IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Superficially, sure. I'm wondering though about his specific personal theology.

Because the Mortons may "look" more modern, but they are absolutely NOT more modern. If you haven't dove into the acute neglect, child molestation and incest charges with Bret Alan Smith Jr., and current ongoing disregard for basic child safety (ahem, carseats), I strongly recommend that you do. It's both fascinating and horrifying. I would say the Mortons are easily top 10 in terms of most disturbing families we follow even if you LEAVE OUT that the Bret Alan Smith Jr. stuff.

And if you read Martha’s stories about their childhood, they actually lived in tents at one point when they were building a house. Her stories sound like stories from the Nauglers! Plus we can’t forget that Katie was told to marry Alan. Her father pushed her into that marriage and now we all know what a huge mistake that was.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And if you read Martha’s stories about their childhood, they actually lived in tents at one point when they were building a house. Her stories sound like stories from the Nauglers! Plus we can’t forget that Katie was told to marry Alan. Her father pushed her into that marriage and now we all know what a huge mistake that was.

Those were the exact things I was thinking about! Martha's book and as I recall having merely a trench latrine on the homestead property. It's funny my post-count total is 'escaping mortopia' because I only took the plunge into them a year or so ago. I knew they were nuts and I knew they were neglectful from the thread titles they spawn, but... Oh man. Pages and pages of the Bret Alan Smith Jr. illegalities (which, he initially had a four year sentence and was due to get out in 2020 but more stuff came out in a different county and now it's looking like he won't get out for another 40 years? thank FSM) and the fact that Katie didn't even WANT to marry him in the first place -her dad made the call and poor Katie felt it was her duty to trust her headship. @neurogirlhas also done some phenomenal "Morton data" extrapolation -that was how I knew their offspring trajectory.

Again: If you're a casual fundie follower that tends to stick to the Duggars and the Bates -the Mortons right now are heating up in the kids and the crazy.

Other recommendations for "gateway" fundies: 

The Shupes historically have been serious levels of 'wtf' and then now almost even more so because of an abrupt turn on their heads and placement of their kids in public school, with their oldest child escaping (allegedly she even stopped by FJ) while their second oldest is now engaged? to a hardcore white supremacist and posting white supremacy stuff herself -while that isn't surprising considering her parents, this particular daughter has always seemed rather bookish and so there was a lot of hope she wasn't as nuts as her family.

The Bontragers/Bowers recently (within a few years) married off a pair of sisters and brothers (Bowers sisters to Bontrager brothers) and Bontrager eldest, Chelsy, married John "the stud one" Maxwell.

The Maxwells are 100% nuts but personally, because they're notoriously such boring people, I find them painfully boring to follow. The Bonts are former Mennonites turned Baptists and so it's all of the crazy (and plenty of white supremacy there as well), but at least with good food and board games. They also have an angsty 25-year-old daughter blogging about spinsterhood.

The Frazers are "classic" still frumper wearing (they're described as "frumper-licious") Canadian fundies that additionally head cover. Currently one of their mid-30s SAHD is getting ready to get married to a male from the long-followed Staddon family, although because the bride is Canadian they're having immigration complications preventing the marriage. 

Remember: Regardless as to how modern these people dress and how cute their kids are, they are fundamentalists and dominionist, and their beliefs are 100% a danger to modern society.

*edited to bold for danger

Edited by CaptainFunderpants
  • Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 5

17 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Remember: Regardless as to how modern these people dress and how cute their kids are, they are fundamentalists and dominionist, and their beliefs are 100% a danger to modern society.

Amen! They may ditch frumpers and on the surface look pretty harmless, but these are people who vote to push fundamentalist laws on the rest of us and right now they are doing pretty good at helping get control of America. No amount of cute kids should make us forget how what sort of world they are working to create. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Superficially, sure. I'm wondering though about his specific personal theology.

Because the Mortons may "look" more modern, but they are absolutely NOT more modern. If you haven't dove into the acute neglect, child molestation and incest charges with Bret Alan Smith Jr., and current ongoing disregard for basic child safety (ahem, carseats), I strongly recommend that you do. It's both fascinating and horrifying. I would say the Mortons are easily top 10 in terms of most disturbing families we follow even if you LEAVE OUT that the Bret Alan Smith Jr. stuff.

Oh! y'all i was SO NOT implying that the Morton's aren't still shit lol, just that they tend to meld with whoever's around them. I've heard (though not read myself) about the shit in Martha's book, seen the gun-toting social media posts, Kennedy Morton's toddler-standing-up-in-a-moving-vehicle fiasco, beside the obvious horror of Katie's family. And definitely agree that they're the dangerous kind of nutjobs that claim freedom to do whatever tf they want even if it means endangering their children. I'm just saying, if we're "type"-ing girls, Trace's is obviously the outdoorsy brunette hipster-Christian aesthetic. I'll keep my fingers crossed that if he's with this Chaney girl, she's not quite as fucking nuts as the Mortons and their (new or old) adjacents. 

• Upvote 7

So Trace is commenting on Chaney photos now...I think the chance that they are courting/dating/getting to know are preatty strong, let's see what happen at Carlin's wedding 

Screenshot_2019-05-15-09-11-39.png

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I check the followers and now also the official bates family account follow Chaney's instagram. 

And she follow all the family account I think (first pic those she follow second the one who follow her)

Screenshot_2019-05-15-10-39-23.png

Screenshot_2019-05-15-10-38-57.png

Edited by Italiangirl
Exchange the followers and the follow
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

So Trace is commenting on Chaney photos now...I think the chance that they are courting/dating/getting to know are preatty strong, let's see what happen at Carlin's wedding 

Screenshot_2019-05-15-09-11-39.png

And of course Becky m leaves a comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

And of course Becky m leaves a comment.

Well, you know she can't hold herself. You can't ask her that, is to hard for her,  even if preatty much everyone has block/silent her...

• I Agree 2

How long before Chaney is a featured model for the BatesSistersBoutique?

Where is Chaney studying? She makes several references in her Instagram to "studying" and "semester" and "school papers."

She seems to have numerous friends who attend real universities, like Baylor and Texas Tech.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Maybe he asked her to start courting at Disney and now they are just waiting until after Carlin and Evan wedding to announce.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I wonder if they're going to hold on to the courtship model, especially if Chaney's family doesn't adhere to it. I can see them dating with a purpose and going straight to engagement. I can also see them not saving that first kiss. Just a feeling based on nothing. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

So Trace is potentially dating/courting/whatever a potentially-less-fundie girl. Social media/internet-sleuthing mode on to the max!

• She's from the DFW-area of Texas
  • Her family is baseball-crazy (very north-texas-y). Her dad coaches? 
  • She may-or-may-not go to college based on her occasional posts about studying/school.
  • She knows enough about the world to name-drop *urbandictionary* on an instagram post (lmao) and has a friend who's a professional model. 
  • She has 6 sibs. Her older bro Brance's full athlete profile for University of Incarnate Word is public online it notes that at least he went to HS at a private school, and I'm guessing he graduated from UIW in '16 or '17. it also looks like one of her sisters Brittany went to University of North Texas (per her twitter)? and Bethany got engaged this year (per an online newspaper article)? 
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

So I have to ask, is the name Chaney from a particular language/culture, is it unusual? 

Also, is it pronounced like Chain-nee or Chain-nee?

Also, I can see them doing the official courtship thing because of the show, but it'll be similar to his sister's were they are special friends/dating well before that and the courtship is just some strange phase in that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

So I have to ask, is the name Chaney from a particular language/culture, is it unusual? 

Also, is it pronounced like Chain-nee or Chain-nee?

Also, I can see them doing the official courtship thing because of the show, but it'll be similar to his sister's were they are special friends/dating well before that and the courtship is just some strange phase in that.

I've never met a Chaney. It isn't in the Top 1000 of baby names, according to our Social Security Administration: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/index.html

And I don't see a difference between your two pronunciations.

I'd pronounce it like "Cheney" as in Vice President Dick Cheney, unless I heard different.

I wonder if she went to Grapevine Faith Christian School like her older football playing brother did. https://www.grapevinefaith.com/academics/departments  --all I notice is that the school seems to be blindingly white.

I find it interesting that her older football playing brother went to a Catholic college--I feel that a hardcore fundy Bates-Duggar type kid wouldn't do that.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

She looks to be around the age from when a lot of people in the South (and other places) were giving their children names based on mom or grandma's maiden name. There was an influx of Harrison for boys around that time. I used to substitute teach a few years ago to make extra money. There were four Harrisons, two Carters, and six Averys in one class. I felt sorry for this girl named Bridget because I knew she felt left out. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I've never met a Chaney. It isn't in the Top 1000 of baby names, according to our Social Security Administration: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/index.html

And I don't see a difference between your two pronunciations.

I'd pronounce it like "Cheney" as in Vice President Dick Cheney, unless I heard different.

I wonder if she went to Grapevine Faith Christian School like her older football playing brother did. https://www.grapevinefaith.com/academics/departments  --all I notice is that the school seems to be blindingly white.

I find it interesting that her older football playing brother went to a Catholic college--I feel that a hardcore fundy Bates-Duggar type kid wouldn't do that.

She's an age and location where naming her after the VP wouldn't be surprising. Yay lying warmongers!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

27 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

She's an age and location where naming her after the VP wouldn't be surprising. Yay lying warmongers!

Didn't occur to me that it's been 20 years. You're probably right.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

But wouldn't they spell it correctly if so?  Dick Cheney-- with 2 E's

She is Chaney-- 1 E

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

But wouldn't they spell it correctly if so?  Dick Cheney-- with 2 E's

She is Chaney-- 1 E

I just assumed it's because she's a girl; can't spell a girl's name the same as a guy's -even if it's a surname.

They also could just be terrible at spelling or wanted to go with something more unique. While it's only been in the last decade or so that ridiculous spellings have absolutely blown up, they've existed forever in the Mormon community and I would assume fundies are the same because of the sheer number of offspring.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She looks to be around the age from when a lot of people in the South (and other places) were giving their children names based on mom or grandma's maiden name. There was an influx of Harrison for boys around that time. I used to substitute teach a few years ago to make extra money. There were four Harrisons, two Carters, and six Averys in one class. I felt sorry for this girl named Bridget because I knew she felt left out. 

I have Southern ancestors with Chaney as a last name, so I agree: it's probably a family last name. I don't mind it for a first name.

(Wonder if I'm related to this girl? But the Chaneys in my family tree are several generations ago, so we'd be very distant cousins. if anything.)

• Upvote 1

Which path do you think the boys will follow, the long Carlin one or a short and safe like the Duggar male? 

I can't decide since I could see both, a long courtshipand short engagement, or  a short one around 5/6 months total 

26 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Which path do you think the boys will follow, the long Carlin one or a short and safe like the Duggar male? 

I can't decide since I could see both, a long courtshipand short engagement, or  a short one around 5/6 months total 

Whichever the producers at Up tell them they want.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic