IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Anna's wedding outfit. It is strange that Steve "The RULES!" Maxwell didn't impart a better sense of wardrobe etiquette to his family. 

Then again, we all know the Maxwells take all of their cues from Steve and it's pretty clear that he is a true engineer with zero sense of aesthetics (the interior design of their home, the birthday cakes, Chris's photography, the unimaginative outfits the women comes up with despite plenty of more put together modest examples in their social circles). And if Steve isn't good at something or doesn't quite grasp it, then that thing must be silly, sinful, and/or unimportant.

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

And if Steve isn't good at something or doesn't quite grasp it, then that thing must be silly, sinful, and/or unimportant.

This is so true. I've seen it in people in my own family as well. Perfectionism plays a part: if you're not good at something, it's easier to say that thing is at fault rather than admitting you're not perfect.

Steve's brain, analytical, black-and-white, and religious, sees things like novels, movies, art, pretty dresses, and home decor as either unimportant or evil. He loves schedules, routines, doing things by-the-book. There's no room for creativity, leisure time, or unplanned activities. 

People in the comments keep asking Teri if the Maxwells have noticed any health benefits from juicing, and Teri keeps essentially responding "Nope, we haven't noticed any benefits! But we keep doing it anyway."

In one of their fasts they suggested that, if you didn’t want to fast from eating entirely, you could at least “fast from chewing” and take all your calories in liquid form. (Not Pepsi though, I’d imagine.) I wonder if the juicing started around then.

Honest Q here: what’s the advantage of drinking vegetable juices over just eating vegetables? The benefits are obvious If one can’t or shouldn’t chew.  Beyond that?

I used to work for an elderly couple who had me juice carrots for their afternoon snack. IIRC about 1-1/2 pounds of carrots yielded maybe 8 ounces of juice.   Because they didn’t have any other way to dispose of the pulp, they instructed me to send it to the landfill in the trash. 

The juice was tasty enough but I prefer my carrots cooked properly with a little butter, some herbs — mm, mm, good!!

We bought a small juicer and tried it last year.  Everything I tasted that came out of it tasted like mown grass.  Blech.  

If I want greens I'll eat them, thanks.

Some people prefer juicing because they feel they are more likely to drink carrot apple juice, than to eat carrots and apples. My kids are picky and would drink a fruit and veggie juice before they would eat the veggies. But I don’t want the work of juicing. So I just buy V8 juice and call it a day.

I juiced for a while but ultimately I felt like it was a waste of money. The amount of liquid you get for what you throw in wasn't worth it. I don't recall there being any dietary benefits to juicing, only convenience. IIRC you even lose some nutrients when juicing? I could be wrong. I suppose it's healthier than buying juices due to no added sugars. 

Add me to those people confused by juicing. If you ate 10 apples in a day that would be a lot. If you juice 10 apples and just drink the juice, it's more manageable, but do you get the same amount of certain nutrients? I wouldn't think so. 

And yeah, I had a juicer and like @danvillebelle said, everything tasted like grass. And dirt, even though I washed everything. So gross.

Maybe it’s becasue I had breast cancer last year, or because I am currently waiting on results to rule out uterine cancer, but I cannot, in my wildest dreams, imagine eating creamed chipped beef and chicken. The only semi-healthy thing in there is the chicken breast (and even that’s questionable, unless they’re using organic free range chicken). Just about the time I start thinking they view their bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit with their juicing and greens, they fill them with that crap. 

I hope they had a huge plate of veggies on the side. 

Re: Anna’s wedding attire. 

All the Maxwells attend several weddings a year. Having a couple of dresses they could wear and accessorize a bit differently would work. Even two dresses; a warm weather and a cool weather dress. A pair of pumps or dressy sandals. Wear a slip and a camisole if you want to be modest (they don’t have to be showing). There are plenty of midi or maxi dresses. 

Re: Christopher’s Wedding pics

Why do fundy guys wear pants that are too long? They come in all sorts of lengths and the can be hemmed. 

1 hour ago, HoneyBunny said:

Maybe it’s becasue I had breast cancer last year, or because I am currently waiting on results to rule out uterine cancer

Wishing you the best, @HoneyBunny. ❤️

@Lisafer @HarleyQuinn @MamaJunebug Regarding juices. As far as I'm concerned, veggies are far more nutritious chewed than juiced. Juices were trendy, but doctors are advertising now that even natural homemade juices have too much sugar. When you chew a fruit, you eat the fiber of the pulp, and it helps the body to absorb less sugar/fructose. If you juice, you get all the sugar and few vitamins and minerals. Not only fruits contain natural sugar, but also some veggies.

Most important, when you chew, saliva helps to digest food. Of course, eating creams or soups or even juices is not bad. But in general, chewed meals are better and people feel fuller after the meal.

Ditto on not juicing fruits.  You get a TON of sugar and none of the benefits of fiber. I do juice cucumbers, carrots and celery a few times a month.  It's kind of a reset for me if I haven't been eating well and it's just one glass.  Occasionally I'll throw a beet in the mix if I'm feeling dangerous.  I've been buying apple sauce occasionally, because for the longest time I've had trouble getting crisp Gala apples, even in the fall.  Stevehovah's black and white, unimaginative thinking; so horrible.  

That recipe looks disgusting, but at least the Maxwells have finally posted a useful blog entry for fundie women looking for new recipes to try.

I'd love to see a blog post on how Teri fed the brood back when everyone was at home. What sort of tips and tricks worked for them back then.

Yeah, that recipe looks super gross. All the Maxwell recipes are just seem so blah and nearly inedible.

Also, I feel like the chipped beef needs to be on top of the chicken, not under. It's bugging me that it's not. 

Why do all fundie recipes include some kind of cream of crap soup?? 

Also, isn’t Teri allergic to chicken/turkey products? It was mentioned in a Thanksgiving post.

A fingertip-sized piece of ginger for all those carrots and apples?!? (ignoring the negligble quantities of kale, beet, and cucumber, as well as the utterly non-nutritive celery) I would use more ginger in a single serving, but then I like the taste of ginger.

A good way to tell if your juice is a reasonable source of nutrients and calories is to try to eat, in one sitting, the same quantity of fruits and vegetables that you put into a single serving of juice. Assuming you can actually pull that off, consider which fills you up more.

I have no words to describe that awful chicken dish. How on earth is that better/easier/more economical than a whole roasted chicken with lovely golden crispy skin and vegetables roasted in the same pan? 

<drooling as I write about roast chicken and now I know what's for dinner tonight>

Ewwww, why every single fundie uses the cream of crap soup for every damn recipe? And on top of that sodium carnival sour cream? It's soooooo unhealthy and GROSS.

I don't eat terribly well, but holy hell, that's a lot of sodium. And no veggies? I don't even want to know what it tastes like. No, thank you. 

33 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Ewwww, why every single fundie uses the cream of crap soup for every damn recipe? And on top of that sodium carnival sour cream? It's soooooo unhealthy and GROSS.

I made a casserole bake and tried a can of mushroom soup. It was bad and made it watery and I was angry I wasted good broccoli. Imagine it on tater tots (don't have them where I live thank Rufus)  but it must be so bland and gross. For people who juice for nutrition, that chicken beef disaster isn't very nutritious 

First post here for me. It totally cracks me up in the comments on the juicing post when Teri says they haven't seen any health benefits from juicing and then they post a recipe like this (chipped beef, chicken, etc.) ! Their bodies are so confused it's no wonder they can't see benefits! Situation normal for them, I guess...

f1815

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived