IGNORED

Dillards 64: Now with Multi-Level Marketing!

Georgiana

I remember seeing a very early clip of them where they show that one of Josh's responsibilities was something in the kitchen. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Weird, someone posted almost this EXACT comment last time Jill posted a picture of the toy kitchen (maybe 3 or 4 months ago?).  I don't really understand where this idea comes from because the Duggars have never associated cooking with homosexuality, Jill has showed off Derick's cooking, we've seen Jim Bob "cooking" (see: the infamous barbecue sauce tuna), and the boys sometimes helped out in the kitchen.  I mean, as kids, it was the girls' jurisdiction, but it's not as if cooking has ever been off-limits to the males.  

Ha! I must have missed that one. I guess they haven't explicitly said anything about cooking not being for boys, but like you said it was always the girls' jurisdiction. I'm also drawing on my experience of other patriarchal and conservative Christians who have this attitude that one false step can derail your child's sexuality completely. So you must affirm their gender identity assigned at birth at every moment, including playtime, to prevent them from "turning" gay. 

I mean, Josiah's recent display of "cooking" was literally just heating up old leftovers. So even though the Duggar boys "help out" they obviously aren't expected to know much. But then again, we've seen Jill's cooking and it seems like she wasn't expected to know much either, so I don't even know. 

Almost all fundy men PLAY at cooking, Ben, however, seems to enjoy creating food.  Go Ben. ?

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Almost all fundy men PLAY at cooking, Ben, however, seems to enjoy creating food.  Go Ben. ?

It beats eating crap or going hungry.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I remember seeing a very early clip of them where they show that one of Josh's responsibilities was something in the kitchen. 

I was trying to find that clip and was unsuccessful. I think it was probably a local news clip and I'm pretty sure it was when Josh was 12 and they had, or were about to have, 12 children, so it would have had to be back in 2000.

Anyway, in looking for it I reread some of the old articles about them, like this one Michelle wrote for Parents magazine in 2003. She writes,

We usually all eat dinner together at around 5 p.m. The three oldest plan and prepare evening meals. They like to do that because they get to choose the menus!

If she actually means the three oldest children like she wrote, and not the three oldest girls, then that would include two boys.

And this one from 2001 says:

Without being asked, the older children will get the younger ones' meals or change their diapers. Each child has particular chores, like taking out the trash, that he or she automatically does. Josh is the family grill expert and makes dinner so his parents are free to visit. 

It also included a bunch of nicknames I didn't remember!

The "we" includes Joshua, "Joshy," 13; twins Jana, "Banana," and John-David, 11; Jill "Muffin," 10; Jessa, "Blessa," 8; Jinger, "Jin-Jin," 7; Joseph, "Joe-Joe," 6; Josiah, "Siah," 5; Joy-Anna, "Jogees," 3; "The Dynamic Duo" twins Jedidiah and Jeremiah, 2; Jason, "Jay Bird," 1, who with "The Dynamic Duo" forms "The Three Musketeers"; and James, 8 weeks. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

It beats eating crap or going hungry.

I think he had too because his standards for food is significantly higher than the duggars.

@Rachel333, they said in their first book that Michelle didn’t really write the article; a journalist chose to write it in the first person. The first TV special happened because a producer saw the article.

I have spent my Saturday reading this entire thread and my god I can't help but hope Jill's life improves. No one deserves to be so obviously unhappy. I admit I blame Derick for most of it though Jill is obviously at fault to. I consider it mostly to be Derick's fault because unlike Jill he wasn't raised in this Quiverfull, cult-like crazy town. His dad went to an actual college and from what I can tell his brother has an actual job (does anyone know if that's true or what the job is?) So this train to crazy town just gets weirder and weirder from him. Jill on the other hand... well unfortunately she was doomed from the start, her lot in life was this crazy family and while I don't think she expected her life to turn out this way, much like Anna, I don't think there was anything she could've done. Now - again like Anna -  I wish she'd leave him but given that her family would likely turn her back on her I don't see that happening. 

and re; the sushi thing from a few pages back. Anything in the south or midwest marketed as 'Asian' is really just that, generic Asian. I live in Korea and my grandparents and cousins all live in St. Louis and I can honestly tell you that none of them could tell Chinese, Korean or Japanese food apart much less South East Asian food so it's probably a fusion restaurant. 

10 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Yeah, this is yet another attempt at a joke by Derick and Jill.  But because Derick comes across as utterly humourless and ignoring his kid almost by default, it falls a bit flat.  

Yep as usual they miss the mark. A pic with Sam as a "study buddy" could have gone the cute route if Wreck was engaging with him at all, or it could have been funny if Sam was distracting him from the book somehow. Sorry Dillards try again. Maybe wait till you capture a genuine moment...

6 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I live in Korea and my grandparents and cousins all live in St. Louis

I'd be curious to know their take on Mai Lee and Lemon Grass, if they've been to either place. Also Truc Lam.

(GryffindorDisappointment's dear friend is Asian - she moved here as a young child - and she and her family LOVE Truc Lam and Mai Lee. Our whole family loves Lemon Grass.)

10 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

and re; the sushi thing from a few pages back. Anything in the south or midwest marketed as 'Asian' is really just that, generic Asian. I live in Korea and my grandparents and cousins all live in St. Louis and I can honestly tell you that none of them could tell Chinese, Korean or Japanese food apart much less South East Asian food so it's probably a fusion restaurant. 

This is patently untrue, and I have lived in the South my entire life.  We have distinct restaurants from all forms of Asian cuisine, including distinct forms of Chinese cuisine.  Of course there are generic chain type places as well.

And in Bentonville and Rogers, where the Duggars live nearby, there are TONS of really good, high-quality restaurants, thanks to an influx of high earners due to Walmart.  Bentonville is really actually a nice town with a lot to offer.

12 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

This is patently untrue, and I have lived in the South my entire life.  We have distinct restaurants from all forms of Asian cuisine, including distinct forms of Chinese cuisine.  Of course there are generic chain type places as well.

And in Bentonville and Rogers, where the Duggars live nearby, there are TONS of really good, high-quality restaurants, thanks to an influx of high earners due to Walmart.  Bentonville is really actually a nice town with a lot to offer.

Midwest. We have distinct Asian restaurants as well. 

Omaha has actually made some lists as a top "foodie city" in the past five years. We have many, many  ethnic options here and tons are amazing local restaurants. 

I only go back a few pages when I read, so I may have missed someone already saying this.....Jill would be smart to get into direct sales..honestly. She DOES have fans and many would probably sign up, that's SOME income (more than the average person would make, most likely)..

Ashley Salyer now is a FFF Partner too, also does a decent post, meanwhile Jillymuffin’s is still gone without a trace. How does the partner model work?

2 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

How does the partner model work?

Okay, take this with the understanding it's very new for me. Basically, someone from the brand reaches out explains their marketing goals and company goals, shows you/ gives you scripts for their product, talks to you to see if you're "a fit"/ not crazy. Then either they give you free stuff with a requirement # of posts, or like FFF special codes where if your link is used by enough people you get what you're showing off free then can build into the financial part.

In my case the clothing company is still rather local/young so they wanted to know my schedule and what I had planned to give me "options" in the box of clothes I got sent. I don't have to wear everything in there, but I am expected to wear 2 complete outfits in a month and accessories 2x month. I can have them review/ edit the photos if I'd like. As someone who sparsely posted photos of myself, it's new territory. I assume FFF has similar requirements around photo/ video quality.

ETA: The other partnership I have is with a non-US company, so it's a bit different. Basically, get free glasses and take photos of the different frames with requirements on what shade my eyes should be. One time lapse video showing my eye color changing from the glasses frame color.

6 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Ashley Salyer now is a FFF Partner too, also does a decent post, meanwhile Jillymuffin’s is still gone without a trace. How does the partner model work?

I'm still irrationally annoyed that Ashley got a Devacut and hastagged it #Divacut instead. :pb_lol: Gurl, you paid at least $70 for that haircut. Spell it right. 

6 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Ashley Salyer now is a FFF Partner too, also does a decent post, meanwhile Jillymuffin’s is still gone without a trace.

There's still to much scandal with Jill. Even if people could look past Josh, could they look past Derick? He's had some pretty awful posts recently and has pissed enough people off.

I still say an MLM will come. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

There's still to much scandal with Jill. Even if people could look past Josh, could they look past Derick? He's had some pretty awful posts recently and has pissed enough people off.

I still say an MLM will come. 

I'm just surprised she was offered a partner box to begin with given those are the circumstances. And surely brand reps would look at the feed/quality of images and pre-determine whether someone has what it takes? Thanks, @cascarones

I caved and bought the fall box of FFF. There was a tote bag and adorable teapot that I just couldn't pass up. Jill's post did not inspire me though :) It was someone else on IG that I follow.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:59 AM, Daisy0322 said:

I think JB likes being in control of the young couples financially. He probably isn't looking to marry a daughter off to a breadwinner. And he gave his sons aboutvthe same start he had so I don't think he feel as though he failed them. 

Alternate therory for the daughters being that with the victim blaming after josh they had less of a fundie male suitor  pool to choose from. Which is horrible but wouldn't surprise me.

Sad to say it wouldn't surprise me, either. in a culture where knees are an erogenous zone and kissing is only for marriage, I'm sure the Duggar girls are considered used bicycles.
And I also agree JB likes to control the adult couples financially (in that sense, kudos to Jinger and Joy). I don't follow IG, but it seems as if since law school Dwreck is only posting stupid pictures and not hateful diatribes, or embarrassing vids of Michelle verbally abusing her kids and turning on a dime. So I wouldn't be surprised if JB is paying for law school on the condition that Dreck stfu on social media.

Paying for law school is one thing. Money for that could come from loans and/or scholarships.  I can't believe JB would pay D'Wreck's tuition when he's OK with barely educating his own children. 

But who's covering the Dillard family's rent, utilities, groceries, clothing, health & automobile insurance, gas & other transportation costs?  I'm guessing the expenses associated with a family of four are greater than the cost of law shool tuition, and these expenses are a lot more pressing and immediate than school tuition.  If JB isn't supporting the Dillard family, who is?  And why would JB do this?  It's a way to keep D'Wreck from going rogue and selling his story to the entertainment media, which I think he was threatening to do with his tweets about not getting paid by TLC.   I've also noticed how vanilla D'Wreck's tweets have gotten.  His silence must be a line item in the Duggar Family trust.  

my pvr has been acting up so I rewatched the episode where of jill asks JB for jill's hand and i was struck about how pathetic it was....and laughed out loud about him providing for jill because he got this fabulous job 

It was like a soap opera 

then i promptly deleted it. 

problem solved. 

3 hours ago, Drala said:

Paying for law school is one thing. Money for that could come from loans and/or scholarships.  I can't believe JB would pay D'Wreck's tuition when he's OK with barely educating his own children. 

But who's covering the Dillard family's rent, utilities, groceries, clothing, health & automobile insurance, gas & other transportation costs?  I'm guessing the expenses associated with a family of four are greater than the cost of law shool tuition, and these expenses are a lot more pressing and immediate than school tuition.  If JB isn't supporting the Dillard family, who is?  And why would JB do this?  It's a way to keep D'Wreck from going rogue and selling his story to the entertainment media, which I think he was threatening to do with his tweets about not getting paid by TLC.   I've also noticed how vanilla D'Wreck's tweets have gotten.  His silence must be a line item in the Duggar Family trust.  

A friend's husband (who is kind of a jackass to start with) decided he needed to change careers and go to law school at about the same age Derick is. They didn't have kids and she worked full time as a teacher. 

He got loans to pay all of his tuition and fees plus some extra each term to supplement their living expenses. This meant they were able to live quite nicely. They had two people, an $800 dog (that they got during law school), a mortgage, two nice cars, and took expensive trips at least twice a year for the duration. She made about $10,000 a year more than me for that three years and I was single and paying very low rent. But they were doing way better than me. So Derick could be taking out loans that cover part of their living expenses. Without another income and two kids, they wouldn't do as well as my friend and her jackass did, but then they would only need supplemental help from some other source. 

Of course, the downside for my friend was that neither of them thought ahead to what it would be like paying off those loans and they also had their first kid immediately after law school (literally 9 months after he graduated). The vacations are gone and he's been driving the same vehicle for the eleven years since he graduated. Money is a lot tighter now with two incomes. Go figure. But planning ahead has never been her strength and he's apparently the same in that area. I'm guessing the Dillards don't plan ahead either because in their world "God will provide". 

Jilly muffin just blocked me on instagram because she posted a picture of her with some hummus & I had the nerve to ask her why she feels the need to make every photo a selfie? I asked why she can't just post a picture of the hummus. And then asked her if she's that full of herself? Haha I feel like just won some kind of badge of honor!!!

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived