IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

I should not have looked at that blog post because I saw that steaming pile of shit under it.  How the hell does protesting abortion show "love in action" or "compassion in action"  or whatever the hell the Maxholes' phraseology was? 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT is much easier for the Maxwells and pretty much every other family we snark on, to profess love of non-existent or potential human beings than living, breathing humans in need. 

1 hour ago, Markie said:

IT is much easier for the Maxwells and pretty much every other family we snark on, to profess love of non-existent or potential human beings than living, breathing humans in need. 

They are also members of/or heavily influenced by a cult that doesn't approve of adoption, in part, due to the sins of the fathers being visited upon those children. UGH

Someone linked to WCaCC in the other John&Chels thread and that reminded me I hadn't looked there in a few months.   Turns out that not long after I last read there, a new series started, reviewing...

http://whencowsandkidscollide.blogspot.com/2018/08/making-great-conversationalists-chapter.html

Tada!

Now I'm gonna have to pace myself so I don't spend all morning catching up.

Only defense for the short swim lessons... it's the neighbour's pool. One hour 2x a week. I agree that 15 minutes per child is hardly adequate.

I’m working my way through the Making Great (aka Shite) Conversationalists.

Holy Guacamole.

As someone with ASD, many social norms don’t come to me naturally. You know what helped? GOING TO SCHOOL. And university afterwards. I still fuck up occasionally, but I learn from those fuck-ups and do better next time. If I’d learnt from this book, my social skills would be appalling. 

It’s a bad thing when your children are exposed to so few peers that they have to be actively taught how to have a conversation with people. Many kids with ASD have to be “taught” certain social skills. But they have ASD, being in school and mixing with peers doesn’t have the same effect as it does with NT kids, they can’t learn those skills by osmosis. 

Also, once the MaxKid finishes talking about Jesus and their life story/testimony, they have nothing left. They don’t DO anything to talk about. They can’t discuss the latest Avengers movie or the awesome concert they went to or the latest Netflix box set they’ve been binging, because they don’t do any of those things. They can’t discuss their celebrity crush or their dickhead ex or that weird Calculus teacher. Ya know, things normal people their age discuss. There’s only so many times you can discuss the same limited topics. 

We signed our son up for swim lessons at the local YMCA when he was little. The class was so big, he spent most of each session sitting on the edge of the pool. He got about...you guessed it...15 minutes (a quarter of an hour - heh) of pool time each week.  So Teri's individualized teaching served no benefit, time wise, over a large public class. 

Anyway, that was not sifficient time, in our opinion (the waiting also made our son really anxious)  so we also borrowed a friend's pool. I called my cousin's daughter and asked for help during the upcoming summer. She was on the college swim team and was thrilled to make some extra money. We hired her for a week and she taught our son for one hour each day, for five days. 

So, I obviously can't snark on "private" lessons but the strict timeline just irks me. 

I just had a thought. Maybe the kids just wanted to play in a pool and the leadership at the Church of the Holy Timeline would only allow it if it was an actual learning experience, so they gave the poor kids fifteen-minute lessons. 

2 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

So, I obviously can't snark on "private" lessons but the strict timeline just irks me. 

I won't snark on private lessons, either.  I plan on putting my son in private lessons next month.  His social anxiety won't allow him to join a group class.  By the time he was comfortable enough to actually participate, the 6 weeks, or however long it goes, would be over.  His private lessons will take place at the public pool (because we don't have one and nor do our friends) and I can guarantee they will last longer than 15 minutes.

While we don’t go to public pools anymore because of modesty concerns

i e you husband might lust over a pair of tits2 in a bikini.

What the hell is this above-ground , inground pool, it’s a fucking swimming pool. And scheduling 15 minutes... lazy grandmother.

Just finished that blog review of MGC.

Oh my dear sweet Rufus.

Out of all the products Titus 2 sells, MGC has to be one of the absolute WORST. Making Great Conversationalists MY ASS.

The more I read, the more it sounded like the Maxwells had taught their kids ASD-level social skills... 1) the awkward, overly formal conversations that stick to a script, aka how the Moody kids talk. (Nobody IRL talks like the Moodys!) 2) bringing a conversation round to a topic they (the MaxKid) is interested in. 3) being totally unable to spot when someone just isn’t interested in talking to them. (Body language is key here. If someone is replying in monosyllabic sentences and looking elsewhere, continued endless questioning is rude and shows a total lack of awareness). 4) linked to 2), only having a few topics of conversation they talk about (Jesus/God). (People with ASD often have intense obsessions that, given the chance, they will go on and on and ON about). 

As someone with the condition, who has read a lot about it and what the social skills of someone with it are like, it was really striking. 

Either Teri's grandchildren are advanced, or my grandson is slow lol  He learned to swim last summer.  It took me, my daughter, her boyfriend, my next door neighbor, my grandson's other grandmother, and his mother all to teach him.  We have a pool and my grandson lives in a condo with his mother and the condo has a large pool.  I was getting panic attacks at the thought of him wandering out to the pool which is right near his back door.  Also I like the beach more than the pool, and every time I took him, he would bolt right for the water and say "I can swim!"  He couldn't.  So I told everyone that he needed to learn how to swim because it was making me nervous.  It was a heck of a lot more than 15 minutes twice a week.  We had him in the pool for hours every day.  Finally my son had a day off and I told him to get his behind in the pool and teach his son how to swim properly and tread water because he was not a strong enough swimmer to my liking.  This summer he started diving and doing cannonballs, so I have calmed down and feel that he can save himself if God forbid anything ever happened.  I just don't see how strong of a swimmer Teri's grandchildren could be with 15 minute lessons twice a week.  Maybe she taught them how to float.  But that's not enough if anything bad happened.  

It looks to be more appropriate than Jill Rod's idea of modest swimwear.  

I imagine Melanie would get the kids appropriate swim wear. I think Teri said the kids practised throuout the week, so hopefully they had lots of opportunities to swim. Did she just start this? It would have been nice for the ABC girls to have begun swimming lessons years ago, especially Abby. I won’t snark on swimming lessons, though. They were the only lessons my parents were adamant I take. 

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That post just makes me sad. The ABC girls can’t even go to a public swimming pool for lessons? Even Zoo takes her kids to a public pool for lessons. When there is an area of parenting where you are doing worse than Zoo, you really need to look at your life choices. 

Gasp! They could see 8 year olds in worldly swimwear.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:39 AM, mango_fandango said:

I wonder what sort of swimming costume the girls wear. I bet it’s some kind of modesty outfit.

If they have to wear those swim dresses, like the ones ZsuZsu sells, they are probably exhausted after 15 minutes, just from trying to not sink in their floppy water-logged attire.

That pool really is not large enough to teach kids how to swim properly. When I took lessons, we started off at the shallow end where we could stand (smaller kid groups did the same thing, but on a platform placed in the shallowest part, which was 3 feet) Before we were considered actually able to swim - like enough to enter the area that goes above our heads - we had to do two widths of the pool without stopping.

I went to a rigorously academic college and I quickly realized that having a very regimented schedule was crucial for my mental and academic survival.  One of the things that worked best for me when I was studying for a big test, or had a lot of reading to do in one night, was a 45/15 x 3 plan.  I would set a timer for 45 mins and study or read and then have a 15 minute break- I would do this for three hours.  45 minutes was the perfect amount of time to force myself to work and the 15 minute break was a long enough reprieve that it felt like real down time for my brain.  I did this overly regimented scheduling because I had to, but I can't imagine living that way for my entire life.  It literally was a survival mechanism for me, not something that I would ever want to do on daily basis for my whole adult life.  

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Gasp! They could see 8 year olds in worldly swimwear.

Right? The swim classes I’ve seen were a bunch of kids 10 and under in bathing suits. No adults or teens in bikinis. If they are worried about their children seeing little boys in trunks and little girls in ordinary bathing suits, they are beyond ridiculous. 

@punkiepie, I believe I’ve seen that kind of 15/45 or 20/40- minute plan suggested on sites like Unfuck Your Habitat, to help making jobs that look onerous more manageable. I find myself doing this at work when I have a huge task to do.

11 minutes ago, Hane said:

@punkiepie, I believe I’ve seen that kind of 15/45 or 20/40- minute plan suggested on sites like Unfuck Your Habitat, to help making jobs that look onerous more manageable. I find myself doing this at work when I have a huge task to do.

Me too.  It's a very useful tool for many tasks.

Gawd they’re all so freaking smug.  I hope life smacks them real hard.

i have known women who suffered at the hands of backstreet abortionists, my stepmom was butchered so badly she couldn’t have children.  What is wrong with these religious assholes?.  I hope they split hell wide open when they die. Curse them all.

Now I’m all stabby.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived