IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 4: Please Leave the Catholics Alone and Now Gestating

Coconut Flan

Is Kelton or the latte the love of her life? I sure hope that’s decaf.

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Is Kelton or the latte the love of her life? I sure hope that’s decaf.

Well, Kelton is posting it so I guess it is Josie.

And why should it be decaf? If I were pregnant I would still enjoy a good cup of coffee once in a while. It doesn't say she is drinking 3 cups a day.

Or is coffee completely off limits according to US pregnancy standards? 

• Upvote 8

53 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

And why should it be decaf? If I were pregnant I would still enjoy a good cup of coffee once in a while. It doesn't say she is drinking 3 cups a day.

I was drinking 1-2 cups of coffee while i was pregnant. And not a decaf. Its ok to drink coffee as long its not more than 3 cups a day. 

I also think she is carrying super low.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

The usual recommendation in the US is that it’s completely off limits. No one knows exactly how much is safe, and the amount probably varies between women. I think they used to say one cup a day was okay, but some women thought that meant a massive Starbucks cup, so now it’s just say no.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

The standard recommended amount of caffeine in the US is no more than 200 mg per day. For those of us with a history of miscarriage or a disorder linked to fertility issues (like PCOS) it’s best to avoid caffeine as much as possible, but many healthy pregnant women would likely be fine having a single cup of caffeinated coffee. It would really depend on the size of the cup and the type of drink. The Bateses seem to have stuck with legitimate medical care for their pregnancies thus far and Josie is  already halfway through her pregnancy, so I’m not going to waste my time worrying about them. She’s likely fine at this point regardless of whether that’s Decaf or not.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

On 3/24/2019 at 11:30 PM, Seculardaisy said:

This photo with the three of them sandwiched together is very odd. Lawson and Kelton look like her two husbands.

I would watch the hell out of a show titled "My two fundy husbands"

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The standard recommended amount of caffeine in the US is no more than 200 mg per day. For those of us with a history of miscarriage or a disorder linked to fertility issues (like PCOS) it’s best to avoid caffeine as much as possible, but many healthy pregnant women would likely be fine having a single cup of caffeinated coffee. It would really depend on the size of the cup and the type of drink. The Bateses seem to have stuck with legitimate medical care for their pregnancies thus far and Josie is  already halfway through her pregnancy, so I’m not going to waste my time worrying about them. She’s likely fine at this point regardless of whether that’s Decaf or not.

Coffee was completely off limits back in the dark ages of the 90’s when I was having kids and I missed it so much.

And I still rememeber the awesomeness of that caffeine jolt at my first cup post birth with each of them.

Glad the moms to be now aren’t all required to go cold turkey.  Progress and all that.

• Upvote 6

I think even then it must have depended on who was citing the rules. I was never told (87 to 98)  to eliminate caffeine, just to limit it. And I can't have more than the daily limit anyway, nauseates me. 

The 90s did have a lot of goofball health ideas, though. Like all that non-fat junk they packed with sugar and corn syrup. ? There was no sense of balance. 

• Upvote 2

Standards change regarding substances that are safe to use during pregnancy.  One of my aunts had a doctor recommend that she start smoking, while she was pregnant, to help her relax (this was a long time ago).  I think common sense should prevail, but not everyone has it or wants to use it.  If a substance isn't going to be helping a fetus, and could cause it harm, then I believe moms-to-be should err on the side of caution; e.g., stay well within recommended limits for items such as caffeine.

25 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Standards change regarding substances that are safe to use during pregnancy.  One of my aunts had a doctor recommend that she start smoking, while she was pregnant, to help her relax (this was a long time ago).  

I believe some doctors used to recommend women with a family history of large babies smoke while pregnant so the baby wouldn't be too big. ?

My grandmother was born in 1912, and was rare for her time in that she wasn't a smoker. She had huge ass babies (nine in all) and multiple people non-jokingly gave her this advice.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I would watch the hell out of a show titled "My two fundy husbands"

Seriously.  Which one do you submit to when they disagree??  Is there a first husband who's really in charge with a second one on the side?  Do you try to figure out which one got you pregnant? Is it fair to ask the second one to save his first kiss till the wedding when you're already doing everything with hubs one? Or do you just have to marry them both at once so everyone can stay pure? So much drama!  So the opposite of any Duggar/Bates show! 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I believe some doctors used to recommend women with a family history of large babies smoke while pregnant so the baby wouldn't be too big. ?

My grandmother was born in 1912, and was rare for her time in that she wasn't a smoker. She had huge ass babies (nine in all) and multiple people non-jokingly gave her this advice.

My aunt got the advice to smoke around the late 1950's.  I'm guessing she didn't, since none of my cousins were small at birth.  I think we were all (the cousins on that side of the family) around 7 lbs, so having smaller babies would not have been helpful at all.  There was so much smoking at that time, however, that I figure there must have been at least some mild effects from secondhand exposure.  People smoked in hospitals, including maternity wards.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

Alright gang, this may be the most bored I’ve ever been but I used a website that is supposed to colorize black and white photos. The confetti looks pink to me.

I have no idea how accurate this is but these are the results. I apologize for this boredom outburst and shall see myself to the nearest prayer closet.

Spoiler

EAD54C35-5A41-423F-BF30-3007261D93CB.thumb.jpeg.49595050f68c3b458c71ac7447bec2d3.jpeg

Spoiler

imageproxy.php?img=&key=eb941d1cec36b5e7DDD129F5-DE0F-40FE-A41F-86CE1147A0FF.thumb.png.0f7237fa878b87388d5340fd25eb2256.png

Spoiler

6819FAC2-CE9E-40C6-B1A6-A73B77849267.thumb.png.61724fb4d4a9c798f265555770160f67.png

358600AC-E9FB-4436-971F-ED8EB8573834.jpeg

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Based on the nursing school I work* at all caffeine is a no no. Even when asked when the mother is highly addicted to caffeine. Trust me at this point I just hit 30 telling me not to even if it is 100mg a day. Although I have gotten several to say get Paffic Salamon & other Sea life, the odds of it being exposed to radiation from the Japan’s disaster in 2011, to get the go ahead. Also almost got a couple on hard cider, wine, and Meade in the past.

* My job is to pester nursing students by playing a patient.

• Upvote 2

I think there are few things that are truly off limits in pregnancy like alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and many things that are just “not recommended”. I think it’s absolutely fine to pic and choose within a normal range in those waters. I didn’t skip my black tea just reduced my intake a little bit. I still got my hair coloured (no bleaching though). I didn’t eat raw meat or eggs but I am sure eat some raw milk cheese along the way. I live in a big city so the air I breath was probably much more harmful than anything from the “not recommend” list.

• Upvote 11

I believe the current recommendation is no more than 200mg (12oz) of a caffeinated beverage per day for pregnant women. 

• Upvote 1

Just by Jud's face alone I think its a girl. He's doing the oh man a girl thing that little boys do. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

I definitely think girl. Based on Josie’s face, Juds reaction, and just the look of the confetti ?

• Upvote 2

I think I put this in the wrong place earlier. I'm sorry! But, I read that Gil made some sermon once where he talked about Josie having problems with her sisters? Anyone have a copy of that?

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

I think I put this in the wrong place earlier. I'm sorry! But, I read that Gil made some sermon once where he talked about Josie having problems with her sisters? Anyone have a copy of that?

@formergothardite did a summany of it recently over at the general Bates thread, but i dont know were you can watch it.

I actually really like the name Willow. My husband didn’t like it much so we won’t be using it, but there’s something that just sounds really musical about it to me. And I think it’s touching that they wanted to honor his mother’s memory by using her first name for their daughter’s middle name.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic