IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 4: Please Leave the Catholics Alone and Now Gestating

Coconut Flan

It's crazy to think how limited their knowledge of sexual health is. I know we bring this up a fair amount, but it really doesn't get less shocking to me.

We have friends that just told us they are pregnant and due in June. They got married in October, and knowing they did want to have a family right away, they actually started trying shortly before their wedding thinking it wouldn't happen right away because of the statistics they looked at. It did :pb_lol:!  Unfortunately for my friend, she spent her honeymoon with a lot of morning sickness and a "waste" of the liquor-inclusive resort they selected. Fortunately for them both, this is a much wanted and planned for baby, albeit sooner then expected, and they are so excited to welcome their baby girl this summer. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I think they were using some kind of birth control, but maybe haphazardly.   They leased a one bedroom apartment & Kelton called the baby an “unexpected” blessing on his insta.  I think it was their way of saying it without saying it, because coming right out and admitting to birth control is a slap in the face to Gil & Kelly.  Too many of the married couples are having decent spacing of kids & on the marriage game episode when asked how many children they wanted  Josie said four or five I think &  Kelton basically said they would see how Josie felt after the first.  That’s a pretty far cry from “as many as the Lord allows”

• Upvote 4

Isn’t it really sad and odd that when any of  these folks have a 2 year spacing, wait an entire year after marriage to conceive,  or reference “only having 4,5 or 6 kids” we act as if they are normalizing their behaviors. Kelton and Josie were married in October and their baby is due in July, and they are surprised?? If they are using BC, they are doing a PP job.

Barring a Duggar/Bates/Rod holy union, outsiders are not going to be familiar with the true operations of a mega family. The Paines and Websters had 3 kids under 3, but that’s a far cry from 19. I’m thinking most of these couples will eventually make a decision that will limit their reproductive numbers...all the current couples have at least one parent who was not reared in a home with a dozen+ children. They know not what such a family requires and entails.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’m thinking most of these couples will eventually make a decision that will limit their reproductive numbers...all the current couples have at least one parent who was not reared in a home with a dozen+ children.

Same here! I think that most Duggars and Bates will stop at 3 or 4. It's not just the spouse from the  "normal" family who might want this. The spouse from the mega-family might also want fewer children.

Alyssa, Erin, Tori, Jessa Duggar.... they are all experts on the disadvantages of mega families. I am sure they have memories of wanting to talk to a mother who was busy with the baby and toddler, or wanting more time with a dad who was always at work. I'm sure they remember the noise, the chaos, the baby constantly screaming, the lack of money, the way the littles messed up their stuff and kept them trapped at home. For the young men, it's a huge responsibility. Does Zach Bates want to support 19 kids? I tend to doubt it.

Ernestine Gilbraith (of the Cheaper by the Dozen family) once said that she could only remember 2-3 times when she was alone with her father DURING HER ENTIRE CHILDHOOD. Her dad did travel a lot, but still--2 times? All the Gilbraith children went on to have small families. Although they seemed to be a close and loving family, none of the kids wanted to duplicate what they had grown up with.

• Upvote 4

@Hisey-one slight correction, neither JB nor Gil were away from the house working too often. The remainder of your comment is correct.

• Haha 2

IF, and that’s a big IF, they are using any kind of family planning, it’s probably NFP. And maybe she didn’t know what she was doing because she got PG on the first cycle. But I doubt they were using any method but were just surprised they got pregnant right away. Even when you are “trying” it can take several months to get pregnant, so maybe they were betting on 3-6 months at the earliest, before they’d be pregnant. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I’m willing to believe that these people are so out of it that they’re legitimately “surprised” when they “unexpectedly” get pregnant after having reproductive sex.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, FaithAndReason said:

IF, and that’s a big IF, they are using any kind of family planning, it’s probably NFP. And maybe she didn’t know what she was doing because she got PG on the first cycle. But I doubt they were using any method but were just surprised they got pregnant right away. Even when you are “trying” it can take several months to get pregnant, so maybe they were betting on 3-6 months at the earliest, before they’d be pregnant. 

At barely 19 and a young 20 something, the chances for conception would be higher than for other age groups.

• Upvote 4

I don’t think the phrasing ‚unexpected‘ gives reasons to speculate. I mean of course it was unexpected. Who would expect getting pregnant on your first cycle? It is a possibility but no one expects that.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think the phrasing ‚unexpected‘ gives reasons to speculate. I mean of course it was unexpected. Who would expect getting pregnant on your first cycle? It is a possibility but no one expects that.

When you are that age, it's easy to get pregnant at first cycle. And considering Kelly's ability to get pregnant, Josie shouldn't be surprised, except that they tried to use BC and failed.

I think that Alyssa and Erin got pregnant right after the wedding (unfortunately, Erin lost the baby).

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Edited mistake as requested by poster
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

When you are that age, it's easy to get pregnant at first cycle. And considering Kelly's ability to get pregnant, Josie shouldn't be surprised, except that they tried to use BC and failed.

I think that Alyssa and Erin got pregnant right before the wedding (unfortunately, Erin lost the baby).

You mean right after the wedding, don't you? I couldn't care less about what any of those kids do with whom and when, but the endless discussions about who got pregnant before their wedding often border on the ridiculous. It's very unlikely any of these kids just sneak off and have pre-marital sex.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I don't think it's at all strange to have a baby in a 1-bedroom apartment. I know lots of people who do this, the baby just sleeps in the bedroom with the parents. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

You mean right after the wedding, don't you? I couldn't care less about what any of those kids do with whom and when, but the endless discussions about who got pregnant before their wedding often border on the ridiculous. It's very unlikely any of these kids just sneak off and have pre-marital sex.

Yes. Besides, Alyssa had Allie 10.5 months after her wedding so not even a honeymoon baby. Erin would be due around Bradley's birth day so about 11 months after her wedding.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think that Alyssa and Erin got pregnant right before the wedding (unfortunately, Erin lost the baby).

Erin was married November 2nd and was due with their first pregnancy in mid October. Conception would have been in January, two months after her wedding.

Alyssa was married in late May and had Allie in early April. Conception would have been sometime in mid-July, a little less than two months after her wedding.

As for getting pregnant at that age being relatively easy for many people, do we really think Josie and Kelton had decent enough Sex Ed to know that? 

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Exactly. When trying for our first child we got pregnant on our first cycle. It was a genuine shock mainly because we weren’t sure if we’d have trouble conceiving (due to medical issues.) I lost that pregnancy and proceeded to get pregnant with my daughter in the cycle immediately after that - that pregnancy was slightly less shocking because we knew it was possible for us to at least conceive at that point.

I can see how they’d be genuinely surprised while not using anything more than NFP or prayer to prevent, especially considering that her siblings all took at least a cycle or two to conceive the first time 

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Sorry! I meant right after the wedding!!! 

I appologise because it was absolutely a mistake. I hope I can edit.

• Upvote 4

@Melissa1977 Don’t worry. I didn’t mean to sound hand-slappy. I apologize if I did, but I assumed it was an unintended mistake. As an ESL myself, I know those all too well.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I don't think it's at all strange to have a baby in a 1-bedroom apartment. I know lots of people who do this, the baby just sleeps in the bedroom with the parents. 

But then she wouldnt have a nursery to decorate in an apropiate boho style. And she has been pinning nursery ideas on pinterest since before the wedding...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

@Hisey-one slight correction, neither JB nor Gil were away from the house working too often. The remainder of your comment is correct.

Oh. . . I thought that in the early days JB had a towing business and Gil was running a tree business. Maybe I was wrong? Were they mostly at home? I realize they didn't have 9-5 jobs

On 3/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, lumpentheologie said:

Pregnancy just looks so different on different people. One of my best friends didn't look pregnant at all at 8 months. And she's one of the smallest, thinnest people I know. We were a bit worried about her baby, actually, but the doctor said it was fine and now she has a healthy 2 year-old. But seriously, I wouldn't have believed she was pregnant if I hadn't known. She said it had to do with the way her uterus was tilted, so maybe some of the Bates girls have something similar. 

Everyone carries differently. My friend had twins and she looked way smaller then I did when I was pregnant with one child. My sister also carried much smaller then me. So unfair!

On 3/27/2019 at 8:48 AM, klabourdeth said:

* My job is to pester nursing students by playing a patient.

This sounds really fun!

• Upvote 2

When I hear people say "we were shocked" I don't take it as....'we were surprised to get pregnant even though we're having sex' but more like they expected it to take longer than one cycle.

It's not that easy to get pregnant, despite what the Bates and Duggars make it look like. ;) Sure plenty of people get pregnant the first month they try but way more people it takes quite a bit longer. I know people who were surprised to get pregnant, not because they weren't trying but because they had their head wrapped around that it might take a while. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

15 hours ago, LillyP said:

When I hear people say "we were shocked" I don't take it as....'we were surprised to get pregnant even though we're having sex' but more like they expected it to take longer than one cycle.

It's not that easy to get pregnant, despite what the Bates and Duggars make it look like. ;) Sure plenty of people get pregnant the first month they try but way more people it takes quite a bit longer. I know people who were surprised to get pregnant, not because they weren't trying but because they had their head wrapped around that it might take a while. 

That's how I usually interpret it, as well. I conceived both of my children on the first cycle trying and was shocked both times. I actually think I was more shocked the second time, having convinced myself that the first time might have just been a fluke.

• Upvote 9

Josie is cutting Lawson's hair in his latest insta story, but I can't tell if it's at a salon or at the Bates' house.  Anyone else have an idea?  I figured she had stopped working by now, but now I'm not sure. 

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Josie is cutting Lawson's hair in his latest insta story, but I can't tell if it's at a salon or at the Bates' house.  Anyone else have an idea?  I figured she had stopped working by now, but now I'm not sure. 

She commented this on her latest post

939E4582-9B40-471B-92EE-266D671637FF.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

On 3/28/2019 at 10:37 PM, SheWhoMustNotBeNamed said:

I haven't posted in a long while, but felt I needed to come out of lurking for this. While I understand the sentiment behind the name all I can think of is the Willocrisp chocolates ?

Screenshot_20190328-233459_Amazon Shopping.jpg

These look amazing. Do they taste good?

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic