IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Thanks.  That description does sound more like what the Maxwells have presented.  I plan to make one after I go to the store for frozen cherries which will probably be tomorrow.  Almost all the torte photos don't look at all like what the Maxwells produced though.  I did find one that looked closer to what they produced.

image.png

I don't know a single German speaker who would call that thing a torte. And I'm from Germany, so I know quite a few. My grandpa is also a pastry chef (Konditor), so I grew up in a shop full of cakes and tortes. The German wiki article has some examples of what a torte looks like: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torte

Yes, a torte can include fruit, but it also includes stuff like cream, buttercream, jam, ganache, etc. See the picture of the strawberry torte, which looks like a cream torte (Sahnetorte) to me.

What the Maxwells made is literally just a cherry cake. Basic pound cake recipe with cherries on top. Very easy, popular cake in Germany and Austria, which you also often see with other fruit such as apples and apricots. I think this is merely a case of either the blog reader mis-translating or the Maxwells misunderstanding.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I said it didn't match almost all the torte photos.  It isn't a pound cake though.  Pound cake begins with a pound of butter and goes from there.

I found photos including the one above called a torte although out of 25 to 30 photos all but two were filled items.  Confusion in the world about what to call a dessert?  Never.  The Maxwells may have been told it was a torte and managed to change that to tart.  There are people on the web who post similar recipes as tortes.

http://cookingandbooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/cherry-torte.html

At this point I don't care too much what it's called.  I still plan to make one probably using the recipe from the link.

5 hours ago, thoughtful said:

maybe discover the weirdness that is Gwen Shamblin. 

You will need the ferrets for that one. FJ is definitely on Remnant's radar, given the cult members/cult speak posts/interactions on that thread. The good people of FJ represented; the RFs didn't know what the hell to do. 

Just remember when going over to that thread that you are allowed to eat real food, you can eat potato chips (as in not just licking them), and we still don't know what the hell is under Gwen's hair

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

It isn't a pound cake though.  Pound cake begins with a pound of butter and goes from there.

I mean, that's just the best translation there is to give you a rough idea of the type of cake it is.

All the pie talk is making me miss my mom.  So boo maxwells.  

And mom called the left over pie crust with cinnamon and sugar patty cake.  Mom was also notorious for forgetting to pull the patty cake out of the over and it was often burnt.  Not that my sister and I let that stop us. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived