IGNORED

American Missionary Killed by Indigenous Tribe

FullOfGravy

8 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

In “this can’t get any worse, can it?” News, apparently there’s a thing called “tribal tourism” where people go to remote places to gawk at indigenous cultures. With the attention Chau’s death has brought the island, people are concerned that it’ll become a tourist destination. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/11/27/missionary-didn-die-from-tribesmen-arrows-was-killed-his-own-arrogance/QSblpdBocWWSs3HeS94TYP/story.html

When I was reading initial reports last week, this was brought up almost as an aside in a few pieces. It made me enraged. 

One man thinking his Jesus is worth any and all risk, choosing to take that risk on behalf of others without their consent. He dies at their hands because they are defending themselves, seeing him as a threat. 

He puts them at risk of disease that can decimate them. But, Jesus! He breaks the laws of India, because Jesus! He pays fisherman to break the law of the land because, Jesus!

Sentinelese kill him to defend themselves against invasion and protect themselves based on past experience with outsiders dropping in. 

So, he's dead. Seven(?) fishermen arrested. American and Indian governments wasting time, money and brain power on the actions of one MOFO. Putting more lives at risk with the idea of "recovering" his body. 

More idiots of the world gawking at the islanders as though they are on display for their amusement. Putting themselves at risk; putting the Sentinelese at further risk with more outside contact. And, antagonizing the Sentinelese. These people just killed an invader of their island and lives, what do any moronic tourists think will happen to them? More deaths, so more hatred can be directed at the isolated brown people? 

The entire circle of consequences for one arrogant, ignorant Jesus freak - -- the number of possible deaths, the ongoing BS that keeps this isolated group in the spotlight - - - all because of effing Jesus? 

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes people do ask me to tell them why I do not believe in any god and have contempt for evangelicals/extremists/religious folks who want the world ruled by their rules.....this is now the example I will use. 

Because one prick thought his god was so damn relevant and more important than anything else, countless lives are put at risk. 

I fear for the world the next generations will live in. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 6

9 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

In “this can’t get any worse, can it?” News, apparently there’s a thing called “tribal tourism” where people go to remote places to gawk at indigenous cultures. With the attention Chau’s death has brought the island, people are concerned that it’ll become a tourist destination. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/11/27/missionary-didn-die-from-tribesmen-arrows-was-killed-his-own-arrogance/QSblpdBocWWSs3HeS94TYP/story.html

Eh I dunno people have been doing that to my people in Hawai'i a long time. The group that took us over and converted us runs the for profit Polynesian Cultursl Center.

But yeah stilll gross.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2018 at 3:48 AM, slh12280 said:

Just though of something.  Aren't these the same people who are always touting about using lethal force i.e. guns to protect their property?  How come that right didn't extend to these people?  They even gave warnings.  Shoot and ask questions later.  

They have darker skin!!!!! That’s why!!!! 

The racism that lies behind this is just unbelievable. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Well, wisdom has prevailed. His body will not be recovered. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/28/india-body-john-allen-chau-missionary-killed-by-sentinelese-tribe

This is my response to his mother thinking that he is alive. If he was alive, why was he not waiving to the police boat that was surveying the island? You would think that he would want the world to know he was alive.

• Upvote 19
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Love 3

And more evidence that AllNations should be shut the fuck down. 

The Hindustan Times quoted two police officials as saying that a 53-year-old woman from Tennessee and a 25-year-old man from Colorado arrived in India, travelled to the Andaman islands and met with Mr Chau from 5 to 10 November in what he described in his journals as a “safehouse”.

Police said the two Americans, who were not named in the report, left the islands on 10 November and Mr Chau was supposed to start his journey to North Sentinel the next day. He was ultimately delayed by a cyclone in the Bay of Bengal, pushing back the trip until the 16 November.

Authorities reportedly have details for the two Americans and are considering whether to contact them as part of the investigation into Mr Chau’s death. Police chief Dependra Pathak told the Hindustan Times that two US nationals had indeed visited Mr Chau, saying: “It looks like Chau wasn’t alone.

“We are still probing the case. I won’t comment on an ongoing investigation,” he added.

He had 2 other Americans conspiring and willing to go with him.  And unwanted contact with the Sentinelese and risking their lives with disease is totes OK because we haz antibiotics.

In an interview with Christianity Today, the All Nations’ group’s international executive leader Mary Ho said: “We encourage all our missionaries to go two by two at the very least, and there were several others who were willing to go with John Chau.

“At the very end, he personally decided to go alone. He knew that he was going into a risky situation.”

Ms Ho said Mr Chau first contacted All Nations two years ago, already intent on travelling to North Sentinel. “He came to us because he wanted to be trained and sent out [to North Sentinel]. He knew we had experts in anthropology, in missiology, in linguistics.

“This young man was intent on fully equipping himself… He was thorough and meticulous in his preparations.”

Efforts to recover Mr Chau’s body from North Sentinel have been suspended amid calls from international rights groups, who say the tribespeople have no immunity to common diseases and could be decimated by contact with the outside world.

Asked about fears that the Sentinelese could have been harmed by Mr Chau’s actions, Ms Ho claimed such concerns were not as relevant at “a time right now when there is modern medicine, when there is antibiotics”.

Mr Chau had “attempted to get 13 types of immunisation” before travelling and, just before getting the boat to North Sentinel, “quarantined himself for many days as a preventative step”, she said.

“None of us really know the exact health condition of the North Sentinelese,” Ms Ho said. “We do not know what kind of health issues [they have]. And perhaps there is some modern medicine that would be helpful for them.”

In a statement on Monday urging the Indian authorities not to disturb the Sentinelese further in their attempts to investigate Mr Chau’s death, the rights group Survival International said it was likely the result of previous disastrous contacts with the outside world that the tribespeople “defend their island by force”.

The ignorance.  It burns.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/john-allen-chau-us-missionary-124100140.html?guccounter=1

Edited by Palimpsest
fixed quotes
  • Upvote 21
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

He had 2 other Americans conspiring and willing to go with him.  And unwanted contact with the Sentinelese and risking their lives with disease is totes OK because we haz antibiotics.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/john-allen-chau-us-missionary-124100140.html?guccounter=1

The mission organization needs to be charged. They clearly helped him break the law.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 26

21 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh my god, you're right that the ignorance burns. It's like sticking myself with hot pokers to read the stuff that comes out of Mary Ho's mouth.  She's such a liar. 

Thank goodness the body isn't going to be recovered; it's too dangerous for the Sentinelese and whoever would go out to bring the body back. 

• Upvote 18

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Ms Ho said Mr Chau first contacted All Nations two years ago, already intent on travelling to North Sentinel. “He came to us because he wanted to be trained and sent out [to North Sentinel]. He knew we had experts in anthropology, in missiology, in linguistics.

“This young man was intent on fully equipping himself… He was thorough and meticulous in his preparations.”

"Missiology" is a thing, apparently.  TIL.  

More to the point, he was clearly not "thorough and meticulous" at all.  He may have gone in search of experts, but it sounds very much like he was picking and choosing which advice to listen to (or else the experts are not as expert as they claim).  I assume "missiologists" (Chrome spellcheck even doesn't recognize that as a word) have their own agenda, but advice from respectable anthropologists and linguists should have been along the lines of "sit your ass down in the US and stay there."  And if he'd ignored that, his means of making contact and attempts at gifts were so overwhelmingly stupid that I refuse to believe he consulted anyone whose degree didn't come from a CrackerJack box.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8

Missiology is actually a word.  But I had to look it up too. :)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/missiology

I think India should track down the two people who traveled with Chau and see if they can charge them with any crimes.  Or at least scare them as much as possible.  I'm afraid these idiots will go back.

As for the "missionary" organisation - they should be sent the bill for all the police activity investigating Chau's death caused.  And the bill for the ongoing monitoring of the island to ensure the Sentinelese privacy for the next 20 years or so.

AllNations should be put out of business, IMO, for criminal irresponsibility.

In my dreams.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 16

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I think India should track down the two people who traveled with Chau and see if they can charge them with any crimes. 

ITA. These two are accessories. 

Absolutely, All Nations should be billed to every last rupee for the costs of dealing with this debacle.

1 hour ago, FullOfGravy said:

He may have gone in search of experts, but it sounds very much like he was picking and choosing which advice to listen to (or else the experts are not as expert as they claim). 

If this asshat consulted real experts, they would undoubtedly have told him to STAY THE FUCK OFF THAT ISLAND. So, either the experts were bogus or he ignored what real experts told him.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

7 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

If this asshat consulted real experts, they would undoubtedly have told him to STAY THE FUCK OFF THAT ISLAND. So, either the experts were bogus or he ignored what real experts told him.

Well these are the "experts."  Ms Mary Ho is a graduate of Pat Robertson's Regent University.

Mary is the International Executive Leader of All Nations. She is passionate about finishing the Great Commission in this generation by making disciples in every remaining unreached people group of the world. Born in Taiwan and raised on four continents, Mary has lived in Swaziland, Taiwan, Indonesia, New Zealand, Philippines, Hong Kong, and the U.S., and traveled extensively. She received her Doctor of Strategic Leadership from Regent University, VA in 2017. She is married to John Ho and has two boys.

https://allnations.us/about-us/leadership/

And this is the back-up team.

https://allnations.us/about-us/our-team/

This is their campus.

https://allnations.us/contact-us/stay-at-our-houses/

As I said, Mickey Mouse but full of misguided notions.

And they cultivate a "war-like" attitude as the strive to convert our "Muslim neighbors" and the "Unreached."  The unreached apparently include Germany, England, Wales, and Alaska.  I wish they would stick with them.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I agree All Nations need to be held accountable for this, they new his intentions and either encouraged it or failed to stop him. They knew he had the wrong visa too.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

So they basically do nothing to actually help the people groups they are pretending to do outreach for?  Noting no "team to bring fresh water to town" or "rebuild bridge/infrastructure destroyed in cyclone."  Just this nebulous term leadership building.  And we see the results of their training allright.

Edited by Soulhuntress
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I think the thread title should be changed to “tribal members defend themselves against a so called missionary”.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 10

I saw this Ralph Wiggum meme & I had to share it

Spoiler

ralphwiggummissionary.jpg

Edited by FloraKitty35
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

@Don'tlikekoolaid I am expecting it to show up in my feed, courtesy of a couple of people in Mr. Briefly's side of the family.  Both of which I may be unfriending because of their constant trump brownnosing. 

I'm glad that India is not going to go after his body.  It would not go well, for anyone.  Especially for the Sentinelese.  (Not sure of the correct spelling.)

They are now on so many people's radar.  I hope that India is extremely vigilant because I am seriously concerned that there be more attempts to evangelize to them.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

@Don'tlikekoolaid I am expecting it to show up in my feed, courtesy of a couple of people in Mr. Briefly's side of the family.  Both of which I may be unfriending because of their constant trump brownnosing. 

I'm glad that India is not going to go after his body.  It would not go well, for anyone.  Especially for the Sentinelese.  (Not sure of the correct spelling.)

They are now on so many people's radar.  I hope that India is extremely vigilant because I am seriously concerned that there be more attempts to evangelize to them.

His body may become crab food which than feeds the tribe so I guess something good may have come about this.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Soulhuntress said:

So they basically do nothing to actually help the people groups they are pretending to do outreach for?  Noting no "team to bring fresh water to town" or "rebuild bridge/infrastructure destroyed in cyclone."  Just this nebulous term leadership building.  And we see the results of their training allright.

Nah.  They shouldn't become dependent on de white mission man....see John Schrader.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

39 minutes ago, gustava said:

Nah.  They shouldn't become dependent on de white mission man....see John Schrader.

Oh Rufus.  Forgot about that fool!

Edited by Soulhuntress
  • Rufus Bless 1

22 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Burn it does indeed! From the article:

Asked about fears that the Sentinelese could have been harmed by Mr Chau’s actions, Ms Ho claimed such concerns were not as relevant at “a time right now when there is modern medicine, when there is antibiotics”.

What the everloving...? Chau, as far as I'm aware, wasn't a GP who arrived with a boatload of antibiotics and other prescription drugs. And again, practical concerns come into play.

First, how would someone untrained even be able to assess how serious a medical condition amongst largely uncontacted people is? What could seem like a common cold to us, could wipe out the entire population. Second, how do you communicate from North Sentinel Island? I imagine radio would be the best option. Third, if anything happened, there might simply not be enough medicines on the other islands to quickly and effectively stop an epidemic. And what if someone is allergic?

Not to mention that any relief operation would require even more contact, increasing the risk of disease. Then there's the language barrier again. If I'd never seen a syringe in my life and someone tried stabbing me with one, being unable to explain why, I'd consider that an act of hostility. You bet I'd defend myself against getting stabbed! And I'm not swallowing pills that a random stranger hands me either. For all I know, they're trying to poison me!

With that statement Ho has just proven how little she understands about the entire situation! Or how little she cares for anything other than her agenda.

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 2

On 11/29/2018 at 11:14 AM, Lisafer said:

Oh my god, you're right that the ignorance burns. It's like sticking myself with hot pokers to read the stuff that comes out of Mary Ho's mouth.  She's such a liar. 

Thank goodness the body isn't going to be recovered; it's too dangerous for the Sentinelese and whoever would go out to bring the body back. 

Just call me Petty Labelle, cuz I keep thinking of her as "Merry Ho."    ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

I feel sorry for this guy insofar as I think he was a total victim of brainwashing from his faith community. I believe he was totally sincere in his belief that he was doing the right thing....so much so that he was willing to lose not only his own life but also sacrifice the lives of the tribes people... for DELUSIONS. But it was not his own delusion, it was one shared and enforced by his community! A community that is still trying to enforce this idiotic and very dangerous idea that a conviction from ones own god and conviction in ones own faith over rules all logic, reason, laws and the autonomy of other people. And that is fucking crazy to me. Missionary groups are fucking dangerous and should be illegal...not that legality would matter to them. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

First, how would someone untrained even be able to assess how serious a medical condition amongst largely uncontacted people is? What could seem like a common cold to us, could wipe out the entire population. Second, how do you communicate from North Sentinel Island? I imagine radio would be the best option. Third, if anything happened, there might simply not be enough medicines on the other islands to quickly and effectively stop an epidemic. And what if someone is allergic?

Not to mention that any relief operation would require even more contact, increasing the risk of disease. Then there's the language barrier again.

Silly, the answer to all of these problems is simple: Jesus

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2