IGNORED

Erin and Chad 4: Hoping She Loses the Polka Dot Cape

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Who is going to do the electrical wiring for that house--Evan, the student electrician? For that matter, has Chad ever flipped a house before? It takes more than construction skills. It takes knowledge of the market, good timing, and some knowledge of financing. How is he paying his brother-in-laws during this process? How is he paying himself?

On a certain level, I think this shows some really grandiose thinking. Well, I'm good with tools and everyone admires my furniture. I must be smart enough to time the market, figure out a good location, choose a good house, figure out a good price to buy it, completely renovate it, determine a good sales price, and market it. Nevermind that people have spent years learning those skills.  I'm sure I can outbid all those season real estate agents who are trying to do the same. And renovating a house? How hard can that be? I'll figure it out. 

I agree that the venture seems very risky. Althought the furniture store seemed very risky too.

At least he has a lot of people that can help with this, and in the furniture shop he was on his own. He has the young boys helping with the construction. Both Evan and his brother Ethan (that has been around the Bateses a lot in the last months) are studying to become electricians. And they also have Kelton that is a licensed plumber. And then they have Whitney that can help selling the house since she is a realtor.

Chad didnt flip a house before, but i bet he did a lot of work in the house Zach restored. And that house turned out great, so who knows. I dont think the problem is going to be the inability to do the job, but like how many houses in need of restoration can be in a small town like they live in?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

Ugh, the Logan flys for Jesus guy is in the mix. (Chads picture)

Isn’t he the one rumored to be “getting to know” Katie?

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TeaELSee said:

Ugh, the Logan flys for Jesus guy is in the mix. (Chads picture)

Isn’t he the one rumored to be “getting to know” Katie?

He surely is around the Bateses a lot! not only he works for Chad, he also goes to church with them and he is the one behind the camera in a lot of the facebook lives. In one of them people asked who he was and Kelly said he is a family friend. Maybe he is the male Laura lol

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, llucie said:

I agree that the venture seems very risky. Althought the furniture store seemed very risky too.

At least he has a lot of people that can help with this, and in the furniture shop he was on his own. He has the young boys helping with the construction. Both Evan and his brother Ethan (that has been around the Bateses a lot in the last months) are studying to become electricians. And they also have Kelton that is a licensed plumber. And then they have Whitney that can help selling the house since she is a realtor.

Chad didnt flip a house before, but i bet he did a lot of work in the house Zach restored. And that house turned out great, so who knows. I dont think the problem is going to be the inability to do the job, but like how many houses in need of restoration can be in a small town like they live in?

So Evan, Whitney and Kelton should work for free? What happens if he makes a mistake? A step comes loose and the owner breaks a leg? Stuff like that happens and you have to be prepared and insured. But what insurance takes you in if you are untrained? And what is about mistakes the boys might make. They are still children.

I am very good at some renovation stuff but I would never dream of taking money for it. Too much responsibility. „Jana- the concert pianist“ strikes again.

I don’t get why he couldn’t keep his job and also do his furniture stuff. If it would have paid off good over a period of one or two years there would have been a basis for leaving the other job. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

So Evan, Whitney and Kelton should work for free? What happens if he makes a mistake? A step comes loose and the owner breaks a leg? Stuff like that happens and you have to be prepared and insured. But what insurance takes you in if you are untrained? And what is about mistakes the boys might make. They are still children.

I am very good at some renovation stuff but I would never dream of taking money for it. Too much responsibility. „Jana- the concert pianist“ strikes again.

I don’t get why he couldn’t keep his job and also do his furniture stuff. If it would have paid off good over a period of one or two years there would have been a basis for leaving the other job. 

I don't either. That would have made more sense. A steady income while building up a business and customers for the furniture business. 

• Upvote 3

I have a friend who is a plumber. He's done work for us for years, ever since he was first starting out. There's an enormous difference in his work (even I can tell!) from those early years until now. 

It's nice that Kelton is a plumber, but he is still a relative newbie at it. It actually takes years of study to get certified in different levels of plumber. It's much harder than I ever realized.

My point is, that Chad's is renovating his house with the help of a newbie plumber, a student electrician (I assume Evan will help), a brand-new realtor and some teenage boys. I'm not saying it won't come out nice, but I am sure there will be mistakes, sometimes costly ones, things that need to be re-done, things that are done poorly that they hope no one will realize. . . 

I'm sorry, but building furniture is not the same as renovating a house.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

20 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Kelly posted about Chad and his business recently.  

Hide contents

It's just so weird that Kelly thinks a shirt, tie, and slacks is normal college attire. I don't get why Crown makes them dress up so much, especially when in the rest of their lives (except for church) they dress pretty casually. Is college supposed to be like constant church? So the dangers of learning are minimized if you're constantly thinking about Jesus?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Nevermind, i was assuming he was working on his own. But i just watched this and at 5:20 he clearly states that hes is fliping the house FOR A COMPANY.

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

6 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It's just so weird that Kelly thinks a shirt, tie, and slacks is normal college attire. I don't get why Crown makes them dress up so much, especially when in the rest of their lives (except for church) they dress pretty casually. Is college supposed to be like constant church? So the dangers of learning are minimized if you're constantly thinking about Jesus?

It was a joke at Hyles-Anderson:

A: Did you see Joe yesterday? He got demerits for streaking.

B: Really?

A: Yeah, forgot to put on a tie.

or

A: Did you hear Sally got demerits for being immodest on campus?

B: No, not Sally!

A: Yep, all her hose had runs in them so she thought she would run over buy some at the campus store before class. Got caught on her way there.

• Upvote 7

Because this cult doesn't believe a man should work for anybody but himself or his family. He should only be answerable God. At least that's the way I understand it.
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, llucie said:

Nevermind, i was assuming he was working on his own. But i just watched this and at 5:20 he clearly states that hes is fliping the house FOR A COMPANY.

Thanks for posting that. I tried watching, really tried, and finally shut it down at 1:45. Why would they broadcast such ridiculous nonsense? Carlin is just so extremely... Carlinish.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Bobology said:

Thanks for posting that. I tried watching, really tried, and finally shut it down at 1:45. Why would they broadcast such ridiculous nonsense? Carlin is just so extremely... Carlinish.

It's just annoying chatter and so unprofessional. Couldn't someone watch the babies in another room? Although actually, they were the least annoying part.

• Upvote 3

This is so cute I almost just broke my own rule about never 'liking' fundie content. *Terrible beliefs, terrible beliefs*

• Upvote 8

Man I cant believe Everly and Zoe are damn near one already. If neither Alyssa or Erin are pregnant, thats at least somewhat of a spacing for the next one.

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

Because this cult doesn't believe a man should work for anybody but himself or his family. He should only be answerable God. At least that's the way I understand it.

I know they used to say that but they are not longer following it, are they? i mean its not only Chad, all of them are working for others except Lawson and Kelton (and even him works for his uncle).

3 hours ago, llucie said:

I know they used to say that but they are not longer following it, are they? i mean its not only Chad, all of them are working for others except Lawson and Kelton (and even him works for his uncle).

They aren't as strict on it as the Duggars, but they do have that mindset. Zach really took one for the team by going to work for the sheriff's department. IBLP and even colleges like Crown equate work with opportunities to minister. When I was buying a house the first time, I hired an inspector to come look before I signed the papers. He was an independent contractor type who was an IBLP follower. He insisted on talking to my father and criticized him (to me) for allowing me to buy a house and live alone when I wasn't married. I made a big stink about it and threatened to fire him on the spot if he did that sort of thing again. 

Chad and Erin might be saying they aren't involved with IBLP now, but they are certainly still following the life. The idea is that if you are self employed you can minister to others and protect your soul by not reporting and answering to someone who might be a heathen. I think that part of the Bates family excuse for breaking this rule is that most of them who are working work for someone within their own church or other IBLP people. Logistically it would be very hard to sustain if all nine boys started their own business along with all 10 brothers-in-law, all the grandchildren eventually, etc. So it is becoming acceptable to work for someone else if they are similarly ensconced in the faith. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2

7 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

He insisted on talking to my father and criticized him (to me) for allowing me to buy a house and live alone when I wasn't married. I made a big stink about it and threatened to fire him on the spot if he did that sort of thing again. 

You're nicer than I am, I would have fired him right then.  I can't believe people think that's an okay thing to say. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Man I cant believe Everly and Zoe are damn near one already. If neither Alyssa or Erin are pregnant, thats at least somewhat of a spacing for the next one.

Allie Jane and Lexi are 21 months apart, so Alyssa got pregnant around Allie's first birthday. With Zoey, the gap was way shorter!

But in Erin's case, I think she has gotten pregnant before Carson and then Brook were 1 year old. Her gaps are really short! 

I think both of them have inherit Kelly's fertility.  

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 5

I expect a rush of Bates pregnancies any minute. Josie is pregnant. Whitney will be pregnant soon. Erin and Alyssa any second.  Tori is on a slightly different track but perhaps she will announce number 2 when Carlin announces number 1 and they can have those babies together in Nashville.  

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 1

So do I. Erin and Alyssa any second with Whitney not that far behind. We'll about Tori since she just had Kade back in November. I do think she'll announce again sometime this year but maybe not until the end of it.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I feel like she's ALWAYS redecorating. 

Well, she's always pregnant so...

6 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Is that still a belief that is really pushed, or has that fallen out of favor like the skirts-only thing?

At least with the Bateses, Zach and Trace work for the Sheriff's Department, Brandon works for IBLP, Chad and Bobby worked for that scrap metal plant. And I'm not sure if Evan's office job was a family job or for a larger company?

I know it's different for the women because their jobs are viewed more as "hobbies," but Whitney works as a realtor ostensibly under a realty office, Tori was studying to be a teacher at a Christian school, and Josie worked at a salon. Michael also worked as a nanny for a neighboring family. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

Jesus, I forgot that Erin and Alyssa were due for pregnancies already. It seems like it's going to be Baby O'Clock all year long. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic