IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

Essential oils can be downright dangerous, but a lot of people who promote them don't acknowledge that. I've read about so many cases of people injuring themselves, their children (it's especially dangerous for premature babies but apparently common enough to the point where some NICUs are warning parents ahead of time against using essential oils on their babies), and their pets with essential oils. Then there are all the people who advocate for their use in lieu of proper medical treatment. And to add to that, a lot of people are getting their essential oils from companies like doTERRA and Young Living, which are unethical, predatory multi-level marketing schemes. If essential oils help you relax that's great, but I'm extremely wary of people advocating for their use beyond that.

As for pharmaceutical companies, I do think that many of the people who run them are downright evil and that people shouldn't have to pay so much for medications. I think our whole health care system in the US needs a major overhaul. Something that bothers me, though, is that people will complain about pharmaceutical companies but then give a total pass to all the companies marketing unregulated "natural" products for a profit. I actually have more of a problem with those companies' methods than the companies that spend years developing, testing, and getting FDA approval for new medications, most of which never make it to market and thus earn the company no money.

I also hate the false "natural" vs "chemicals" divide. "Natural" doesn't mean safe, and "chemicals" means basically nothing--everything is chemicals! This is the ingredients list for a banana, for example:

ingredients-of-a-banana-poster-4.jpeg?w=

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, mstee said:

Random tidbit but my mom was able to use red yeast rice pills to control her cholesterol for many years. May be something worth looking into for yourself. 

My doctor recommended that. My cholesterol was borderline. Works so far.

1 hour ago, Peaches1981 said:

Do you mind sharing what you use for headaches? I have tried the doTerra roll on and the smell makes my headache worse. Otherwise l use a roll on from Saje which is Peppermint and i love the smell and the cooling sensation but it has minimal effect on the headach pain.

Thanks! 

Unfortunately it is the DoTerra blend that actually works for me. My daughter can’t tolerate it so it doesn’t help her either. My guess is that the wintergreen is the harsh ingredient that bothers you. If you know someone who’s really into oils and has a wide collection, maybe they could make you a blend that uses all the ingredients except wintergreen.

8 hours ago, Peaches1981 said:

Do you mind sharing what you use for headaches? I have tried the doTerra roll on and the smell makes my headache worse. Otherwise l use a roll on from Saje which is Peppermint and i love the smell and the cooling sensation but it has minimal effect on the headach pain.

Thanks! 

I know you weren't asking me but if you don't mind I'm going to share what I use....it's all natural too (in the essential oil family) It's "Badger headache soother" its a .6 oz stick for $8.44 on Amazon. Mine is out in my Jeep so I don't know the ingredients in it but I know one is peppermint essential oil. It looks like a big chapstick and you roll it on your forehead and temples and it's soooooo cooling and soothing. It's amazing. I swear by it. Smells great & honestly relieves my headaches. So that's my 2 cents for what it's worth!! :) 

I always use japanese peppermint oil when I have headaches. I put it on my forehead and under my nose. It helps me a lot, my mum uses it too. I used it for my migraines too, the cooling effect was very helpful, but when I had migraines I always took an Ibuprofen 400mg, Or 800 mg, it depended on how hard the migraine was. Today I do no longer suffer from migraine,I only have normal headaches, which I had to get used to. My mum never takes pain killers, she just gets through the paine. When she had a small herniated disc (? Leo...) two years ago, she took severe pain killers for the first time in her life and was a little bit ... well let's say funny. She talked a lot, my dad was amused, just like us. The doctors prescribed it with the lowest dose, when she told them that she even does not take Paracetamol. It works for her. But every Person is different. And when my mum had that little teeth-operation last years, she took a Ibuprofen by choice, I couldn't believe my ears when she told me.

I use peppermint oil for headaches as well.  I mix a couple of drops with a tblsp or so of carrier oil,and dab it on my temples, back of my head where it joins my neck, some on my wrists and a little on space between my upper lip and my nose.  I have found however, that you need to use really good quality oils, the peppermint I got from Living Libations (a Canadian company), was the best I've used.  I've also used essential oil blends when my breathing was bad (I have asthma), but would never replace my pharma drugs for my asthma with the oils.

I get frequent headaches and have found acupressure really good for headaches as well.  I will still take pharmaceuticals for a really bad, tenacious headache though. (I use the pressure point between the thumb and finger)

https://www.massagemag.com/soothe-prevent-headaches-power-touch-35270/

Pharmaceuticals are obviously amazing and have saved many lives, but you still need to be super careful about what you're taking.  My mother was given Topomax as an anti seizure medication and it really effed with her head.  She had to leave work and retire early as it left her with cognitive issues, as per several health care providers (including her insurance company).   You shouldn't trust any "drug" or treatment blindly and should always research what you are given and watch for bad side affects.

20 hours ago, LunaBlue said:

@Shadoewolf  I can't believe how inflated prices are for medicines  in America.

The NHS isn't perfect but our prescription charges are only £8.80 per item.  You can even pay an annual fee of £104 which will cover all prescriptions for a year.  Of course, if you're under the age of 16 (19 if you're in full time education), over 60 or receiving benefits all prescriptions are free.

I now treat my stress related eczema with medical grade manuka honey after relying on steroid creams and oral antibiotics for a number of years. My GP actually suggested that I might like to give it a try since I was worried about the skin thinning effects of strong steroid creams. It worked for me.  If it stops working, I'll go back to conventional treatments.  It's great to have a choice though for minor ailments.

My dad, on the other hand, relies on a cocktail of drugs to keep him alive due to various medical conditions and several strokes over the last two years.  I'm grateful that he has a great NHS doctor who monitors and balances all their various interactions so that he's able to have the best quality of life possible.  

Shout out to the Manuka Honey ! Amazing on any kind of skin condition. Also fantastic in Golden milk.

I use a combo of conventional and traditional / herbal / alternative remedies. Whatever works the best, with the fewest bad effects. Sometimes it’s a Dr. prescription, sometimes it’s an alternate. Frankly, I think it’s incredibly patronizing when people out of hand dismiss remedies that have been developed and used by healers for centuries if they don’t have a Western medical degree. 

2 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Shout out to the Manuka Honey ! Amazing on any kind of skin condition. Also fantastic in Golden milk.

It's been a bit of a miracle treatment for me.  The final straw came when I removed a low adhesive dressing from my arm and a cm of (repeatedly steroid treated) skin came away with the dressing.  The wound was small but the pain was awful. 

As an adult, I can choose to opt to treat my outbreaks this way but I wouldn't recommend that my niece, who's a toddler, uses it as anything other than a complementary treatment under the guidance of her doctor as there's a real danger of sepsis from infected eczema.  As an adult I can articulate unusual symptoms but young children (and pets) can't.  I think that maybe why people feel so passionately about the subject. 

On a lighter note, I knew that that Abbi Grace was trouble from the moment I saw her.  She only added that book to her wedding registry to sow discord in the FJ community.  It can't be JD.  He probably thinks essential oils are a valet treatment for plane engines.

If she adds peanut butter (smooth OR crunchy) to the registry, I shall have no choice but to believe that she's actually Satan's Helpmeet. :5624796c41285_DastardlyEviledevil:

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I use a combo of conventional and traditional / herbal / alternative remedies. Whatever works the best, with the fewest bad effects. Sometimes it’s a Dr. prescription, sometimes it’s an alternate. Frankly, I think it’s incredibly patronizing when people out of hand dismiss remedies that have been developed and used by healers for centuries if they don’t have a Western medical degree. 

I have used Manuka Honey in hot water with lemon to help my cold/sore throat. How do you use it for the skin? Do you put a dab on the skin and then cover it overnight? Or?

I try to use a combo of medication and natural remedies. 

9 minutes ago, Peaches1981 said:

I have used Manuka Honey in hot water with lemon to help my cold/sore throat. How do you use it for the skin? Do you put a dab on the skin and then cover it overnight? Or?

I try to use a combo of medication and natural remedies. 

For skin things I usually use something called MediHoney, which is Manuka Honey in a tube that’s a paste type consistency. I’ve gotten mine off Amazon, but I think some stores carry it as well. If I’m out I’ll put a dab of the straight honey on a rash or burn or blister and cover it.

Manuka honey was my mom's main request from when I was in New Zealand. I brought her back a tub that I think I bought at a farmer's market.

Speaking of traditional remedies, I think cases like this one are really interesting. Scientists replicated a medieval stye treatment made from fermented cow bile. I don't know who first decided to let cow bile sit with other ingredients for 9 days and then put that "loathsome, odorous slime" on their eyes, but it worked! Results were comparable to  some modern antibiotics. And because it worked scientists are studying it further. Those old remedies are the basis for a lot of modern treatments; it's definitely not a dichotomy.

1 hour ago, Peaches1981 said:

How do you use it for the skin? Do you put a dab on the skin and then cover it overnight? Or?

Like @Mama Mia, I use the medi grade honey which comes in a tube.  I get three small tubes from Amazon or Ebay for about £10 and a little goes a long way.

I apply it to a low adhesive dressing and then apply the dressing to my skin to cover the problem area.  For obvious reasons, don't use cotton wool. :penguin-no:  (Ouch...)

On 8/11/2018 at 10:37 AM, Shadoewolf said:

My Maxalt for my migraines used to cost nearly $100 per pill

Migraines are a beast that cannot be described, cannot be fully conquered or tamed.

I believe in meeting a medical condition where it is at and treating it accordingly with guidance. My father is a doctor, yet first line of defense was still a NA family recipe concoction.  Unless you needed antibiotics, you got better in a flash because that sassafras syrup mix tasted so awful.  :)

Dietary efforts do have huge impacts on a number of conditions (migraines included), but genetics also play a large part in the aging process. I'm lucky that no blood pressure or sugar issues run in my family, that my mother who eats whatever she wants in her late sixties is within ten pounds of me. 

Health can be moderated and mediated, but it certainly isn't fair.

8 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

For skin things I usually use something called MediHoney, which is Manuka Honey in a tube that’s a paste type consistency. I’ve gotten mine off Amazon, but I think some stores carry it as well. If I’m out I’ll put a dab of the straight honey on a rash or burn or blister and cover it.

Is that safe to do? I've heard from first aid courses, nurses, and EMTs that nothing should go on a burn, not even creams; just put it under running lukewarm water for 20 minutes to cool the skin down, and then keep it covered if it's minor, or go seek medical attention if it's bigger than your hand or if it's blistering and on your face, hands, or genitals. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Is that safe to do? I've heard from first aid courses, nurses, and EMTs that nothing should go on a burn, not even creams; just put it under running lukewarm water for 20 minutes to cool the skin down, and then keep it covered if it's minor, or go seek medical attention if it's bigger than your hand or if it's blistering and on your face, hands, or genitals. 

I don’t remember the policy here on links - but if you google it, there’s been several clinical studies, and FDA approval, showing it is very effective on burns.  Obviously for a major burn I’d go to the ER. 

Aah, essential oils. I use them topically a lot- rose oil, rosewater, and witch hazel makes an awesome toner. My skin has never looked better. Peppermint's great for my migraines, lavender for when I need to chill the fuck out. But they are NEVER a replacement for necessary medication. They will never cure cancer, or strep, or autoimmune conditions. I wonder if Abbie's nursing training will make her more sensible as to when to stop using oils and go to a real doctor- or if she'll be overconfident and rely on her training and oils when its inappropriate to do so. 

I wonder if Abby will have Josie Bates do her hair for the wedding. I say this because if you go and check out who the Johnandabbie IG follows it's all duggar's with the exception that they follow Hair_by_Josieb

21 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've heard from first aid courses, nurses, and EMTs that nothing should go on a burn, not even creams; just put it under running lukewarm water for 20 minutes to cool the skin down, and then keep it covered if it's minor, or go seek medical attention if it's bigger than your hand or if it's blistering and on your face, hands, or genitals. 

That's exactly because it's not safe to do. Anything but water just seals in the burn and invites infections. 

On 8/9/2018 at 10:29 PM, nausicaa said:

I would scrub my toilet and hand wash my underwear every day if it meant I never had to do grocery shopping ever again. 

I get to do our grocery shopping on the weekends. Then go to my mom's during the week once a week and take her to do hers. 

And I HATE grocery shopping. 

(And, no, we don't want hers delivered, she needs to get out of her damn house sometimes. And, no, I'm not getting hers with mine and taking them to her because she is 65 miles away and in summer the ice cream would melt and she needs those calories and that's just one reason. She needs the independence and control of going to the store and getting to make her own choices as much as she can)

If you put something on a burn: cream, butter, salve etc, and end up going to the ER, be prepared to be in some pain while the nurses wash (scrub) it off. Cool water only.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, SamiKatz said:

I get frequent headaches and have found acupressure really good for headaches as well.  I will still take pharmaceuticals for a really bad, tenacious headache though. (I use the pressure point between the thumb and finger)

https://www.massagemag.com/soothe-prevent-headaches-power-touch-35270/

Pharmaceuticals are obviously amazing and have saved many lives, but you still need to be super careful about what you're taking.  My mother was given Topomax as an anti seizure medication and it really effed with her head.  She had to leave work and retire early as it left her with cognitive issues, as per several health care providers (including her insurance company).   You shouldn't trust any "drug" or treatment blindly and should always research what you are given and watch for bad side affects.

My ex was really into learning acupressure way back in the day when we were in high school... Looking at that link you posted, the combo that always worked best on my migraines was 

"1. Reach behind your head and place your thumbs on either side of the spine, just under the bony ridge (called the occipital ridge) at the base of your skull. Press firmly as you slowly tilt your head forward and back. As you lean your head back, you’ll feel your thumbs moving deeper." 

and 

"“Drilling Bamboo” points: With your index fingers, apply pressure to the indentations on either side of the area where the bridge of the nose meets the ridge of the eyebrows for 10 seconds. Release and repeat. This helps to relieve headaches caused by eyestrain and sinus pain."

at the same time. It's hard to do on my own though, and get both points just right. Now I use Hyland's Migraine. I know people hate it, and yes, it has belladonna in it, but it works great for me. Depending on when I catch the migraine, it will either knock it out completely, if I get it early enough, or if not, it will tone it down enough that Motrin will finish it off.

I'll have to check into peppermint though, that sounds interesting. 

Mirgranes are a b!tch. I have never found anything OTC to help my mirgranes. 

Hubby releases my occipitals at least twice a week, miss a day and my temples are screaming. The point between the thumb and finger works ok but not great. Thinking about getting a daith piercing, 3 people I know who have them are doing 110x better.

I suffered from occasional migraines (about 1 per month) and tons of headaches (3-4 days a week) for the longest time. Interestingly I have been migraine and almost completely headache free since I am pregnant (that are nine months now). My grandmother told me it was the same for her and she never had problems again. So hopefully this was it. 

Wouldn’t recommend it as a treatment obviously but I think it is fascinating how bodies sometimes work.

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

Hubby releases my occipitals at least twice a week... <snipped>

Lucky you...

*takes herself off to the prayer closet* :angelic-halofell:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived