IGNORED

Dillards 64: Now with Multi-Level Marketing!

Georgiana

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have 2 pics total of hubby and I kissing and we've been married 24 years.  One was taken at the wedding.  One was taken on vacation in Mexico by a photographer when we were on a cave tour and all of the couples were instructed to kiss in a specific spot.  When I bought the photo pack the kissing pic came with the others, otherwise I would not have paid extra for it, LOL.  Nobody wants to see us kissing, even me ;-).  Actually I think my daughter posted the wedding kiss pic on our 20th anniversary but she was a teen at the time so I'll cut her some slack.

My daughter posted a Facebook picture of Mr. Four and me kissing at our birthday celebration. She insisted we kiss, next thing it's on FB. Not my style, but she's young...

7 hours ago, DillyDally said:

"Make good financial choices" is as useful a piece of advice as "try not to get killed in life", I guess. On the other hand (not trying to defend OfJill), he really does not own random internet strangers an explanation. And before you downvote me, that's only as long as they don't start grifting again, of course!

IDK...he clearly has generated no income from his own work in over year,  complained on social media about being on hard times d/t medical debts incurred from Sam's birth, throws out an arrogant line on social media about making better financial decisions- I think he's fair game for an explanation. His privacy ended when he opened his big mouth, on multiple occasions.

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

His privacy ended when he opened his big off-centered mouth, on multiple occasions.

ftfy

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

It really makes you wonder how fragile Derick's ego must be that Jill feels the need to post this shit all the time. Does he stand in front of the mirror every morning and repeat these hashtag affirmations to himself? Does Jill realize that it just makes Derick seem like an insecure manchild and like their marriage isn't particularly solid (not even saying that's the reality, just that it's the impression her posts create)? It's just. so. weird.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think that this has anything to do with his ego. I really don't think he gives a shit about what she posts or thinks or does for the most part. SHE does these things with the infinite hashtags proclaiming how great her hubby is because she needs validation of her life choices. On some subconscious level she must be aware that she shat the bed when it comes to Derrick but she'll be damned before she admits it. I know several women like her, they are all incredibly good at lying to themselves to keep happy.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:49 AM, KnittingOwl said:

Meh. I ate sushi while pregnant and know a lot of friends who did also. Granted, we also live in Seattle and have much more ready access to fresh fish, but it’s not super uncommon despite the recommendations. Personally, I don’t know if I’d ever eat sushi in Arkansas. ;) 

I followed very few of the stricter diet regulations during my two pregnancies. I drank coffee (in moderation), ate lunchmeat, and - gasp! - I had one small glass of wine to celebrate my birthday in my third trimester. I dyed my hair several times. My doctor was fine with all of it, and I have three big, healthy, beautiful children! I don't particularly like sushi, but if I did, I would have partaken.

I was considered high risk during both pregnancies and so I had to see a high-risk doctor (I'm blanking on the proper name - some kind of neonatologist). I trusted his opinion!

For all his faults, it’s always been obvious that Jim Bob adores Michelle and puts her on a pedestal. He is so proud to have married the cheerleader. It’s why I have always believed Michelle was the one deciding how many kids to have and to go crazy fundy. What she wants she gets.

I think Jill saw her parents and figured her marriage would be like theirs with her husband putting her on a pedestal. Since that doesn’t seem to be Derick’s thing, it is as though Jill has a need to prove she has the perfect, Christian marriage with the perfect husband. She praises him so much you would think he was on par with Jesus. 

I don’t think Jim Bob and Michelle are paying for Derick’s education. The rule of thumb, or my rule of thumb, is you pay for your kid’s education, not the spouse who can leave your child but keep the education paid for by you. I agreed with the poster that Jim Bob and Michelle aren’t likely subsidizing all their kids’ lifestyles. None of them likely earn enough income to maintain their lifestyle. 

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is why these groups always die out in the next generation. They need the pyramid to grow by bringing in more money. If no one is skilled, educated in a needed field or above all else willing to work for a good long time, the group dies out because it can not be sustained. My hubs and I stopped at 2 kids because 3 would have made daycare too expensive...and neither of us could figure out how to support MORE people with less income and fewer benefits, and continue to live comfortably, plus save and plan for the future. It's not rocket science. Their lifestyle(s) unsustainable.

I agree, it’s not sustainable. But these idiots are going to keep popping out babies. They were shielded from the poverty other mega families faced, so they all probably think things will be hunky dory no matter how many kids they have. It’s the next generation I worry about, who will be educated at the SOTDRT by people who were educated at the SOTDRT. Their education will be shit, and they’ll be left to flounder. 

We’re seeing the kind of education JRod’s kids are getting.

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think that this has anything to do with his ego. I really don't think he gives a shit about what she posts or thinks or does for the most part. SHE does these things with the infinite hashtags proclaiming how great her hubby is because she needs validation of her life choices. On some subconscious level she must be aware that she shat the bed when it comes to Derrick but she'll be damned before she admits it. I know several women like her, they are all incredibly good at lying to themselves to keep happy.

I know someone who uses more hashtags than Jill about her husband. Every post is about #relationshipgoals #marriedlife #happiness. It just seems like she wants to prove to herself and everyone else how perfect her life is.

29 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I know someone who uses more hashtags than Jill about her husband. Every post is about #relationshipgoals #marriedlife #happiness. It just seems like she wants to prove to herself and everyone else how perfect her life is.

Jill's hashtag's remind me of Jenelle Evans always posting about her 10 soul mates, she always claims they so happy and they never argue, then a week later her and/ or soul mate are arrested for domestic violence and she claims the relationship was hell. 

Jill is trying to convince everyone she is happy, I believe she loves Derick and the boy's but she was expecting things to be a lot different. I think even Jim Bob regrets setting Jill and Derick up, he would probably be pleased to see the back of Derick, he is the one causing the brand most trouble just now.

That picture reminds me of the old saying, "Thou doth protest too much." But, in Jill's case, it would be, "Thou doth hashtag too much."

I also liked her extremely curt “no.” response to the comment asking whether a nose ring wasn’t against her religion. Jill, where’s your heart for mission? Why not explain how a nose ring is totally fine when you want to seem a little more hip, but dancing is still taboo? While you’re at it, why not explain the Nike rules again? Oh that’s right, you can’t because any of those would expose your pick and choose hypocrisy. At least the Bates made up some save-face excuse about the skirts only rule being one that just applies in their parents’ house...

This just furthers her inability to be a successful influencer. You need to engage with your audience and Jill can’t/ doesn’t want to even give the impression of connecting with those filthy masses. Social media success does not equal preaching, Jill. It’s the illusion of dialogue. 

That picture...it's not cute, in fact it's very cringe worthy. Just as bad as the Michelle and JimBob kissing picture from a few years back. 

:brain-bleach:

17 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is why these groups always die out in the next generation. They need the pyramid to grow by bringing in more money. If no one is skilled, educated in a needed field or above all else willing to work for a good long time, the group dies out because it can not be sustained. My hubs and I stopped at 2 kids because 3 would have made daycare too expensive...and neither of us could figure out how to support MORE people with less income and fewer benefits, and continue to live comfortably, plus save and plan for the future. It's not rocket science. Their lifestyle(s) unsustainable.

Jim Bob's biggest mistake thus far is that he didn't marry off the daughters into money.

1. Derrick is obviously completely useless. He could have been a reasonably good financial head of the family if he kept at it as an accountant, but no. As a practicing lawyer I look at him and believe fully that his career prospects there are about zero as well. So Jill will need financial support likely indefinitely. This will be somewhat mitigated by the fact that I don't believe they will have a gaggle of children. Her c-sections combined with complications combined with Derrick not enjoying the kids and I can see 3-4 max. Once she gets her girl, she's done IMO.

2. Ben is likely making very little to nothing in terms of $. If Ben had a reasonably good job and income, Jessa would have made that perfectly clear on social media. The fact they are so mum about his "work" tells me he's dilly dallying doing something during the day, but likely for Jim Bob and likely for next to nothing. Jessa, for all her media savvy, has also made least strides to leave the fundie life (dresses the most conservatively, has expressed zero interest in any kind of education or working outside of the home) so unless she massively monetizes her online presence, Ben and Jessa are no better off than Jill and Derrick. In fact you can make a good argument that they maybe worse off in the long term if they have anything approaching double digit # of kids. I realize they must make some kind of salary from the show but no way does that last another couple of decades.

3. Jinger and Jeremy are a bit of a mystery. On the one hand, he has an education, is clearly more wordly than all the other male spouses put together and they live away from the Duggar compounds. On the other hand, he's also pursuing an education and making minimal $ while traveling quite a bit, having a decent sized and appointed house, etc. I think this will depend largely on how good he is at growing a congregation (mind you in Laredo without speaking Spanish) and how many kids they have. But again, Jim Bob didn't marry off Jinger to a guy who comes from $ or stands to make any $.

4. Austin may well be the best of a bad bunch in that at least he seems to have work ethic, a very useful skill and Joy is willing to help out. They are a bit dependent on circumstances (low interest rates, the housing market in general) but I think that they can be self sufficiently occupying the middle class bracket.

Obviously by and large aside from John David the Duggar sons are useless. Josh sealed his fate. Joe seems like a good guy but both he and Josiah are clearly not made to do much more than work at some car lots like Josh. Bad money, low margin crap. It's one thing to raise a whole bunch of uneducated and fairly lazy/unambitious sons if you have the $ to support them and they're willing to live on your land. But then you should at a minimum try to fob off your daughters on fundies who have some $ or who are employed. There are plenty of fundies out there who own substantial businesses and do well in life. JB hasn't managed to find one yet.

I think JB likes being in control of the young couples financially. He probably isn't looking to marry a daughter off to a breadwinner. And he gave his sons aboutvthe same start he had so I don't think he feel as though he failed them. 

Alternate therory for the daughters being that with the victim blaming after josh they had less of a fundie male suitor  pool to choose from. Which is horrible but wouldn't surprise me.

46 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Joe seems like a good guy but both he and Josiah are clearly not made to do much more than work at some car lots like Josh.

My question is how many of his sons does JB expect to run his used car lot and whatever else? Some random used car lot in Little Rock can’t be making enough money to support multiple mega families (or multiple small families)

Is there anyway to know how much they make per episode? I guess with the right investments and real-estate purchases they could be living rather middle class for a while. I don't know how after 5-6 kids though it be possible for most of them though. That's a lot of bedrooms you need, bigger car, medical bills, food, clothes, etc. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My question is how many of his sons does JB expect to run his used car lot and whatever else? Some random used car lot in Little Rock can’t be making enough money to support multiple mega families (or multiple small families)

I can see a couple of them trying for real estate licences and doing that, ties sort of into the family business. You could also use one or two of them as property managers if you have enough properties, and for all we know Ben could be doing something of that sort.

I'm actually surprised they didn't try to get a couple of the sons into something like law enforcement or working as firemen, etc. Those are "manly" enough professions, some of their fundie friends have sons who do it, it's not manual labour, the shift work isn't great BUT it does allow for quite a bit more flexibility than a typical 9-5 job and it's decent money, benefits, pension, etc. My guess is the Duggars en masse are not made for any sort of discipline so that may be the complicating factor.

I missed Wreck's tweet about "volunteering" to be on CO. I really don't believe that he and Jill were paid nothing. Unless they agreed to give their money to JB which would just be stupid. Especially since when they revamped the show the focus was on the adult kids and even named after Jill and Jessa that first season. Not seeing a dime of a show that bears your name? That would be the height of bad financial decisions to me. I can't imagine they made much especially when there were very few sponsors, but probably enough to cover basic living expenses. The back to school endeavors are another story.  I wonder how much they brought in with the Dillard Family Ministry. Another mystery that will probably stay under wraps. 

Someone needs to break free in the family that is willing to spill some tea!

I’m trying to figure out how Si ‘does real estate’.  He doesn’t have an agent license, and their brokerage seems to exist only so they can buy shit for themselves or help close fundie associates. Maybe it’s like how Joy ‘does Bible College’ according to the webisode with Lauren and her sister.

14 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I’m trying to figure out how Si ‘does real estate’.  He doesn’t have an agent license, and their brokerage seems to exist only so they can buy shit for themselves or help close fundie associates. Maybe it’s like how Joy ‘does Bible College’ according to the webisode with Lauren and her sister.

The brokerage owns rental properties. That means there’s work to be done finding properties to buy, fixing them up, finding tenants, keeping track of rent, doing maintenance, etc. Si can work for the family business without being a realtor himself.

My ex-sister-in-law is one of those people who cannot shut up about how amazing her life is, or how fantastic her relationships are, on social media. Every other post is a workout selfie or an “I appreciate my wonderful man” post. Funny, though, how quickly she drops those wonderful men for someone new. She also typically spends the next several weeks trashing them by vague-booking about what “real men” are. She’s not the problem, of course, it’s all these fake men! 

In person she’s a miserable, angry, complainer. But online she’s the happiest woman on earth! 

I always think of her when I read Jilly Muffin’s desperate hashtags. 

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

What’s this about Joy and Bible College?

It may be that Lauren's parents have expectations for all their children to go to an accredited brick and mortar college before getting married, which in fundiedom, especially Duggarville, stands out in a positive way.

I think that Josiah seemed dead in the eyes when he discussed working in the family business.  Joy definitely looked miserable.  

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived