IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

It depends but usually you can guess by the delivery time. If it is taking a few weeks to arrive it is definitely coming straight from China. If it is quite fast you can expect them to hold a small stock at home.

Or could they be working through a middleman in the US which is storing the stock?  Basically, until I see some Maxwell style photos of them packing and shipping items*, I'm going to assume that all the BatesSisterBoutique is a US-based website front for a  Chinese sweatshop. Make America Great Again, indeed.

*and Michaela also have photographed herself packing and shipping her homemade goods. Which the Bates Sisters Boutique don't even link to. Come to think of it, why is the Bates Sisters Boutique also not linking over to Erin's music CDs?

• Upvote 13

On 4/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I hope they do better with the puppy and give him the love and care he deserves for his entire life and not just while he's a cute puppy.

Considering how they treat their children I wouldn’t hope too much. 

On 4/22/2019 at 4:14 PM, TeaELSee said:

Their online boutique sold out very quickly, granted they did say they were starting off small so we don’t know how many pieces they sold. I am impressed so far, it’s smart to start off slow, the dresses are cute and the prices are surprisingly low.

It would be interesting to have insight to the family reaction if it becomes wildly successful. 

It’s a decent looking page and I did like some of the dresses. I saw everything needed to be handwashed though. Who has time for that?

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Kelly took the younger three girls on a little adventure 

I like that she took them somewhere sporty like this and not somewhere more girly. It looks like fun. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I like that she took them somewhere sporty like this and not somewhere more girly. It looks like fun. 

I agree. But skirts with climbing harnesses? Really? ?‍♀️  Yet another example of skirts that turn out to be impractical and not modest at all (not that I think girls that age need to cover up or be modest for any reasons whatsoever... but fundy logic is weird and twisted).

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

I'm impressed that Kelly decided to spend girl time in an active, sportive activity.  Even if Navitat invited them for advertisement purposes, and maybe even suggested girls going, it's great for the girls to do something out of shopping and nail polishing. 

• Upvote 8

I really wonder who from the Bates family will be at Big Sandy this week.  I expect deflection posts that imply they're somewhere else, but maybe we'll see something on some other accounts.  

• Upvote 5

On 4/26/2019 at 3:39 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Kelly took the younger three girls on a little adventure 

If this adventure wasn’t filmed for the show then I’ll be impressed Kelly did this with her daughters.

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really wonder who from the Bates family will be at Big Sandy this week.  I expect deflection posts that imply they're somewhere else, but maybe we'll see something on some other accounts.  

Don’t they all just refer to it as a Home school conference as a cover?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

If this adventure wasn’t filmed for the show then I’ll be impressed Kelly did this with her daughters.

Don’t they all just refer to it as a Home school conference as a cover?

I'm not aware of the Bates referring to it on their social media at all, but I could definitely be missing something. 

The Duggars have actually been promoting it this year as a "family conference" and make it look like a family summer camp and not a week of crazy indoctrination. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm not aware of the Bates referring to it on their social media at all, but I could definitely be missing something. 

The Duggars have actually been promoting it this year as a "family conference" and make it look like a family summer camp and not a week of crazy indoctrination. 

Their first tv show United Bates, is on Amazon prime. They did an episode all about Big Sandy and reuniting with the Duggar’s. It’s funny, Chad is even seen in the background a few times. 

They may steer away from the subject now though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

32 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Yeah, usually they just don’t mention it at all and post misleading things instead. I’m guessing that “Girls Adventure” post might be one of them. Kelly stated that trip was a few weeks back, so she might have purposely held off on posting about it until Big Sandy was about to start so she’d have another post to make it look like nothing abnormal is going on.

• Upvote 3

Countdown to photos of the Bateses on the Great Wall of China, being totally not at Big Sandy!!!

Their avoidance of talking about IBLP is super bizarre because it's not like they're just semi-regular participants trying to keep it on the DL. They're on the Board of Directors! They're the first speakers on the schedule and present five times during the event! It's a more significant part of their lives than other fundies who happily talk about attending the conferences.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

On 4/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, nickelodeon said:

Their avoidance of talking about IBLP is super bizarre because it's not like they're just semi-regular participants trying to keep it on the DL. They're on the Board of Directors! They're the first speakers on the schedule and present five times during the event! It's a more significant part of their lives than other fundies who happily talk about attending the conferences.

It is odd but I guess they are trying to keep their wholesome image for reality TV and most people who watch the show aren't going to research to find out that they head up a cult. 

Pictures of the annual cult meeting are scarce this year. Gil preached last night and is preaching again tomorrow. David Gibbs, the person Jill's sister works for, is a big speaker this year. For those who don't now David Gibbs runs Christian Law Association, an organization that since the 70's has been defending Christians and Christian organizations who are accused of horrific abuse. They have worked hard to get laws passed in conservative states to make it easier for religious organizations to avoid scrutiny and hide abuse. This is horrific organization and it is no wonder Gil and Kelly like him. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 8

On 4/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, TeaELSee said:

Their first tv show United Bates, is on Amazon prime. They did an episode all about Big Sandy and reuniting with the Duggar’s. It’s funny, Chad is even seen in the background a few times. 

They may steer away from the subject now though.

They also had a long segment of their Nightline appearance that was dedicated to traveling to Big Sandy. If I remember correctly, there was bad weather and they had to wait out tornado warnings in motel lobbies. Later they got there and the reporter commented to the Duggars and Bates that most of the families there were 8-10 children and not closing in on 20. She also specifically asked Kelly Jo about the programming that had girls singing songs about housework and boys getting to do outdoor stuff with ALERT. Kelly Jo brushed that off and said they should consider that for next year. 

Kelly Jo referred to the whole thing as a "boost for their spirits" and being "just like summer camp."

• Upvote 9

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://alertacademy.com/step/&ved=2ahUKEwig3PGIuP3hAhX5VRUIHRb5Ais4ChAWMAZ6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw1FgfVAMSV6QT0JNtOb-ZI7

Alert have a girls' program called STEP- a 3 week outdoor based emergency training program for young ladies over 15.

It's worth delving into some of the subsections -especially the section on dress-    trousers are worn for some activities, and also swimsuits- they must be one piece and t shirt and shorts must be worn over them at all times.

Hope I've got the link correct- you too can read about the modest nightwear required so as not to give offence, and the hemline splits on Sunday dresses to be below knee level.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

23 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://alertacademy.com/step/&ved=2ahUKEwig3PGIuP3hAhX5VRUIHRb5Ais4ChAWMAZ6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw1FgfVAMSV6QT0JNtOb-ZI7

Alert have a girls' program called STEP- a 3 week outdoor based emergency training program for young ladies over 15.

It's worth delving into some of the subsections -especially the section on dress-    trousers are worn for some activities, and also swimsuits- they must be one piece and t shirt and shorts must be worn over them at all times.

Hope I've got the link correct- you too can read about the modest nightwear required so as not to give offence, and the hemline splits on Sunday dresses to be below knee level.

It's nice that they have started that program, but it's a minor addition that feels more like an afterthought. It's doubtful they offer it at the same time as the conference they all attend, as that would mean they would have fewer slaves (volunteers) to look after the youngest children while parents are taking classes. The boys are allowed to take part in activities from the program in part to get them interested in the longer basic training exercises. 

It's not just the sexist part that gets to me. It's the idea that these programs indoctrinate children and limit opportunities. The boys are provided choices that are limited, but still more plentiful than the girls. The "curriculum" for the girls simply reinforces the ideas that they are only good enough to clean, raise children, and be perfect for their husbands someday. 

• Upvote 8

STEP has been around for awhile. Even in the mid-90's they were discussing starting a program like this. 

STEP doesn't replace the forcing girls at the conference to sit inside while the boys get to do fun active things outdoors. I think it is odd they still have pre-EXCEL for girls when they haven't had the actualy EXCEL in years. I taught pre-excel and it was boring as hell. Girls kept going to sleep and I just let them. 

• Upvote 10

On 4/26/2019 at 6:40 PM, Iamtheway said:

It’s a decent looking page and I did like some of the dresses. I saw everything needed to be handwashed though. Who has time for that?

yeah I liked some of the dresses too but all hand wash nope no way no how. 

I really have no life.  I read the supply list for the girls' program (and fear what ads I am now going to see pop up.) My question is---can fundies not use tampons?  Because the list specifically says "sanitary napkins" under toiletries.  I vaguely remember a Q&A session with fundie girls awhile ago and someone asked this---the reply indicated it was a personal choice, but this makes me wonder.

Are tampons somehow defrauding or otherwise satanic?

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I really have no life.  I read the supply list for the girls' program (and fear what ads I am now going to see pop up.) My question is---can fundies not use tampons?  Because the list specifically says "sanitary napkins" under toiletries.  I vaguely remember a Q&A session with fundie girls awhile ago and someone asked this---the reply indicated it was a personal choice, but this makes me wonder.

now don't quote me because I'm not 100% sure on this LOL but I do believe it has to do with them believing tampons will mess with Virginity. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I can only speak for my fundie family. I was not allowed to wear tampons because as a virgin I wasn't supposed to be sticking anything up there. I also wasn't allowed to go to a gynecologist until I got married at 24. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, mollysmom said:

I can only speak for my fundie family. I was not allowed to wear tampons because as a virgin I wasn't supposed to be sticking anything up there. I also wasn't allowed to go to a gynecologist until I got married at 24. 

I went to school with two different Christian girls (who attended public school, wore jeans, had shortish hair, et cetera) whose moms wouldn't let them wear tampons until they were married. I was super shocked when they told me. I also know our local food bank prefers donations of pads because a lot of the women who come in are from cultures where they won't use them, for similar reasons.

And I realize this is way too intimate and absolutely none of my business, but still I have always wondered if any of the older SAHDs are allowed to get a pap smear. Reaching 35 and never having one seems risky to me. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

always wondered if any of the older SAHDs are allowed to get a pap smear. Reaching 35 and never having one seems risky to me

While I agree with you about the risk of not having ginecologist appointments, maybe they can avoid the pap test, because that test looks for papilloma virus and single fundies can't get infected (generally speaking and supposing there is not secret sexual life or sexual abuse involved). 

Of course there are other illness and health issues that benefit of a ginecologist examination. But probably fundies do not consider necessary to visit a doctor unless a woman is pregnant.

• Upvote 5

• Georgiana locked this topic