IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 4: Please Leave the Catholics Alone and Now Gestating

Coconut Flan

With the shifted due date according to duggar data now Josie is expectto have 22 children and this will bring the total grandbates at 288!! Scary!

• Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 6

4 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I'm in the former group and I thought that Whitney and Alyssa had been photographed in pants at the Bates home.

I agree. While Alyssa might stick to the skirts at home, Whitney definitely doesn't. I remember hearing Alyssa say she wears dresses/skirts at her parents out of respect. We've seen multiple occasions where all Alyssa's personal instagram photos are wearing pants but in the show she's switched to a skirt. Most recently their Christmas photos - in the group family shots she has a skirt on but in her individual family photo it's jeans but the same top. Same with the Thanksgiving episode last year.....personal insta photos had her in jeans but during the show she was wearing the same shirt/vest but with a skirt instead. It's pretty clear she switches into the skirts for filming but it doesn't seem like she worries about being in pants around them any other time.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

58 minutes ago, LillyP said:

I agree. While Alyssa might stick to the skirts at home, Whitney definitely doesn't. I remember hearing Alyssa say she wears dresses/skirts at her parents out of respect. We've seen multiple occasions where all Alyssa's personal instagram photos are wearing pants but in the show she's switched to a skirt. Most recently their Christmas photos - in the group family shots she has a skirt on but in her individual family photo it's jeans but the same top. Same with the Thanksgiving episode last year.....personal insta photos had her in jeans but during the show she was wearing the same shirt/vest but with a skirt instead. It's pretty clear she switches into the skirts for filming but it doesn't seem like she worries about being in pants around them any other time.

whitney has done the same. I remember it was a ep filmed at their grandparents house. skirt for filming pants for private pics

It really irked me. Just comes across as hypocritical and smarmy dishonest 

• Upvote 11

Yeah, Trump actually was initially supported by Christians who identified as such but never went to church. The ones who went to church regularly tended to support Cruz. I knew a number of Trump supporters in the Navy. None of them were religious and one was an atheist. "Funny" how that works. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/20/2019 at 12:23 PM, TeaELSee said:

They have certainly come a long way from having a fear of sitting next to a student with green hair! (Or was that the Duggar’s?)  

regardless, that is a great haircut and I’m glad to see Josie has young clients.

That was Erin, who has always had the countenance of a middle-aged woman, cute though she be. I have no doubt some of her sibs rolled their eyes at that particular point. Their sect is terrible, but they aren't a hive mind.

• Upvote 7

From last night "Newlyweds: Rookies vs. Pros" episode:

And now for the question that is arguably the most important out of all of them: How many children do the newlyweds want to have? 

Kelton says: “Let’s see how Josie feels after the first.” Josie agrees, although she predicts they will have five or six kids.

We'll see about that. ?

Its a resonable number and something i think Josie would be ok with. But to have "only" five or six kids they need do use some kind of birth control. Praying itself wont help. ?

• Upvote 11

I don't think any of them are going to say they are "leaving it up to God" anymore. Saying that makes them look freakish. Six kids is still a lot of kids, but compared to their mega family makes them seem reasonable. 

• Upvote 18

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think any of them are going to say they are "leaving it up to God" anymore. Saying that makes them look freakish. Six kids is still a lot of kids, but compared to their mega family makes them seem reasonable. 

Yep. But frankly, I think it will be newsworthy if any of these Bates couples (not counting Brandon & Michael, who have known fertility issues) end up with less than 7 kids. Why so many people on FJ think any of the Bates (or Duggar) couples will end up with "only 2 or 3" kids, even though they marry young and exhibit zero evidence of family planning, is beyond me. [and also, so far none of these couples are apart for long periods of time--for example, military deployment--which would decrease chances of getting pregnant.] 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

13 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

whitney has done the same. I remember it was a ep filmed at their grandparents house. skirt for filming pants for private pics

It really irked me. Just comes across as hypocritical and smarmy dishonest 

That was totally a typo on my part - I meant Whitney was the one who doesn't seem to care because she regularly switches into pants just for filming. Lack of sleepy and mom-brain totally got to me...haha!

• I Agree 1

Maybe I’m naive or only seeing what I want to see, but neither Josie nor Alyssa seem like the type of women who would be interested in proselytizing while in the commission of their jobs. Jill and Derick, yes, but Josie?? I can’t see it. I imagine Josie and Alyssa to be the kind of people that are glad to have some distance from the fundie spiel. They might like it for the current monetary rewards and pleasures, but not for the hard work and negativity that it often times require. Given the choice of going back to prairie dresses and communal living in near poverty settings, I think those 2 would gladly join our world.

Just now, SassyPants said:

Maybe I’m naive or only seeing what I want to see, but neither Josie nor Alyssa seem like the type of women that would be interested in proselytizing while in the commission of their jobs. Jill and Derick, yes, but Josie?? I can’t see it. I imagine Josie and Alyssa to be the kind of people that are glad to have some distance from the fundie spiel. They might like it for the current monetary rewards and pleasures, but not for the hard work and negativity that it often times require. Given the choice of going back to prairie dresses and communal living in near poverty settings, I think those 2 would gladly join our world.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe I’m naive or only seeing what I want to see, but neither Josie nor Alyssa seem like the type of women who would be interested in proselytizing while in the commission of their jobs.

I don't know if they would are not. Josie might just spend the time talking about fluff for all we know. The only reason proselytizing was brought up was because people thought Josie going to cosmetology school and cutting hair  for non fundies was some sort of IBLP rebellion. IBLP used to offer Josie's career path as an option for ATI students.

• Upvote 4

On 2/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Here’s the thing, even if she is mixing with other trump voters, that doesn’t mean they are fundie. Trump voters aren’t a monolith. I actually know a few Trump voters that are loud and proud atheists. And plenty that have had children outside of marriage. So even if she mixes with other trump voters, she’s getting outside of her bubble. 

Yeah, Trump voter is definitely not synonymous with Fundie. I know plenty of Trumpsters who live together out of wedlock, have children out of wedlock, have tattoos and piercings, curse, and don't go to church.

Go to any state fair in the South and look around. People may give lip service to the wonders of 1950s Christian patriarchy, but that ain't how most people are living out their lives in red states. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe I’m naive or only seeing what I want to see, but neither Josie nor Alyssa seem like the type of women who would be interested in proselytizing while in the commission of their jobs

You are not naive. They don't even proselitize in instagram. 

I see both of them very practical, down to earth. Not religious. I mean, religious because it's their tradition, but not focused on that. 

This doesn't make their beliefs less dangerous. But they are less obnoxious than some of their siblings.

• Upvote 1

It was revealed during that stupid game last night that Kelton and Josie were communicating quite a bit  while he was in college. 

Many gifts were exchanged along with long phone calls. The Bates shift stories to suit their narrative.

• Upvote 12

47 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

It was revealed during that stupid game last night that Kelton and Josie were communicating quite a bit  while he was in college. 

Many gifts were exchanged along with long phone calls.

This makes his anger at not being able to date a 15 year old even stranger. What in the world did he have to forgive her for if her parents didn't cut off all contact with him? 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

31 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

This makes his anger at not being able to date a 15 year old even stranger. What in the world did he have to forgive her for if her parents didn't cut off all contact with him? 

Being """friendzoned"""?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Many gifts were exchanged along with long phone calls. The Bates shift stories to suit their narrative.

I hope this wasnt hapening at the same time he was dating that Josie look-a-like.

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1

2 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I mean, we know according to their story on The Knot that they restarted their relationship during his senior year of college and considered themselves a couple by the time he graduated. So I don’t know if the two of them communicating while he was in college is contrary to their narrative.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

For a "normal" couple, having 5-6 kids isn't all that odd, either with using birth control or without. 

However, based on how fertile the Bates young ladies seem to be, plus the young age they get married, I think that they specifically would have to use birth control to limit their family size to 5/6. 

For someone with average fertility, who was married more around age 25, you could easily "only" have 5/6 kids naturally, and maybe just use birth control to get a "perfect" spacing or for postpartum recovery or something. 

Perhaps the Bates see themselves as "normal" (Despite the facts) and thus think it would be reasonable to have 5/6 kids naturally. 

A family who went to my high school (Catholic) had 11 kids after being married right after college (age 22). They never used birth control (the father is a Catholic obgyn who does not believe in it -- they may have used NFP to space). 11 is still WAY less than 19. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/21/2019 at 9:48 PM, Italiangirl said:

With the shifted due date according to duggar data now Josie is expectto have 22 children and this will bring the total grandbates at 288!! Scary!

I dont see Josie and Kelton wanting to have that many kids and since she married so young and she seems as fertile as Kelly i think she probably will end using birth control at some point. Maybe by that time (5-10 years in the future) she could not even be the first one in the family to be using it, as i see Alyssa and Whitney using birth control too at some point.

The rest i dont know, Erin and Tori seem the most religious and also married the most religious guys of the bunch. Michaella will cherish any pregnancy she gets. And Carlin is a big question. On one hand i cant see her and Evan dealing with lots of kids, but on the other i think they would love the attention that would bring them.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1

I think it’s incredibly rare to have 19 kids for a reason. Most people have enough sense to say “ok we’ve hit our limit.” And others just naturally start spacing them out further apart as they age. The older Morton’s have slowed down (Kressant and Rachel). And if you look at others like Jill Rod, she has slowed down a lot since her first two sets of Irish twins. Just because it’s possible for Josie to have 22 doesn’t mean it’s likely. Hardly any fundies make it past 14 kids. Even when they start young.

• Upvote 13

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s incredibly rare to have 19 kids for a reason. Most people have enough sense to say “ok we’ve hit our limit.” And others just naturally start spacing them out further apart as they age. The older Morton’s have slowed down (Kressant and Rachel). And if you look at others like Jill Rod, she has slowed down a lot since her first two sets of Irish twins. Just because it’s possible for Josie to have 22 doesn’t mean it’s likely. Hardly any fundies make it past 14 kids. Even when they start young.

Yeah, Kelly and Michelle are ridiculously fertile. Also, they had very, ahem, "active" marriages and seemed to be trying for additional kids, at least in the later years. 

It isn't as if it's unusual for sexy times to slow down a bit as people get older and after being married a while, fundie or not. I imagine being dead exhausted from eight little kids only further dampens those feelings. 

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

For a "normal" couple, having 5-6 kids isn't all that odd, either with using birth control or without. 

Really? I thought the average number of children for a US woman now was 2.4.  5 or 6 is much higher than 2.4

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

15 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Really? I thought the average number of children for a US woman now was 2.4.  5 or 6 is much higher than 2.4

Yes that's the average! And that average is based on the fact that most couples use birth control.

I just mean that it wouldn't be odd if you had 5 kids (nobody would think oh wow look at that crazy family) and that it can be achieved not using birth control OR you could do it using birth control to purposely have 5 kids spaced evenly, and no one would bat an eye. 

2.4 is the average so theres highs and lows to it! 

I am one of 5 and no one considered my family to be weird. And my parents used birth control and chose to have 5. In the neighborhood I grew up in, 4-5 kids was pretty normal! But, it was upper middle class so maybe people just felt comfortable affording those kids. 

Edited by kmachete14
  • Upvote 2

It is true that most people who don’t use birth control will not have anywhere near 19 kids. As an example, in the bad old days in Quebec women often married in their teens and were encouraged to have as many children as they possibly could (so there was an element of trying going on) and the vast majority still did not get to 19. Some did, but most were more in the ~8-14 range. 

• Upvote 10

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic