IGNORED

Dillards 64: Now with Multi-Level Marketing!

Georgiana

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

YES! What is that? I have a couple of friends who are obsessed with that. Why is that a thing? 

Because having sons makes life CHAOTIC and FUN unlike having daughters (who we all know are sedentary organisms and never rowdy or wacky)

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so this is kind of related to hummus... It's on the subject of tahini, at least, and I had to share. You know that frozen peanut butter pie people made in 1950s America? Peanut butter, cream cheese, cool whip, way too much sugar, bang it in a premade graham cracker crust and freeze it? Well, this weekend, I made... tahini mousse pie. Substitute the peanut butter for tahini and the cool whip for freshly whipped cream, plop it in a homemade dark chocolate cookie crust. I found the recipe on this youtube video under the spoiler. GUYS. IT'S SO GOOD. Like peanut butter, but ~*fAnCy*~ I recommend trying it.

Spoiler

As for the boy mom hashtag, for most it is because they are the mom of boys, nothing more. I've also seen moms using the hashtag girlmom because they have girls. 

Remember sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, no need to look for hidden meanings in everything. 

On 9/3/2018 at 8:52 AM, Drala said:

But who's covering the Dillard family's rent, utilities, groceries, clothing, health & automobile insurance, gas & other transportation costs? 

Dirty Jesus might have a PLUS loan.  My youngest son got enough loan money to live on and pay for school, for three (turns out it was only two years), while he pursued his MS.  

5 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

She's so young to have those crow's feet at the edge of her eyes and wrinkles on her forehead.

Well, I've had crow's feet or whatever those lines are called when I smile since I was 23. Thanks for the dig at all the rest of us humans with normal skin.

#boymom sounds like something someone uses when they really wanted girls and are trying to tell themselves boys are okay too.

Eh, I think Jill looks fine in the picture. If anything, it looks as though all three are almost looking down into the camera/phone. It could just be a bad angle.

I think Jill needs a friend, a hobby or both. Instagram seems to have become what occupies a lot of her time as it appears she is looking for things to post practically everyday. She seems bored. She likely misses the constant activity at her parents’ house. 

38 minutes ago, JillyO said:

While you're talking about #boymom, I'm just trying to understand WTF kind of stupid hashtag #goinforawalk is. #JesusLovesTheMall

#boymom just makes me think she is a boy and a mom

I don’t get the #boymum problem....

Yes- the hashtag is definitely more used then its girlmom counterpart (5.6m - 1.7m).

I think it is people referencing that their children all have the same sex and that they love it as it is while in society you always get the ideal of at least one of each. So many are annoyed that they get asked if they feel complete (and if men miss out without a boy/ women miss out without a girl) or by stupid jokes (haha you are always in the loosing position) when they just love their children. 

I think #boymom is just more used because it is mostly mothers posting stuff like that on Instagram and they are the ones who get the “but don’t you want a girl too” comments.

And because I see the tendency to think mothers of boys are cooler because sports, outside activities... and no dolls and frills. Which is sad because I think it plays too much into stereotypes and there is nothing objectively cooler in showing a digger compared to Barbie’s dreamhouse. 

While thinking about this I wonder why not more use the girlmom hashtag. It’s like stereotypical boy stuff is cool while stereotypical girl stuff is bad/lame/not ok with a modern mindset. I say- proudly show of the pink and the mud! 

3 hours ago, beepy13 said:

Well, I've had crow's feet or whatever those lines are called when I smile since I was 23. Thanks for the dig at all the rest of us humans with normal skin.

Thank you. I'm a very smiley person and I have those eyeside wrinckes since I was twenty something. It's not because the sun, it is because the smile and the type of skin. And yes, I use moisturize and sunscreen and I do not work outdoors.

On the opposite, my grandma is 87 and has almost no wrinkles! She has NEVER used moisturize, sunscreen, nothing. Her skin has always been very greasy and she has always been chubby and it helps avoiding wrinkles.

I know it is a snark forum and even the slightly detail is good to snark. But a lot of assumptions are made here (ha ha) and sometimes people read too much in pictures. Fundies may do a lot of mistakes, but I think we should be careful when critisizing them for not being physically perfect, because most of times there are just normal. 

I think Jill, of all the Duggars, has the perpetual "anxious" look on her face, particularly around the eyes, even when she's smiling. She holds a lot of tension in her face. I imagine that might translate to early wrinkles for her.

Jill aside, I actually really like crow's feet.  Is that weird?  I am one of those people who think men, especially, just get better and better looking as they age--and for whatever reason, I seem to find a good set of crow's feet very sexy. 

That being said, I'm going to go off on a thread drift drift and ask for recommendations for a good moisturizer with sunscreen.   FTR, I am 50 (!) and have fairly normal skin, neither dry nor oily.  I want something with good sun protection but that won't clog my pores.  I feel like everything I have been using ends up causing ends up giving me little white zits.  :(

14 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I am one of those people who think men, especially, just get better and better looking as they age--and for whatever reason, I seem to find a good set of crow's feet very sexy. 

I think that's pretty common. Men typically aren't judged for aging the way women are. A lot of people view signs of aging in men as making them look more dignified, while the same signs are viewed negatively in women.

24 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Jill aside, I actually really like crow's feet.  Is that weird?  I am one of those people who think men, especially, just get better and better looking as they age--and for whatever reason, I seem to find a good set of crow's feet very sexy. 

Nothing wrong with some wrinkles!

Spoiler

image.png.64c2dd35e160494c204d80acaa4f1653.png

Spoiler

image.png.c06f6a8818a2080ad3cbeac14faba195.png

Spoiler

image.png.03f0e9e0ff15f8ca23cdd5565fbfcdba.png

Edit to add: 

Sam's giving the side eye and Izzy looks bored.

My favorite sunscreen is Vichy Sport SPF 60. It comes in and orange tube. It's non greasy and doesn't melt off as soon as you break a sweat. I moisturize and apply sunscreen daily, and my late 30's skin looks great. I don't look like a babyfaced 20 year old, but people tend to be surprised by my age. I know sun worshippers who are younger than I am who look really weathered. I don't think Jill looks that old, I mean, she's 27. Most people have some expression lines at that age. Plus she doesn't strike me as the type to fuss over skin care.

15 hours ago, socalrules said:

Eh, I think Jill looks fine in the picture. If anything, it looks as though all three are almost looking down into the camera/phone. It could just be a bad angle.

I think Jill needs a friend, a hobby or both. Instagram seems to have become what occupies a lot of her time as it appears she is looking for things to post practically everyday. She seems bored. She likely misses the constant activity at her parents’ house. 

or a freaking, family supporting job

It’s funny, to me, that when Jill is in so many photos she’s called out on it - but in society in general women often avoid being in photos because they aren’t made up, or they think they look fat, or their hair is a mess. There’s some thing I always see going around urging moms to put themselves in photos, because when your children are looking back at memories, they’ll want to see you - laughing, blinking, stained shirt, messy hair, feeling fat and all. I  know I’ve been REALLY guilty of avoiding the photos , and have set a bad example for my daughters. I’m trying to change that, but it’s hard! 

13 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t get the #boymum problem....

Yes- the hashtag is definitely more used then its girlmom counterpart (5.6m - 1.7m).

I think it is people referencing that their children all have the same sex and that they love it as it is while in society you always get the ideal of at least one of each. So many are annoyed that they get asked if they feel complete (and if men miss out without a boy/ women miss out without a girl) or by stupid jokes (haha you are always in the loosing position) when they just love their children. 

I think #boymom is just more used because it is mostly mothers posting stuff like that on Instagram and they are the ones who get the “but don’t you want a girl too” comments.

And because I see the tendency to think mothers of boys are cooler because sports, outside activities... and no dolls and frills. Which is sad because I think it plays too much into stereotypes and there is nothing objectively cooler in showing a digger compared to Barbie’s dreamhouse. 

While thinking about this I wonder why not more use the girlmom hashtag. It’s like stereotypical boy stuff is cool while stereotypical girl stuff is bad/lame/not ok with a modern mindset. I say- proudly show of the pink and the mud! 

Our 3 are all girls, my hashtag is #dramamama. 

We do music, art, 4-H, animals, mud, dirt, hunting, etc.  I encourage my kids to pursue their interests and hardly post about them on social media (I get their permission first), whether it's  jumping in puddles or playing the dulcimer.  

Just came here to see if anyone was talking about Jill's post about her praying for her #BestHubbyEver and her boys, and the picture of what she is reading is Proverbs 5 warning against adultery? Is she really worried about Izzy and Sam's future faithfulness to their spouses?

She's probably reading Proverbs 5 because it's the 5th of the month, and as Proverbs has 31 chapters it's really common to read a chapter per day throughout the month. I wouldn't read anything much more into the fact that she's reading that particular chapter while praying for her husband and boys.

The real question is why she has it all highlighted in the first place.

Crow feet wrinkles is an interesting expression I had never heard before. In Spanish they are called rooster feet. I think crow is more poetic, or gothic, by the way. 

I really enjoy learning new English words here in FJ. I can say I'm studying instead of snarking!

6 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

She's probably reading Proverbs 5 because it's the 5th of the month, and as Proverbs has 31 chapters it's really common to read a chapter per day throughout the month. I wouldn't read anything much more into the fact that she's reading that particular chapter while praying for her husband and boys.

The real question is why she has it all highlighted in the first place.

She highlighted it for Derick to remind him not to be tempted by all those worldly wimmenz in his law classes. Since she cant be physically in the class with him, like how she shielded him from temptation with her presence on that mission trip to Colorado. 

12 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

She's probably reading Proverbs 5 because it's the 5th of the month, and as Proverbs has 31 chapters it's really common to read a chapter per day throughout the month.

Do the Dillards read through Proverbs every month? For a long time, Derick was tweeting verses from the Proverbs chapter matching the day of the month, too. I get, like, a sunday school class doing a month-long study of Proverbs every year, but these people seem to do it constantly.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived