IGNORED

Erin and Chad 4: Hoping She Loses the Polka Dot Cape

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, Hisey said:

The Bates' girls who leave their hair dark are much more attractive than the ones who go for the fake bleached blond look.

Erin, in particular, is going to fry out her hair if she keeps this up.

• Move Along 3

I think Erin has recently changed her hair and eye makeup, and more and more I've thought "Is that Katie or Erin?". It's not a bad thing, I think it's a bit more youthful/modern and it suits her. 

• Upvote 9

30 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I think Erin has recently changed her hair and eye makeup, and more and more I've thought "Is that Katie or Erin?". It's not a bad thing, I think it's a bit more youthful/modern and it suits her. 

I agree. I actually think Erin has been looking great! Whatever she did different with her hair/makeup was a good choice (IMHO)

• Upvote 8

Erin is my pet fundie so I'm biased but really, I think that comment about her hair is a bit mean. She probably just got it done. On Thanksgiving, her hair was more her natural color, which IS much lighter than Tori's/Kelly's. My natural hair color is very similar to Erin's - started out platinum as a child (like Carson) and slowly faded over the years. That being said, I still consider myself blonde. Since people with my hair color frequently feel that their hair  has become a weird in-between in adulthood, and since they were blonde their whole life, we frequently lighten it. For natural blondes, there are even conditioning shampoos that will do this without going to a salon. Erin has a lot of things to snark on, but she really is beautiful, and it would take extensive upkeep for her to have Tori-colored hair as well. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:43 AM, neurogirl said:

I think that comment about her hair is a bit mean.

Why? It's just an opinion. This is a snark board. There are other boards where you can praise Erin (and other "pet fundies") to the skies. This is not one of them.

To me, it seems her hair coloring dries out her hair and looks unnaturally bright. Same with Alyssa. If they left their hair alone, they would still be beautiful women. Maybe they are using cheap box color.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Josie's hair color looks much more natural and less damaging to her hair.

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

Why? It's just an opinion. This is a snark board. There are other boards where you can praise Erin (and other "pet fundies") to the skies. This is not one of them.

From the guidelines:

Keep BEC comments to a minimum

Please keep the majority of your comments/snark based on the beliefs/ideology/philosophy of the people who you are speaking about.   It is natural for a snark site to have some "bitch eating crackers" (BEC*) type commentary and that is fine, but please make it the exception, not the rule.

*BEC =/= snark.  If you don't understand the difference ask!

This board also doesn't exist to criticize their hair. It's not like it's against the rules, but it's also not surprising that you'd get some pushback on it, because it is BEC and has absolutely nothing to do with their ideology.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

To me, it seems her hair coloring dries out her hair and looks unnaturally bright. Same with Alyssa. If they left their hair alone, they would still be beautiful women. Maybe they are using cheap box color.

Oh, Hisey, honey. If you're gonna troll and claim not to be a troll, you have to be consistent about it. Come on, even you can do better than this. 

Are you the all-giving altruist who never gives a thought to home decor, weddings, or fashion because you are too busy working with the homeless and being the perfect mother to your two daughters (who are too busy studying to ever take a selfie)? Or are you the type to make catty comments about a woman using "cheap box color"?

You kind of have to pick a side. I've accepted that you get something out of being a pain in the ass. But at least don't insult my intelligence in the process.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@nausicaa Lol. That’s so true. If she was running around to the salon, it would be a “why isn’t she spending more time with her kids?”

Consistency please. 

• Upvote 6

Only a troll could possibly have a negative opinion about Erin Bates hair.

Every negative comment about the Bates is the work of a troll. 

LOL, I've gone to salons and I've done colored at home. Actually takes a lot longer at home. So maybe Erin should go to a salon so that she can have more time her kids. 

It seems sad to have such a girl-crush on Erin Bates that you can't tolerate a comment that doesn't praise her. But the truth is, if she keeps bleaching away like that for 30+ years, her hair is going to be a mess. I've seen it happen with friends of mine.

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 3
  • Downvote 11

@Hisey This is like a playground. No dingbat. We just can’t tolerate comments from you and have resorted to your level. I/we used to think you were quasi-intelligent. Over time, all attempts at logic with you have failed, across the board. 

You run away when confronted. Like a troll.

You bait with pettiness. Like a troll.

You nitpick and say “who me.” Like a troll.

You play dumb and pretend nothing has ever happened before. Like a troll.

And, you are growing increasingly petty. If you gave a shit about your behavior you wouldn’t act like this.

The point was that if Erin had gone to a salon YOU still would have trashed her for being a bad mom. You seem to have a desire to stir shit about Erin and other Bates in any way possible. And it has started not to make sense. We are all for trashing humpers. Most of us just apply logic and reason. You lack these gifts.

Not that it matters. You’ll bait back or ignore me. You are annoying and yet manage not to break rules. People need to be aware.

• Upvote 14

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

This board also doesn't exist to criticize their hair. It's not like it's against the rules, but it's also not surprising that you'd get some pushback on it, because it is BEC and has absolutely nothing to do with their ideology.

I think we need a “bitch eating crackers” reaction button.  Jillymuffin seems to get the brunt of BEC.  She and ofjill do enough really truly stupid and fundie hateful stuff to snark on, but people are more worried about every can of soup she uses. 

I can maybe understand a little of the snark about Erin’s “unnatural” hair since she didn’t want to go to the state school because she might have to sit next to someone with green hair. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, JingerSnaps said:

I think we need a “bitch eating crackers” reaction button.  Jillymuffin seems to get the brunt of BEC.  She and ofjill do enough really truly stupid and fundie hateful stuff to snark on, but people are more worried about every can of soup she uses. 

I can maybe understand a little of the snark about Erin’s “unnatural” hair since she didn’t want to go to the state school because she might have to sit next to someone with green hair. 

I agree with you to an extent. Certain fundies get a lot of flack. But also, some posters are completely obnoxious and at times they need to be called out. It can generate what looks like extreme or disproportionate reactions. I guarantee you that my response has nothing to do with the green hair. Reasonable posters frequently admit when their motivations for a post are BEC.  Reasonable posters are also willing to engage in discussions when questioned or challenged. @Hisey has historically done neither.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I agree with you to an extent. Certain fundies get a lot of flack. But also, some posters are completely obnoxious and at times they need to be called out. It can generate what looks like extreme or disproportionate reactions. I guarantee you that my response has nothing to do with the green hair. Reasonable posters frequently admit when their motivations for a post are BEC.  Reasonable posters are also willing to engage in discussions when questioned or challenged. @Hisey has historically done neither.

There has been an over abundance of trolling behavior the last few weeks. As the my disfunctional family’s peace keeper it stresses me out. I also makes me compulsively want to post middle of the road stuff to bridge divides.  I’ve lurked on and off for years rarely posting. The trolls have brought me out of hiding.  I really should just take a break until the trolls go back under their bridges. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, JingerSnaps said:

There has been an over abundance of trolling behavior the last few weeks. As the my disfunctional family’s peace keeper it stresses me out. I also makes me compulsively want to post middle of the road stuff to bridge divides.  I’ve lurked on and off for years rarely posting. The trolls have brought me out of hiding.  I really should just take a break until the trolls go back under their bridges. 

I completely understand. It’s true. There have been a lot of trolls. My own reaction is to make lengthy posts in an attempt to shut down bullshit. We are so tolerant here at FJ that sometimes we go around and around with various posters on things for some time.

I imagine the holidays percolates the waters and also makes some of us want to come here to relax. 

I am sorry if my post was personally stressful. ❤️

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Just now, AliceInFundyland said:

I completely understand. It’s true. There have been a lot of trolls. My own reaction is to make lengthy posts in an attempt to shut down bullshit. We are so tolerant here at FJ that sometimes we go around and around with various posters on things for some time.

I imagine the holidays percolates the waters and also makes some of us want to come here to relax. 

I am sorry if my post was personally stressful. ❤️

I was not by any means calling you out. I very much agreed with you.  It was a more general feeling about the FJ spirit the last few weeks. It’s always been a relaxing place with a few laughs.  Holidays and a baby drought (thank Rufus) have left space for thread drift galore, BEC, and trolls. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, JingerSnaps said:

I was not by any means calling you out. I very much agreed with you.  It was a more general feeling about the FJ spirit the last few weeks. It’s always been a relaxing place with a few laughs.  Holidays and a baby drought (thank Rufus) have left space for thread drift galore, BEC, and trolls. 

I agree. But I will say that I feel that the Bates and Duggar threads on FJ have been mostly pregnancy/courtship speculation, thread drift and BEC for quite some time. I don’t mind and enjoy it and still learned a lot about Christian fundamentalism in the USA and American society in general.

And especially Erin and Chad get cut so much slack I can’t grasp it. Derick spills hate on Social Media but I think he is not the person to successfully lure people into the cult. Erin and Chad on the other side are THE poster marriage for it AND probably vote to bring very conservative Christians with horrible agendas  into power.

And I also think her new hair colour doesn’t look the best. Same goes for Josie (who looks very washed out, maybe another blond tone would have been better). For the “fried” look- I believe it’s just not styled. If I let my hair just air dry and only brush it with four streaks it kind of looks similar.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

And especially Erin and Chad get cut so much slack I can’t grasp it. Derick spills hate on Social Media but I think he is not the person to successfully lure people into the cult. Erin and Chad on the other side are THE poster marriage for it AND probably vote to bring very conservative Christians with horrible agendas  into power.

Erin and Chad are another fundie couple who largely keep their ideologies off of social media, Erin sometimes posts about what she's reading in the Bible or about being thankful for her family, but nothing to get people's backs up.  They are a good-looking couple with 3 cute children, to anyone who didn't/don't know about their backgrounds they look like a normal Christian family.  What's more, they look like the poster children for marital happiness - they come across as being blissfully in love with each other!  Snarkin is difficult when someone doesn't say or do (publicly) anything contentious.

As for Derrick and his hateful vitriol, someone needs to point him in the direction of John 13:34-35

(A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.)

Maybe he'd remember that hate speech is very unchristian!

• Upvote 10

19 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I agree. But I will say that I feel that the Bates and Duggar threads on FJ have been mostly pregnancy/courtship speculation, thread drift and BEC for quite some time. I don’t mind and enjoy it and still learned a lot about Christian fundamentalism in the USA and American society in general.

And I also think her new hair colour doesn’t look the best. Same goes for Josie (who looks very washed out, maybe another blond tone would have been better). For the “fried” look- I believe it’s just not styled. If I let my hair just air dry and only brush it with four streaks it kind of looks similar.

It used to be constant gushing in this thread about how wonderful Chad appears to be to Erin and their kids, comments about Erin’s musical talents, sympathy over their struggles to have children, etc. I do think that things have improved a bit on that front recently though. There’s been more discussion about Erin’s carefully worded statement rejecting Bill Gothard, but how she didn’t reject IBLP. There’s been discussion about how Erin, intentionally or not, seems to favor Carson over Brooklyn. There’s been discussion about how both of their fathers are on the IBLP Board and helped to conceal Gothard’s scandals. There’s been more discussion about Dr. Paine telling one of Gothard’s victims to eat a protein bar when she went to him for help and how Chad’s sister, Tabitha, married a convicted rapist. 

There’s still more gushing then I’d like at times, but I feel that it’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be. The Bateses have been public figures for a while at this point and the ugliness can’t be completely concealed forever. I don’t know if the gushing over Cherin will ever stop completely, but I do think the tide has recently turned a bit against them here. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

This latest post has #besthubbyever vibes. Just too much gushing. I think it’s odd to share our of your journal (which she acknowledges). It is nice to see some good stuff written about Brooklyn though. If nothing else more, maybe she’ll see this when she’s older and feel good.

On a slightly different note, I’ve been down with the flu and bored. I rewatched some BUB and Chad just came across as too good to be true.  I’ve never thought too much about him before, but I just felt bothered by him (maybe my fever is getting to me ?) The episode I watched was him helping Erin and some others redo Kelly and Gil’s house while they are in Utah. They say he worked all day then stayed up all night finishing the project. And he wasn’t given a heads up about the project. I’d be frustrated if I were him! I know they are going to show their best side for TV and IG, but I’d love to know some things that Chad falls short on. Erin’s journal sure doesnt mention anything  

Edited by mstee
  • Upvote 1

Erin plans to be patient 29/7 in 2019. Maybe that’s why she has time to do her hair.

• Haha 16

Her handwriting is impeccable, she must have practiced 29/7 as a kid.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Haha 15

That journal entry has to be scripted. It’s like a unicorn wearing a halo riding a rainbow up to God.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

That journal entry has to be scripted. It’s like a unicorn wearing a halo riding a rainbow up to God.

Haha it reminds me of when I was a teenager. After I found out that my mom had found and read my diary (and I got in big trouble because I was being honest in it and she didn't like my "thoughts' ) so I smartened up and had one that my mom could/would find and read and another one where I could express my heart and be real without fear of getting into trouble. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

The reason I don’t enjoy “journaling” is because I don’t like having records of my angst. I do like making lists and things. 

That’s not even a conversation with God or musings. It’s a thank you, things are perfect. We know she has bad days. She even photographs them. But who the hell wants to photograph that journal entry? Not a Bates girl. 

Oh Erin. Too much pressure to be perfect. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

It grosses me out that of 4 goals she's set for herself in regards to her children in 2019, only one of them doesn't involve Jesus in some way.

Pray for children, Help them memorize scripture, Bible Study, and be more patient (29/7 ?).

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic