IGNORED

Erin and Chad 4: Hoping She Loses the Polka Dot Cape

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, dharmapunk said:

Actually I believe some mothers would carry their disabled baby to term if it was certain that the baby would die quickly.  I think the greatest fear is that a baby might survive for days, weeks, months...full of suffering without hope of a "happy" outcome.

But with the US healthcars system being what it is, I think there might also be mothers who make the decision to abort a disabled baby for economic reasons or because they know they would not have enough support to be able to raise a child with disabilities. This is were all those Christians could step in, if they wanted to. But it seems all they want to do is scream about how abortion is murder. ?

In my country healthcare is free. Abortion for medical reasons is free, too. In general, women don't carry extremely disabled babies (I mean, those who won't live) if they can avoid it, while it would have no economical cost for them. The emotional cost is too hard, I guess.

So I doubt that free healthcare in US would change the situation. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Surely who and why are related. Why are women seeking late-term abortions? Because of their demographic profile. Because they happen to be from a disadvantaged socioeconomic group. 

Yeah, okay, I defined late term as after 20 weeks, so included the second trimester. 

EDIT: Okay, so having had a look at the NY thread and this paper from the first page https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/ss/ss6713a1.htm, it references on to the abstracts of the following papers on second trimester abortion (half of which I would define as late term, or even 16 weeks tbh) 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20399953 "women requesting second trimester abortions were more likely to report: obstacles financing the abortion, traveling long distances. These women were less often employed outside the home." 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24188634 "Most women seeking later abortion fit at least one of five profiles: They were raising children alone, were depressed or using illicit substances, were in conflict with a male partner or experiencing domestic violence, had trouble deciding and then had access problems, or were young and nulliparous."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16394050 "Factors associated with second-trimester abortion in logistic regression were prior second-trimester abortion, delay in obtaining state insurance, difficulty locating a provider, initial referral elsewhere, and uncertainty about last menstrual period."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16982236 "The most common reasons for delay were that it took a long time to make arrangements (59%), to decide (39%) and to find out about the pregnancy (36%). Poor women were about twice as likely to be delayed by difficulties in making arrangements."

This doesn't at all show that women are aborting for financial reasons. It shows that when women are aborting is affected by their financial situation, regardless of what their reason for aborting is.  So whereas a woman with more financial resources can more easily get an abortion in the first trimester, poor women are more likely to be unable to get an abortion arranged until 2nd trimester. But this doesn't affect why they're having the abortion in the first place.  And yes, 2nd trimeter abortions that could have been 1st trimester abortions if the mother had more resources aren't likely to be primarily because of fetal or maternal health issues.  Free abortions on demand without waiting periods would lead to a lot fewer 2nd trimester abortions. 

But I also wouldn't consider abortions before 20 weeks anything close to 'late-term'.  

Edited by lumpentheologie
spelling
  • Upvote 16

Really, what are Erin and Chad doing to help pregnant single teen moms? Or those moms who have their babies but give them up? Nothing. Instead, they have baby after baby themselves, which makes them less able to help anyone.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Well I am glad Erin posted this. It was a good reminder how these people see their babies as tools for their harmful propaganda.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Quick post something else! Kelly and Gil got their bedroom made over. 

I don't normally worry about the hidden meaning, but Erin's post could start a rumor with many families. She refers to it as her mother's bedroom and not her parents' bedroom. In my family, they'd be asking if Gil had a separate bedroom. 

I will be glad when the farmhouse style runs its course. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I don't normally worry about the hidden meaning, but Erin's post could start a rumor with many families. She refers to it as her mother's bedroom and not her parents' bedroom. In my family, they'd be asking if Gil had a separate bedroom. 

What would the issue be? Lots of married couples have separate bedrooms. 

• Upvote 4

i mostly like the room.  the colors are good (like @rebeccawriter01, i'm not into farmhouse style; it's mainly the white-everything i find cold-looking, but that's just me), and the whole thing is a nice blend of masculine and feminine.  what i don't like is the bed blocking the window, but i don't like any large furniture in front of a window.  i'd also prefer the rug to be along the sides of the bed rather than just the foot.  and i'd go for a second dresser instead of the sofa on the side, because in my house, that would just be a laundry-catcher.  other than that, it's pretty nice.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Many do, but that would be an indication of a problem in a family in their area. My mother, who is from Clinton (just beside Rocky Top), once traveled on vacation with me and her sister. My father had to work. The entire extended family freaked out, including my great grandmother who pulled Mom aside to ask if there were problems in the marriage. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Erin corrected herself in Bates Face live last night and said actually meant her parents room.

Also, she said Chad has a company "Paine construction" and he's working in flipping houses along with Trace and Jackson. And with Whitney's help they are scearching for a new house.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 7

8 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Erin corrected herself in Bates Face live last night and said actually meant her parents room.

Also, she said Chad has a company "Paine construction" and he's working in flipping houses along with Trace and Jackson. And with Whitney's help they are scearching for a new house.

Well, she could be lying, and her parents sleep in separate bedrooms. More likely, though, she just said "mom's bedroom" because she was thinking that her mom would most appreciate the re-decoration.

This house flipping. It's a popular fundie way of trying to earn a living. The thing is, lots of people do it, people with great experience in real estate, construction, business, etc. I think Chad is talented in carpentry. Other than that, though, I wonder how a group of uneducated adults are going to make a living off house flipping. It's a good way to get yourself into trouble, by buying a house and not being able to sell or recoup your costs.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Oh good. Erin will soon have the room to adopt all the babies that would have been otherwise aborted now. :pb_rollseyes:

21 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Quick post something else! Kelly and Gil got their bedroom made over. 

Didn’t they already do a makeover of their parents’ room on the show? 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I would think separate bedrooms for married couples would be a big no no in Gothard Circles, though. How can you joyfully submit to your husband at all times otherwise?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Why do they keep remodling that room? I guess Kelly...and Gil like to stay up with current trends. 

You know, it would be interesting if Kelly and Gil had separate rooms. I know it is more common than expected for older couples to migrate into their own bedrooms, anyhow. I think Gilly Jo are a bit on the younger side for that, but I wouldn't think it odd if they admitted to it. But then again, they have a brand to maintain...

7 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Why do they keep remodling that room? I guess Kelly...and Gil like to stay up with current trends. 

You know, it would be interesting if Kelly and Gil had separate rooms. I know it is more common than expected for older couples to migrate into their own bedrooms, anyhow. I think Gilly Jo are a bit on the younger side for that, but I wouldn't think it odd if they admitted to it. But then again, they have a brand to maintain...

I'd think it would be more comfortable, but totally off brand for them. We're talking about a couple who act put upon if they spend the night apart. It would also make the commandment signs and pillows about snuggling and cuddling really odd. 

And maybe it's just me, but I don't know that I would want to have giant photos of myself and a significant other plastering the bathroom. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I like the colors they used a lot. It is weird that they redecorated their room again, maybe it wasn’t a surprise this time?

The bed looks like a queen, If we didn’t have a king size bed we would have separate bedrooms. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

The bed looks like a queen, If we didn’t have a king size bed we would have separate bedrooms

Ah you spoiled americans! ?? 

In many countries queen size beds are the typical ones for a couple. King size beds usually are too big for regular bedrooms.

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Ah you spoiled americans! ?? 

In many countries queen size beds are the typical ones for a couple. King size beds usually are too big for regular bedrooms.

I think this is probably the case for the majority of Americans as well, honestly.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

h you spoiled americans! ?? 

I am a spoiled American, but we did have an older house 8 years ago with small bedrooms and we smashed the king bed in that room. I had to keep my dresser in the guest room.  It was worth it!  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On 2/1/2019 at 11:41 AM, VelociRapture said:

Didn’t they already do a makeover of their parents’ room on the show? 

Now that you brought it up, yes, pretty sure they did. Back when JB finagled with TLC (probably) to add a house to the front of the Bates' original house, the Duggar girls were in charge of the decorating and colors, weren't they? To me that is really weird to have teen girls in charge of choosing colors for another family's house, and I don't know if it was done with K&G's input or not. I do remember Tori making a loud dissing comment about one of the colors and Jill gave a funny look and went back to painting that funny color on something. (In my opinion it WAS a funny/funky color.)

Then when they showed the re-do, it seems like it was done hastily as a surprise while K&G were out of town briefly. Again, K&G seemed to have no choice in the colors/decor. 

Perhaps this current re-do is the first time Kelly has had any say-so in any part of it and that is why Erin referred to it as her mom's bedroom. Gil might not even care what they do to it (as long as it isn't totally pink, Erin.) 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I am a spoiled American, but we did have an older house 8 years ago with small bedrooms and we smashed the king bed in that room. I had to keep my dresser in the guest room.  It was worth it!  

I agree. Our bedroom is maybe half the size of Gil and Kelly's, and we DO have our kingsize bed in there. That and two nightstands are the only furniture. Our dresser fits in the small walk-in closet, thankfully.

It's all about priorities though. Some people genuinely don't need more space at night. Personally, my husband almost threw me out of bed every night when we still shared a queen, so a big bed is definitely a priority for us. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Bobology said:

Now that you brought it up, yes, pretty sure they did. Back when JB finagled with TLC (probably) to add a house to the front of the Bates' original house, the Duggar girls were in charge of the decorating and colors, weren't they? To me that is really weird to have teen girls in charge of choosing colors for another family's house, and I don't know if it was done with K&G's input or not. I do remember Tori making a loud dissing comment about one of the colors and Jill gave a funny look and went back to painting that funny color on something. (In my opinion it WAS a funny/funky color.)

Then when they showed the re-do, it seems like it was done hastily as a surprise while K&G were out of town briefly. Again, K&G seemed to have no choice in the colors/decor. 

Perhaps this current re-do is the first time Kelly has had any say-so in any part of it and that is why Erin referred to it as her mom's bedroom. Gil might not even care what they do to it (as long as it isn't totally pink, Erin.) 

I know about the episode on the Duggars’ old show, but I was talking about the Bates kids redoing their parents’ room on “Bringing Up Bates.” I think it was one of the first seasons. I remember Erin helped redecorate it while Kelly and Gil were traveling (as usual.)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

^^^ Yes, that is the same time I was thinking about. Sometimes my mind creates what I remember from these "we have eleventy kids" shows. That's why I'm wondering about this latest re-do... perhaps Kelly actually had her own preferences and got them this time. The other times other people were in charge of the decor.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, JillyO said:

I agree. Our bedroom is maybe half the size of Gil and Kelly's, and we DO have our kingsize bed in there. That and two nightstands are the only furniture. Our dresser fits in the small walk-in closet, thankfully.

It's all about priorities though. Some people genuinely don't need more space at night. Personally, my husband almost threw me out of bed every night when we still shared a queen, so a big bed is definitely a priority for us. :pb_lol:

Just to add: in many countries there are no such things as built in closets/ walk in closets (or en-suite bathrooms or pantries). There are just the normal rooms. Many even don’t have guest rooms as they need the rooms for the children. Some have a home office/guest room combination. But you wouldn’t want to store all your clothing there either I guess. So there is just no other room to put your wardrobe/dresser apart from your bedroom.

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic