IGNORED

Maxwell 30: Buying a Vest Debt Free

Coconut Flan

My name never appears on personalised mugs/pencils/key rings. The first time I did see it on something personalised was when I was in Germany on a school trip, but I had no money to buy it. 

Little Debbie looks like a mixture of Bethany and Tina when they were babies. 

I know it’s not much, but at least she won’t be consigned to ankle length frumpers like NR Anna’s girls are. She’ll be more modern modest. 

• Upvote 8

my name was insanely common in the 70s.  i was 15 before i was in a class that didn't have another girl with my name.  there would be dozens of items made with my name on them, but they sold out fast; many times i'd peruse the keyrings or pencils, and the section with mine was empty.  

• Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not sure. That’s what I was wondering. If it was a family name on Steve or Teri’s side of the family. 

Wait, no. Steve's mom was Mary Ann.

• Thank You 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not sure. That’s what I was wondering. If it was a family name on Steve or Teri’s side of the family. 

So I just spent way too much time obsession over this. Teri's paternal grandmother's name was Carol. I need to get the hell away from the computer now. Lol

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Deborah is definitely a dated name (no offence meant to Deborahs, just the inevitability of name trends!) but Deb or Debbie could be cute nicknames for a little girl. It’s funny that they paired it with Carol, because it really does make her sound like a time traveller from 50 years ago.

I’m glad Melanie and the baby are doing well.

Deborah and Carol were both Top Ten names for baby girls in the 50s and maybe in the 40s as well.  I should know:  I was born in the mid-50s and have one of those names.

Spoiler

It's Carol, fwiw.  A few years ago, I checked the Social Security Index for babies named Carol in the previous year and there were less than 200 baby girls given that name in the whole US for that year.  The name is considered fairly androgynous so maybe it's due for a comeback.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I think the source for Mary's middle name of Carol was not the best - maybe just Fundie Wiki. I remember when, a few years ago, someone posted sources for everyone else's middle names, no middle name was given for Mary.

Does anyone know the source for Carol as Mary's middle name?

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I think the source for Mary's middle name of Carol was not the best - maybe just Fundie Wiki. I remember when, a few years ago, someone posted sources for everyone else's middle names, no middle name was given for Mary.

Does anyone know the source for Carol as Mary's middle name?

I was going by the post here so no idea about the source. It would make sense though given Chris's middle name is Lloyd, which is Teri's paternal grandfather's first name as well as (I think) her father's middle name.

ETA- Whitepages has her middle initial as C, so it could be accurate.

Edited by Dru
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s interesting that Mary’s middle name is Carol since she’s not related to Mel’s mom.

I have one of the most popular names ever, lol. There’s a reason why names become super popular. Because they are good names. Although I did hate having a bunch of girls in my class with the same name. 

Jerm, friend, I hate to break it to you, but “jermajesty” is not that popular.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 36

The first Carol that popped to my mind is Carol Aird (from the beautiful movie "Carol") and she sure as hell wasn't a meek religious helpmeet!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

The first Carol that popped to my mind is Carol Aird (from the beautiful movie "Carol") and she sure as hell wasn't a meek religious helpmeet!

I thought of Carol from the Brady Bunch when I first read the name.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Anyone remember the 1969 movie, Bob and Carol, Ted and Alice? I've forgotten the plot but I think it had to do with two couples getting in touch with their feelings, culminating in a fourway.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2019 at 8:29 AM, PennySycamore said:

Deborah and Carol were both Top Ten names for baby girls in the 50s and maybe in the 40s as well.  I should know:  I was born in the mid-50s and have one of those names.

Hide contents

It's Carol, fwiw.  A few years ago, I checked the Social Security Index for babies named Carol in the previous year and there were less than 200 baby girls given that name in the whole US for that year.  The name is considered fairly androgynous so maybe it's due for a comeback.

I'm finding a lot of names that were popular in the 20s and 30s are making a comeback here as babies are named after their great-grandparents. So 40s and 50s popular names are probably on the verge of a comeback. I have to admit I did a doubletake at the library when a slightly frustrated mother asked her toddler to stop doing something - and the toddler had the same name as me.  Pretty sure that one's not currently in the top 50, but maybe it's coming back too... and then I will know I'm getting old. Heh.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

On 5/14/2019 at 12:10 AM, SPHASH said:

Deborah sweetheart I'm so sorry you were born into a fucked up family.  Better start calling your older sister Abby Mama as she will probably be taking care of you the most.  Hang in there maybe one of your Maher cousins will help you escape when you turn 18.

Maybe Melanie's baby sister Grace will make it big in Nashville and little Debbie can go for a visit and refuse to come back home.

"Dinah" would have been a decent name, too.

Edited by Granwych
Addendum
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I'm finding a lot of names that were popular in the 20s and 30s are making a comeback here as babies are named after their great-grandparents. So 40s and 50s popular names are probably on the verge of a comeback. I have to admit I did a doubletake at the library when a slightly frustrated mother asked her toddler to stop doing something - and the toddler had the same name as me.  Pretty sure that one's not currently in the top 50, but maybe it's coming back too... and then I will know I'm getting old. Heh.

I have a time-traveler name that was big in the '50s. I'll probably fall over the first time I hear of someone naming their kiddo my name. I cannot think of anyone I've met who is younger than me with the same name.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

culminating in a fourway

Anyone else want to know how far in advance Teri schedules those?  And the lessons learned list like she does with holiday meals ...list of things on the menu, how they went, what people enjoyed...

I want to see the file with the dirty stuff documented for next time.  (I'm very punchy atm and this is funnier to me than it should be.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Anyone else want to know how far in advance Teri schedules those?  And the lessons learned list like she does with holiday meals ...list of things on the menu, how they went, what people enjoyed...

I want to see the file with the dirty stuff documented for next time.  (I'm very punchy atm and this is funnier to me than it should be.)

Dirty stuff? At Steve’s house? How on earth would the Maiden Aunts polish that kind of dirt?!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

Not sure if pronunciation of Deborah has been discussed, I was wondering and saw Terri answered:

Screenshot_20190515-223430~2.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

Debbie's birth story is now up.  Carol means joy and it was a middle name of a grandma and aunt and a great great grandma's name.  Wonder Woman Melanie has been pregnant 9 times now.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I’m guessing they mean Deborah’s aunt, since Sarah is always talking about “aunties’ playtime” and so on. Given that we know that Sarah’s middle name is Rae and R-Anna’s is Elizabeth, it must mean that Mary is indeed Mary Carol. Maybe it’s the middle name of one of Melanie’s sisters, but who knows.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Debbie's birth story is now up.  Carol means joy and it was a middle name of a grandma and aunt and a great great grandma's name.  Wonder Woman Melanie has been pregnant 9 times now.

Dear Maxwells: “Carol” doesn’t not mean “joy.” It’s the feminine version of “Charles” (which was “Carolus” in its original form), which means “manly.”

Words have meaning and etymology is a thing. But, hey, if you want to use the name to denote a Christmas-type carol, feel free.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 7

What names would you like to see come back from the past?   My grandmother's were:  Frances, Cassandra (Cassie), and Millicent, nicknamed "Babe." for some unknown reason.  I haven't heard any of those used recently, and I have always liked Sandra which I think is more 50's era.  

Edited by Lady Grass Lake
Changed like to liked.
  • Upvote 5

12 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I’m guessing they mean Deborah’s aunt, since Sarah is always talking about “aunties’ playtime” and so on. Given that we know that Sarah’s middle name is Rae and R-Anna’s is Elizabeth, it must mean that Mary is indeed Mary Carol. Maybe it’s the middle name of one of Melanie’s sisters, but who knows.

Carol is Mel's mom's middle name but not any of her sisters so it must indeed be Mary they are referring to. It's also the middle name of one of Steve's sisters, which didn't help me try to parse that paragraph and figure out if it was supposed to be written from Nathan or Deborah's perspective.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

My grandmothers were named Iva and Myrtle*.  I haven't seen those names come back yet. 

A niece recently unveiled her baby's name as being in honor of a deceased great-aunt.  My MIL didn't have the heart to tell her that the aunt (her late sister) hated her name with a passion, and that it was old-fashioned back in the 1920s when the aunt was born.  It's now making a comeback.

*This grandma used her middle name, Ann.  She was one of several "M" kids, so it was really obvious she didn't like her name.  I wonder how that conversation went with her parents.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

What names would you like to see come back from the past?   My grandmother's were:  Frances, Cassandra (Cassie), and Millicent, nicknamed "Babe." for some unknown reason.  I haven't heard any of those used recently, and I have always liked Sandra which I think is more 50's era.  

I like those names, Sandra slightly less so than the others. Sandra always gets “Sandy” which I’m not hugely fond of, but I don’t mind Frankie/Cassie/Millie. I much prefer Millie to Millicent, Millie just sounds much nicer to me. 

My grandmothers were Janet and Virginia. Virginia is a bit problematic these days, kids would probably just see the word “virgin”. To make matters worse, her middle name is Gay :pb_lol: she was born in 1936 so it just didn’t have the same connotation then as it does now. Other than that, Virginia is quite a nice name. I prefer the sound of it to Janet. 

• Upvote 4

I have a lot of Eula’s in my family tree. It’s just a weird sounding name so I doubt it will make a big comeback anytime soon. Pronounced you-la. I guess I associate it with Beulah and I’ve never thought that was a nice sounding name either. 

Other names that I don’t think will ever make a comeback: Hortense, Bertha, Myrtle, Cletus, Horace, Eunice, Claude. 

Names that will likely make a comeback at some point: Marilyn, Dorothy, Beatrice, Mabel,  Louisa, and there are lots of others I can’t think of right now. 

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked this topic