IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

I also hate the bibs. My kids ate messy foods topless (and sometimes in just undies/a diaper) at home until they were like 5 though. Out in public we used a bib until they were 2ish and after that I just lived on the edge  with the possibility of stains.  If I knew we were going to be eating messy foods, like spaghetti at grandma's, I would just dress them in dark colors or something old. 

We made a bunch of bibs for my husband's grandpa post stroke.  Basically they were just a bath towel with a big loop for around his neck. It covered his chest and most of his lap.  

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathan and Melanie's kids are always in and out of the bibs, but Chris and Anna's kids are always in them. I feel like there is probably a lot of tut-tutting about it whenever the cousins are around each other, so Nathan and Melanie just give in. 

19 hours ago, Dru said:

You know what annoys me to no end with the birthday and Christmas posts? How Sarah will show people opening gifts but rarely says what the gift was. It blows my mind that she thinks she's some great author when she can't even write an engaging blog post. But of course Steve and Teri "shelter" her from negative comments so I suppose it's not entirely her fault.

And while ignoring details like that, she still insists on labeling family members regularly in her posts! ?

4 hours ago, jakesykora said:

And while ignoring details like that, she still insists on labeling family members regularly in her posts! ?

I especially enjoy when she feels the need to include their last name as well.

I think it's time Steve and Teri invest in a children's table and chairs set. We know it would get years of use and it would prevent the older kids from being stuffed into high chairs. 

Of course, sitting at a kid-sized table with one's siblings and cousins could be great fun; so...yeah, that's not going to happen. 

26 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I think it's time Steve and Teri invest in a children's table and chairs set. We know it would get years of use and it would prevent the older kids from being stuffed into high chairs. 

I agree, but I'd be afraid they'd make poor Anna and Mary sit at the table too to watch the younger kids.  Those two are are treated as children too much as it is.

On the subject of what we find annoying in Maxwell posts, I didn't like Teri's answer to the lady who finds pictures of their bible time inspiring.

Teri's answer, "It blesses my heart, too, that my husband makes family Bible time a priority and that we don’t just eat and open presents at family parties but put our hearts and minds on what is truly most important.", just comes across as so holier than thou to me.

Many of the Maxwell's posts come across just as smug.  Like Sarah's, "Imagine that, siblings who are friends!" posts.  As though they're the only ones who put their minds on God, or are friends with siblings.

59 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Of course, sitting at a kid-sized table with one's siblings and cousins could be great fun; so...yeah, that's not going to happen. 

They have one they just don't break it out very often. And yes, @kpmom, they do make Mary and Anna sit at it.

"I think it's time Steve and Teri invest in a children's table and chairs set. We know it would get years of use and it would prevent the older kids from being stuffed into high chairs. "

"I agree, but I'd be afraid they'd make poor Anna and Mary sit at the table too to watch the younger kids.  Those two are are treated as children too much as it is."

Well? Where else could unmarried GIRLS sit? No headship to oversee their manners, no headship to give her an opinion on something (Oh, thank you for that Dowager Countess Maggie Smith!). Of course, as the eldest "children" in the family, they could be called upon to first serve the ADULTS and little children and then they could have their plates, but nothing fattening that could put off a widower needing a quick "wife" to raise his brood for him. Poor Mary, Anna and Sarah.

I will confess to owning bibs for adults that I typically use workday mornings to avoid dribbling breakfast all over myself before heading to work.  I am a messy eater.  And I honestly got the idea from seeing the bibs at my mother's nursing home they use on the patients in her memory care unit.  

Meaning no offense to those who have adult relatives that need bibs.  We all use what is available and necessary. I have always thought, though, that it would be great if adult bibs were made to look nicer. It seems nursing homes and hospitals all have the standard towel-like drape to put around the patients'/residents' necks. I've actually thought about dragging out my sewing machine and trying to make some more appealing ones. Maybe some nice plaid flannel for men, paisley or floral for women, even nice neutral colors that are subtle. 

I guess I could modify an apron pattern??  

That actually would be a great project for Mary but I think she has been forbidden from sewing because she was too good at it. 

Okay. Done rambling for now. 

26 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Meaning no offense to those who have adult relatives that need bibs.  We all use what is available and necessary. I have always thought, though, that it would be great if adult bibs were made to look nicer. It seems nursing homes and hospitals all have the standard towel-like drape to put around the patients'/residents' necks. I've actually thought about dragging out my sewing machine and trying to make some more appealing ones. Maybe some nice plaid flannel for men, paisley or floral for women, even nice neutral colors that are subtle. 

That actually would be a great project for Mary but I think she has been forbidden from sewing because she was too good at it. 

I love this idea. You could style the ones for ladies as the large scarves and ponchos that are really trendy right now. Drapey, with lots of coverage.

For lack of room for everyone at the table, what the Maxwells really need to do is extend the kitchen/dining room out over the deck and buy a second long table. They have plenty of room for it in their backyard. The family is only going to get bigger. 

29 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

For lack of room for everyone at the table, what the Maxwells really need to do is extend the kitchen/dining room out over the deck and buy a second long table. They have plenty of room for it in their backyard. The family is only going to get bigger. 

Let’s not use common sense in a Maxwell world. You know they can’t have a second long table. Who would sit at its head? Steve only has one ass. 

2 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

I love this idea. You could style the ones for ladies as the large scarves and ponchos that are really trendy right now. Drapey, with lots of coverage.

YES!! I know someone who makes scarves. She came up with a style that drapes like a blanket scarf but it velcroes in back so there is less bulk and easy fastening. I bought the one in the photo. Something like this in a lighter weight would be nice. I might give her a call and ask for her help. 

IMG_1254.JPG

Cutting up spaghetti with a pizza cutter sounds like a hot mess. I use scissors! It’s like they make everything way harder than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, themothership said:

Cutting up spaghetti with a pizza cutter sounds like a hot mess. I use scissors! It’s like they make everything way harder than it needs to be.

My daughter’s inlaws cut up their homemade pizza with big kitchen shears. When I went to Italy, I saw the servers do that in a pizzeria in Rome!

No Elissa or Joe at these festivities either. Total speculation, but I wonder if Elissa has been firm on not spending every waking minute at her in-laws. I feel like we rarely see them at gatherings compared to the other married couples. 

11 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

No Elissa or Joe at these festivities either. Total speculation, but I wonder if Elissa has been firm on not spending every waking minute at her in-laws. I feel like we rarely see them at gatherings compared to the other married couples. 

I couldn’t find them in the group either. It would be so nice if they actually had lives of their own. Friends and family members they visit with and enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

Since Elissa vowed to obey her headship Joseph, if he insisted, I'm sure they would be there.  I have a hunch Joseph prefers to keep a bit more distance himself.

15 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I found these at a local medical supply place when we needed one for my grandma and I was still trying to figure out a custom one I was going to make her when we didn't need to fill an immediate need.

She always got lots of nice comments from people and others at her nursing home got some as a result.

http://www.tidytop.com/

That same medical supply place told me they'd love for me to make some of my own as samples and offer 'custom' ones for people who were looking since there weren't a lot of choices out there in other materials, with other 'features' (like the pocket this one above had, etc.)

So if you do end up making any and want a little side project, particularly smaller more mom and pop type medical supply places or even rehab centers in your area may also like the idea.

11 hours ago, Hane said:

My daughter’s inlaws cut up their homemade pizza with big kitchen shears. When I went to Italy, I saw the servers do that in a pizzeria in Rome!

I grew up with this practice and have always continued it in my own home.   They are known as "pizza scissors".

We have a pizza cutter that sits lonely and forlorn in the silverware drawer.  I should send it to Teri so she can put it to good use cutting spaghetti and lettuce.

16 hours ago, Hane said:

My Mom always did this. I have a super pizza cutter, but sadly I don't use it for lettuce or anything. I remember on the old Jon & Kate 8 show they did a snarky response on all the people telling them to cut up stuff with pizza cutters--they said any time they saw that it was a re-run.  Ha.

I'm concerned that there is no new post. Was the blog becoming an idol like Pepsi? Look out dog and Arnold!

How do you cut up a pot of spaghetti with a pizza cutter? Scissors, or even 2 knives would work so much easier. To use a pizza cutter you would need to have the individual servings on a plate, right? 

And that chipped beef chicken slop, I just can't get over it.  The only experience I've had with chipped beef was my grandfather making chipped beef gravy. It came in a can like canned ham (which he also ate-cold mixed with mayo) and was little bits (dare I say chips) of meat. He made a roux and stirred in the beef and ate it over toast. It was something he'd make when he was baby sitting me after school. 

That stuff they made looked like slices of lunch meat with chicken on top. And then sour cream and cream of crap soup? WTH? And they served that for a wedding rehearsal??!! It's that "chipped beef" a mid Western thing? We have that (super cheap) Budding brand of lunch meat out here but I couldn't find any that said chipped beef. Only ham and turkey. I don't even know where to find chipped beef. 

On Anna's wedding clothes. If she had just tucked in her undershirt the outfit would have been fine for a wedding. Dated and a bit casual, but she would have looked so much more put together. I kind of liked that layered look back a few (ten) years ago, but with a t-shirt and jeans. Not with a shirt at a wedding. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived