IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

I don’t get why they “fundraise” only with immediate family. Makes no sense. Why not do breakfast for people at the church or with other people. I know I’m asking a lot but they could get a lot more money actually fundraising. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it complex to schedule when they all get together on Sundays for lunch/dinner? Just do it then.

The whole thing sounds stupid. Why do they have to have a speech and demo of a box when you're asking the same group of "extended family" for cash? The Fam already knows what the project is because it's literally the only thing they do to "help" others. And how is that "the lord providing" when they have already purchased the items? Buying something without having the cash already - isn't that a form of (gasp) debt?

I understand little kids do fundraisers like this and I don't fault the "Littles". I did too as a kid though I can't remember putting together a speech to ask my aunts and uncles to buy chocolate bars or wrapping paper but OK. But Operation Cheap Crap and Tracts seems to be Anna&Mary's Thing and this seems like an exceptionally lazy and lousy way for adults to fund their favorite charity project.

8 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I don’t get why they “fundraise” only with immediate family. Makes no sense. Why not do breakfast for people at the church or with other people. I know I’m asking a lot but they could get a lot more money actually fundraising. 

You have to associate with other people to get money out of them.  Idk if they still do "church" at the nursing home but I am sure they'd be (rightfully) booted if they tried to do it there.

Who else do they know, besides in-laws?  

Besides, if they tried to include others that could lead to all kinds of chaos like the unmarried kids having conversations with people with whom they share no DNA, about topics like the under privileged and how to best help the world at large.  Or maybe even traffic, or the weather.  That would be MADNESS!

Why does Abby have to practice? It’s not like this is for a group that’s never heard of it or for school. 

First couple of photos everyone looks so bored...

its not the lord providing if you’re only asking family year after year. 

Franklin Graham's politics aside I also pack shoeboxes because it's a one-on-one way to help. I don't honestly care if they want to seek God. There. That part is out of the way. Now, hands up if you think the Maxwell's shoe boxes are as boring as their blog posts?? As long as they put in plenty of school supplies, and something more fun than only a rubber duckie I can live with them helping.

1 hour ago, terranova said:

Jesse clearly loves mountain climbing, by his writing it is a passion, not just something his Father makes him do on trips to Colorado. He is also a reasonablt decent writer, atleast, hes more immaginative and interesting that his sisters. I hope Steve doesn't take either of these things away from him.

I wish I'd crossed paths with them when they were here in my town. I bet if Jesse hiked with me and my friends, some local young people, then when we got to the summit joined in and had a local craft beer or two and a few hits of a joint, he'd be a lot of fun and really write some interesting stuff. 

Stevehova of course would never allow it, even if we pretended to be a Christian youth group. But hey it's nice to dream.

50 minutes ago, bertnee said:

Why is it complex to schedule when they all get together on Sundays for lunch/dinner? Just do it then.

Exactly. But it has to sound like they have real lives. We know better.

As to fundraising--if friends or strangers want to help me I take it. It isn't cheap to do this. I imagine they get their money from neighbors who want them to go away and from other like-minded families who buy Sarah's so-called books and the families "products".

This tops my list for one of the weirder posts since I started following them (admittedly not that long).  They do a whole fundraiser performance for their “extended” family?!  

I am wondering if this was a potential run through for a bigger fundraiser (at the nursing home?)  but Sarah sucks so much at actually telling the details that she neglected to mention that. 

So, they hit the "extended family" up for donations year after year and yet Sarah says the Lord provided?

I didn't see God in that kitchen reaching into his wallet.

Is Bethany 'sharing' using a phone? 

Exactly how early did Mary have to get up? She already beats the sun in order to get in some much needed bible time plus exercise. 

What's breakfast casserole? 

Why do these folk never have eggs on toast for breakfast? Am I the strange one?

5 minutes ago, Myfanwy said:

What's breakfast casserole? 

I have a friend who does something she calls french toast casserole for holiday breakfasts, brunches, etc.

I would never touch it as it involved custard which I avoid like a Maxwell avoids fun, but it's a thing.  That said I'd be shocked if that's what they meant as it's very rich and wildly indulgent.

A frittata is kind of like a breakfast casserole, maybe they mean something like that?

If my extended family began making it a holiday tradition to invite us all to gather for a "special" breakfast with the intention of using the littles to try to guilt me into contributing to this waste-of-money/resources "charity", I'd make a point of inviting them to serve meals at a homeless shelter with me instead.  I'd rather be doing something that is actually helpful to those in need.

@Myfanwy,  today on The Kitchen on Food Network, Katie Lee made a breakfast casserole which she said was suitable to tailgate breakfasts.  It was a hash browns casserole made with frozen hash browns in the crockpot.  Katie mentioned that it was similar to one made with tater tots.  There was no Cream O' Crap in it though.

It did not look appetizing to me although not vomit-inducing like Lori Alexander's soup.

3 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Myfanwy,  today on The Kitchen on Food Network, Katie Lee made a breakfast casserole which she said was suitable to tailgate breakfasts.  It was a hash browns casserole made with frozen hash browns in the crockpot.  Katie mentioned that it was similar to one made with tater tots.  There was no Cream O' Crap in it though.

It did not look appetizing to me although not vomit-inducing like Lori Alexander's soup.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/slow-cooker-hash-brown-casserole-5441649

ITA on it not looking particularly appetizing, but then I hate cheese.   Definitely looks better than most Maxwell fare, to me.

This blog is getting more and more boring every year, because it's the same old crap every year. 

Does anyone know if the Maxwells even go to "church" anymore? When was the last time we saw them at the rest home where they usually go? I can't remember seeing them in a while. Maybe even since Christmas?

Maybe they've been banned!

7 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Franklin Graham's politics aside I also pack shoeboxes because it's a one-on-one way to help. I don't honestly care if they want to seek God. There. That part is out of the way. Now, hands up if you think the Maxwell's shoe boxes are as boring as their blog posts?? As long as they put in plenty of school supplies, and something more fun than only a rubber duckie I can live with them helping.

Apparently this year the "plastic crap" is glasses frames. Not sunglasses, which might actually keep children in the tropics from getting cataracts later in life. Just pretend glasses.

5 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

IWhat's breakfast casserole? 

Why do these folk never have eggs on toast for breakfast? Am I the strange one?

No, you're not. That's my everyday breakfast. I think "breakfast casserole" is what I know of as a strata. Cubes of day-old bread soaked overnight in a mixture of eggs and milk and grated cheese, then baked until it sets up.

10 hours ago, Dru said:

In other news, Calia is wearing leggings and a tunic. How positively non-Maxwell.

And no bib!

8 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Exactly. But it has to sound like they have real lives. We know better.

As to fundraising--if friends or strangers want to help me I take it. It isn't cheap to do this. I imagine they get their money from neighbors who want them to go away and from other like-minded families who buy Sarah's so-called books and the families "products".

I'm curious to see how many of Ellie's pups get sold.  Poor dog, hope she doesn't get bred too often.

Dh's midwestern family is all about breakfast casserole's for family breakfast events. Sometimes they call them "egg bakes". Most of the ones the serve are some form of potato/hash browns, bacon/ham/sausage, vegetables, egg and cheese. They also usually do a french toast casserole that uses french bread, cinnamon, egg mixture (similar to french toast egg batter) and a bit of vanilla. I like all of them, though I am not a huge egg eater. 

Who knows what the Maxwells would come up with. Something tells me it would be missing the key ingredient...flavor.

16 hours ago, kpmom said:

So, they hit the "extended family" up for donations year after year and yet Sarah says the Lord provided?

I didn't see God in that kitchen reaching into his wallet.

All money is god's money.

"The carefully-planned menu consisted of homemade cinnamon rolls (Mary got up early to make them!), breakfast casserole, bananas, orange juice, and coffee."

FFS, I could "carefully plan" that menu in 90 seconds.

and are the little girls wearing some sort of odd fake fur vests?

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

"The carefully-planned menu consisted of homemade cinnamon rolls (Mary got up early to make them!), breakfast casserole, bananas, orange juice, and coffee."

FFS, I could "carefully plan" that menu in 90 seconds.

and are the little girls wearing some sort of odd fake fur vests?

They’re dressed alike and I think it’s cute. Unlike the matching crumpets — FRUMPERS, autocorrect!! — I have a feeling this is something they chose. And Abby didn’t have to go along with it. 

#Melanie&NateStrong

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Apparently this year the "plastic crap" is glasses frames. Not sunglasses, which might actually keep children in the tropics from getting cataracts later in life. Just pretend glasses.  

I also did a double take on those stupid glasses. I'm sure many of these kids actually need vision correction and have never seen an optometrist. Makes the pretend glasses seem dumb and rather insensitive. 

By the way, Google tells me there are the top recommended things to put in an OCC shoebox. Funny how we have this conversation every year...

Hairbrush.

Toothbrush.

Washcloth.

Bar soap (packaged and/or in a container)

Adhesive bandages. (Colorful ones can help a child be more willing to wear a bandage. ...

Reusable plastic containers: cup, water bottle, plate, bowl, blunt-edged utensils. ...

Blanket.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived