?  Sarah, please explain your logic; it's as if you are daring me to treat them poorly.  will you then use it as an excuse to judge me?  i hope not, because you *just said* i don't have to honor them.  would it not have been better, Sarah, to just encourage ALL of your readers to cultivate positive relationships with their parents?

We are so blessed to have a godly heritage. I believe as second generation Christians and homeschoolers, it’s easy to take for granted our blessings. I pray each one of you who has godly parents is grateful for that and expresses your love and honor to them.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, catlady said:

ok, so since my parents are not godly, i don't have to be grateful or express love/honor to them?  Sarah, please explain your logic; it's as if you are daring me to treat them poorly.  will you then use it as an excuse to judge me?  i hope not, because you *just said* i don't have to honor them.  would it not have been better, Sarah, to just encourage ALL of your readers to cultivate positive relationships with their parents?

I mean, they clearly did you a disservice by not raising you in a Christ-centered home so...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Dru said:

I mean, they clearly did you a disservice by not raising you in a Christ-centered home so...

Yeah, and look where that got her.  She ended up here :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

The thing that bothered me about the Mother’s Day post was Sarah saying: “We are so blessed to have a godly heritage. I believe as second generation Christians and homeschoolers, it’s easy to take for granted our blessings.”

i know both Steve and Teri believe they were raised in a Christian home but it is still sad. Sarah also doesn’t home school, that we know of. Home schooling doesn’t make you more of a Christian. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I’m Sarah’s age with more than one state university degree, a home of my own, a good marriage, and two kids (one that attends evil public school). I am very glad I wasn’t raised like Sarah. Look where it got her. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m Sarah’s age with more than one state university degree, a home of my own, a good marriage, and two kids (one that attends evil public school). I am very glad I wasn’t raised like Sarah. Look where it got her. 

But Sarah is godly and loves her life. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

That was a passive aggressive, not thinly veiled, insult to everyone not like them. All I can sat to that is thank the flying spaghetti monster I was not raised by "godly" parents who controlled my everythoughtand gave me a misguided see of superiority about who they are.

They changed their schedule and don't walk Sunday anymore. Such a rigid life has to suck. I love living in a way that allows me to go for walk whenever I want no matter what day of the week it is. Or to change my mind and not go for  walk. Whenever. I. Want.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

(Mods, can you remove the mysterious empty quote box above? I fat-fingered on my phone.)

Hi, Sarah! Let me help you finagle this train wreck of a passage into something coherent and logical:

“We are so blessed to have a Godly heritage. [What do you mean by “Godly heritage”? Please clarify.] I believe as second generation Christians and homeschoolers, it’s easy to take for granted our blessings. [That should be “take our blessings for granted.” Why would “second generation Christians and homeschoolers” take their blessings for granted? How could this happen? It’s illogical.]  I pray each one of you who has Godly parents is grateful for that and expresses your love and honor to them.” [Let’s try this, without the redundant “Godly” stuff:  “Always remember to show love, honor, and gratitude to the caring and dedicated people who raised you.”]

Poor Sarah desperately needs a copy editor who isn’t afraid of hurting her feelings.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Removed empty quote box per request
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 5/19/2019 at 12:03 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The teacher should have assigned one of you Marie as a middle name.  Done and done.

• Haha 11

• samurai_sarah locked this topic