IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, 3splenty said:

Also, at first I didn't see the comma in the title and thought the Maxwells were juicing chiropractors

Yum. Chiropractor juice.  

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m actually intrigued as to what Sarah Maxwell’s next book will be. Mainly because I know the snark on here will be brilliant. There’s no way I’d order it, cos I am not gonna line Steve’s pockets. (Actually I hope Sarah gets the money from her books. But it probably goes into a big Tits2 account).

12 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I had the roast beef Budding at a friend's house as a kid and fell in love.  We didn't buy it and I refused to eat the stuff from the deli at the butcher or the grocery store.  My dad was thrilled.  /s

Now I want some but have no idea where they sell it.

Buddig has a store locator on their website:

http://www.buddig.com/store-locator

In theory, you can choose your product, enter your location, and get a list of the closest stores that sell your choice. I do know from experience that the store locator on Celestial Seasonings website (as an example) includes all stores that sell any variety of their product. Which is a pain, because I miss Nutcracker Sweet, Watermelon Lime Zinger, and Sangria Zinger enough that I've been to at least 8 different types of stores that the wesite said carried them.

Yeah. It lied. :my_sad:

14 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Buddig has a store locator on their website:

http://www.buddig.com/store-locator

In theory, you can choose your product, enter your location, and get a list of the closest stores that sell your choice. I do know from experience that the store locator on Celestial Seasonings website (as an example) includes all stores that sell any variety of their product. Which is a pain, because I miss Nutcracker Sweet, Watermelon Lime Zinger, and Sangria Zinger enough that I've been to at least 8 different types of stores that the wesite said carried them.

Yeah. It lied. :my_sad:

I don't even see "chipped beef" on the website. So they calling roast beef lunch meat or corned beef  "chipped beef"?

4 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I don't even see "chipped beef" on the website. So they calling roast beef lunch meat or corned beef  "chipped beef"?

I had never heard of Carl Buddig selling anything except cheap, thin-sliced lunchmeat until this thread, so I'm not sure. I did find 2 recipes for chipped beef that use Buddig thin-sliced beef.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/152669/moms-easy-creamed-chipped-beef-on-toast/

https://mealhack.com/creamed-chipped-beef-on-toast

I wonder if people started using the beef lunchmeat to make chipped beef, so they just call the lunchmeat "chipped beef", even if the company doesn't call it that?

14 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I had never heard of Carl Buddig selling anything except cheap, thin-sliced lunchmeat until this thread, so I'm not sure. I did find 2 recipes for chipped beef that use Buddig thin-sliced beef.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/152669/moms-easy-creamed-chipped-beef-on-toast/

https://mealhack.com/creamed-chipped-beef-on-toast

I wonder if people started using the beef lunchmeat to make chipped beef, so they just call the lunchmeat "chipped beef", even if the company doesn't call it that?

Wow. At least those recipes use an actual white sauce and not a can of soup mixed with sour cream.

I'm still reading the previous thread (so far behind) but I have to share a funny conversation I had with my mother.

Me: "Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope I don't end up like Sarah Maxwell."

Her: "?"

Me: "Meaning I bought myself a kettlebell and I better not drop it on my foot."

Her: "Haha, maybe you should get a dog too."

(I was thinking of y'all when I bought the kettlebell :P )

15 hours ago, theologygeek said:

The first time I ever saw bibs like that was when my youngest was a baby.  Had never seen those kind of bibs before that, so I'm assuming that's when they first came out.  They were portable snack bibs back then.  Not sure if something changed over the years because my youngest is 24.  But they weren't used to keep food off the clothes.  You put Cherrios, fruit, or whatever in them so the baby could pick up the food in the scoop tray and it occupied the baby while you were out and about.  It was nice if the baby was in the stroller or car seat.  The bibs weren't really used over the age of two, because by that time, the baby could feed himself better.  

Oh, those frugal Maxwells! I bet they harvest whatever food falls into the scoop tray and re-plate it for the children.  Five children, a father who works as a subpar wedding photographer — it makes economical sense.

10 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

wonder if people started using the beef lunchmeat to make chipped beef, so they just call the lunchmeat "chipped beef", even if the company doesn't call it that?

I’m 99% sure that’s accurate. 

Just read the new post.. The selfies they took are some of the best photos of Mary and Anna I have ever seen. They look natural and invigorated. 

Then there is the photo of them in the car with the icecream and fries, and Mary's crazy eyes are back. ugh.  It must be the look she gets when she is faking a smile, which is unfortunate because it is SUCH a common look for her in 99.9% of photos the Maxwell's post.

eta:
I just had a thought... once Jesse marries and no longer goes on these family vacations, I guess that will be the end of Mary and Anna's youthful mountain climbing adventures. I highly doubt they'll be allowed to hike on their own, just the two of them. So they'll be stuck taking the shorter and easier hikes with Teri and Steve and poor Sarah, hiking at likely half the pace that they are used to now.

1 hour ago, petrushka said:

New post  by Jesse on their hike to Mount of the Holy Cross.  IMHO, his writing skills far surpass any of the other Maxwells.

He does write well...very engaging. 

I hate to say this but I browsed through their blog a little...I think they have fuller lives than I do (and have for most of my adult life) in many ways.  That's something to think about for me.

That's quite a strenuous hike, leaving at 2am and returning late afternoon. They seem to have acquired advanced hiking skills and professional mountain gear. Has this "hobby" or "sport" possibly gone too far? Is it taking away from their time with the Lord and their parents?

I don't know, Steve... might be time to have a chat with your kiddos. They look a little too excited in those pics, it's a dangerous slope (pun intended).

11 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

They seem to have acquired advanced hiking skills and professional mountain gear.

This is absolutely none of my business but I do wonder where the money comes from.  I know Steve took some kind of retirement, but he was an engineer which is a decent living but it's not 'support many non-working adults for decades on end' money.  

Their defunct ITOnRamp couldn't have brought in much, do they have a significant income stream since the conference circuit dried up?

Your post just brought it to mind as professional gear isn't cheap, nor is travel so this isn't an inexpensive hobby so they are clearly not just getting by but living fairly comfortably to afford stuff like this.

Again, none of my business...just bitter musings from someone paying bills today.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, catlady said:

Ok, I’m making the zucchini pie, but I kind of messed up.  While I was browning the beef, Mr CL said he was taking Cousin to the movies in an hour and a half.  Oops.  So I rushed the rest of the prep.  I had put Italian seasoning in the beef, and I ended up using half a pound, layered at the bottom.  I saved the other half pound for tomorrow’s spaghetti*.  

I cut up two smallish zucchinis, two large carrots, three celery stalks, and half an onion.  I had the half onion and didn’t feel like cutting up another one.  Not sure how much tomato sauce I used.  I combined the vegetables and added enough sauce to coat them without being dribbly.  I put the veggies over the beef and drizzled a little more sauce.  Then I covered it with the pie crust and had a nice well-proportioned dome over the edge of the dish.  Here is where I fucked up:  in my haste to get it in the oven so the guys can get to the movie on time, I forgot the cheese and the rest of the seasoning.  

It’s baking now, so we will have the cheese over the top.  I’ll let you know later how it turns out.  

*since we’re low carb, I found some edamame angel hair spaghetti that has only 20 carbs per serving instead of the usual 41.

Don't feel bad.  I have made a pumpkin pie and forgot the sugar.  Also a cherry walnut cake and forgot the flour.  I could go on, but you understand.  Actually, your pie sounds perfectly delicious.

1 minute ago, Granwych said:

Also a cherry walnut cake and forgot the flour. 

And now I want to make a flourless chocolate cake and have all the ingredients in the house...I think you just gave me a project for this afternoon.

Just now, Dru said:

Dare I say it, but I think Jesse must read shit other than the bible and Maxwell generated crap.

I thought the same thing.  He clearly reads informal conversational writings.  

Jesse’s post was a good read. Conversational, interesting, descriptive and devoid of most of the usual Maxwell-speak. I guess he has some natural talent for writing, which explains why he wasn’t assigned the role of children’s author. 

Jesse is a good writer, I enjoyed reading about that hike and why there wasn’t a photo of the cross. He’s very engaging and John is a good writer as well. I think it’s just Sarah who doesn’t have the knack for it or maybe she just doesn’t care enough to put effort into a role assigned to her when her passion is clearly making coffee. She should be a barista, she would move up fast. She’s also a good photographer. 

Just getting caught up on this thread. Two things: 

1) I had to restrain myself from hitting the wtf button on all the vegetable-hate comments. Y'all are killing me here! 

2) Buddig lunch meat works great to get cats to take pills, they love the stuff. So in my mind, it's pet food.

@ladyamylynn, I wish I'd tried Buddig lunch meat with my cat when he had cancer.  I was supposed to give him his chemo pills and he just would not take them at least on a regular basis. We tried everything.  I did wonder sometimes what we were paying the vet oncologist for.  Shouldn't they be able to pill a difficult cat?

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@ladyamylynn, I wish I'd tried Buddig lunch meat with my cat when he had cancer.  I was supposed to give him his chemo pills and he just would not take them at least on a regular basis. We tried everything.  I did wonder sometimes what we were paying the vet oncologist for.  Shouldn't they be able to pill a difficult cat?

For future reference when one of my cats needed pills I'd crush them up and mix them with spaghetti sauce (he loved marinara) and put it in a syringe (no needle of course) and fed it to him that way.  Ditto another cat but yogurt not sauce.

Cats & Pills--grated cheese mushed into a ball works in this house.

On Jess's writing. Maybe since he's a man he can read more widely? Or maybe it was all the G Hently books he read as a kid?  Or he has a secret pay-as-you-go phone with pay-as-you go wifi? 

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

For future reference when one of my cats needed pills I'd crush them up and mix them with spaghetti sauce (he loved marinara) and put it in a syringe (no needle of course) and fed it to him that way.  Ditto another cat but yogurt not sauce.

I had a cat that loved any and all tomato stuff. She loved marinara and tomato soup! I had another cat that loved donuts. She was a total weirdo but a sweetie.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived