IGNORED

American Missionary Killed by Indigenous Tribe

FullOfGravy

I believe the fisherman who took him there when they say he is dead. It would be hard to mistake Chaus body for that of the tribe. The skin color is between Chau and the tribe is significantly different. 

I am happy he he did not do more research. The tribe can not make fire on their own. I bet a lighter would impress them. 

Edited by DarkAnts
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

May I ask, why move it at all?

Chau clearly qualifies as a fundie. The discussion was very active.

I can understand filing it away into a sub-category after the discussion has wound down, but why make an active, relevant thread harder to find while people are interested? It was great where it was. I fear that a rich and relevant discussion is pretty much going to stop at this point.

I didn't even notice where it was.  I'm sorry.  I flubbed the merge and thought I'd fixed everything.  It's back where it belongs.

Today was my monthly City of Hope treatment day and I obviously wasn't back in form yet.  My apologies.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 25

Just though of something.  Aren't these the same people who are always touting about using lethal force i.e. guns to protect their property?  How come that right didn't extend to these people?  They even gave warnings.  Shoot and ask questions later.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

Hey my people ate Captain Cook and threw his body off the highest pali on O'ahu that Kamehameha reserved for war enemies. I don't LIKE that someone had to die,  but this was an act to protect that tribe completely. Whites in the US think it's okay to kill to protect some stupid material items but to kill some whackjob that is literally threatening the genocide of your people with disease THAT should be prosecuted? Hell no. I'm a Team Native/indigenous person supporting other Natives/indigenous people on this one.

Edited by zee_four
phone tyoo
  • Upvote 21
  • Love 10

Can you imagine if the world never ever tried to convert, force or start wars with their sacred beliefs on one another?  Wow. That'd be something else.  Who knows what life would look like now.......dooood.  

I kinda want to answer the door with a spear now when they come. And, they will.  Is that bad??

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I didn't even notice where it was.  I'm sorry.  I flubbed the merge and thought I'd fixed everything.  It's back where it belongs.

Today was my monthly City of Hope treatment day and I obviously wasn't back in form yet.  My apologies.

Best wishes for whatever treatment you were having! ???

• I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

His "preaching" consisted of yelling at them, in English, "My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves  you" and singing hymns. What an idiot.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/world/asia/andaman-missionary-john-chau.html

I think one thing that is important to remember is that this tribe is aware of the outside world. They have had limited contact with outsiders, and have a history of scavanging modern metal work, etc, that washes up on their shores. While many groups first contacted by Eurpoeans during the late 19th and first half of the 20th century welcomed contact because they wanted the stuff that came with it, the Sentinalese's actions have declared "Fuck that. We're fine." 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, Terrie said:

His "preaching" consisted of yelling at them, in English, "My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves  you" and singing hymns. What an idiot.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/world/asia/andaman-missionary-john-chau.html

I think one thing that is important to remember is that this tribe is aware of the outside world. They have had limited contact with outsiders, and have a history of scavanging modern metal work, etc, that washes up on their shores. While many groups first contacted by Eurpoeans during the late 19th and first half of the 20th century welcomed contact because they wanted the stuff that came with it, the Sentinalese's actions have declared "Fuck that. We're fine." 

They probably thought he was crazy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Terrie said:

Exactly. They absolutely know there are "people out there". They weren't shocked to see some human being come to their island because they thought they were the only ones or had no experience or knowledge of others. 

The know. And, frankly, most of their experiences brought death. They have chosen to live their own lives as they see fit. 

They are not hurting anyone and they are not interfering in anyone's life. They just...live. 

They will defend their way of life & choices if someone decides to invade. And, given what is very public information that is known about them, anyone going to their island is, in fact, an invader. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

15 hours ago, slh12280 said:

Just though of something.  Aren't these the same people who are always touting about using lethal force i.e. guns to protect their property?  How come that right didn't extend to these people?  They even gave warnings.  Shoot and ask questions later.  

Yes, or they are praising Trump for his stance on immigration. 

I remember when the Glasgow Airport incident happened people were praising the baggage handlers for dragging the would be terrorists out the Jeep and beating them. John Smeaton was on BBC News saying 'Come and try and attack us and we will set about you' As far as I'm concerned the Sentinalise people were doing the same thing protecting their land from a threat. Even if John Chau's intentions were just to convert them to Christianity, he was putting them at risk of disease. For all they knew Mr Chau could have been the first of an army of people trying to invade them. 

• Upvote 13

Looking at the Statement of Faith for All Nations explains a lot about this guy: https://allnations.us/about-us/statement-of-faith/.

Sounds like he would be the type to believe that God would wave his hand over Cahu and the islanders would magically understand his shouting in English. Lots of people want to call that kind of thinking mnetal illness, but I have to call if nothing but arrogance.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 4

On 11/27/2018 at 5:07 AM, Duggarite said:

I get that they’ll probably be better off with modern medicine and better housing and clean water,

There are folks right here in the good old US that would be better off with these things too. Flint, Michigan anyone?

On 11/25/2018 at 10:10 PM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

@HerNameIsBuffy yes I should have, as soon as I posted it I was totes sorry.  Very poor taste on my part and I feel very badly.   Going to prayer closet for reals.

If you regret a post before your edit window is over, you can delete the post content and say "never mind" or something similar.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 4

He reminds me of a few people in the church I grew up in. Doing missionary work and spreading the gospel - especially to people of color in South America, Africa and Asia, was seen as a good thing. "They don't know about Jesus and we are doing them the biggest favor there is by telling them about him! They'll get eternal life!" Something like that. 

This was an all white church (my country is over 95% white so most churchs only have a few if any members of color) and their view on people in the developing world was very simplistic and racist; they were all poor, illiterate, had little knowledge about anything (so naturally the missionaries had to help them), and had never heard of Christianity or Jesus. Mind you, this was in the 90s and 00s, not the 5th century. Most people in Africa, South America and parts of Asia already know about Jesus due to them being either Christian or Muslim. But that's something that was never adressed. Why the hell would you even go as a missionary to a country that has a higher percentage of Christians than your own country? Because it's not as fun "saving" white people? People really had a white savior complex, and they genuinely believed it was their duty to spread the word about Jesus. Especially to people of color. Sigh. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

I hope you’re doing well, @Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Looking at the Statement of Faith for All Nations explains a lot about this guy: https://allnations.us/about-us/statement-of-faith/.

Sounds like he would be the type to believe that God would wave his hand over Cahu and the islanders would magically understand his shouting in English. Lots of people want to call that kind of thinking mnetal illness, but I have to call if nothing but arrogance.

I stand by my statement that this dude (and I guess that entire organization) watched Pocahontas one too many times.  I imagine Chau thought he’d be running through the forest holding the hand of a Sentinelese woman singing, “Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?” at the top of his lungs. 

(And he misses the entire point of the song, “You think the only people who are people are the people who look and think like you”).

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

22 hours ago, zee_four said:

Hey my people ate Captain Cook and threw his body off the highest pali on O'ahu that Kamehameha reserved for war enemies. I don't LIKE that someone had to die,  but this was an act to protect that tribe completely. Whites in the US think it's okay to kill to protect some stupid material items but to kill some whackjob that is literally threatening the genocide of your people with disease THAT should be prosecuted? Hell no. I'm a Team Native/indigenous person supporting other Natives/indigenous people on this one.

As someone who was raised thinking we were of Cherokee descent, I understand and agree with you 100%.  The fact that we are not what we thought does not change the fact that my ancestors were raised with a lot of the cultural things.  I don't want to be accidentally insulting, it's kind of confusing at times because it's very familiar to quite a bit of what my daughter's Cherokee boyfriend has told me about how he was raised.  Anyway the point is, that they were simply defending their home and possibly their own lives against an invader.

8 minutes ago, SecularMusic said:

Don't plan the funeral just yet. Some of his friends and family think he may still be alive: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7835035/john-chau-missionary-killed-tribe-may-still-be-alive/

I can understand if his mother is having problems accepting his death.  She's his mother, and she loves him.  I think that is normal.  But the chances of his being alive are pretty slim.

Edited by Briefly
Because my computer keeps saving before I want it to! I think it's haunted.
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I can understand if his mother is having problems accepting his death.  She's his mother, and she loves him.  I think that is normal.  But the chances of his being alive are pretty slim.

Still, if they believe he is alive then he is busy building a rapport with the Sentinelese, learning their language, translating the bible, and teaching them the many uses of duct tape. This could take years, so stop sending people to the island to bring him home.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I was having a other though about what the tribe went through in regards to having to kill another human. I mean, they had 2 other chances to kill him right?  I sometimes think a *what if*; what if I had to kill to protect my family.  I sure would only if I had to. I would not be celebrating it however.  To take a life is very serious. They are probably traumatized and wondering if they need to further defend themselves.  The stress of the whole thing because of this fool. Terrible. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 5

In “this can’t get any worse, can it?” News, apparently there’s a thing called “tribal tourism” where people go to remote places to gawk at indigenous cultures. With the attention Chau’s death has brought the island, people are concerned that it’ll become a tourist destination. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/11/27/missionary-didn-die-from-tribesmen-arrows-was-killed-his-own-arrogance/QSblpdBocWWSs3HeS94TYP/story.html

• Sad 7
  • WTF 7

On 11/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, luv2laugh said:

He may have been stupid and egotistical but he didn't deserve to die. 

It's called consequences for ones actions, some eventually pay a price.

He knew the risks involved, he chose to gamble with his life, and paid the ultimate cost.

Through his reckless actions, hopefully he didn't endanger the indigenous with a virus, they're the innocents, they don't deserve to die.  

I'm not heartless, I only wish some would consider the consequences to self and others.

Edited by ALM7
words...
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

On 11/27/2018 at 9:48 PM, slh12280 said:

They wouldn't extend those right to them, because they aren't conservative American evangelicals who worship an emperor with no clothes.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2