IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 4: Please Leave the Catholics Alone and Now Gestating

Coconut Flan

On 3/27/2019 at 11:15 AM, llucie said:

@formergothardite did a summany of it recently over at the general Bates thread, but i dont know were you can watch it.

Is there any chance you could link the post? Or is a thread other than Bates 26? I'm curious now too, but I looked through that one and all I can find is a summary of a sermon about Carlin. 

33 minutes ago, pippi said:

Is there any chance you could link the post? Or is a thread other than Bates 26? I'm curious now too, but I looked through that one and all I can find is a summary of a sermon about Carlin. 

Sure. Its here: 

• Thank You 1

I haven't posted in a long while, but felt I needed to come out of lurking for this. While I understand the sentiment behind the name all I can think of is the Willocrisp chocolates ?

Screenshot_20190328-233459_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Willow is a pretty name I like it better than the girls names Erin and Alyssa have chosen so far. Brooklyn reminds me of David and Victoria Beckham naming their son after the place where they found out they were expecting, Everly is ok but not great. Allie and Lexi are also ok but not names I'd ever use. I like the name Zoe but without the y.

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Was his mom's name actually Kristy or was it Kristine/a? Nicknames as legal names are a big pet peeve of mine (let the kid decide!) but if it's a namesake I can see it. Not a big deal either way since it's just the middle name.

I get your point, but nicknames as legal names are totally a thing in the Bates family: Josie, Katie, Kaci, Allie, Lexi.

So they probably won't think about it that way!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I like the name Willow, it’s ”round” and works really well with Balka. I have never thought about the name before since it wouldn’t work in my mother tongue.

And the whole thing with a middle name, do people in English speaking/the us use their middle names often?

We have middle names here, but they aren’t used. They are used during baptisms/naming ceremonies. You have them on your passport and ID cards. But usually we just use the “first name” (which in my case is the second name of three, in my husbands car the second name of two), and that is noted in that records with our government as the first name.

• Upvote 6

I like Willow for Josie's baby.  My mother wanted to name me Willow by my father vetoed it.  I'm kind of glad I wasn't named Willow though because it struck me as too much of a hippie name (mom was an OG hippie).  

10 minutes ago, is.it.real said:

And the whole thing with a middle name, do people in English speaking/the us use their middle names often?

We have middle names here, but they aren’t used. They are used during baptisms/naming ceremonies. You have them on your passport and ID cards. But usually we just use the “first name” (which in my case is the second name of three, in my husbands car the second name of two), and that is noted in that records with our government as the first name.

I think this varies a lot by region in the US. I'm American and I've never in my life used my middle name or known anyone else who has (unless they go by it instead of their first name---but never first and middle together).  I only know the middle names of a handful of people in my life, and as far as I'm concerned they're mostly just another piece of identifying data for your ID.  My middle name is my mother's maiden name though (and that's not that uncommon among my peers) so maybe that makes a difference too. 

But I've lived on the West Coast and the Northeast, and I think people in the South and Midwest use middle names more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

My name is a shortened version of a name, my dad chose my name after an 80s singer and both him and my mum hated the full version of the name, I do too but it's also seen as a name in its own right now. I don't mind Josie, Katie and Allie used as names but I am not a fan of Lexi, I prefer Alexis, Alexa or Alexandra as a name. My dad was named John, following the family tradition and then his parents always called him Ian, Gaelic version of John, he didn't know John was his real name until he started school and the teacher kept calling him John. His sister was Ellen Marie but they called her Lynn, my gran was told by her mother that Lynn wasn't a proper name so she better name her something else, my gran now wishes that she hadn't listened to her mother and went with the name she wanted but things were different in the 1960s.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, is.it.real said:

I’m sure it varies a lot. I use them when I am yelling at my kids - lol - if they hear their middle name they know I mean business! We picked middle names to honor family members. I think that’s fairly common although again I think it varies. I don’t use my middle name much as an adult but it is an initial on all my identification...

• Upvote 4

Having 'nicknames' as official names is very normal here. If you are named Christian then that is your name, if your parents wanted to call you Chris they would have given you that as a first name. Although some people choose to go by a nickname version of their official name, for us it does feel like a different name and definitely not a given.

Which kind of caused some problems when we opened our Canadian office and we started to communicate with colleagues over there. It happened multiple times that one of my Dutch colleagues got super annoyed with a Canadian colleague naming them with a nickname that they are not used to ('my name is Daniel, not Dan!').

• Upvote 3

I dig the name! The idea of this kid being raised by a teenaged cult member and a creepy overgrown frat boy makes me really anxious, but at least she'll have a nice name.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4

10 hours ago, ophelia said:

I get your point, but nicknames as legal names are totally a thing in the Bates family: Josie, Katie, Kaci, Allie, Lexi.

So they probably won't think about it that way!

Don’t forget Tori and Ellie

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I'll say, I'm not a fan of Willow, but I tend to like more traditional names. My first thought on her name was that she needed to hang out with Ember Roloff.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I like the name Willow a lot. I have an affinity for girl names that done end in “a”. 

That being said, am I misremembering or is Jana’s dog named Willow?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Was his mom's name actually Kristy or was it Kristine/a? Nicknames as legal names are a big pet peeve of mine (let the kid decide!) but if it's a namesake I can see it. Not a big deal either way since it's just the middle name.

It was Kristy Anne Dotson, pre-marriage. On her grave it is Kristy D. Balka.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I moved to Texas after growing up in the Midwest, and it’s pretty common here for people to go by their first and middle names. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I look forward to all the people who are probably going to ask them about Buffy now.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

On her instagram, Josie says she is still working and will be moving to a different apartment during the first week of May.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

The Bates are always moving.  One apartment to another apartment....

Do we think Willow was a surprise baby? Josie and Kelton seemed pretty keen to have a one-bedroom apartment when they got married. You’d think they would’ve at least gotten a two-bedroom from the start if they weren’t preventing a pregnancy. 

• I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs.Right said:

Do we think Willow was a surprise baby? Josie and Kelton seemed pretty keen to have a one-bedroom apartment when they got married. You’d think they would’ve at least gotten a two-bedroom from the start if they weren’t preventing a pregnancy. 

I think their definition of preventing a pregnancy was likely limited to praying really hard it wouldn’t happen immediately. That said, they could have been genuinely surprised they ended up conceiving so quickly. They might not have expected that since most of her siblings took a few months to conceive or have had trouble starting families. 

• Upvote 16

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic